Inheritance Series

Astolfo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Inheritance Series is my nemesis. I loathe it, and will gladly back up my position of why it represents the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel in Pulp High Fantasy.

That said, I'm still going to read the last one, because I hate myself. And I'm curious to see what Paolini will do when he's actually forced to advance the plot; far as I can ascertain, the plot jammed in early Eldest, stayed stationary until the very end, then dug itself into a trench with the third book.

Well I just finished the book this weekend. I found it completely stunning. I didn't see any of it coming. It was action packed pure ownage. What happens during the book is nothing like anybody would have predicted. Great job to Chris on that part. Waited 3 years for this book. three years and 840 pages later it was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy of Inheritance for xmas today.

Just read the [i]In the Beginning[/i] summary of events: Quite possibly one of the worst pieces of English literature I have ever read.

"And this happened. Then that happened. And this is why it happened. And then there was another event. And following that another..."

Appreciate it is just a quick reminder to get readers up to speed again, but still sets a really bad opening message about written quality. This does not bode well :(

Without spoilering Rup, I rattled through the first five chapters fairly quickly. Start was... really quite odd. I was reading it and thinking to myself 'this is really s***... but I'm reading at a furious pace and my heart is pounding, so it can't be s***'. Was strange.

Not going to speculate on future works of Paolini until I finish this, other than one: I probably won't read them.

The inheritance series was brilliant. The grammar was meh in places but I focus more on the story. It was hugely creative on Paolini's part and he developed his characters (and the world they live in) really well.

The book inheritance had so many surprising twists it was easy to get lost in the book and forget about real life.

Angela kicks ass. No arguments.

I hope that he does go through with what he said at the end of Inheritance and write more stories about Alagaesia. I'm hoping for some writing about what happens to Murtagh and Thorn and the new order of riders and I would love to hear some history of Angela XD

[quote name='~Renegade~' timestamp='1325517039' post='5744302']
I love these books. I just got Inheritance yesterday but I have to finish the book I am currently reading before I can start on it :(
[/quote]

I was in the same spot, but I said this other book can wait I have been waiting for a long time for inheritance so I have to read it now.

[quote name='Castle Black' timestamp='1325536542' post='5744846']
I was in the same spot, but I said this other book can wait I have been waiting for a long time for inheritance so I have to read it now.
[/quote]

That is what I was thinking. But the book I am reading is SOO good. I have a dilemma...

Started reading Inheritance. Thank goodness for the summary at the beginning or I would have probably had to have gone back and read the other books. It is soooo good.

[spoiler=Semi-Spoiler]
I like how they are bringing the werecats in
[/spoiler]

Note: Quoting this will reveal the spoiler to you.

For some reason I keep on comparing Angela to Marisa from Touhou. [ pictured below ]

[img]http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/054/5/7/marisa_kirisame_by_poisonfrost-d3a9bi2.jpg[/img]

That, and I find her to be the most... intriguing character in the series, by far.

I think Paolini himself is quite brilliant. His grammar isn't the best, but who cares? The best of tales don't need good grammar.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Dwarven King' timestamp='1321604284' post='5650308']
Inheritance...it's literally like RIGHT here in my hands...but I can't read it yet due to more important matters!!!! D:<
[/quote]

Umm...yeah...I FINALLY started reading it today. I got a few pages into it and had to clock in for work. .-.

I am SO thankful for the summary at the beginning though! Thank you!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So it's 5:30... AM... and I'm now eight chapters from the end.

Took a book and a half, but s*** finally got interesting again as the final march began.

I enjoyed how the events at Uru'baen turned out. Looking forward to the last bits, although still rackle with disappointment a bit.

Was it just me, or during Inheritance and Brisingr, were the spin off scenes featuring Roran, Nasuada, Murtagh, Angela at all infinately more interesting than those chapters following Eragon?

I found them all interesting. The only problem was that Eragon had reached the final stage in his character development and there was very little to add whilst the others (especially Angela) had very little development in the other books, although not sure Roran applies there.

[quote name='gimmepie' timestamp='1328108831' post='5793616']
I found them all interesting. The only problem was that Eragon had reached the final stage in his character development and there was very little to add whilst the others (especially Angela) had very little development in the other books, although not sure Roran applies there.
[/quote]

Good point.

I found the Roran to Aroughs bit a bit dull, so it could well be that.

Archived