RP&D: Roleplay and Development

Aix

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One idea I had a while ago was that the game world was secretly another dimension and the game server was in fact a magical artifact that allowed this connection.

I approve of this idea.

@Broken: But then when a less-experienced character meets a veteran, then there's absolutely no chance of victory whatsoever. Personally, I'd rather it be entirely reliant on the player's own physical abilities, unlocked skills, and equipment, personally.

As for race, maybe it can be completely customizable, as long as it's humanoid. So we can do Twi'leks, elves, vampires, and what-not, depending on the player's preferences. But obviously not a spider or something, since that would be really hard to control game-wise.

How about a MMORPG world where, depending on the race chosen, you can only combine with so many items to upgrade yourself. Plus, you'd be limited on the number of items you can have on you to combine at once. And as you level up, that limit will increase.

But that sparks the question: What kind of items in an RPG are only compatible for upgrading one race?

Yeah, I'd rather a limit as to how much you can achieve through blindly grinding, I think there should be a definite limit to your power level and when you hit the cap, it is more on refining your character build, which comes to the point of the racial upgrading, perhaps there is a limit to how much you can upgrade and you have to remove an upgrade to upgrade something else.

For example, slaying 100 dragons or something and acquiring their Heartstones or something should allow for you to gain draconic traits.

There was once this random manga I read set in a world where to acquire magical skills you had to accomplish a feat pertaining to the skill.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that as well. Like, in order to add another upgrade, you'd have to remove a similar upgrade already assigned to said character in order to add a new, more powerful upgrade you might find over time. In a sense, Assassin's Creed 2 Armor upgrades (Though when you upgrade a piece of armor, the old armor will be replaced automatically).

Hell, if we're going to have races separate and have certain things better than another race then why not go full role play D&D style? By that I mean with STRENGTH +5 and what not.

I've actually been working on an application for an upcoming role play I'm working on and this is what I've gotten so far. AGAIN, mind you, this is the incomplete version:

Character Name: John Doe

Alignment: Neutral Good

Player: Anonymous

Class: Townsfolk

Race: Human

Diety: Raashna

Size: S/(M)?L/XL

Height: 6'

Weight: 205 lbs.

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Red (Left), Brown (Right)

Languages: Human, Common

Note: A language system would add a special level of difficulty since not every character would be able to communicate with each other verbally unless they both knew a common language like "Human". After all, in real life a person speaking German cannot be understood by an American who can't speak German as well.

Money:

Gold: 0

Silver: 0

Bronze: 200

Bank- 10g/2s/500b

STRENGTH: 6

DEXTERITY: 5

CONSTITUTION: 6

INTELLIGENCE: 3

SPEED: 6

CHARISMA: 9

Note: strength, intelligence, and speed are obvious; dexterity is your reflexes and evasiveness: constitution would be how well you can carry/pick up someone or something; charisma is how persuasive you are.

There would be 35 points total to start off with, meaning you can either have all stats be 6 or customize them to how you want to play your character. Different races would have different pluses to their statistics, like a minotaur would have bonuses on his strength and constitution, but have minuses on intelligence.

Skills: 5 Total to begin with

Appraise

Craft Iron Pellet

Craft Rope

Craft Cart

Disable Device

Handle Animal

Ride

Sleight of Hand

Survival

Swim

Note: there are more than five skills listed, that is because each class would have certain skills they already come with. Like an elf class would have the skill "Climb" and "Linguistics" already checked off for them.

Weapon 1: Pitch Fork

Type: (S)/M/L

Range: (S)/M/L

Ammunition: N/A

Weapon 2: Hoe

Type: S/(M)/L

Range: (S)/M/L

Ammunition: N/A

Weapon 3: Flintlock Pistol

Type: (S)/M/L

Range: S/(M)/L

Ammunition: Iron Pellets; Holds (1) Total (10)

Gear:

Rope X1

Canteen X1

Flint X1

Lantern X1

Rations X10

Bedroll X1

Spells:

0: Heal (Minor)

1: Fire (Minor)

2: Grow (Minor)

3: N/A

4: N/A

5: N/A

6: N/A

7: N/A

8: N/A

9: N/A

Special Abilities:

N/A

For example, slaying 100 dragons or something and acquiring their Heartstones or something should allow for you to gain draconic traits.

Lol, haven't read this thread in quite awhile, and decided i'd check it out. 

Anyway, I can totally swallow the VRMMORPGRP idea, and, while reading through the thread, I thought the concept of slowly evolving your character (using skill points/items/magic powers) would create a really cool diversity among the characters, having them all be very (if not completely) different.

I also like the idea of it having the SAO risk. A.K.A. You die in-game, you die IRL.

I mean as in the MMORPG style stuff, like as in gear/weapons/stat/skills/money formatting, the technical stuff of it versus writing it out.

well when you think about it in most role play style games, even here, you are already having to put those things into the application. Most applications already require you to explain what yours weapons are and what your fighting style is; the later can easily be akin too what your skills are.

I'll admit money is a new thing and not very many role plays focus on actual monetary value of anything in the games, but it is something I think should add more depth. Also, gear again is something you're generally already asked to include in most applications, but I wanted it to be also more in depth because in the role play I am going for you actually need certain things and certain numbers of them in order to continue or even survive. By having a "Gear" portion you can't just make up that you had it or had enough.

The stats, like Sneasel said, would make almost every character unique.

How about a world that is affected by time. Think about it. Every city would represent a particular timeline (Such as the Crusades or the Renaissance). It's a concept to help characters apart of one particular lifestyle come to an understanding of how beneficial other "alien" lifestyles can have.

How's that sound?

Not sure what you mean, but I suppose isolated city-states would be cool.

And there's my idea I suggested to Phosphorous a while ago when we were looking at a forum-wide fantasy RP: Basically, in the wilderness out of the radius of these ancient Towers, monsters spawn and all sorts of supernatural things occur that makes travel very difficult and colonization absolutely impossible.

For the time idea: It wasn't until only recently that passable trade routes had been discovered that were less dangerous, allowing interaction between these long-isolated countries.

Hey guys I joined ages ago and am checking back now and see this MMORPG roleplay idea and I think it sounds great to be honest. For Worldbuilding you'd need to figure out how many races there are in total (playable and not), then make a kingdom for the major ones (Elf, Human etc) and then make just cities for the others or even a collection of towns. Creating a world isn't hard but you need the backbone of the major races, what kind of place they'd live in and the rest can form around it.

EDIT: I quickly mocked this up

zn6cBLM.png

It's not the best but the way I have set it is so that the bottom of the map is near the equator because there is darker meaning it is more temperate yet the top of the map is brighter so it would be colder like it's at a pole, and if there were 3 main races (Elf,Human,Orc???) or something they could have a kingdom in on each island, but then there are foreign races from south where they haven't explored yet.

Yeah its been a while since I've been through here...so I have a question for you people.

Can you refer me to any GFX artist around here who can do an RP Logo? I have a new one in the works (points to the spoiler in my sig).

Graphic Requests will help.

If not you could probably ask Tomented/Night really nicely and they might do it for free.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have an idea, and it's based around Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan). Since Season 2 has yet to be confirmed, I'll make an RP of what I think will happen...

Commander Erwin of the Survey Corps is about to be put on trial for treason against humanity within the third wall, Sina. When he begins to explain his case, he brings forth all the information from his experiences along with the remainder of the Survey Corps, except for Eren Jaeger, whom of which is in hiding in the former Survey Corps HQ, but is also helping to determine how to shatter the barrier in which the Female Titan, Annie Leonhart, has encased herself in and is in a deep slumber. Erwin also brings forth what happened in the battle for Trost, Commander Pixis backing up the entirety of the story.

Erwin explains that as of this point, humanity has taken another step to survival. They have learned that sentient Titans, controlled by humans of differing willpower, are out there, and possibly within the very walls that surround humanity. If they find the people who can become these sentient predators, there may be a chance for humanity to be saved and to multiply once more, by having them fight for humanity. Many people disagreed with this, as there was no way that all of the Titans controlled by humans will ever even attempt to join the Survey Corps. There's nothing determining whose side these people will choose. But Erwin is willing to take that risk, for the sake of humanity.

You are the sentient Titans, yet some of you are not aware of it at all. You are either a civilian, a new trainee, a graduate, or apart of one of the 3 factions: The Military Police, the Garrison, or the Survey Corps. Your goal is very clear: fight for or against humanity, but you can have many underlying reasons as well in your mission. However, you are sure to hide your plans until a moment comes where you can strike with full force. Who do you stand for? Are you willing to sacrifice your humanity to accomplish your goals? Are you willing to become a monster in order to fight for what you believe is right?

I also have a Shingeki no Kyojin idea (always wanted to make one, especially since there doesn't seem to be any SnK RPs around), but this one is more survival-based and -almost- none of you will be able to transform into TItans.

Here it is:

The plot is fairly simple. About a year after the Colossal Titan attacked, while the Recon Corps are on another expedition, several members suddenly vanished into thin air while separated from everyone else, not responding to any sent signals. The disappeared members were then left for dead.

However, unbeknownst to them, these members have awakened inside what appears to be a huge forest, possibly far from the safehaven of the Walls. Of course, Titans are crawling about everywhere, and it's up to them to survive. To make things worse, there may actually be a Titan shapeshifter amongst them...but whoever it is and whether s/he's working for good or for evil, there's no telling. If there's any comfort, one of the members holds what appears to be an ancient map from the time before Titans, which may allow them to find home should any of them manage to get out of the forest, together.

In such a situation, resources are scarce, and overuse of your 3D Manuever Gear is dangerous (once it runs out, you can't refill, so travelling on foot is recommended - after all, you'll need enough to climb the walls somehow) as is damage to your swords. You can't trust anyone and the circumstances of how you got there remains unknown. As you might have guessed, it's a survival-adventure RP.

Does anyone like~?

'

I probably won't be handle it very well until after the Grand Crossover RP is over though, so I may need a co-host.

I wanted to preserve the mystery and atmosphere of terror that Attack on Titan has, meaning nothing is as it seems, anyone might be eaten by a Titan in an instant, and it would take a leap of faith to trust another person.

Well, I have an idea, and it's based around Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan). Since Season 2 has yet to be confirmed, I'll make an RP of what I think will happen...

Commander Erwin of the Survey Corps is about to be put on trial for treason against humanity within the third wall, Sina. When he begins to explain his case, he brings forth all the information from his experiences along with the remainder of the Survey Corps, except for Eren Jaeger, whom of which is in hiding in the former Survey Corps HQ, but is also helping to determine how to shatter the barrier in which the Female Titan, Annie Leonhart, has encased herself in and is in a deep slumber. Erwin also brings forth what happened in the battle for Trost, Commander Pixis backing up the entirety of the story.

Erwin explains that as of this point, humanity has taken another step to survival. They have learned that sentient Titans, controlled by humans of differing willpower, are out there, and possibly within the very walls that surround humanity. If they find the people who can become these sentient predators, there may be a chance for humanity to be saved and to multiply once more, by having them fight for humanity. Many people disagreed with this, as there was no way that all of the Titans controlled by humans will ever even attempt to join the Survey Corps. There's nothing determining whose side these people will choose. But Erwin is willing to take that risk, for the sake of humanity.

You are the sentient Titans, yet some of you are not aware of it at all. You are either a civilian, a new trainee, a graduate, or apart of one of the 3 factions: The Military Police, the Garrison, or the Survey Corps. Your goal is very clear: fight for or against humanity, but you can have many underlying reasons as well in your mission. However, you are sure to hide your plans until a moment comes where you can strike with full force. Who do you stand for? Are you willing to sacrifice your humanity to accomplish your goals? Are you willing to become a monster in order to fight for what you believe is right?

If you fight for humanity, how would you explain how you obtained those powers? Even if you are against humanity, you wouldn't be able to fully explain because we don't know the reason that there are people against humanity.

I think someone should bump this before it becomes a necro to bump it. so, on my rp idea, do you think that the race of elves would use Quenya/Sindarin or something like that? seems natural to me but wanted to know what other people thought.

Could you link back to it?

If you fight for humanity, how would you explain how you obtained those powers? Even if you are against humanity, you wouldn't be able to fully explain because we don't know the reason that there are people against humanity.

That's the secret. Nobody can explain these powers. Eren couldn't explain it until the memory that did to some extent was revealed to him as bright as day. It's the one thing everyone in that universe would want an answer to, but might not get it. It's a mystery that one is willing to die for in order to uncover.

And let's think about this for a moment: We have yet to see what Eren Jaeger's untouched basement holds for the secrets of the Titans. It's possible that the secrets are more about how one can become a sentient Titan rather than how the Titans came to be. That mystery of the Titans' origins will still be unknown. There are many things I'm keeping hush-hush about this as to not spoil the surprise. And besides, the end of season 1 was leaning towards the possibility of more humans that can become Titans, so I built off of that and it began to be more than that over time.

Does that answer your question, if at all?

Archived