People Who Annoy You About Music

Susie

I get a bit annoyed when I am constantly badgered with metal bands I don't like (Slipknot, Lamb of God, ect.) just because I am a metalhead they automatically assume that I like these bands and when I say I don't I get a dirty look. >_>"

This, but change metal with hardcore and people who automatically thinks I can't enjoy any other form of music just because I listen to hardcore.

I get a bit annoyed when I am constantly badgered with metal bands I don't like (Slipknot, Lamb of God, ect.) just because I am a metalhead they automatically assume that I like these bands and when I say I don't I get a dirty look. >_>"

I know that, whenever I say that I don't like Metallica people will give me a dirty look, their music never really appealed to me at all and some people just don't get that.

I have a certain cousin that constantly does things that cream "Look at my metal-head-ness!". From posting lots of metal stereotypes on her facebook, to trying to dress with awkward sexy "OMGmetal" clothes. Then when it comes to mentioning bands, she for the most part mentions some very soft Mexican rock bands from the 80's and 90's, that are not bad bands, but are not metal, when she is trying to talk about metal...

It's fine with people dressing the way they like. I'm fine with people liking different types of music. I'm also fine with people not knowing much about something as long as they show interest or not claim to be hardcore lovers of it.

Just people that label themselves as hardcore followers of a specific group they don't actually know much about as a shashionable fad. Not limited to the metal genre of course, although it's probably a common one to point at.

Other than that, I don't find many things annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know who annoys me about music? All the people in this thread who seem to think that being a lover of Jazz and Classical makes you, I quote "holier than thou."

As a musician of eight years, I know how music works, and it is fascinating. I can tell you that high-quality metal has much in common with classical music, for example, due to its emphasis on excellent technique and blazing speed. Or, more accurately, with baroque, due to its simple, diatonic harmonies (this is not a bad thing, in fact, the best music often 'works' because of simple, diatonic harmonies) and intricate ornamentation. I am not a fan of metal music, but I understand it and therefore respect it. I can tell you that Chopin, and most romantic music (by romantic, I mean the style of classic music [there is a difference between 'classic' which is music from before 1900 and 'classical' which was an era in the 18th century home to composers like Mozart and Beethoven] that occurred from the 1820s to the 1910s) shares a lot of harmony with jazz in particular. Pop music takes most of its harmony from the baroque tradition, with simple diatonic chord sequences, although pop is such a general term that it encompasses anything from epic progressive music to bubblegum pop and dubstep. Jazz (and I say this as a composer, lover and player of jazz) is essentially all the same - it follows the same basic, diatonic chord sequences of pop music but with secondary dominant harmony (also known as a 2-5-1 sequence) and a use of dissonance and chromaticism that one would find similar to romanticism or modernism.

In conclusion, just listen to what you like. And don't get to the level where you end up analyzing stuff like I do, it makes things fun, then boring.

On a side note, I've read somewhere that some Russian Metal bands take certain Classical music ideas and incorporate it into their music, because Classical music has had such an impact on their culture. I can't vouch for the validity of it, but if it is so, then kudos to them.

I have a certain cousin that constantly does things that cream "Look at my metal-head-ness!". From posting lots of metal stereotypes on her facebook, to trying to dress with awkward sexy "OMGmetal" clothes. Then when it comes to mentioning bands, she for the most part mentions some very soft Mexican rock bands from the 80's and 90's, that are not bad bands, but are not metal, when she is trying to talk about metal...

It's fine with people dressing the way they like. I'm fine with people liking different types of music. I'm also fine with people not knowing much about something as long as they show interest or not claim to be hardcore lovers of it.

Just people that label themselves as hardcore followers of a specific group they don't actually know much about as a shashionable fad. Not limited to the metal genre of course, although it's probably a common one to point at.

Other than that, I don't find many things annoying.

I have a video about this subject, but I'm not sure if it can be directly applied to it. Nonetheless, it's great video about metalheads, and those who try to be a metalhead.

[spoiler=Video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VejlqlgRXS0

[/spoiler]

People who dislike and hate on any kind of music annoys the crap out of me. Music is something that someone has spent their time and soul on regardless of genre, and all music deserves respect. I'm pointing fingers at you, "RAP AND POP SUXXX IMA LISTEN TO SUM SABATON NAO"-metalhead.

Do you know who annoys me about music? All the people in this thread who seem to think that being a lover of Jazz and Classical makes you, I quote "holier than thou."

As a musician of eight years, I know how music works, and it is fascinating. I can tell you that high-quality metal has much in common with classical music, for example, due to its emphasis on excellent technique and blazing speed. Or, more accurately, with baroque, due to its simple, diatonic harmonies (this is not a bad thing, in fact, the best music often 'works' because of simple, diatonic harmonies) and intricate ornamentation. I am not a fan of metal music, but I understand it and therefore respect it. I can tell you that Chopin, and most romantic music (by romantic, I mean the style of classic music [there is a difference between 'classic' which is music from before 1900 and 'classical' which was an era in the 18th century home to composers like Mozart and Beethoven] that occurred from the 1820s to the 1910s) shares a lot of harmony with jazz in particular. Pop music takes most of its harmony from the baroque tradition, with simple diatonic chord sequences, although pop is such a general term that it encompasses anything from epic progressive music to bubblegum pop and dubstep. Jazz (and I say this as a composer, lover and player of jazz) is essentially all the same - it follows the same basic, diatonic chord sequences of pop music but with secondary dominant harmony (also known as a 2-5-1 sequence) and a use of dissonance and chromaticism that one would find similar to romanticism or modernism.

In conclusion, just listen to what you like. And don't get to the level where you end up analyzing stuff like I do, it makes things fun, then boring.

No one ever said on this site that "loving any kind of music" per se makes you "holier than thou". (You seem to be quoting wrong too btw.)

I thought my post was pretty straight-forward, but my main issue is that so-called elitists who think their taste is the only legit one while everything else is lowly crap exist everywhere. There are people who just listen to Pop/Metal/Classic/Korean music/etc. and then there are those who listen to Pop/Metal/Classic/Korean music/etc. and look down on everyone else. I usually stay away from the latter, but there are certain patterns I have seen when I was lucky to bump into the less friendly people. Beyond the obnoxious Metal fans, I mostly hear a lot of "Metal is the only legit music, kill Bieber!" and such; the more elitist ones beyond pre-20th-century music fans tend to give you the "I'm better and more sophisticated than you" treatment and if you run into a pretentious K-Pop fan, you can bet everything there will be a mention of how dirty America is and how they're listening to good, clean Pop as opposed to those lowlies. It's the attitude overall that stinks and that can really hit anyone, but isn't tied to any genre (which would actually mean that I'm annoying myself with music since I deliberately mentioned genres I've been listening to more).

K-Pop has a surprising number of people with the "superior" attitude, which is quite funny since the genre is directly based on the Western Pop music they seem to shit on. I've never made a large difference between those, except that the Korean version has more 90s influences and more synchronized dancing.

People who dislike and hate on any kind of music annoys the crap out of me. Music is something that someone has spent their time and soul on regardless of genre, and all music deserves respect. I'm pointing fingers at you, "RAP AND POP SUXXX IMA LISTEN TO SUM SABATON NAO"-metalhead.

I don't think there's an issue with expressing even strong disliking (can't always please everyone), but I agree. Music is music and someone worked on it.

It can seem ridiculous to you, but someone out there put his/her time into it and other people might enjoy it.

As stated numerous times before, people deeply rooted in one genre and trying to impose that genre onto others are typically very annoying.

But probably the most annoying music-related thing that irks me is people who blast rap and other obscene "music" in their cars. They blast it so loud I can hear them blocks away. If you're one of those people, I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry. It's annoying as hell.

Archived