Quillan watched as Nailah's face went from worry to amusement. The sight brought a smile to his own face. For a moment, the pressure of leading the team was taken off his shoulders. For a moment, he was with his friends and they were just having fun. That's when Leon brought it all crashing back. "We still have a job to do. Each second we spend idle is a second given to Ragnarok." Quillan gave the Egyptian Vanguard a sour look. He was of course right, they really didn't have time to be talking and celebrating, but it didn't make him any less of a killjoy.

"Yeah, yeah, you're right." Quillan fell silent for a moment. His mind readjusting to the task at hand. The appearance of the Boar was either an unfortunate coincidence or a sign that the Spearheads were close. Its disappearance in golden light did more to sway him towards the latter option. "That light definitely meant something,"  Quillan said. "We can't let up now." Despite his words, Quillan was still lost as to where to go. The jungle was a big and confusing place. It wasn't as if there was a trail leading them to where they needed to go.

Or...maybe there was. Doing a full 360, Quillan surveyed the area. His eyes fell upon a path of trampled trees and giant hoof prints. "I say we go that way." Quillan pointed the way that the boar had coming charging at the Spearheads. It only made sense that the monster would have come from where they needed to go. Of course, that wasn't entirely true, but it was the best lead they had so far. 

Taking off through the path of destruction, Quillan took the lead. It wasn't long before Beth was at his side. Since the boar had been kind enough stomped away any annoying vegetation, there was more than enough room for the two to walk side by side. "I think I owe a thanks." She said, referring to their battle from earlier. Quillan turned to look at his fellow Vanguard. "Don't mention in it. Of course if you really want to thank me," Quillan gave her knowing look "we could talk about it when we get back to Olymp-" Quillan's seductive comment was cut short as he was tackled to the ground. The wind rushed out of his lungs leaving him gasping helplessly for air.

Before he could even get stock of the situation, whatever had attacked him had disappeared. He looked to his fellow teammates who had already readied their weapons. The attack had been so fast, so unpredictable, there was no way that any of them could have expected it and thus, no one had caught side of the attacker. As Quillan took back to his feet, three arrows whistled through the air and planted themselves inches from Beth's feet. The Grecian Vanguard did not cry out in surprise or stumble backwards in shock. Her gaze glanced at the arrows and the whipped around into the surrounding tree line. "There!" She shouted, pointing to the Vanguard's right.

There was a rustle of leaves from in the trees, followed by a hulking form landing in front of them Vanguards. As it straightened itself, Quillan saw that it was a dark skinned man. His long hair was pulled back into a pony tail and a massive bow sat clenched in his hands. He wore nothing except for a loin cloth and an angry expression. His dark eyes stared at the group. "I Man. You enemies. Why come here?" His voice was deep and powerful, although obviously uneducated.

He is a Vanguard. Quillan's eyes flew to the sky above. Vex circled the group, appearing to be nothing more than a cloud in the sky. How do you know? I'm around you smelly things all day, I think I know one when I smell one. "Guys, he's a Vanguard." Quillan whispered behind him. He was unsure of how to proceed. The half-naked man just stood calmly before them, glaring at them with a look that could match Medusa's. It was apparent though that he wasn't happy to have them around. "You no get to Pan. Man will stop you." The well muscled man leapt into action, springing towards Quillan faster than he could see. He caught sight of the outstretched arm and the curled up fist, but at that point it was too late. Quillan closed his eyes, knowing that it was going to hurt.

The hit never came though, instead of a howl of pain followed by a dull thud. Quillan opened his eyes to see Beth standing by his side, her whip in her hand, blood on the end of it. It appeared as if she had caught the man's arm and saved Quillan. "Thanks." Quillan muttered. "Don't thank me yet, look." She pointed to where the man had been thrown. He was gone. The game was on. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Through everyone's combned might the bore was defeated...Well for now it seems. The body of the defeated bore vanished leaving the vanguards in the destroyed clearing. Quillian asked if everyone was alright, then sang praise of a good job except for Nailah. Said vanguard blinked in confusion, before her face turned into worry. Had she done something wrong? She tried to think but nothing came to mind.  "I'm supposed to be the punny one here." It took a second but her worry melted into amusement and she laughed. Of course, Leon was the one who dropped the reality bomb and Nailah sighed with a bit of a pout. Though she knew he was right, it still didn't change the fact that the fun was killed. Though he did managed to get in a little pun joke in there, and he was still shirtless. So she could forgive him. 
This time it was Quillian to chose their next path, and Nailah was inclined to agree. Follow the path were the bore emerged from. They didn't exactly have a concrete plan as it was, and this was as good a start as any. 

"Now that our brush-" Nailah picked up a piece of foliage at "brush". Though since she hadn't replaced her mask a hair brush also appeared out of no where which she pocketed. "-with death is over, I wonder what will come our way next." She chuckled at her own pun. Word play was a nice way to pass the time. Nailah even managed to get Thoth in on a bit of the fun. Looking a head she noticed -not that it was difficult seeing as they were right in front ofher- Beth and Quillian conversing. "I wonder what their current conversation is about." She elbowed Genzai lightly, "Did you sea what I did there?" She laughed again, having a wonderful time. 

It was then a half naked man appeared out of no where. "I Man. You enemies. Why you come here?" Well talk about your average day Tarzan. Wonder where Jane is. Moments later Quillian whispered that he was a Vanguard like them. How he knew that, she didn't know but at least he wasn't just some crazy guy running around the Amazon. If anything maybe it meant they were on the right track. "You no get to Pan. Man will stop you." The muscular man leaped into action, heading straight for Quillian. Man was quick enough to take Quillian, and even herself, off guard as she too couldn't move quick enough to try and help. Luckily, Beth had no such problem, managing to save Quillian just in time. Though, Man and vanished into the brush of trees and plant life.

Before they started the search Nailah asked, "So we're looking for Pan right." She smiled trying to hold back her laughter, "So shouldn't we bring some jam with us?" 

The random encounter with the wild man, apparently Pan's Vanguard from Vex's words, was indeed a sign that they were on the right trail indeed. "An interesting turn of events, I'll say that much." Genzai said, as he walked towards Quillan. "However, I think with him running off, it might have a good chance for us to follow. Correct me if I'm wrong, Quillan, but Vex mentioned that he knows what a Vanguard smells like." he said, seeing Quillan simply nod his head. "Good. Meaning, Vex can lead us in the direction that Pan's Vanguard headed. I'm betting to believe that 'Man' is heading to Pan right this moment."

Sure, this plan seemed less and less like one of the easier ones...but still, it was a plan nonetheless. Genzai just looked at the direction that Man had leapt off to, seeing the broken tree limbs and scattered leaves on the ground.

"However, I think with him running off, it might have a good chance for us to follow. Correct me if I'm wrong, Quillan, but Vex mentioned that he knows what a Vanguard smells like." he said, seeing Quillan simply nod his head. "Good. Meaning, Vex can lead us in the direction that Pan's Vanguard headed. I'm betting to believe that 'Man' is heading to Pan right this moment." Quillan nodded at Genzai's comment. That would make sense. Like a blood hound. "Can you do that?" Quillan called aloud to Vex, who continued to circle overhead. In response she shot a bolt of lightning down at Quillan's feet, making him lurch backwards, falling on his butt. "She says yes." 

At Quillan's words, the storm cloud that was Vex raced off into the jungle. Knowing that they couldn't waste any time, Quillan followed in pursuit, jumping into the trees and plant life. This time he couldn't waste time with cutting through the foliage. Vex was moving fast and it was hard to spot her through the leafy trees above. Branches whipped at Quillan's face and vines grabbed at his ankles. A few times he thought he could feel bugs landing on his back as he crashed through the ocean of green, but there was no time to investigate.

As they got farther into the jungle, Quillan began to notice more signs of the shirtless man's escape. Footprints. Snapped branches. They were getting close. It wasn't just the clues, but Quillan could actually see and feel it. The plant life was getting more and more plentiful, if that was even possible, and all around him he could see shadows of animals running through the jungle. The air hummed with wild power. Quillan could feel it awakening something primal in him. The God of the Wild had to be close. 

Just as Quillan was thinking that, he felt a tremor run through the forest. Almost like an earthquake. It was followed by a tune of some sort. Music? It didn't make sense. Quillan stopped his fast trek. He looked to the sky and saw that Vex had disappeared. This was getting strange. The sound of the music grew louder until it completely filled Quillan's ears. Turning to Genzai, who was the group's musical expert, Quillan opened his mouth ask about the mysterious noise, but before he could do so, something grabbed his ankle, hoisting him high into the air. He flailed about, desperately trying to shake whatever had gotten him, and to see who or what his attacker was. 

Finally catching sight of it, he was shocked to find that it was not the man from before, but a vine. Panicked he looked to the rest of the team to find that they too had been similarly snared. More vines emerged, trapping the Spearheads even more. The music that had swelled about them stopped. "Well this is a [acronym='fine']vine [/acronym]situation we have gotten ourselves into." Despite the dire situation, he couldn't help but make the pun as he winked at Nailah. 

A sound of creaking filled the air. Quillan looked about to figure out was making such a noise and noticed that the trees seemed to be moving away from the trapped group. As the trees and plants moved away, Quillan caught sight of 5 figures. Slowly, the heavily forested area turned into a clearing. Standing in front of the trapped Vanguards was the shirtless man from before. His bow lay slung over his back and he met the gaze of the Spearheads with a stony one of his own. At his sides were four massive animals, two on each side.

On the left stood giant grizzly bear. Its yellow eyes reminded Quillan of the Calydonian Boar, filled with anger, but there was something else there, behind the rage. Quillan thought he could have spotted something along the lines of compassion. Beside the bear was a hulking wolf. Its white pelt seemed out of place amongst all the green. Its face had a composition that looked as if it was smiling. Not a smile of joy, but of cruel amusement. On the man's right was a large anaconda. The snake was coiled up, its head held high as it surveyed the tasty humans in front of it. A hissing sound escaped its lips. Next to the snake was valiant looking eagle. It sat preening its feathers, not paying the group any attention.

"What is this?" Quillan asked. He struggled at the bonds that held him. The vines had shifted so that the Spearheads were arranged in a line, bound at the wrists and ankles. Despite his fighting, the vines didn't budge in the slightest. He tried to call upon his powers, but nothing happened. "Godling powers not work." Man had spoke, looking directly at Quillan as if he knew what he was thinking.

"You seek Pan, yes?" There was a general murmur of affirmation from the bound Vanguards. "Then you prove selves. Fight." He moved over to the bear. "Strongest." Moving away from the bear he made his way to the wolf. "Smartest." Standing by the snake he spoke again. "Cruelest." Inevitably moving to the eagle. "Calmest." Finally pointing to himself. "Bravest."

"Choose. Then, fight."

[spoiler=OOC]

Please check the OOC thread before posting, I have posted some instructions there to clear up any complications and/or questions

[/spoiler]

"You seek Pan, yes?"

"Then you prove selves. Fight." "Strongest." "Smartest." "Cruelest." "Calmest." "Bravest."

"Choose. Then, fight."

Genzai remained in his bound state as he listened to the native warrior speak. What does he mean by that? Could it be...? he thought, before looking at the four animals and then Man. Then it clicked in his mind. Five of us...Five of them...he's put in the way the traits of this team. Leon, Nailah, Beth...alright. the Shinto Vanguard thought, giving a slight look to Man and then at the eagle. "Genzai Hatsune...the Shinto Vanguard of Ryujin. The Calmest, you seek." Genzai said, as he noticed the eagle giving some what of a slight smirk as he stared right at him.

As soon as he said these words, the Shinto Vanguard simply watched as the jungle shifted. Before he knew it, his bonds were released, giving his power back, but his allies were also missing. So that was his plan... he thought, as he watched the eagle circle overhead, then watched it swoop to the ground.

Assassin's Creed III ~ Lindsey Stirling

As it swooped, the eagle began to change before Genzai's eyes. It became human...and from what Genzai could tell, it seemed to be Aztec in origin. However, instead of the normal spears he remembered them use, it used two hand blades that resembled talons. "So you are the Calmest in your group, eh? Graznido! I am your opponent, Quauhtli. And you must beat me if you want to find Lord Pan, Graznido!!"

Genzai sighed as he unsheathed his katana and then smirked at the Aztec warrior. "Then let us begin, Quauhtli...for this mission we cannot afford to lose." he said simply, as the both rushed towards each other, clashing their respective blades against the opposite's.

*Graznido = Spanish for Squawk

**Quauhtli = Aztec name meaning Eagle

In a matter of moments Leon found himself isolated with the Bear, the so-called Strongest aspect Man had to offer. The Bear soon took a Human's Form to match the competitor in battle, a tremendous and tall figure, bound with muscle and flesh, with arms like trunks capable of tearing a Man's arms right off. He gave Leon a grin of clear zealous confidence, cracking his knuckles. Like his Vanguard, this Aspect could not speak in adept tongue. Rather, he shared his master's manner of speech: "Weakling! You no match for me!"

Leon smirked with a cocky brow. "I have to say you do look pretty intimidating. Shame fear and I don't get along all to well." This triggered the Aspect to roar out and charge at Leon, whom had de-spawned his spear in order to assess his prey. A gentle pose, Leon began to shift from the charge of the Aspect, dodging with a leap as his foe failed to grab and nail him with a tight and powerful bear hug. The Aspect frowned and snarled, leering at Leon whom had began to back-peddle from his foe, keeping a distance from the bear.

This was rendered moot when Leon gulped, watching the bear throw a large boulder that smacked and floored Leon straight into the ground. With a profound "Oof!" Leon soon felt the boot of the large man begin to crush his spine with a hearty laughter. "Ha ha ha! You weak, no real man!" Leon, squinting in pain from the pressure he pressed against him, clenched his fingers tight. A ray of light forming in his hands, Leon forced himself from the foot of the Aspect and threw an under-arm Solar Spear straight for the chest of his foe. Even though it had the Aspect back off, Leon had to stretch out his back a little. He had been all but crushed beneath the fella's foot!

That wasn't all, though. When Leon had gotten to his feet, the Aspect rushed him, a powerful shoulder-block crashing the Vanguard into tree bark, hard and powerful. It was like he had been bulldozed by a wrecking ball made of flesh and muscle. Managing to get back up to his feet, however, Leon growled and turned to face his foe valiantly.

This was to no avail, however - a vicious hook from the Aspect had sent Leon crashing down, a tooth flying out with a speck of blood from the sheer power yielded within that single punch. A pretty bad trauma came to his head realizing just what had happened, making Leon think he couldn't handle this alone, that he needed his comrades. Right then, right there, it struck him hard in the face - he wasn't alone, nor was any Vanguard!

Spitting out some bad taste in his mouth Leon smirked. "A real man isn't determined by his strength, Neanderthal." He taunted, causing bear to anger. With a charismatic clench of his fist, Leon continued "Rather, what makes a man is knowing his limits, and to be able to swallow his pride and get help when he needs it."

The Aspect looked at Leon with confusion. "What your point?!"

Promptly, a flash of light boomed behind Leon, summoning forth one of his prestigious and powerful Units - Martyaxwar the Manticore. The light soon left behind the large, powerful physique of the unit, from his majestic mane to his powerful wings. The Aspect frowned with worry at this sight, Leon had easily outsmarted Man's little plan. While the strategy to divide and conquer would normally work in these situations, many Vanguard carried with them their valuable units, the mythological creatures that would bolster their sway in a fight. "My point is that I know I need to call for my friend here, Martyaxwar. You'd easily overpower me on my own, your just built better. My Manticore, however, is just on par with you in those terms."

Martyaxwar let out a prominent roar as he darted for the Aspect. The Bear, in turn, grappled with the Manticore, as the two began a power-struggle, each other's clawed hands locked and struggling for supremacy. Both were giving it their all, the ground beneath them clenched in their feet. Of course, Martyaxwar had another muscle that the Aspect didn't - and with a very fast, swift jab into the Aspect's gut, the Manticore promptly poisoned his foes innards, growling with a fierce grin. He could already see the Bear wincing, knowing it began to take effect. With this the Manticore gave the grizzly a Head-butt, which followed by a well-timed Sun Spear straight to the eyes thanks to Leon.

"Ahh! Can't see! Gah!" 

Leon's plan was pitch-perfect. A very well placed Sun Spear had easily blinded the Aspect, his piercing yellow eyes shut thanks to the pain of Martyaxwar's poison - speaking of which, said Unit had swiftly grappled the Bear by his gut and taken flight, throwing him skyward, exerting a great deal of strength, of course to give Leon the target he needed.

Leon smirked, summoning his Assegai. "Never mess with a War Vanguard." he taunted as he shuttled the spear straight for his foe. A great grunt, the Aspect had been skewered in his already poisoned gut, having now been pinned against a tree's bark due to the force Leon had thrown the spear. Of course, Leon valued a battle, and promptly de-spawned his spear again, letting the aspect fall to the ground, mortally wounded and defeated.

Giving Martyaxwar a well deserved high-five, Leon chuckled. "Looks like Tarzan didn't take into account our units." The pair stood patient for the arena to unravel itself, so that they could meet the God Pan, and bring him home, hopefully.

Bleach OST ~ Stand Up Be Strong

Genzai and Quauhtli's blades kept clashing together, neither one of the giving up an inch on this fight. To Genzai, it was a bit strange seeing this warrior fight the way he did, it was almost as if was anticipating every move and was countering it. Alright then...two can play this game. Ryujin Kenbu 5th form! he thought, as his breath began to match that of Quauhtli's. Now the Shinto Vanguard began to evade the strikes and quickly counter them with ease.

"Graznido! Your beginning to dodge my attacks now?" Quauhtli said calmly, as he kept the attack on Genzai, only to see him dodge more.

"This is Ryujin Kenbu's 5th form: Ame no Doki Suru (Synchronize of Rain)." Genzai simply said, as he dodged the eagle warrior's strike once more, and then kicked him away, as he jumped back himself.

Quauhtli got back up from the kick, as he calmly smirked. "This is the most fun fight I've been in before, Graznido! However, I'm afraid you will fall beneath my skills and my last strike, Graznido!!" he said, as before Genzai's eyes, the aura in the shape of an a feathery winged serpent. "Great Quetzalcoatl...I ask for your strength!" The serpent aura spiraled around Quauhtli until there was an audible roar, and two feathery wings appeared on the warrior. "Graznido!! Now you will feel the wrath of Lord Pan... of Quetzalcoatl... and of me!! Águila Bomba de Buceo (Eagle Dive Bomb)!!"

Fairy Tail OST ~ Lightning Flame Dragon Roaring

Genzai watched this happen, as Quauhtli ascended into the air. "Quetzalcoatl...the dragon of the Aztecs. Quauhtli, this fight will be over with just as you say. However, the outcome will change dramatically." he said, as a blue aura came from his katana. "Ryujin Kenbu 4th form: Ame no Tsubasa!" From the blade, the aura appeared on Genzai's back, now sprouting two dragon-like wings, as he soared into the air after Quauhtli.

"Hoho! You've managed to meet the sky as well, Graznido!" Quauhtli chuckled a bit, as he watched Genzai fly towards him.

"Ryujin Kenbu 7th form: Ame no Tanto!" Genzai said, as he then began to slash in front of him, as the water bullet formed around him. The speed of it increased even more as it was combined with Ame no Tsubasa, as he headed straight for Quauhtli.

Both warriors finally collided, as a bright was seen from where they were. Upon the light vanishing, Quauhtli and Genzai were now back on the ground, their wings slowly dispersing. A moment passed, until multiple cuts and slashes appeared on the Aztec's body, as he slowly fell to the ground. Genzai slowly stood up and quickly sheathed his katana, walking towards Quauhtli.

"G-Graznido..." Quauhtli groaned, as he shifted his eyes up to the Shinto Vanguard. "You have bested...me...Calm Warrior..."

Genzai nodded and saw Quauhtli disappear from this arena. An Aztec warrior, that became an eagle...perhaps he was the only one of his kind left. he thought as he sat on the ground, his legs crossed, as he entered a slight meditating state. Regardless, Quauhtli was an impressive warrior. Perhaps I can talk with Pan-sama later, to have him become the Vanguard to Quetzalcoatl...

"You seek Pan, yes?"

"Then you prove selves. Fight." "Strongest." "Smartest." "Cruelest." "Calmest." "Bravest."

"Choose. Then, fight."

Beth watched as Genzai and Leon disappeared after declaring who they would face. She looked at the remaining competitors. The cruel serpent. The cunning wolf. The brave man. Nailah was most definitely the smartest of the Vanguards, none could doubt that. She was the very epitome of a bookworm. That took the wolf out of the running. Courage or Cruelty. As much as Beth would have liked to say that she was the bravest, she knew that not to be true. She was indeed the cruelest.

Locking eyes with massive serpent, Beth spoke. "I am the cruelest." As soon as she said those words the jungle around her began to shift. Vines and branches writhed about, passing before her face and body, but yet not touching her. Then the shift was over and Beth found herself in a circular clearing completely surrounded by thick trees. The vines that had ensnared her were gone and she could once again feel the writhing forms of Sykes and Vecks beneath her hoodie. 

Opposite her, Beth watched the coiled serpent as it unwound itself. Rearing back its head, the snake rose to full height. Beth watched as the reptile's skin began to boil and warp. After the repulsive transformation, Beth found herself facing a wretched looking woman"Ssssssso you claim to be the cruelessssst, but are you assss cruel assssss mother nature hersssself?" The snake woman lashed outward. 

Her lower body did not move, just her upper. It seemed to extend far past its physical parameters, reaching to ensnare Beth. Leaping into the air, Beth used the snake woman's rearing head as a springboard and landed a great deal away from the monstrous woman. Uncurling her glass-ended whip, she faced off against the hissing cretin. The two locked eyes, sizing each other up. 

"Punishing Wind!" Beth cried twirling her whip. The vicious weapon snaked towards her opponent, leaving an array of cuts and gashes across her scaly skin. Despite the obvious damage, the woman did not cry out in pain. She began to hiss, but not in irritation, in amusement. Beth watched in horror as the damage skin began to fall away leaving a brand new coat of fresh green scales. "Man overestimated you. You are no match for the likes of mother nature." The snake woman pounced.

Grabbing Beth by the wrists, she pinned her to the jungle floor. Beth could feel the women's lower body begin to coil around her own. The pressure was on. "Let'ssssss ssssssee how you like my venom. I made it mysssssself." A foul green liquid began to drip from the woman's fangs. The snake demoness lowered her head closer and closer to Beth's neck, savoring the look of fear that was so evident on the young Vanguard's face. The woman opened her mouth wide, ready to bite. 

Before she could however a blur of purple and green rushed out of Beth's hoodie, attaching themselves firmly around the woman's mouth. Recoiling in surprise, the snake woman backed off of Beth, letting her go from her scaly grasp. Retrieving her whip from where it had fallen, Beth watched the woman struggle helplessly against Sykes and Vecks would forcefully had closed the woman's venomous mouth. 

As the woman flailed about, desperately trying to free her fangs, Beth lashed out with her whip, executing one of her more powerful moves. The glass-ended whip ensnared the woman's leg and with a mighty heave, Beth pulled her in. As the snake woman helplessly flew through the air, Beth readied her fist. Moving in time with the woman's flight, she landed a powerful blow to the woman's chest. At the same moment, Sykes and Vecks uncurled themselves from the woman's mouth and intertwined themselves in the air, crafting a purple and green whip.

"I suggest that next time, you don't underestimate your prey. They could very well become the predator." Beth lashed out with both whips. "Punishing Winds!" A hiss of pain escaped the snake woman's lips before disappeared in a flash of light. 

[hr]

Quillan watched as he teammates disappeared into the shifting jungle one by one. Soon enough it was just himself and Nailah left. "Good luck. Make him howl with pain." He said, getting in one last pun before looking Man in the eye. "Let's finish this Tarzan. I am the bravest." The scene shifted, just like it had with the others and Quillan found himself facing off against Man in a circular clearing. 

Quillan readied himself, tanto in hand to fight, but to his surprise Man was not poised for battle. Instead he sat cross legged on the jungle floor. Figuring that it was a trick, Quillan lunged forward, his blade ready to draw blood. Before he could however, Man's eyes snapped open. In a single fluid movement, he grabbed Quillan's armor at the elbow and flipped him overhead. 

Despite Quillan's surprise at the quick reaction, his reflexes saved him from landing on his face. Fashioning the air around him to turn him right side up, he skidded to a stop, landing on his feet. He looked at Man, a white aura seemed to have surrounded him. Man's eyes had become canine-like in appearance and his teeth seemed to have taken on a dog-like appearance. "Gift of the Wild - Father Wolf." In a flurry of movement, Man charged at Quillan on all fours. In an attempt to slow the shirtless neanderthal down, Quillan fired a barrage of super heated punches at the approaching enemy, but each one missed its mark by just centimeters. 

Letting out a powerful howl, Man tackled Quillan to the ground. Pinning Quillan to the jungle floor, he landed a number of powerful punches to Quillan's face in torso. Unable to muster enough strength to thrown the man off, Quillan took the beating, desperately trying to escape the situation. In the midst of the attack, the white aura had faded away and had been replaced with a thick red aura. "Gift of the Wild - Mother Bear."  Quillan watched as the veins in Man's arms thickened, straining against the skin as the muscle in his body grew exponentially. His nails lengthened into claws that flashed dangerously in the jungle sun. The razor sharp claws descended towards Quillan in a deadly arc. 

Quillan stopped his thrashing and did what any normal person in his situation would do. He blew. A powerful blast of air rushed past his lips, hitting Man in the face and sent him flailing backwards. Surprised by the turn of events, Quillan got back to his feet, leaning against a nearby tree. He had taken quite the beating from the massive man. 

"I smell fear. You afraid!" Man called in his primitive tongue, rushing towards Quillan yet again. The red aura had faded away to be replaced with a light blue one. As he charged, feathers began to sprout on Man's skin and two massive wings unfurled themselves. Taking to the sky, Man flew higher and higher until stopping in the air. "What in Zeus' name is that freak doing?" Quillan ached all over and knew that even in the air he was no match for the burly man. He studied his airborne enemy, trying to figure out what he was doing. 

Man's altitude began to drop. Faster and faster he plummeted towards the ground and for a short moment Quillan had thought that the idiot had lost his ability to fly. As Man drew closer, Quillan saw that it was not a fall, but a dive. "Gift of the Wild - Brother Eagle!" Quillan tried to move out of the way of the powerful dive, but nearly collapsed in the effort. Man's first attack had broken a number of ribs and quite possible his jaw. There was no way he would be able to move out of the way fast enough. He thought about summoning Vex, but he doubted that the storm spirit would be able to stop the massive Vanguard...or at least not without hurting herself. That left one option.

Opening the palm of his hand, a small twister appeared. The wind quickly died down and in its place a bola sat in his hand. "I don't think Atlanta will mind." With a great intake of breath, Quillan hurled the weighted weapon at the descending Vanguard. Releasing a jet of air from his fist, Quillan sped up the flailing weapon. Hitting its mark, the bola entrapped Man's wings. The dive turned into a fall, sending Man crashing into the ground a few feet from Quillan. The battle was not over yet though. Quillan watched in disappointed as Man picked himself up. The Vanguard brushed himself off as if the fall had been nothing. "Great courage, but you weak!" 

Quillan would have agreed with the brutish man, the battle had been obviously one sided, but what Man made up for in strength and power, he lacked in intelligence. "Archimedes!" A discolored cloud appeared in between Quillan and Man and out of it erupted a massive owl-like creature. Quillan's unit, a Strix, tackled Man to the ground, digging its claws into the Vanguard's revealed flesh. "Permission to kill?" "No just contain." Quillan felt Archimedes' mood turn sour at the order to spare Man, but he followed orders. Fixing Man with his Illusory Gaze, the struggling Vanguard began to grow still as the effects of Archimedes' attack overloaded his primitive brain.

Quillan collapsed on the ground, barely conscious, but he had won. He could only hope that help would arrive soon enough. 

As everyone took their opponents Nailah found herself locking eyes with the wolf. It's fur was a shade of dark that seemed unnatural. As though the word 'dark' was too bright a comparison, as it swallowed the darkest of colors. The coat was shiny, and appeared very well kept. The wolf's eyes were midnight black, glimmering with a strange intelligence and knowledge that Nailah instantly felt respect. The wolf studied her also peering into her eyes. It was a bit unnerving. Almost as if she was back with Thoth and he was peering into her mind. "I am Nailah, vanguard to Thoth. I shall be your opponent as the smartest." The wolf dropped it's head in a nodding motion. Suddenly Nailah and the Wolf were alone. The other Vanguards or animals weren't anywhere to be seen, and the thick brush of the Amazon was replaced by a plain of rich green grass.

"It is here that our match will take place." Slowly the fur began to reseeded into it's body, showing pale white skin and it's paws morphed into hands and feet. With the way things were going, Nailah thought the person would be naked but thankfully clothes came with the transformation. When it was done Nailah found herself staring into the eyes of an attractive male. He didn't have any weapons that she could see, but perhaps he could conjure them up. He stood in a calm pose, hands folded behind his back and white cape lifting lightly with the breeze.

"I am Láng, your opponent for this test."

Nailah nodded and felt the shackles on her power vanish. "So I take it this won't be a test of riddles."

Láng chuckled warmly. It was hard to feel any animosity from him. In fact, Nailah didn't feel any anger at all. There was only a stillness, like an ocean, but there was also a quiet rumbling of great power. "No. I've heard of your groups exploits, and unlike your bout with Orpheus this will be a test of physical prowess. Now," Láng bowed in respect. Nailah quickly straightened up and returned the show of respect, "Let us begin." He leaped into the air displaying impressive acrobatic feats, then landed right in front of Nailah. He then swiped his right hand out towards her stomach. All of his movements were quick, precise and without wasteful movement. Nailah jumped backwards with acrobatics of her own, landing in a fighting position and her staff pointed at Láng.

'That was strange...I thought I heard something.'

Láng lunged again, hands taut and rigid, but his body otherwise remained relaxed. He slashed at her attacks striking with amazing speed. 'That sound again...What is it?' It was then Nailah saw it. The wind curving around his hands as though he was slicing through it. Láng then kicked. If only for her quick speed did she manage to dodge it. As she backed away she felt a cut forming on her cheek. 'He's fast. Even his kicks are dangerous...All of his attacks cut through the air almost like...Like a sword.'

"Come now Nailah. Even in battle intelligence and mental strength is just as powerful a weapon. Have you already given up. The fight has only just began." His words, though sharp, didn't have a ring of spite or taunt.

Nailah laughed, "Of course not. I'm just getting started. Lama'ah." The hieroglyphs formed before being absorbed by the head of her Was. Three powerful swings of her staff and arks of heat waves shot out. Láng easily leaped over the first two but Nailah was sure to get him with the third. Or so she thought. With a powerful kick he actually split her attack in half allowing it to sail right past him. Alright it was time to finish this. She should have just done this in the first place. "Láng, Takhuthu-" Nailah's words were cut off when Láng was suddenly in front of her, his hand covering her mouth. With the same hand he used to cover her mouth, he pushed against her, slamming her on the ground for a back shattering slam. Nailah could take the hit. Instead of being stunned she brought her leg up into Láng's stomach and using the momentum he had from rushing her, she flipped him over her. Nailah rushed to her feet, "Muk-ka-" Again Láng's speed proved to be a pain for Nailah as she was forced to dodge a well aimed kick to her head. Unfortunately, his single kick turned into a combo and his following 360 round house, aimed for her head, landed. Luckily she blocked it with her arm but was still sent back from the force.

'He's out classing me. In speed he trumps me, and I can't win in brute force. I can't get a word out because the moment I start he closes in on me so fast.' Nailah frowned, looking down slightly, 'I've never felt so useless...I know I'm not weak or slow in melee but...He's just stronger and faster and without my Words of Thoth I'm completely useless.'

Láng tilted his head, "Are you done already? Come now, this can't be all you have to offer. If so then you are not worthy of meeting Pan."

Nailah didn't speak but readied herself. Láng nodded, "Good. Let us continue."

'Right, no negative thoughts. For a while now I've been in the back for support, so a problem like this just hasn't arrived until now. It's just one more thing I'll need to over come.' Contrary to how it may appear, using the Words of Thoth does require some form of concentration, but it is small causing the window to stopping her attack being a small margin...But it is there. Which is why whenever she previously used a Word she was still. If that was the case, then she would go in with melee. She dashed in, leaping into the air and bring her staff down over Láng's head. He dodged to the left, her open side, and her staff harmlessly hit the ground. Pivoting her front foot she spun around with a following horizontal strike. Ever quick he jumped right over her head landing behind her. The moment his foot hit the ground he threw a kick planning to end it, but Nailah wasn't giving up yet. She dropped down to her back, mostly on her shoulders, and the kick passed harmlessly over her. While on the ground she thrusted her staff over her head, which would put it between Láng's legs, and did a kick up with an upward vertical strike. He managed to dodge it by performing a back flip, though not completely as he had a matching scar on his face as well. 

He had a look of mild surprise. 'Now's my chance!' "Láng, Takhuthur-" Again right before she finish, his blade-like foot was coming towards her face. Only barely she managed to get her staff up in time to block it. 'Crap! What am I supposed to do?....Wait...I got it!' They separated, and Nailah got ready to execute her plan.

"From your eyes I can see you came up with something." Láng commented. Nailah just smirked, surprising Láng she threw her staff high into the air until it couldn't be seen. "Well that seemed rather pointless." 

"You'll see soon enough." Nailah called back running in and pulled her fist back for a punch. Láng readied to dodge, and right as she threw the punch, instead of actually punching she dropped forward for a handstand and locked her legs over his shoulders. In a great show of leg strength she flipped him over, now standing over him with her feet on either side of his head. Láng was stunned as blood shot from his mouth, giving Nailah enough time. "Muk-Karara." Again the hieroglyphs formed then shot into the air, where the staff Nailah threw earlier was starting to come down. When the words were absorbed the staffed multiplied into 9. Another front flip and she was in front of him with her arm raised in the air, "Now, Tum Turu." Dropping her hand the staffs descent increased, and plunged into the ground in a criss cross fashion over his arms and legs. The last staff fell towards her which she caught, and pointed at Láng's throat.

Nailah smirked, her breathing labored and skin glowing with sweat. "There. I won, now take me back." She was simply one word from really ending his life, and Láng knew it.

Láng observed Nailah for a moment then closed his eyes in defeat, "Congratulations, you have bested me Nailah."

"It was a very revealing battle. I thank you." All of Nailah's staffs, save the one in her hands, vanished and Láng returned to his wolf form as she was back in the Amazon where she saw the others already there.

She laughed, "So I'm the last one huh."

The shifting jungle began to blur around again, the trees creaked and the vines writhed as the scene changed for each of the Vanguards. Their human opponents quickly transformed back into their animal counterparts, appearing as though they had not been in battle at all. The Spearheads found themselves in the same position that they were in before the individual battles, minus the magical bonds. Beth was the first to notice Quillan's crumpled appearance. He stood hunched over, using a tree to keep his balance. His breathing came in labored gasps and blood trickled down from the corner of his mouth.

"What the Hades happened to you?" Beth asked. Quillan flushed with embarrassment. The others seemed to be more or less fine. A scratch or bruise, but nothing major. "You should see the other guy." Quillan croaked out, attempting to smile. The effort sent a terrible pain through his jaw causing him to groan in pain. Trying to ignore it, he turned his attention to Man and the four animal guardians. "We have passed your tests, let us see Pan." Quillan watched Man's reaction. Even though the two had just battled, the Amazonian Warrior seemed to be completely rejuvenated, showing no signs whatsoever of fatigue, and as much faith as he had in his team, after the battles they had all undergone he wasn't so sure that the Spearheads would be able to beat the herculean Vanguard. "No. You are not worthy to see my Patron." Quillan was shocked by the warrior's words. Mostly because he would have the audacity to deny the team passage after what they had been through, but also to find out which god was his Patron. It didn't come at a surprise that it was Pan, but understanding of his powers and familiarity with nature suddenly came crashing down.

Quillan opened his mouth to argue. But before he could get a word out, a breeze wafted through the clearing, bringing with it the smell of something that Quillan couldn't quite place. It smelled like the air on a mountaintop, but also like the scent of manicured garden. It brought forward both memories of happiness and anger. Of gentleness and wrath. It was the smell of the wild. "Step down, my child. They have earned passage." Hearing the words, the guardians in front of the Spearheads cleared to either side, bowing their heads. In the opening they had opened up between them, a golden light appeared. It grew so bright that Quillan had to shield his eyes.

When it died down, they were met with an interesting sight. An older looking man stood before them. He wore what appeared to be a toga, revealing his left shoulder and just the ends of his...feet hooves. Quillan did a double take. The hunched over man had the lower legs of what appeared to be a goat. He knew the stories of Pan resembling a satyr, but he had believed them to be the lies that got mixed in with the legends. Horns sprouted from Pan's wrinkled face, emerging from his curly brown hair. He was hunched over a walking stick, but yet still moving at a decent speed. "So why have you come to see me?" 

Quillan gave his team a desperate look, hoping that they would understand. He wouldn't be able to talk with his jaw in such a shape. It would be up to them to seal the deal.

Leon, watching Quillan look to his comrade with a jaw almost broken off of his face, looked to Pan with his piercing eyes, his Manticore standing fierce behind him. Bowing his head in a nod with respect Leon decided to speak upon their leader's behalf. "Your Lordship, we have came to find you because your father, Hermes, seeks you out. He has asked us that we would recover you from here and bring you to the safety of the Alliance, the safety it yields from Ragnarok and the forces they gather. Your father fears for your safety, for we have received word from our Norse allies."

Leon looked to his comrades, wondering if they had any idea what he was about to do - summoning one of his Heliopolian Iklwa, namely one with a small scroll of paper, he presented it to Genzai so as for him to hand it to Pan, making sure Quillan and Nailah could also get a fair look at the page. "The Fire Giant, Surtr, is said to be allied with Ragnarok. His flames may make this abode, your abode, an easy target - for his flames are said to be able to engulf the very world." Looking back to his allies with a worried expression he hoped they'd be able to aid in swaying Pan to join the cause of the alliance. "Your father worries for your safety, as do all of the Alliance."

"It is crucial to return with us. I understand you hold a very strong Vanguard, with four incredible animals..." Genzai said, as he took a look at the scroll, as he passed it to the other allies. "Just brute strength like that of these five you ally yourself with won't protect you for too long. I am not trying to degrade your warrior's potential, nor your decision of having him. However, I am stating that if you pool your Vanguard along with his companions back to your father...we may be able to help protect you and the others as well. Not only that, your Vanguard's strength will be able to help combat the forces of Ragnarok."

Genzai looked at the eagle, at Quauhtli, and smiled a bit before returning to Pan. "I ask that you please consider returning with us to your father. He has missed you, and if he didn't...he wouldn't have sent us to find you."

Quillan appreciated his comrades' words. Although he couldn't help but feel a bit defeated. Here they were about to finished the mission and he couldn't speak. You are pitiful. The words of Vex echoed in his mind. The storm spirit was hovering just a few meters behind him, having returned from wherever the wild magic had sent her. With a sigh, the storm spirit purposefully walked forward, entering Quillan's body. Instantly an electrical charge went through him. He once again felt the sheer chaotic power she stored within her, except instead of harnessing it for destruction, Quillan used to push passed the pain that coursed throughout his body.

"Look Goat Bro, we freaking traveled through the Amazon to find you. We fought  your pet pig. And kicked the crap out of your guardians. Now if are really as honorable as you would have us believe with your little show, you would come with us. Your father might as well have sent us into the depths of Tartarus with the Hell that we just went through. Now put on your big boy pants, and come with us." The words just leapt from Quillan's mouth. His anger was getting the better of him, he knew, but he couldn't help it. 

"You no talk like that. You die for words." Man spoke, taking a step towards Quillan. It appeared as if his hot headed words had angered the neanderthal. Before the Vanguard of the Wild could make a move however, Pan maneuvered his cane in front of the burly man. "You speak either with great bravery or great stupidity young Vang-" 

"I am pretty sure that we established that it was the first." Quillan interrupted.

"Yes quite so. And I admire that in you. I admire each and everyone of you. You have proven yourselves to be the very best of humankind. And yet, how can I return? The world is filled with the filth of your human cities. The air is clogged with your pollution. The oceans with your waste. Perhaps the flames of a razing fire is what is best for me. My father does not understand. Always too busy to listen to the words of his 'hippie child'. No, I cannot go with you."

Quillan was about to blow. This old goat was proving to be the most annoying thing on this mission, and they had had to fight a giant boar. Just as he was about to blow his top, he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Beth's. "Pan. I must ask you to reconsider. You do not understand. Your father does care for you. He wants you at his side. He told me tell you that he is sorry. And to give you this." Beth held out her hands and from it a small hummingbird fluttered in the air landing on the shoulder of the god. It tweeted about and Pan seemed to be listening to it.

"Who are you, dear?"

"My name is Beth. I the Vanguard of Hermes. Your father is my patron."

An understanding appeared in Pan's eyes. "Very well. I will consider returning. You there? What say you?" Pan asked the only remaining member of the Spearheads that had not spoken. Quillan looked to Nailah with a sort of admiration. If there was anyone that could seal the deal. It was her. 

Nailah watched at listened closely to the words of her fellow Spearheads as they tried to persuade Pan to return back with them and to his father. As she expected Pan was stubborn. To be honest she felt that the others had handled it perfectly, and she was expecting to have to say anything. Of course that was until Pan turned to her asking for her 2 cents. Nailah took a moment mulling over the current situation, what was already said, as well as her choice of words. What could she possibly say that could further persuade Pan. Like Quillian she too felt a little angry, but it was because of Pan's earlier reply. It was a few more seconds before she sighed. "Well, obviously I express the same concerns and wishes as my fellow spearheads so I guess it would be pointless to just repeat what they have said. Though...There is one thing that does piss me off. It's about what you said, that the flames being fitting for you. So you're saying that rather than coming back with us you would let everything in this forest burn to ashes. Let those who follow you fall to the enemy simply because you are too stubborn to see the greater picture, and I for one will not let all of the memories I've lost go to waste because of it."

"Pardon my words, but are you not just sulking. Throwing a tantrum just because your father wouldn't listen to your whims. As you are a god yourself you should know better than anyone that you all are so knee deep in your own prideful stubbornness that you all rarely listen to the other party." She was about to continue but stopped herself as she realized that her words may have the opposite effect. Nailah wasn't sure why she felt so agitated about it, but decided that was a problem for another day. She continued again, this time much calmer than before.

"I know you don't want to see such a beautiful place be destroyed. Like Genzai said, though your warriors are indeed powerful even strength deteriorates over time, and it would be a shame to allow such fighters to fall. It would be in everyone's best interest if you would return back with us. Return and speak to your father, perhaps you can find common ground. I'm sure stranger things have happened. Either way, we could really use your help." She blushed a bit, now embarrassed about her earlier failure at controlling her tongue. She should really work on that.

Quillan was in slight admiration of Nailah's words. She had managed to give Pan a good tongue thrashing, yet still remained on equal footing with him. Something that Quillan had never been able to figure out how to do. He thought that he should say something, but the power boost that Vex had provided was wearing off and his jaw was once again beginning to ache. Instead he looked to Pan.

The God of the Wild looked to Nailah as she spit out her words of venom. His expression changed from serenity to anger. Then, to realization. "I...I...I don't..." Pan seemed to take on a defeated look. "Very well. You speak words of truth. All of you. The jungle is my last home. The only home that I have known in the last three decades. But I will leave it in the hands of my followers. Man will accompany me to Olympus. Shall we take our departure?"

And then they all had sex.

Leon smiled as he watched Nailah do what she did best, talk - it was just incredible how she could spit such fierce fires, so much so to render a God speechless before al but bowing to them by the knee. She had a damn knack with those words of her's. Chuckling, he looked to the rest of the Spearheads and smiled. "All in favour of me resuming de facto leadership while Quillan's jaw is still struck?" Patting the wind Vanguard's back and rubbing it a bit, he whispered to his comrade "You did pretty good, though. We'll get you patched up, one way or another." Leon smiled as he stood back up - whether elected or not to resume the duty, what they had experienced was definitely, without a doubt, a very strong learning curve. Leon took with him the value of his units, more so now than ever. Had he not had them he could have easily died.

The journey home wasn't anything spectacular. Hermes had arranged all the details, and it seemed that Beth was a benched member again, sadly. Of course, a new sausage added to the fest, Man was ranked into the Spearhead unit. That made the tally up to a very lucky seven.

At the Spearheads' Grecian Headquarters, aka their small little barracks that homed them during the party, we'd find the Spearheads taking care of their dear friend Quillan. With the party boy fairly injured Leon couldn't not pity the poor guy. So, asking around, he had pulled a few strings. For now, we'll see that the four, excluding Man who remained outside simply due to the fact that he'd probably open stitches, by Quillan's bedside, with Leon pulling the curtains to his room to dim the lights just a mo'. Leon frowned as he contemplated the late mission. All hadn't tied up. Looking back to the team he decided to speak on the matter. "We didn't ask Pan about that boar. I suppose Artemis might have a clue, though." After a while, a knock on the door turned up - opening up, Leon smirked before looking to Nailah and Genzai: "Alright guys, time to take out leave." he said slyly, before opening the door and letting in Aphrodite's Vanguard. With a chuckle Leon left Quillan to the fantasy scenario.

Of course another departure for the moment came about - while Man stayed in Olympus, Genzai would be parted from the Egyptians. Leon, patting the loyal warrior's should, sighed. "I was you'd come live with Nailah and I in Egypt. I hate the idea of you being out there on your own." he spoke with sincerity. Alas even Leon knew that today wouldn't be the day, it was too soon for plans to change and no motions had been made in the way of such a thing. So, Leon gave Genzai a hug, with a few strong pats on the back before making his way.

Leon had no idea why he was acting like this - maybe it was an anxiety drawn on by Man having divided the teams up. Leon didn't truly realize how weak he was on his own, he didn't like that. He didn't want to be the chain that held the team back, he didn't want to be the weak spot. He was born to inspire, to give hope, that was his drive - if he had none for himself, where would he stand?

Being left with Nailah, he felt the air change as it very much so would have. Looking to her at Heliopolis, he shook his head. "I really admire what you did back there. You stood up, for all of us,you really pulled us through. I don't think Pan would've came if you hadn't gave those words." Following this, and taking a deep breath Leon would go to hug Nailah, holding her close as he spoke again. "I didn't think just how weak I was on my own. I didn't realize how much I hold this team back. It took being on death's door bell to do so. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty scared." Confiding to her, he would part from their hug should she have reciprocated before clenching a fist. "So, there's only one thing for me to do now. Train even harder."
[hr]

Chapter 7 - The Tides Turn

A few weeks later, Leon found himself worried when he received an emergency call. Hopefully meeting with Nailah, Leon warped straight to the beacon of the distress call - Japan. Indeed, the Spearheads had only ever been to Asia on two occasions - once with Ao Kuang, and now again with this mysterious call. Being summoned to Genzai's home town for a change indicated something particularly special with their mission. No doubt about it, the Spearheads would be charged again with a dangerous and tricky special operations missions that they were notoriously very good at. Of course Leon would ablige to the chance - it'd be a great opportunity to see who they're paired up with. Maybe Man'd come for the ride?

"Leon! Nailah! Glad you guys made it. Quillan has already arrive, and he brought Pan's Vanguard with him...so Man will be accompanying us." Genzai said, as he lead the two Egyptian Vanguards to Quillan and Man. After that, they headed straight to the Shinto Throne room.

Naruto Shippuden OST ~ Maisou

Once the Spearheads entered the throne room of the Shinto gods, Ryujin entered the room after. He spirals around as he stood off to the right, allowing the three main gods to begin the debriefing.

Izanagi stood as he gave the Spearheads the traditional Japanese bow. "I've heard great things from you, Spearheads. Zeus and the other gods around the world have began to tell of your great feats." he said as he knelt down on his knees. "However, I fear that this may be your hardest mission yet."

"Izanagi-sama, I assure you, we can handle it." Genzai said, in a confident tone.

"Be it as it may, you don't know the mission as of yet, Genzai-san." Amaterasu said, as she smiled at the young man's confidence. "The mission has to do with my brother: Susanoo."

Susanoo, Izanagi's third child, brought forth after Izanagi washed his face from the pollutes of Yomi, born straight from his nose. He was the Shinto god of the storms and even a trickster. But his main feat was the fact that he slew the dreaded serpent, the Yamata-no-Orochi with the help of his blade Kusanagi. A mission that involved Susanoo was not just a mission that almost ranked up with the Ao Kuang mission, but having a strong honor to have been chosen for something that involved him.

Tsukuyomi cleared his throat, and continued. "It is because of him we summon you. Ever since these events, Susanoo has become desperate and has stolen something amongst the Shinto deities." he turned and pointed at Ryujin. "Ryujin was the one he stole from. The jewels with which he controls the tides: the Tide Jewels, have been taken from the sea dragon's claws."

Genzai understood a bit, why things weren't all they seemed when he saw Ryujin earlier today. His fists began to clench tightly, as he listened in more to this mission.

"As my children have said, your mission is to confront my son, Susanoo, and retrieve the Tide Jewels. I want him alive, so please do not kill him. He must answer to us..." Izanagi said, as he then stood up. "You will find him in the Izumo Province...and Ryujin's Vanguard: Genzai-san will lead you."

Genzai's eyes sparked up, as he heard what Izanagi said lastly. "Me, Izanagi-sama?"

Yes Genzai-san. You are the only one in the Spearheads that can navigate through the terrains that Japan holds. You know more about the customs here than they do. A guide is required, and you are the guide. Genzai-san, you have a noble spirit, a great leadership quality...you must lead them. Ryujin said, with a wide smile.

The Shinto Vanguard stood up and bowed respectfully. "Izanagi-sama, Amaterasu-sama, Tsukuyomi-sama, Ryujin-sama....I humbly accept this task. I give you my word....we shall not fail."

Quillan didn't remember much after Pan agreed to come back to Olympus. He remembered bits and pieces of conversations on the ride back. He remembered riding the air much like he did in training, but in a much more controlled way. And then he remembered waking up in Olympus' version of a hospital. His teammates all around him. Smiles and laughs. Questions and answers. The blank parts in Quillan's memory were filled by his fellow teammates, but there was one thing that was still nagging at him, as was it Leon, the Calydonian Boar. That had been the once piece to the puzzle, that one turn in the maze, that hadn't been explained. He made a note to ask Atlanta or Man about it later. Once he got out of the hospital bed.

The Spearheads were having a good time when a knock on the door silenced them. A mischievous smile appeared on Leon's face as he answered it. Quillan tried to see who was at the door, but Leon effectively hid anything he may have seen from view. After a few whispered words, Leon gestured for Genzai and Nailah to follow him outside. The other two smiled, it seemed that everyone was in on this except for him. "Guys, what is going on?" Quillan asked. He was about to protest to such treatment more, but his jaw still ached. The gods were quite miraculous, Apollo himself had treated Quillan, but there was only so much the immortals could do for a mortal. Quillan was no longer in any danger of losing use of his jaw, but he had already consumed the max amount of ambrosia, the rest would have to be taken care of naturally. 

Once the Spearheads had filed out, Quillan expected to be left alone. What kind of friends were they? Leaving him all alone. But it was just as Quillan thought such a thought did a familiar face appear. The Vanguard of Aphrodite was visiting him in the hospital. No words were exchanged between them. After the party a few weeks ago, the two had hooked up, and while they were nothing more than friends with benefits, it looked like there might actually be something there. 

The two began to kiss. Deeply and passionately. Like talking, the activity made Quillan's jaw ache, but he didn't mind. It was a good kind of pain. Things slowly began to progress, the clothing on their bodies slowly becoming scarce. Just as they were about to get to the good part, a familiar crash interrupted them and Quillan let out a groan of displeasure. Sandra, Aphrodite's Vanguard let out a squeal of surprise, turning to see the figure in the doorway.

"Again Atlanta? You have got to be kidding me?!" Quillan yelled at the dark skinned huntress. She offered only a teasing smile. "Just wanted to wish you a happy welcome back." The smile on her face led Quillan to believe that she knew very well what she had been interrupting. "Could you please leave?" Sandra asked, holding her exposed breasts so as to shield them from Atlanta. "Oh of course blondie. But may I say, you two would make a perfect couple. You have the same bra size." Atlanta said as she closed the door. 

"THEY ARE PECS!" Quillan yelled after the huntress. "Of course they are." Sandra said as she pushed Quillan back on the hospital table. The two wouldn't be heard from for a few more hours.

[hr]

A few days later...

Quillan was officially was released from the hospital unit. His release was greeted by the one active Vanguard in the Spearheads, Man. The shirtless Tarzan of a man had come to visit Quillan frequently in the few days he had spent in the hospital wing, and even though he was the reason that Quillan was there, the two had gotten along quite well. "Do you ever put a shirt on?" Quillan asked. Despite the placating question, the two smiled at each other. It had become common occurrence for them to make such quips at each other. 

"You ever put shirt off?" Quillan couldn't help but be amused by Man's comment. The slightly dense warrior was still having trouble learning the art of wit and sarcasm, Quillan had taken it upon himself to educate him. "Good, yes?" He asked. "For you." Quillan said through his laughter. Taking Quillan's laughter to be at his joke, Man laughed along. "So you want train?" Man asked. Quillan sighed.

"I just got out of the hospital, do you want to put me back in it?"

"You 'fraid?" 

"I'll meet you in the training field." 

The days went on like this. Quillan and Man sparring with each other. Notus had agreed to let Quillan stay in Olympus instead of in his kingdom of Aithiopia. He figured that the companionship of both Man, and his 'relationship' with Sandra was good for him. Ever since the mission in the Amazon, Quillan's depression seemed to have dissipated and he had been coming along better in his training after learning what it felt like to take the lead.

In the middle of one of their sparring rounds, Quillan asked Man a question. "So what was up with Calydonian Boar?" The two clashed in the middle of the practice field before retreating to opposite ends to only reengage a few seconds later.

"What mean? It is envoy of wild."

"Okay, but I thought it was dead." 

"Nothing wild dies. Wild only sleeps." 

"So you sent it after us?"

"No. Jungle did."

"The jungle? Man, the jungle isn't alive."

Man gave Quillan an incredulous look as if he had just spit flames at him. "Jungle very much alive. Spirit of the wild lives inside. Jungle test you. You pass."

"Oh."

"Barely." 

[hr]

A few weeks after the Spearheads return from the Amazon, they received a distress call. Having rooms right next to one another in Olympus, Quillan and Man burst out of them at the same time.

"Japan. It's Genzai."

"We go."

---

Quillan and Man beat Leon and Nailah to the Shinto Vanguard's hideout. After establishing there was no immediate danger, they exchanged pleasantries. Genzai asked how they were doing. Quillan responded by asking if the formal warrior had slept with anyone lately. It was all very polite and appropriate. As they did so, Man had gotten down on all four and had begun to sniffing around the place. Noticing what he was doing, Quillan snapped at him. "We had this talk, Man. Use the toilet."

Leon and Nailah arrived soon after, and before long the briefing began. Like always, the gods' and their droning began to bore the Grecian Vanguard. Man was trying to pay attention, but had never been exposed to such a situation before and as such he was easily distracted by Quillan. "Watch this." He whispered in the burly man's ear. Holding up two fingers, Quillan conjured a small sphere of twisting wind in between them. Flicking it towards Leon, Quillan watched in amusement as the marble sized projectile hit the back of the Egyptian Vanguard's neck. Quillan and Man snickered at the prank, gaining them a number of dirty looks not just from their fellow Spearheads, but also from the gods that were doing the briefing.

After being subtly reprimanded, Quillan rolled his eyes. These Japanese gods were such a bore. Always so formal. He saw where Genzai got it from. 

Yes Genzai-san. You are the only one in the Spearheads that can navigate through the terrains that Japan holds. You know more about the customs here than they do. A guide is required, and you are the guide. Genzai-san, you have a noble spirit, a great leadership quality...you must lead them. 

Quillan's ears perked up at this comment. Leon would be relieved from command twice in a row. Quite the upset. But I guess everyone deserved a turn. 

Thankfully her words were just what the doctor ordered, and Pan agreed to come back with them. He left his warriors behind to protect the forest, all except Man who returned with the rest of them. Having returned to Olympus Quillian was able to get the medical attention he needed. It was only moments later did the help arrive and the rest of them took their leave. Man would stay in Olympus, and Genzai would return to his home in Japan. Before they parted Leon expressed his wish that he would be able to back to Egypt with him and Nailah. Of course that wasn't possible. Eventually she was back home in Heliopols, but more importantly she was now alone with Leon.

"Some mission, huh." She smiled stepping a bit closer to Leon, more than what was probably necessary. "But we pulled through."

"I really admire what you did back there. You stood up, for all of us,you really pulled us through. I don't think Pan would've came if you hadn't gave those words." Nailah flushed rubbing her arms. It never failed to brighten her mood when Leon said anything praising her. She was surprised when Leon took her in his arms for a hug. Surprised, but no less willing to reciprocate the action. She listened to his words surprised that he trusted her enough to confide something so personal. He parted from her saying he needed to train more in order to over come his weakness and fear. Nailah smiled reaching out for his hand. "If you ever need help just ask me and I'll do what I can." Nailah gently kissed the back of his hand, then looked at him and grinned. "K."

~Weeks Later~

It was a while before she was given another mission with the Spearheads, and she was quite excited for this one. They would be going to Japan, a beautiful and tradition rich country. She couldn't wait to see it with her own eyes. Meeting Leon before the departure, they were taken to Japan where Quillian, Genzai and Man were already there.

"Konnichiwa!" Her mask was of course back on, but it was easy to know she was grinning from ear to ear. 

The group was given their briefing. To find Susanoo and retrieve the Tide Jewel. From the side she notice Quillian whisper something to Man. She watched as Quillian threw a small ball of air at the back of Leon's neck. She chuckled, but tried to cover it with a cough. Eventually the Gods got to the matter to leadership, which was yet another surprise. For this mission Genzai would take point.

'Interesting...Can't wait to see how this unfolds itself.'

Standing stoic in the face of the Gods, and a f*cking, irritating piece of shit that was like a bullet to the back of his neck which forced him to bite his lip behind them being pursed, Leon listened and paid key attention to the mission given. Needless to say, despite how well posture he managed to keep himself, he felt absolutely furious and, when given the chance, was going to kick Quillan's ass afterwards. Not fighting, a literal boot straight into his heiney. In fact, he was even swilling the end of his boot against the floor to get it ready for the needed precautions. Sure, Genzai would be leading them in this mission, but Leon didn't care - he was adamant on putting the guy in his place.

That did bring attention to said point - leadership would, again, be shifted from Leon. The Vanguard didn't mind this change. After all it gave his comrades the opportunity to shine, and to be a good leader would be to want this. Leon, however, was beginning to feel uncomfortable - his own talents were groomed for a natural leader. He feared for them to be put to waste. He noted the ineffectiveness of his magic in the Amazon, and had been working on this heavily with the days of training given in hopes to inspire morale in his comrades - but at this rate it would seem this would be rendered moot, the responsibility was shifted again.

A soft, hopefully unnoticed sigh, Leon nodded to the Gods and bowed courteously to them. He then looked to Genzai patiently, and awaited further orders - Nailah might be able to note his pursed lips, sealed shut hiding grinding teeth of frustration. Evidently, this was eating at him.

With all this said, Izanagi simply held a scroll in his hand, before tossing it to Genzai. "One opened...you will arrive in the Izumo Province...it will only open once more, when the mission is complete."

"Understood, Izanagi-sama." Genzai said, as he and the rest of the Spearheads stood up. The Shinto Vanguard quickly opened the scroll, as the group was enveloped in a bright light. Once it died down, the Izumo Province was where they wound up. "My friends, letting you know this in advanced. If Susanno has gone as crazy as it seems...he will most likely call forth Oni...the demons of Japan. I have faith in you all, I know you will defeat them without any problems."

Genzai simply, looked around, noticing a castle like shrine in the distance. And from the ominous clouds that surrounded it...that was the place Susanoo would be. "There. That's our target."

Quillan awaited to be engulfed by the bright light. Beside him, he felt Man tense up. The large brute was no doubt afraid of such alien magic. Making sure that no one else on the team noticed, he put his hand on the warrior's bare shoulder. "It's okay." Quillan reassured. Man relaxed slightly, letting the light wash over him. Once it died away, the cool air of Izumo Province gnawed lightly on Quillan's bare shoulders. He looked over to the nearly naked Man and couldn't help but think how uncomfortable he must be. To Quillan's surprise however, he gave no sign that he showed in discomfort. 

"Magic." Man whispered underneath his breath. He held out both his arms looking at them, as if to make sure they were still there. Quillan chuckled at the exclamation. "Gonna have to get used to it, bud." Quillan said, slapping him on the back. 

"We do more magic?" Man asked, excitedly. 

"Um...not right now. Maybe later." Quillan replied. He found it funny that the burly man could perform acts of powerful, even godly, magic, yet was astounded by the simplest of spells. Man nodded in acceptance, frowning slightly in disappointment. 

"My friends, letting you know this in advanced. If Susanno has gone as crazy as it seems...he will most likely call forth Oni...the demons of Japan. I have faith in you all, I know you will defeat them without any problems." Quillan nodded, pretending like he knew what an Oni was. In truth, his knowledge of the Shinto mythology was the one lacking the most. And it seemed as if he wasn't the only one. "What Oni?" Man whispered in Quillan's ear, although his deep voice could probably be heard by all of the Spearheads.

"Uh...I'll let Genzai fill us in on that."

"What Oni?"

"As I mentioned before, they are Yokai or demons of Japan." Genzai smiled, as he walked towards the middle of the group. "Most of these Oni are humanoid in origin...usually wearing tiger-skin loincloths, such one like yours Man...carrying iron clubs or other weapons. Wild hair, long claws, teeth, horns...very ogre-like for the most part." he explained, with a simple nod.

"Oni are very tricky...and usually strong...depending on who is summoning them."

[hr]

"Oni are very tricky...and usually strong...depending on who is summoning them."

"Vanguard of Ryujin...you are absolutely right...and when I summon them...they'll be very strong." Susanoo smirked, watching from a small scroll that floated by his throne. He snapped his fingers, and at once...something sprinted from the shrine...heading towards the Spearheads.

[hr]

"Now, unless there are any more questions, we should..." Genzai turned around for five seconds, as he heard the sounds of chains rattling. There, in the distance...he saw about three of these strange creatures"On guard!! Susanoo just released the Oni Beasts...and judging by the way they look...they're extremely hungry!!"

Quillan paid close attention as Genzai described the Oni monsters. He was about to ask what a female Oni would look like, if it would be attractive or not, and if it was possible to get one pregnant, but was interrupted by the voice of a previously unnoticed god. That and in itself was strange. Man would have normally alerted the group to any strong presence, seeing as his senses were much more acute than the rest of the warriors. That meant that Susanoo had either masked his presence before, or had just appeared. 

Three quadrupedal beasts charged towards the Spearheads. They ran much like a dog, but had the physique of a full grown grizzly bear. They were eating up the distance between the Spearheads and the shrine at an alarming rate. "On guard!! Susanoo just released the Oni Beasts...and judging by the way they look...they're extremely hungry!!" There was no need for the warning, Quillan had already drawn his tanto and in the other he held three shuriken, ready to strike. 

"Those are Oni?!" Quillan asked, all thoughts of getting it on with one completely vanquished from his mind. "Smell bad." Man stated, wrinkling his nose in distaste. Quillan prepared to make a quip about Man's own stench, seeing as he had yet to agree to shower, but it would have to wait till later. The Oni Beasts were closing in. The two reached a silent understanding that they would team up against one of the Oni Beasts. With five of the Spearheads there, it would still leave enough Vanguards to deal with other two. 

Man charged the Oni Beast, the two collided, muscle fighting muscle. It was a reversed tug of war, each side shoving each other, trying to get the other to buckle under the weight. While Man entertained the atrocious beast, Quillan took the opening and got behind it. Launching the shuriken at the creature's back, he watched as the three jarring impacts provided enough interference for Man to win the shoving match. 

Quick as a snake, Man was on top of the sickening creature, pummeling it with his bare hands. "Bad doggy. Bad doggy." He said with each hit. The sight would almost be funny if it weren't so dangerous. It looked as if their encounter with the beast was more or less over, but in a fit of desperation, the Oni Beast broke free of Man's hold. "No. Stay!" Man commanded, as the monster strategically retreated from the hulking man, setting its sights on Quillan. Quillan held up his hand, signaling for Man to stay put. If he chased after the monster he would get in Quillan's way, which could prove detrimental to the mission. 

The beast continued its charge, saliva dribbling out of its ravenous mouth and its one yellow eye fixed on Quillan's position. Waiting for the right time, Quillan slammed his fists together, activating his Cyclone Sphere technique. A loud 'whooshing' sound filled the air and the wind began to rapidly circle around Quillan, sending the charging monster high into the air. 

"Gift of Wild - Mother Bear." A red aura surrounded Man as his arms bulged with the temporary strength increase. His eyes took on a wild look and his nails lengthened into vicious brown claws. Eyes to the sky, Man watched as the Oni Beast began to plummet towards the ground. With a quick snap of his hand, Man caught the beast, holding him away from his body so as to avoid any harm to his person. "Bad, bad dog."

Spear at hand with Genzai's signal, Leon scowled and leered at the three grotesque, grunt-tiered enemies. Leering at one particular fellow who was curiously, or more so strategically glancing over to his comrade brawling with another, Leon took this to mean an attempt to rally up and come to the rescue - reading himself, he focussed his gaze and prepared his arm for a throw. With no skill less than a sniper, Leon's arm came down hurdling with force, the spear easily skewering the creature and bringing out a blood-curdling cry of pain from the throw. Smirking, the Vanguard was content with his shot. The fight would get fairly easy from this point out.

Not willing to give the creature an ounce of mercy, Leon quickly made use of his Weapon Affinity, having his spear return to him and thus opening the wound on the Oni Beast, making it much worse for the creature's well-being. Of course, that wouldn't stop it entering a berserk, so much so that with a furious growl it charged for Leon. This Vanguard, though, was dead-set on training, and had promised Nailah he'd overcome his fear of becoming a weak link in the chain that was the Spearhead group in terms of one-on-one combat. Sure, this was a grunt, but that made no difference.

With a well timed boot straight to the skull of the creature, Leon had its face plant into the dirt. With a predator's glare he growled with a feral demeanour. Looking down to the creature he asserted his dominance through his quick, ruthless force, and reminded this beast, and hopefully Susanoo, that he stood high on top of the food chain. It was more than obvious Leon hungered to be back on top, leader again, and this frustration was bursting out in his combat style.

Then came something Leon didn't expect - a whimpering cry, the creature looked up to him with fear, a clear plead.

Leon was an honour-bound warrior, placing principles such as this first hand. Sighing, he lessened the pressure of his foot and threw down his spear, summoning a Sun Spear in its stead. Furthermore, igniting it with holy flames from his Burning Soul ability he thrusted the spear straight at the wound of the Oni. Leon had designated this surrendered creature an ally, thus the manipulation of these flames had a rapid healing effect, the wound burnt and sealed rapidly to prevent bleed out and to hopefully slow down any other risks, giving him a chance to recover. Of course Leon then wrapped an arm around and had the Oni fastened tight, unable to move as he looked over to Genzai.

"Do they deserve mercy, Genzai?"

Archived