Holiday Event: Advent Calander?

Catterjune

Okay so...

A while back (like.. a week ago I think?) I had an idea to make an 'advent calendar' type of thing. If you don't know what that is, instead of giving people one big ass gift for Christmas, it'll be 24 smaller gifts, one for each day leading up to Christmas (starting December 1st.)

Just one problem basically. There's not really any kinds of small gifts the mods are capable of giving regular members. I mean, we can do points and reps and stuff but after the second week, it'll get boring as hell and completely unoriginal.

I think the only other ideas I had was like, a get a free name change free thing, and a minus (some random number) warn thing, but most mods were hesitant on the minus warn thing that so I'd advice against suggestion that...

Which brings me to the next part. I guess... I dunno, I'd need suggestions for what small little things mods can do or give away or something for Christmas. I mean, the default Advent Calendar thing was just gonna be 12 days of +points and 12 days of +reps, but that's boring as hell so... anyone else got any better ideas?

Perhaps each day that something similar to the St Patrick's Day treasure hunt be done. A mod will find a noteworthy topic each day of Advent, edit in some sort of graphical note into the topic. Maybe a question, or puzzle, or something like that. They PM the answer to a mod, who will issue a reward blah blah. Probably best if there's some much less complicated version of this now I look back on it :S

A community Secret Santa on the side sounds good as mentioned. It'll probably give some well-needed activity in Shops and Requests, since they're near dead. Apply for a raffle, get your Secret Santa, randomly rep them or get graphical prizes. Sounds fun, doesn't need sorting really, since it's a community thing that people can opt for or just not enter at all.

Christmas shopping omnom. Set up a temporary pinned shop in Shops, doesn't necessarily have to be solely graphics-based. I dunno. Selling random member stuff. Name changes, raffle tickets for something, dunno. Maybe the raffle should be for some massive prize on Christmas (even though you just want some sort of advent thing, but yeah).

I'm gonna assume there's gonna be tons of unofficial events happening now. Assuming there is, a big affiliation network sounds cool. Shouldn't take long, since it's just copy thread link, paste in other Christmas one. This way, it should encourage activity.

Obviously, this will take a retarded amount of effort which is why I'm pretty sure this will never happen. But people can dream.

[s]And convince YCMaker to change the card maker and stuff on Christmas. And also change the YCM logo christmassy and smexy.[/s]

Ehh... the way the topic I'm planning is just gonna be simple (because simple works best IMO).

Post a topic something like "December 2nd Advent Topic: Post here and Get 25 Points".

Lock the topic at midnight (EST?) and post "December 3rd Advent Topic: Post here and Get +2 Reps."

And so on in that manner. But yeah... Reps and Points are boring as hell. Any other ideas? =\

[quote]Perhaps each day that something similar to the St Patrick's Day treasure hunt be done. A mod will find a noteworthy topic each day of Advent, edit in some sort of graphical note into the topic. Maybe a question, or puzzle, or something like that. They PM the answer to a mod, who will issue a reward blah blah. Probably best if there's some much less complicated version of this now I look back on it :S[/quote]
I honestly think forcing people to put more time into it then I did would be counter intuitive. In any case, the part I'm stuck at is the 'reward' bit. What would be a reasonable-ish gift?

Points and Reps, possibly a free name change. What else?

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1321817813' post='5655330']
Ehh... the way the topic I'm planning is just gonna be simple (because simple works best IMO).

Post a topic something like "December 2nd Advent Topic: Post here and Get 25 Points".

Lock the topic at midnight (EST?) and post "December 3rd Advent Topic: Post here and Get +2 Reps."

And so on in that manner. But yeah... Reps and Points are boring as hell. Any other ideas? =\

I honestly think forcing people to put more time into it then I did would be counter intuitive. In any case, the part I'm stuck at is the 'reward' bit. What would be a reasonable-ish gift?

Points and Reps, possibly a free name change. What else?
[/quote]

Only other thing is graphical prizes. It would probably take ages to organize a graphics team, especially for community events. I know, since I was part of the YCM Awards team. It failed, because the event itself was far too large for about a 5-8 person team.

Reps and points are the only thing but you can always add some sort of gimmick.

[quote name='Welche' timestamp='1321818356' post='5655344']
Ability to view a random topic in the fabled mod forum, add 10% warning to member of their choice (as long as the member has under 50%), thread of their choice stuck for day or more
[/quote]

Mod forum's boring, that second one's spiteful, and if 50+ people get the last one forums will be overrun fast. I had suggested previously making little free Christmassy graphics that people can use for sigs and avatars and such.

[quote name='Kyubey' timestamp='1321839958' post='5656097']

Mod forum's boring, that second one's spiteful, and if 50+ people get the last one forums will be overrun fast. I had suggested previously making little free Christmassy graphics that people can use for sigs and avatars and such.
[/quote]Actually, I think it would be nice if only a select amount of people could get that last one. Could work, maybe only the first 10-20 people. The rest get something else.

The only way I could possibly agree to a +10 warn increase would be if the only acceptable targets were the mods, and they actually did have to go away for a bit once it hit 100 just for lulz. But then like... security risks, and the fact that it might not seem like a gift to some.

Err... not to sound like an overly pompus buffoon, so I won't. I'm sure people like enough of the other mods that aren't me, so something like getting rid of Rinne or Icy or evilfusion for 3 days wouldn't be seen as a reward by a handful.

And sure, there are plenty of people who don't give a damn about reps or points or whatever, but... well it's better to get something you don't give a damn about then to get something you actively do not want.

[quote]I had suggested previously making little free Christmassy graphics that people can use for sigs and avatars and such.[/quote]
Not sure what exactly you mean by that...

They'd have to be personalized for them to mean anything, and if not then you can just post all the ones you made in one topic and the url for all of them, and you could lock the topic if you wanted.

Not to mention 20 people running around with the same avatar would be a pain in the ass.

But if someone can volunteer to run something like that I'd wholeheartedly endorse it.

Just a few suggestions from me.

Mods could issue a 20% Warn Level reduction for the first 100 Members that ask (Is that even possible)
A Free Name Change for the first 100 Members (Get's past the Waiting Limit)
Permission for 1 extra Image in their Sig until after Xmas?

Come to think of it i'm kind of stumped. There is a few features I have on my Forum but YCMaker would never look at them XD

[quote name='Kyubey' timestamp='1321839958' post='5656097']
I had suggested previously making little free Christmassy graphics that people can use for sigs and avatars and such.
[/quote]
For some reason, this brings tiny sprites of Christmas trees to mind.

But anyway, not much can really be done for an Advent Calender. But I did have one idea.
It similar to Pikaperson's, but each day a different raffle ticket is given.
24 days of raffel tickets.
Each day has a different prize on offer.
On the 25th (Or 26th, depending on the volunteers schedule and the various Christmas gimmicks), the raffles would be drawn, and announced in a thread somewhere. Maybe Announcements, I dunno.
And the winning members would claim their prize.
Though a suitible way to avoid one person winning two prizes would be a slight hassle, but not too hard to achieve.

In any case, whatever we decide on Advent, I'd be glad to help :D

But WHAT will be raffle winners get? 10 points? 1 rep? The choices are so low, when it comes to prizes. All I can think of is GFXs, member cards, card templates made for them and such.

I can't really provide any ideas, since some of them were already suggested, like a free name change.

[quote name='J-Max' timestamp='1321847503' post='5656407']
Just a few suggestions from me.

Mods could issue a 20% Warn Level reduction for the first 100 Members that ask (Is that even possible)
A Free Name Change for the first 100 Members (Get's past the Waiting Limit)
Permission for 1 extra Image in their Sig until after Xmas?

Come to think of it i'm kind of stumped. There is a few features I have on my Forum but YCMaker would never look at them XD
[/quote]
1: First one is possible, but if I recall correctly a lot of mods seemed against it for some reason. I dunno, maybe it was the magnitude though? I originally suggested -30, but they might agree with a -10 warn. I guess I'll bring this discussion back up again over Thanksgiving, since the current 'order of business' or w/e is to get a new General Mod.
2: I'd be fine with that. I think I even suggested it a while back.
3: There's a rule against a specific number of images? I thought it was just size. Like... I could have 100 :D size pictures (the emoticon) in my sig, and that wouldn't be okay? How silly. =|

[quote name='Lunar Eclipse' timestamp='1321868227' post='5656675']
For some reason, this brings tiny sprites of Christmas trees to mind.

But anyway, not much can really be done for an Advent Calender. But I did have one idea.
It similar to Pikaperson's, but each day a different raffle ticket is given.
24 days of raffel tickets.
Each day has a different prize on offer.
On the 25th (Or 26th, depending on the volunteers schedule and the various Christmas gimmicks), the raffles would be drawn, and announced in a thread somewhere. Maybe Announcements, I dunno.
And the winning members would claim their prize.
Though a suitible way to avoid one person winning two prizes would be a slight hassle, but not too hard to achieve.

In any case, whatever we decide on Advent, I'd be glad to help :D
[/quote]
Eh, I don't like the idea of giving 24 mid-sized gifts and 0 small gifts. Seems too... uhh... i-dont-know-the-word. Elitist? IDK. That can be done, in addition to smaller gifts for everyone else, but as one thing... idk.

[quote name='Welche' timestamp='1321911040' post='5657602']
I just want to search it for my name.
[/quote]
There are only four instances of your name. One is something about a stamp you got for Halloween like... 2 years ago, two of them is for you being a double account. One of them is about how silly you are for voting for yourself for general mod.

Merry Christmas.

On a completely unrelated, assuming (for example) we get points for every single day (this is a hypothetical situation) what amount of points would be an acceptable amount? 10? 25? 50? 100? I don't know much about the point currency or w/e, and I wouldn't want to overflood the w/e or something and make a lot of people have worthless shops now. =\

Archived