What Was The Point Of The Name-Changing Fiasco?

Premier Alexander Romanov

Question

I personally think Cifer and Dave the Barbarian should have some sort of punishment for what they did. It's inexcusable.
And before I get spammed saying "it was all good clean fun", it wasn't. It was disruptive to people who were trying to post more relevant statuses, such as a poor user who was trying to get some genuine help for a friend of his, and it proved that the super mods can do whatever they wish, without any consequences.
If a mod can change your name whenever they please, what is to stop them from banning you from YCM, simply because they don't like you?

To be completely honest, I can understand part of the argument here.
The status spam was bad. It was a side affect of the fun. Some people got too into the idea of having their names become part of a joke for a while. However, it was only for a short time (about an hour, maybe). It was annoying for some people during that time, but it really shouldn't be looked at as something horrible.

[quote name='Kyng' timestamp='1343701276' post='5993210']
*sighs* Breaking the rules for fun isn't something we should idolise for one second, and I've lost a fair chunk of respect in those who have.To question the point of this fiasco.The majority who do actually care about Mods breaking their own rules.One night is all it takes :/
[/quote]

Did you just invent a majority just so you could be right? That's not nice, you know that "the majority who care about mods breaking rules" isn't falsifiable. :(

Lighten up lads. It's usernames and status updates on a Yugioh forum. There are much more notable things to complain about.

[quote name='Brushfire' timestamp='1343701612' post='5993219']
Did you just invent a majority just so you could be right? That's not nice, you know that "the majority who care about mods breaking rules" isn't falsifiable. :(
Lighten up lads. It's usernames and status updates on a Yugioh forum. There are much more notable things to complain about.
[/quote]The majority refers to those whom see the fiasco as unnecessary in the first place.
The fiasco isn't the point, it's the rule breaking, which is a much more notable thing to complain about.

[quote name='Kyng' timestamp='1343701831' post='5993229']
The majority refers to those whom see the fiasco as unnecessary in the first place.
The fiasco isn't the point, it's the rule breaking, which is a much more notable thing to complain about.
[/quote]

Sorry, but it's completely impossible for you to prove that the majority of members of YCM had a problem with it. We'll accept the null here, but we all know that most of them didn't.

This is a notable thing to complain about? Not by my diagnosis, but hey ho.

[quote name='Brushfire' timestamp='1343701929' post='5993235']
Sorry, but it's completely impossible for you to prove that the majority of members of YCM had a problem with it. We'll accept the null here, but we all know that most of them didn't.
This is a notable thing to complain about? Not by my diagnosis, but hey ho.
[/quote]
You misinterpreted me, for which I apologize. The Majority does not refer to the Majority of the YCM members, but rather the YCM members who were not amused by the fiasco. I am sure I mentioned it in my above post.
"This" is vague. Rule Breaking isn't.

@LZ: You're forgiven.

[quote name='Kyng' timestamp='1343701831' post='5993229']
[/quote]
Just so you know, the very first rule in YCM's rules is "staff has final say"

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/213935-the-rules-of-ycm/

[quote name='Kyng' timestamp='1343702023' post='5993237']
You misinterpreted me, for which I apologize. The Majority does not refer to the Majority of the YCM members, but rather the YCM members who were not amused by the fiasco. I am sure I mentioned it in my above post.
"This" is vague. Rule Breaking isn't.
[/quote]

Ya, I noted that in my original post about you inventing a majority so that you could be right. Of course the majority of members that weren't amused by it, were not amused by it. That's just common sense. My post was referring to the majority of members on the site, so your reply was rather... err, not on topic.

No serious rules were broken. No harm was done. What exactly is your issue with this; or have you been conditioned so badly into believing that rule-breaking is wrong that you feel the need to clamp down on this particular scenario with an iron fist?

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1343702132' post='5993239']
I love a good dictatorship. =]
[/quote]

It's a strange one though, no? I'd say that internet forums are one of the few places where the majority of the population is more than happy with dictatorship.

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1343702094' post='5993238']
Just so you know, the very first rule in YCM's rules is "staff has final say"
http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/213935-the-rules-of-ycm/
[/quote]Does this include the rules which are, and are not followed?
Furthermore, do these rules apply to you, or are there a special band of stipulations Mods and/or above are applied to instead?

@Bushfire: As was your's, considering how your reply is only relevant in regard to mine, which refers to the group I elaborated upon. Furthermore, my issue is the principle of what rules can be bent and which can't.

@Dusk: Quoting the name chancing rule, "You are permitted to make 1 changes in a 90 day period." What's vague about that?

[quote name='Kyng' timestamp='1343702218' post='5993246']
Does this include the rules which are, and are not followed?
Furthermore, do these rules apply to you, or are there a special band of stipulations Mods and/or above are applied to instead?
[/quote]
The only real rules we follow are not to make major changes to the site without the consent of OH-LETS-SAY 4 or 5 other mods. That's why it takes a really long time ban people and why mods throw a fit when people get arbitrarily unbanned (because we got OH-LETS-SAY 4 or 5 people to agree on this and you just undo the decision of 4 or 5 people.

Most of the rules in sections we do have to follow. I've been warn increased for that Advance Clause in Created Card, and I've increased the warn of mods encouraging dumb behavior in TCG.

But like I said earlier, lolwarnincreases.

@Dusk: Quoting the name chancing rule, "You are permitted to make 1 changes in a 90 day period." What's vague about that?
[/quote]
Link to it? Not that I don't believe you, but I'd like to see it in writing.

Also I think that rule has been horribly outdated for a while. It used to be possible to change your name whenever the hell you felt like it, so it was decided to be 90 days after your last name change or you'd get a rough spanking. Now someone made it so it was 90 days, no matter what mods do so that rule kind of fell to the wayside. Not to mention that we had those old name change tokens or w/e for like a week or two when YCM made the store.

@B[b]r[/b]ushfire: As was your's, considering how your reply is only relevant in regard to mine, which refers to the group I elaborated upon. Furthermore, my issue is the principle of what rules can be bent and which can't.
[/quote]

I hate to drag this out, but you are aware that you were the one that replied to my comment and not vice-versa? You're not making an awful lot of sense. Or are all of my replies void the moment I replied to you?

All the rules can be bent. I've been perma-banned from this site on a number of occasions... it honestly doesn't matter, this is an internet forum.

[quote name='Doc.' timestamp='1343778656' post='5993887']
It isn't adding more fun.
It's actually irratating.
[/quote]
Somehow, when you say that, I can't help but feel this was the greatest of all things done in YCM history.

That may not be true, but it was most definitely fun.

Archived