Inheritance Series

Astolfo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, this is just my personal opinion but Roran should've died in the last book, if only in the battle against Barst. I mean. . . . his character just seems [i]exaggerated[/i] in a way. VERY exaggerated.

Anyway, I'd love to hear Angela's story. She's a VERY interesting character, and I would LOVE to find out more about her.

[quote name='gimmepie' timestamp='1328196016' post='5795283']
That is what makes Roran great. He's just a regular man but through nothing more than determination and cunning he accomplishes things that generally only and elf/rider could.
[/quote]

Yeah, at first he was great, but slowly his character began to grow more and more exaggerated to the point that he survives falling walls and fighting people like Barst - and those are feats greater than what usual elves and riders are capable of. He got a hell load of character development in Eldest and a little more in Brisingr, but in Inheritance, although his role didn't grow any less prominent, he seemed to turn into a character that fueled pointless fillers.

Compared to other characters, he's just . . . . unreal. Eragon, Galbatorix, the elves and Riders, they all had explainable powers within reason, but Roran is just exaggerated to a tremendous extent. While everyone else suffers and countless die - Paolini apparently doesn't hesitate to think of mooks as pointless - Roran rages on like some immortal man. And do you know what the worst thing is? [i]He's not even immortal.[/i]

He didn't even have any wards when he fought against Barst! It might have been better to give him a Dying Moment of Awesomeness, than to have let him live - after all he had been through.

He's more exaggerated than any other character in the Inheritance series . . . . all of this is my personal opinion, but maybe you should keep them in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the chapter Firnen and the couple preceeding it just now... three or four to go.

I just cannot bring myself to read anymore. I struggled to get this far after Galbatorix died but its just getting ridiculous.

The big bad has been long dead, thus everything past this is fast losing any meaning, especially as everything is resolving far too happily. A major character SHOULD have died; either Arya or Roran. Arya being queen and rider, and everyone else living happily ever after aside from Eragon and Arya not being a couple? This just doesn't and shouldn't happen.

[quote name='Doctor Whooves' timestamp='1329022172' post='5812010']
For deaths, I expected Katrina and Murtagh to die.
[/quote]

Yes because Katrina dying would have been devastating, as would Murtagh, since he spent about 3/4 of the series as a baddie. An underexposed baddie too.

Managed to trudge through the rest of it now, trudge being optimal word.

His leaving just went on and on and on and on and on and on...

Saphira and Arya's dragons bit was just plain... well people banged on at my writing how thrown together two characters who got together were, after they had know each other/fought beside each other/saved each others lives for several weeks prior. And these two take one look at each other and are immediately in love. Hastily contrived plot much?

Wasn't even remotely sad at the end because I was so bored by the time I got to it.

First 2 books: brilliant. Third book: Money spinning filler. Fourth book: Flashes of awesome in odd places but dragged a lot and ended without any real loss or devastation to main characters.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to finishing [i]Inheritance[/i] today.
First half kinda dragged for me, but I sped through the last half mad fast, though being away on vacation might have helped.
The beginning summary was helpful, though I still don't remember much. I'll probably reread the whole series one day and appreciate it more.
But as of now, my thoughts on the Inheritance Cycle is pretty much this vv
[quote name='Lazaruz' timestamp='1323086751' post='5688176']
The over all story has some faults, mainly massive ammounts of padding, but the plot itself is pretty amazing, especially for something that began at first in a 15 year olds mind.
[/quote]

Even though it's cliche and even [i]I [/i]was able to predict what things would happen.
[spoiler=As for the final battle]
Eh, it fits, but I wanted more...action. I was picturing Eragon and Galbatorix fighting in the air kinda like how they did with Murtagh and Thorn. And the actual physical battle they had wasn't as good as with Murtagh.
Could have been better in my opinion.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=I loved Roran too, also my favorite character. ]
Dying would have been fine, but I'm happy he got his happy ending after all he went through.[/spoiler]

Good ride, for the most part.

Paolini has stated that he will probably revist Alegaesia at some point in more books, preferably about Roran and Angela.

Personally, I expected a much more grand ending than what happened, but he pretty much summarized the plot of the last 2 books with Angela's fortune in the first book.

I didn't like the new Orrin, which was what he was going for so yay.

Honestly, out of all the characters, Orik was my favorite after Angela. Eragon actually felt like a walking Plot device and walks around with [url=[url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotArmor"]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotArmor[/url]]Plot Armor[/url] set to stun.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1329015095' post='5811856']
I've read the chapter Firnen and the couple preceeding it just now... three or four to go.

I just cannot bring myself to read anymore. I struggled to get this far after Galbatorix died but its just getting ridiculous.

The big bad has been long dead, thus everything past this is fast losing any meaning, especially as everything is resolving far too happily. A major character SHOULD have died; either Arya or Roran. Arya being queen and rider, and everyone else living happily ever after aside from Eragon and Arya not being a couple? This just doesn't and shouldn't happen.
[/quote]

So...someone has to die in order for a book to be good?

• 3 weeks later...

I did find the last book.... bland. I mean everything was to perfect. I understand he wanted to put it that way.

I personally think it would have been a great kick in the teeth for him to make Katrina the last rider. That way no one dies, but you still have the tragic stuff that would make it more realistic. But that would make Roran's entire plot point pointless.

Murtagh's fate... was just obvious. I mean you could always guess it was coming, but nothing awesome happened of it. Really. In fact, you probably could predict 2/3's of the book. I think the one bit that did go well, was Galbatorix. He really didn't disapoint in my book, since there was the build up. And you think they may do well, and then they meet him and he just goes. 'No.' Alas, he feel into the classic villian situation, of talking to long and letting himself get caught of guard.

But Inheritance had so much potential, then feel slightly short of our hopes. Alas, its his world, we are only guests in it.

Archived