Upon the return to the palace Leon was breathing gently, calming his racing heart as he looked towards his comrades, watching Susano'o and Quillan be carted off for their treatment. With a soft sigh Leon rubbed his brow and shook his head. He knew now that he didn't need further training - Quillan seemed to begin to fall behind among their team, and Leon could not allow that. He would not accept leaving one of his comrades behind. Furthermore the fact that he was consistently pushing himself and resulting in injury brought worry, concern to the de facto leader. While indeed Quillan and Leon did not always see eye to eye, that didn't mean Leon wasn't concerned for Quillan's well being.

With the resolution of the pizza saga, Leon looked towards Quillan. Notably, Leon remained in his Fusion form. Nonetheless Leon patted Man's back. "You did magnificently today. We're lucky to have you, Vanguard of Pan. I hope you'll choose to continue to work with us as time goes on." He gave the hulking tarzan a smile of confidence, before looking to Quillan with a deep breath. "Quillan, you're the ballsiest member on this team. I admire your courage. Trust me when I say this - you're vital to this team in more ways you can know."

Of course with this resolved Leon patiently awaited for Genzai and Ryujin to return. He decided to spend time with Nailah in doing so. Fact was where they stood was quite blurry despite being obvious. Whatever the case, it didn't stop him from taking and stroking her hand. "I'm sorry about your Was, but I'm sure Ptah or his Vanguard will be able to craft a new one sometime soon." With a chuckle he looked to her strikingly beautiful eyes. "Still, better that than yourself. I don't know what I'd have done if things went down differently." He let out a sigh of relief as the burden was relieved, before gently cupping her cheeks and kissing her ear, whispering sweet nothings to her.

After this Leon decided to address the Spearheads on the matter evident upon him. "Listen up. Right now, I'm in a fused state. I've merged the powers of my units in order to drastically bolster my abilities. The manner to do so is very simple, but from what I've been told, the effects are permanent and irreversable by conventional means. Fusing will set us leagues apart from normal Vanguards, and may give us power capable of rivalling a God's - this power is dependant on how strong your unit is, the summoning means to bring your Unit to being, and other things like how easy it is to summon your unit. The point is, over the next month, I will be personally training you all so that you are able to use Fusion, as well as improve your abilities in general. That clear?"

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After an impressive display of power from Leon, and Genzai's finishing blow to Orochi, it was defeated and the Spearheads had yet another staggering victory under their belts. Nailah was exhausted, ready to fall asleep any moment. Baruti and Isetnofret returned, with the Isis reminding Nailah of her promise for a proper cleaning once returning home. With another promise to her unit Nailah adorned her mask once again. Upon retrieving Susano'o, they returned to Izanagi's throne room by use of the scroll previously handed to Genzai. When they returned Genzai requested medical attention for both Susano'o and Quillian, though the latter refused saying he only needed a snack. As such he somehow made a pizza slice appear - now that was the type of power anyone would love - but before he could eat it, it was snatched away by Man who was probably just as hungry. Laughing tiredly Nailah turned to Leon who was making his way towards her. He grabbed her hand, caressing it gently as he spoke.

After hearing his words, Nailah sighed, "Me too. It's because I neglected to get it checked like I should have. If only it was a real Was then I wouldn't have that problem. If it wasn't for Baruti I would have became a Nailah lunch for Orochi." Baruti really did save her neck more times than she could count. Thoth knew what he was doing when he assigned Baruti as her unit. It was like having a watchful big brother. Leon reclaimed her attention by cupping her face, and whispering sweet nothings into her ear. Though embarrassed by the intimacy she hooked her arms under his and accepted his words.

Afterwards it was straight back to business. She was both impressed and slightly annoyed at how quick he could switch between the two, when it took her a few moments to gather her wits again. More than a little confused on where they stood, as it was never actually verbalized or ever talked about it. She sighed hoping that they would get to it soon, then tuned in too what he was saying. It was an explanation on what he did during the fight with Orochi. It was called a fusion, by him merging with his units. Can they even do that? Well obviously if Leon accomplished it. He then revealed that over the next month he would train each of them personally in order to help them achieve their own fusion.

"Well...This month is bound to be fun."

"Fusion. And such a high risk to obtain your new power, Leon. Yet, it is an impressive technique." Genzai spoke, as he nodded. As they carried on, the Shinto Gods returned to the throne room, as everyone began to quiet down.

"Vanguards...I humbly apologize for my actions." Susano'o said as he walked in lastly, falling on his knees before the Spearheads. "My actions were not my own, but rather the foul Orochi. In truth, since the events of Ragnarok began, that monster's power began to grow stronger...stronger than my most powerful seal from the sake jar I sealed him in. Weeks continued and power began to leak from it...and once it did, I'm afraid I fell under his control...like a puppet. Please forgive my actions..."

Genzai smiled softy, as he knelt down, placing his hand on Susano'o's shoulder. "Susano'o-sama...please, don't bow to us. What happened was not your fault." He stood back up with the God of Storms and then turned to Ryujin. He handed his to his Patron, two sapphire blue jewels: the Tide Jewels. "They are returned to you, Ryujin-sama."

Thank you, Genzai-san. Now, from what Izanagi has told me...he and the other Shinto Gods have a series of gifts for you all. Ryujin smiled, taking the jewels.

Izanagi nodded, as he looked at Nailah. "Nailah-chan! To you, we have a piece of bamboo for you." he said, as he took something wrapped in cloth which was a bamboo stalk. "This bamboo happens to be the strongest one in Japan. With this, you should be able to forge a new Was from it." Izanagi smiled as he handed her the bamboo stalk.

"Next, Man-san!" Izanagi said, turning to the wild Vanguard. "From what I heard from Ryujin, you are the only Vanguard without a Unit. With this in mind, we've brought you one." He snapped his fingers and suddenly a creature, resembling a raccoon or a dog was summoned forth. "This, is a Japanese Tanuki, a raccoon dog. He has no name yet...but he is very loyal. And I know you'll be a great match for him." With that, the Tanuki ran up to Man, nuzzling his legs. "Now...Amaterasu, my daughter, please present your gift."

Amaterasu smiled as she walked towards Leon, slightly bowing. "Leon-san, a strong and courageous Vanguard of Egypt, I present to you something special." she said, holding something that was covered in a cloth. Upon removing the cloth, she showed that it was a mirror. "This...is the Yata no Kagami. It was originally burned, but I took the liberty of cleaning it for this occasion. It reveals the truth within one's self." After she explained this, she handed Leon the mirror.

"Susano'o, you said you were giving gifts as well?" Izanagi asked.

"I did, father. First, Quillan-san. You are a warrior of wind, the Vanguard of Notus." Susano'o said, bowing. "I've called my friends, Fujin and Raijin: the Wind and Lighting Gods of Japan. They will increase your powers..."

Raijin and Fujin walked past Susano'o, as they reached Quillan. They both raised a hand, as energy began to be channeled into the young Vanguard. One was an energy he was familiar with: Fujin's...the Wind. But a new energy was being given to him...it was Raijin's...Lightning. After a few minutes, it was done...and like that, the two Shinto God's left the throne room in an instant.

"Quillan-san...your wind powers have been increased. But, with Raijin's power, you've been granted the powers of electromancy." Susano'o smiled, bowing once more. "Genzai-san...kneel."

Genzai became a bit nervous, but quickly knelt down before Susano'o. "Susano'o-sama?"

"You used my blade, Kusanagi in the fight with the Orochi. Not one Vanguard before nor God has been able to wield my blade as you did today. Because of that..." Susano'o said, as he drew Kusanagi from its sheath. Then, in a shock to everyone, he laid it at the kneeling Genzai. "I am entrusting my legendary blade to you, Vanguard of the Shinto Seas."

The Shinto Vanguard looked at Kusanagi in front of him, as he took it up in his hands, standing back up. "Susano'o-sama...this is a great honor indeed. Thank you." he said, bowing.

Izanagi smiled and then nodded as the gifts were given. "Spearheads...I thank you for your assistance. I pray that your mission against Ragnarok's forces shall continue without fail!" he said, as the Shinto Gods began to exit the throne room.

Genzai smiled as he sheathed Kusanagi, turning to his allies. "I believe its time we headed back." The mission was over, and from it, the Spearheads gained some interesting souvenirs from their trip to Japan.

Quillan made a gagging noise as he watched Nailah and Leon cuddle and whisper to each other. Of course on the inside he was happy for them, but showing such emotions would infringe upon the persona he had fashioned for himself. "They courting?" Man asked, trying to whisper, unfortunately his deep voice could no doubt be heard by most everyone in the room. "Oh yeah, regular rabbits those two." Quillan said, keeping his voice low. Before anything else could be said, the other gods returned to the room. Quillan saw that Susano'o was with them, seeing him walking around made Quillan nervous. They had just had a pretty intense confrontation with the guy, and even though he was being controlled it was kinda unnerving to witness how quick a god could recover. Apparently, Man felt the same way as he raised his lip, uttering a low growl at the Shinto God's appearance. "Down boy." Quillan said, taking a few steps forward to join his fellow Vanguards.

"My actions were not my own, but rather the foul Orochi. In truth, since the events of Ragnarok began, that monster's power began to grow stronger...stronger than my most powerful seal from the sake jar I sealed him in. Weeks continued and power began to leak from it...and once it did, I'm afraid I fell under his control...like a puppet. Please forgive my actions..." "Susano'o-sama...please, don't bow to us. What happened was not your fault." Apparently the other Spearheads were quick to forgive the brainwashed god's actions, and why shouldn't they? It really wasn't his fault. Quillan too let go of the animosity he had for Susano'o, figuring that if the others could get over what happened, then so could he. 

Genzai then approached the large dragon dragon, Ryujin. "They are returned to you, Ryujin-sama." Genzai then presented his patron with two ocean blue gems. The Tide Jewels. Thank you, Genzai-san. Now, from what Izanagi has told me...he and the other Shinto Gods have a series of gifts for you all. At the mention of gifts, Quillan's ears perked up. He had previously been playing with the dust that had been flitting through the air, but his twiddling of air quickly came to an end with the mention of presents. 

"Nailah-chan! To you, we have a piece of bamboo for you." This bamboo happens to be the strongest one in Japan. With this, you should be able to forge a new Was from it." Quillan couldn't help but thing that that was a let down of a gift. A piece of overgrown celery. Of course, Nailah would no doubt be overjoyed with such a present.

"Next, Man-san!" Upon hearing his name, Man stepped forward. Since battle had ended, he had returned to walking on his knuckles, know doubt making quite the peculiar sight. "From what I heard from Ryujin, you are the only Vanguard without a Unit. With this in mind, we've brought you one. This, is a Japanese Tanuki, a raccoon dog. He has no name yet...but he is very loyal. And I know you'll be a great match for him." The small animal raced up to Man, nuzzling his legs. Man was overjoyed with the sight of the strange animal. He immediately brought his face down to the animal and began making noises that sounded like something in between a dog's bark and a rat's squeak. He then turned his head to Izanagi. "Thank you, man God."

Quillan watched Leon received a mirror, which once again seemed to be a bit of a let down. Of course, the other members of the Spearheads had a bit of a deeper appreciation for such things. It was then Quillan's turn to received gift. Preparing for it to be from Izanagi, he was caught off guard to learn that it was Susano'o who was presenting the gift. 

When Fujin touched him, Quillan felt a surge of power that was similar to when Notus had granted him his powers. When Raijin touched him though, it was as if he had been shot full of electricity...but it didn't hurt. He felt the energy coursing through his veins almost as if he had drank a dozen cups of coffees. "Thank you." Quillan said, barely able to mutter the words as he admired the new sense of power he had. He held his hands out before him and as he did so, electricity danced between them. "Bad. Ass."

Leon was about to thank Amaterasu for the beautiful gift, however his initial trivial opinion of the tool would soon change - with a bright, blinding flash, Leon found himself in his regular, normal form, and too his sides roared his units with Majesty, following which they promptly were recalled. Leon was indeed confused by the events that had just transpired. Why did this mirror just dispel his Fusion. Leon looked to Amaterasu confused, before it suddenly hit him blank in the face.

"It reveals the truth within one's self."

The Fusion was dispelled because it revealed Leon's truth. The Fusion form was simply an enchantment. It made Leon think - maybe this Mirror could dispel any magic? However, so far he didn't want to risk this. With a chuckle he looked to the other Spearheads. "It seems that Fusion is no longer permanent. We can use it, and return to normal thanks to this powerful tool." He then bowed by the waist to Amaterasu and nodded. "Thank you very much for this, Goddess Amaterasu. I will ensure this tool is put to the best of use." With this said, Leon would then focus his attention on the congratulations for his fellow Spearheads, for he knew they'd need this pick-me-up for what was to come. With Genzai reminding them, Leon gave a slightly evil smirk: rigorous training season had began.[hr]Upon the arrival to the desert the Spearheads would find themselves in a fairly nice spot. It was gonna be a small privilege since they were exposed to the raw, harsh nature of the merciless desert whom only obeyed the law of one God. Unfortunately for them, Set was among Ragnarok's forces. Fortunately for them, however, Set was not causing much commotion elsewhere, but rather was focussed in a particular spot. Whatever the case, once the tent and camp was set up, as well as training gears, Leon clapped his hands and began to do some coaching.

The first thing to master was Fusion. To do this, a Vanguard must have access to Units and a means to Summon them. As such, it was crucial that Man was taught how to summon his Tanuki to aid him, though it was a simple process. Once this was mastered, Leon informed them of how to use Fusion - by maintaining the summoning medium, such as in Leon's case the pillars of light for his units, and drawing it upon the very Vanguard themselves, they would essentially summon the unit inside the Vanguard and initiate Fusion. It was noteworthy that the Fusion Result's strength was determined based on the base power of each unit, how the units were summoned, how difficult it was to summon them, and in the case of multiple units how difficult it was to merge each summoning medium. However, it was ensured that each Vanguard learned and acquired a Fusion ability. Fortunately, these once thought permanent Fusions were easily dispelled by the Yata no Kagami Mirror.

Once this was complete, individual training had began. Leon himself was already aware of what he had to focus upon - he had practised the use of his magic, Morale Hekus, and transformed them from activation, trigger-able casts into aura effects, triggered through contemplation and maintained through focus. Not only this, but he was indeed lacking in simply martial skills and techniques - as such, Leon had pushed himself to improve his strength and resilience, in order to make himself more battle-sturdy, as well as learned a number of new martial strike techniques and manoeuvres in order to increase his performance in battle.

When scouting his comrades Leon figured out why Quillan was prone to taking a beating in battle - it was not his role to play! Nailing the idea, he then knew that Quillan's combat was best tailored to that of a rogue: high power and speed, to evade and quickly dish out powerful damage. So, through this training program, Quillan would note that his strength and speed, as well as agility would all be bolstered significantly. Not only this, but with the environment available, Quillan had plenty of room and thus was pushed to practise both his wind and electric manipulation abilities. Thus, Quillan had noted an improvement in the nature of all his wind abilities, as well as learned some simple electric techniques with effectiveness on par with a Thunder God Vanguard's.

Whereas Quillan was to avoid damage, Leon found that Man was going to be able to take it. The sheer size of their wild Vanguard promised incredibly damage resistance. Firstly, Man's training went more than swimmingly - they were in the wild and had little to no interruption with his Blessing of the Wild in play. He could push himself incredibly, so Leon had made sure that Man's strength was empowered, but his stamina, and resilience was boosted through the roof. Secondly, Man's Tanuki was also quite pushed and, thus, had learned a number of simple yet effective attacks.

Genzai was without much water, thus all of his abilities were incredibly hindered. This was absolutely intentional. Leon knew that Genzai heavily relied on his abilities when having evaluated him in battle, and would now be pushed to conserve and use less water more efficiently. Genzai thus learned how to use his abilities with much less water available and, thus, reinforced how powerful how much water Genzai had available was effective to his abilities. As Genzai fell into the Jack of all Trades class Leon could not find a particular good spot to focus on, and so simply trained all of Genzai's basic attributes moderately. Of course, the Kusanagi sword replacing his old Kantana would indeed make a fair influence.

Last but not least, Nailah had her bamboo worked over with Ptah and Thoth before the trip to the desert. As such, not only did she have a new, much more durable Was almost as strong as steel due to bamboo's nature, Ptah had ensured it was light, and indeed beautiful, crafted with gorgeous intrinsic designs which were then later enchanted by Thoth, giving the Spearhead Mage access to 10 more Words of Thoth. Besides this, Nailah would be pushed to improve her speed and agility among other things. But most importantly, she would also have her current Words of Thoth's natures and effects improved due to training, as well as learn three brand new ones.

Of course Leon was no damn dictator. All work and no play made a unhappy team. Naturally during free breaks from training Leon would find himself continuing to court Nailah, with gentle teasing and play here and there. Eventually he did manage to talk to her about them, and expressed his interest in becoming a couple as her partner. However, these two did not have all the fun - once Genzai had completed his water-efficiency training the team moved closer to an Oasis in order to enjoy the cool, fresh water. Heck, with some help from Quillan they even exposed some sturdy sandstone from the sand and had some games 'n' such. It was somewhat a vacation.

Quillan was glad to leave Japan. The entire he had been there, not one ninja or samurai challenged him to a battle...and that alone was enough to ruin his opinion of the city. When that was combined with formality that surrounded the Shinto Gods, Japan was definitely on the list not to visit again. Of course, a training trip in the desert was exactly a wish come true either. Quillan and Man had barely arrived back at Olympus before they were notified of the impending trip. Knowing that there wouldn't be much time, Quillan went in search of Sandra. He found the Vanguard of Aphrodite in the armory, getting dressed in her skin tight armor.

"Lookin' hot." Quillan said, flashing her a cocky smile. Sandra looked up, a small smile appearing on her face in seeing Quillan. "Sorry, Q. Don't have time for this right now." "Ah, come on. I know I am going out soon, but it doesn't mean we can't pull a quickie." As Quillan said this, he made it very obvious that he was staring at the girl's large breasts. She laughed, donning her only weapon, a small dagger. "Q, I meant me. I am being called out on a mission." Quillan's face dropped. He often forgot that the other Vanguards had duties as well. "Don't look so sad. I can give you something to think about so that you can...squeeze one out."  Quillan began to blush at the blonde haired warrior's words, after all masturbation was an uncomfortable topic...even for Quillan, but before his cheeks could even turn red Sandra had leaned in, putting her lips to his ear and began whispering a scenario. When she pulled away, leaving him with a parting kiss, Quillan's brain was deprived of some of much needed blood...if you know what I mean. 

Sandra then left the armory, leaving Quillan wishing that they had got back just a little sooner. "I save Japan from a raging monster, and this is what happens." "It's more than some of us get, my friend." Stepping out from a rack of battle axes, a warrior revealed himself to Quillan. The silver helmet gave the warrior away instantly. Perseus, the son of Zeus. "Perseus! I didn't realize  you were there." "Yes, I had gathered that." Perseus said, a soft smile appearing at seeing the young Vanguard's embarrassment. "Anyway, I had better be off...and you too." As he left the armory, another figure entered. It was Man, accompanied by an all too familiar figure. 

"Hey horndog, heard you took quite a beating from Orochi." Atlanta said, poking fun at the Vanguard. Quillan offered the huntress a sneer before turning to Man. "What are you doing with her?" "She said she friend. She wanted know 'bout mission." He said innocently. As he spoke, a brown blur raced around the hulking man's feet and arms, as he was walking on all fours. The blur scampered up his arm, perching on his shoulder. It was the Unit he had received from the Shinto Gods. 

"Anyway, I can't stay long. Seems like everyone is being called out for some mission, seeing as you Spearheads are taking a little vacation in the desert. I just wanted to tell you that your new friend, is so much more friendly than you...and better looking."

"You're one to talk. You know I am sure that when Sandra gets back that she would be happy to give you some beauty tips. I know Medusa would want her title of ugliest of them all back from you."

"Oh yeah...well..." Atlanta stuttered, trying to come up with a comeback. "At least I can do something about that, nothing you can do about size." As she said the last word, she made an obvious gesture to Quillan's crotch with her eyes. She moved her eyes to Man's, back to Quillan's and then left, knowing that she had struck blow that Quillan wouldn't be able to retort. 

"Let's go to the desert." Quillan said to Man, accepting that he had lost to the huntress' underhanded insult. 

"Don't be sad Quillan, Leon help you with size."

"WHAT?!" Quillan asked in astonishment, completely horrified by what Man had said.

"He train you. You get stronger. Stronger means bigger muscles."

Quillan breathed a sigh of relief, thanking the gods that Man really was as naive as he appeared. "Guess you are right buddy. Let's get going."

[hr]

In the desert, Quillan experienced the most grueling training he had ever experienced before. Leon was like a drill sergeant, constantly practicing drills and demanding better results. Quillan had only dared snap back once, which had been met with an extra long training session. Quillan definitely had never hated Leon more...and yet at the same time he had never had more respect for the warrior. His ability to bring out the best in not only himself, but also Nailah, Genzai, and Man was amazing. It had been something that Quillan really could have benefited from having in the Spearheads' trip into the Amazon.

Luckily for the Spearheads, Leon did lay off eventually, allowing for some R&R at a nearby oasis. The group spent a few days relaxing in the spring, going for swim and bathing in the sun. Quillan achieved quite the wicked tan. He even managed to pull a fool practical jokes. While Leon had been sleeping in the desert sand, he had drawn a figure of the male anatomy on his bare chest with sunscreen, resulting on quite the interesting tan. Needless to say, he was quite upset upon awakening. Tanning the rest of the time had diminished the prominent sight, but if one was looking for it, one would find just the slightest outline of Quillan's artwork on Leon's chest.

Genzai too had fallen prey to one of Quillan's joke. Conjuring up a small bottle of itching powder, Genzai's clothes had received a hefty bath in the substance. 

Nailah had remained impervious to Quillan's hijinkery, but Man had not been so lucky. Having enticed a particularly large lizard to take hold of Man's loincloth, and had ran off into the desert with it. At first, Man was not fazed by it and had even gone around nude, but after the others insisted he get another loincloth, Man realized he had been made the butt of Quillan's joke. Which had been met with him coming to an agreement with the surrounding desert animals. 

The next day Quillan had been chased around by cobras, scorpions, and desert lions from dawn till dusk. The rest of the team no doubt found great pleasure in such a sight. 

Nailah stood by as each of them were rewarded for their troubles. For her she was gifted with a piece of bamboo, proven to be durable and the strongest in Japan. With this she would be able to rebuild her Was. With a humble heart she happily accepted the gift. "I can't thank you enough. This gift will surly be a great help to me." She bowed and watched as the others received their gifts, each one seeming to suit their owners greatly. Afterwards the group was soon separated, returning to their respective homes if only for a while. While back home Nailah made use of her gift, asking Ptah to forge her a new Was, which, thanks to the bamboo's properties, was stronger more durable and was flexible allowing it to bend. It was surprisingly light weight as well, almost feeling as though she were holding nothing. A special addition were the beautiful designs Ptah and his vanguard blessed her weapon with, as well as the protective words of her own patron. Surly this Was was much better than her previous. Also, for some odd reason Thoth was highly interested in having given her the third degree on boys and asking all sorts of questions about Leon. If Thoth was being this way, then she new she wouldn't be spared the inquiry from Crystal and Renae. 

Thankfully she was saved of one nightmare, only to be thrown into another; Training with Leon. Having been taken to a particularly nice spot at the desert. Though they were in Set's domain, they were lucky enough he spared this place of his destruction. With the training area being set they unpacked the tent and set up camp. Not one to waste time, Leon jumped straight into it, the first thing on his agenda to teach the remaining Spearheads how to achieve fusion with their vanguards. Upon listening to the explanation, she couldn't help but wonder how her appearance would change. With Baruti being a baboon and Isetnofret being an Isis. It would be a rather interesting sight. Between all of their hard work and the coaching from Leon, eventually everyone of them had managed to accomplish fusion with their units.

Afterwards the individual training began. During her turns she trained hard and was glad to see the fruits of her labor. She was entrusted with 3 more Words of Thoth as well as increasing her max words from ten to twenty words after every ten minutes. This would mean a lot more practice, and being able to handle using so many words since they sapped so much magical she had Baruti there to help her. Though he didn't seem too happy about Nailah being able to use twenty since he felt she didn't know how to use them advantageously. While he wouldn't go against Thoth's plan, he did wonder what the reasoning was. Perhaps there was something he missed. Either way Nailah ended up being put through a lot of training.

Of course you can't be all work and no play. They did have some down time, and during these times she found herself n the receiving end of Leon's advances which she greatly enjoyed. Making her feel more like a woman rather than the warrior she usually had to be. Not only that but they finally talked out just what exactly they were to one another. Thankfully, she was reassured that this wasn't some one-sided affection on her side. Nailah was also witness to the pranks Quillian pulled on the others. From itching powder in Genzai's clothes - quite hilarious - to an very embarrassing tan on Leon's chest. Nailah laughed so hard she though she might actually die from lack of breath. As for Quillian's prank on Man, than ended up with Nailah unable to look Man without her blushing heavily.

Genzai was no stranger to intense training before, as he'd train with all the other Vanguards before, however...he was not expecting what he got from Leon's training regimen.

And boy was he in for a treat.

The desert, Leon's chosen training field...and Genzai's quick becoming enemy. First came the Spearhead's Fusion training, which in itself wasn't difficult at all. Surprisingly, Man was able to achieve his Fusion first, thanks to the Tanuki Izanagi gave him. Pan's Vanguard...his abilities even impress me now than they ever did before. the Shinto Vanguard thought, upon seeing Man's Fusion form. It wasn't long, before he himself got ahold of his Fusion, and after that...the others fell in line with their own Fusions. Quillan with his foggy/ghost-like form, Man with his Animal Mimicry style form, and his own Water Incarnate form...they were truly something to behold. However, the three never laid eyes upon Nailah's Fusion...perhaps it was best that they weren't around to have her reveal it.

The Fusion training finished, but Leon was far from over. He proceeded with individual training, and this proved to Genzai's downfall. Unlike the others, his training was much more severe, as his mettle was put to the test. After switching to Kusanagi as his main, he figured things would go easier...unfortunately, he was wrong on this aspect as well. Leon trained his abilities, to the point of his attributes becoming a bit better than before. The main one worked on: Enhancing Genzai's Water Usage, but because of this, his endurance raised tremendously. This attribute, Leon knew would cause the Shinto Vanguard's attacks to be reinforced with powerful impacts. Training for the enhanced water usage ability was not easy to say the least, as Genzai could barely even use most of the water he had with him.

However, the time slowly passed and he began to master this skill, along with his endurance. During the Vanguard's break, he forced Genzai to be under the tutelage of the Wild Vanguard, Man. Between the two, they began to have training battles, which Man had hoped would bring the Shinto's perception in battle up. Needless to say, it did. Though Genzai could only wish that he would've had the perception stronger to learn of Quillan's prank...on him.

The morning of their relaxing, break...he found his clothes were laced with itching powder...the hard and itchy way. Needless to say, for a few hours, Genzai let loose and tried to get back at Quillan...with help from Tokage of course.

Though, with Man's wonderful ability to talk to the animals...Quillan got his just reward from it: chased by the desert creatures. Serves him right. Genzai smirked, watching Quillan running around the area being chased. Now...if I can only get that image of Man...OUT OF MY HEAD!!! he thought, about to vomit at the thought of Man...well...let's not get into that.

Chapter 8 - The Gates

Leon woke up well rested, and relaxed. Eyes sleepily awakening he glanced over Nailah, bringing a smile to him. She looked quite peaceful and beautiful asleep. With a quiet and gentle chuckle he snuggled back into her form, wrapping his arms under her ample buxom as he awaited her to wake, spooning and enjoying her hair's scent. It was quite funny, actually - despite the intense heats of Egypt, or the harsh environment of a battle-ground, Nailah had a notorious knack to keeping herself smelling of a captivating aroma. It definitely appealed to Leon, whom took his time to appreciate this as he watched her, nuzzling into her and having a deep inhale of her fragrance. It was definitely one of the things that attracted him to her.

When Nailah eventually awoke Leon would chuckle and whisper "Were you holding out on me last time, or did you just miss me?" with a clearly impressed undertone. With a nip of her ear and teasing her form he purred sensually into her ear, eager to keep hold of this intimate moment. Indeed they'd share more intimacy, however after a while they would both be very aware of their duties, and after said while they would both have to claw themselves off of each other and back into their gear. Leon did enjoy watching her dress, and took his time watching her do so, nipping his lip enjoying the sight. "You dress so temptingly, you know? It makes me want to tear them clothes back off of you again." Of course depending on her reaction, said clothes might or might not remain where they were.

This would be the little bit of fun they would be able to have, because a few hours later, a report was announced. It would appear that three developments had taken place. Firstly it was said that Surtr, the ruler of the sons of Muspelheim or rather the fire giants, had arrived and was indeed ready for war. Secondly, Surtr had used his fires to liberate the father of the Frost Giants, Ymir, from his frozen prizon, effectively undoing the great deal of work the Alliance had drove into keeping him at bay moot. Finally, and indeed the most upsetting, the report doctrined how an enormous campaign was marched. Ragnarok had revealed its intentions on how it would balance the inequality in numbers of Gods - they would combine Surtr's mastery of fire, and Ymir's incredible might and cold prowess, to ease their way into, and open the gates, of Tartarus. In doing so, they would free the Titans, and they would more than tip the balance in their favour.

A number of more private reports were also revealed. Among those that a Ragnarok Spy whom had infiltrated the festival had been revealed as Kari Bodolf, whom had also stolen Leon's tactics and attempted to recreate them in his own image. Furthermore, the Gods of the Underworld, save Hel for Ragnarok and Anubis for the Alliance, would all unanimously remain neutral and accept the world's end. Osiris, as one of the few supposed survivors of the war, headed this movement, for with the demon Ammit at his service they were not at threat for an attack. Thus, both Ragnarok and the Alliance would easily find access to the Underworld, but neither would receive preferential treatment there.

We find the Spearheads now stationed at the Alliance's outpost. It was situated close enough to the gates of Tartarus to easily catch any attempts to sneak by, but far away to avoid the unbearable heat the Phlegethon brought forth. They accompanied a Battalion of a number of vastly culturally distinguished soldiers, a grand total of 1000, though indeed dwarfed by the colossal 100,000 that had built up this army for the alliance. Indeed, more armies were stationed elsewhere, for it had seemed that this campaign the two giants were forcing acted as opportunities to take territory on the upperworld for Ragnarok.

Leon quickly discussed the battle plan with the Spearheads. "Each Vanguard is acting as a Squad Leader. You'll each have 10 soldiers following you into battle, along with a mythological unit excluding our own Private Units. Since there's us four, as well as Apollo's, Aphrodite's, Hun-Chowen's, and Rudianos' Vanguard, we've got 77 units to our command. We've been chosen because of our Special Operation reputation. Our mission is simple - we must kill as many Jotunn thrown our way, but our top priority is to kill Ymir or Surtr. Any questions?" He looked to the others with his stern expression, wondering if Quillan would make light of this situation. Though likely it'd be grossly inappropriate, he felt they could use it.

Genzai stood with the rest of the Spearheads, awaiting Leon to explain the plans they were having set in motion. However, Genzai's mind was elsewhere...as he began to think about the events that began to transpire before they arrived at this point.

Surtr had released Ymir...undoing what they had helped prevent many weeks days prior. Now the Fire and Frost Giants were, in a sense, working together to aid the forces of Ragnarok...which were making their way to Tartarus, in order to release the Titans upon the Earth once more.

The Titans...beings that haunted the Grecian people for too long, at least...that's he remembered Quillan telling him a few times. They, in a sense, were first Pantheon of Greek deities...only to be overthrown by the Olympians. If Surtr and Ymir succeeded over releasing the seal, bringing forth the Titans, not only would the world see the return of the Titans of old, but the second generation Titans would follow soon after. The Shinto Vanguard simply shuddered as he thought of the devastation that would in turn bring.

But that was only part of their problem...that night of the festival...Kari Bodolf was revealed as stealing Leon's plans and tactics. Now, Ragnarok would know how they would function...which posed a problem for the Spearheads. However, Genzai knew that Leon would counteract those tactics with newer ones...he was a brilliant fighter like that.

Speaking of the brilliant leader....

"Each Vanguard is acting as a Squad Leader. You'll each have 10 soldiers following you into battle, along with a mythological unit excluding our own Private Units. Since there's us four, as well as Apollo's, Aphrodite's, Hun-Chowen's, and Rudianos' Vanguard, we've got 77 units to our command. We've been chosen because of our Special Operation reputation. Our mission is simple - we must kill as many Jotunn thrown our way, but our top priority is to kill Ymir or Surtr. Any questions?"

Genzai listened in on Leon's words, as he looked at the others around him. Not only these four...but the Vanguards of Apollo, Aphrodite, Hun-Chowen, and Rudianos' Vanguards would join. 77 units, as well as mythological untis...this mission seemed like it was becoming crunch time for the Alliance. As Leon finished briefing the team, everyone stayed silent as the Egyptian Vanguard asked for questions.

"If I may, Leon." Genzai spoke, as he looked at their leader. "The mythological units...are they stronger than our private units and how to we call upon them?"

Man desperately tried to listen as Leon briefed the Spearheads about the upcoming battle, but his primitive mind quickly wandered. Instead of listening to battle tactics his eyes began to study a cockroach-like insect that scuttled along the ground. His eyes watched as the insect's antennae quivered in response to the vibrations brought by the army of the Alliance. Man whispered something to the insect, speaking in a strange dialect that would not have been recognizable by anyone listening in. As the words left his mouth, the cockroach sprinted off, taking refuge a minute underground dwelling. Man gave a sad smile. The battles that would come would no doubt prove difficult for nature and its inhabitants.

"...Our mission is simple - we must kill as many Jotunn thrown our way, but our top priority is to kill Ymir or Surtr. Any questions?" Man's attention returned to the briefing. He had not been part of the original force that had fought to keep Ymir sealed away, and as such would have no idea just exactly what the Spearheads would be facing or what to expect from the 'Jotunn'. He did understand the gravity of the situation, however. In his time with Pan, Man had heard many stories about the supposed 'Golden Age'. It was a horrible time for most of the world. Ruled by the Titans, parents of the Olympians. Despite the Titans' tyranny, it had been a prosperous time for the wild...but that wasn't just cause for the Titans to be allowed to return. 

[hr]

Quillan was uneasy. The Spearheads had once again returned to the Underworld, a place that had drawn out some of the largest weaknesses in Quillan. The memories of his first mission here still sent a chill up his spine. Luckily, his training had seemed to overcome the large obstacle, but the Underworld was still not a place he liked to visit. 

"Each Vanguard is acting as a Squad Leader. You'll each have 10 soldiers following you into battle, along with a mythological unit excluding our own Private Units. Since there's us four, as well as Apollo's, Aphrodite's, Hun-Chowen's, and Rudianos' Vanguard, we've got 77 units to our command. We've been chosen because of our Special Operation reputation."

Quillan was surprised to hear that each of the Vanguards were acting as a leader of a squad. That was testament to the fact that the gods were beginning to have faith in the leadership skills of all the Spearheads, and not just Leon...although it was blatantly obvious that Leon was still the best man for the job. 

"Our mission is simple - we must kill as many Jotunn thrown our way, but our top priority is to kill Ymir or Surtr. Any questions?" Leon gave Quillan a look, almost as if he was expecting some kind of wisecrack from the Grecian Vanguard. In truth, Quillan didn't feel up to the job. It seemed that the gravity of the situation was weighing down his comical attitude. He opened his mouth to offer some sort of light joke, but quickly closed it. Even the joker was at a loss for words.

• 3 weeks later...

When she finally did awaken, Nailah wanted to nothing more than curl back into the warm embrace that surrounded her. She let out a sigh in slight annoyance as she recognized that with the return of the day their duties also returned. Upon hearing his words she turned to give him a tired smile, and a yawn as the grogginess slowly dissipated  The yawn was quickly turned into a girlish giggle since her ear was slightly ticklish. Eventually, the moment came to an end and the two went to dress for the day. She could only chuckle softly feeling Leon's eyes following her movements. It was only a matter of time before he said something, and just as she thought it, it came to pass. Nailah raised a brow, and a slow smirk formed on her lips. "Really now...I don't exactly know what's stopping you." She curled her index finger motioning him closer, the repercussions for which she world deal with later. 

Of course, after whatever happened it was back to work, and work they did. It was apparent that even though the Spearheads were making some amazing steps and accomplishments in their own rights, those on the opposite sides weren't simply sitting idly by. Nailah was actually surprised by the other side's advancement. Not only that but apparently there was a Ragnarok spy during the festival and had managed to steal Leon's plans. While Nailah was more that confident in Leon's and the spearhead's ability to overcome the obstacle, it was still a setback they they couldn't afford to happen again. It was clear that for a while they would all be very busy. 

Presently, the Spearheads were already on the field ready for their next orders, along with the Battalion of 1000 soldiers that they marched with. Leon was quick to explain the plan. Each Vanguard would be acting as Squad Leader, with 10 soldiers following them and a mythological unit not including our own. The mission; Kill any Jotunn that are in the way, but the main priority is to kill either Ymir or Surtr. Upon asking if there were any questions Genzai asked how strong the mythological units were compared to their own, and how to call them. "Other than Genzai's question, I'm fine with starting any time."

"If I may, Leon. The mythological units...are they stronger than our private units and how to we call upon them?"

This was the only posed question, by Genzai nonetheless. Quillan seemed lost for words, in Leon's eyes, while Nailah simply was in agreement with Genzai's question. Man himself was waiting for his task, as were the remaining Vanguard under Leon's brief command. Thus Leon responded by saying that "The mythological units will respond to your voice. As we have been commissioned with Centaurs, they are powerful archer units. Use them as you see fit." He then took his gaze to over the entirety of the 77 soldiers, and the leading Vanguards. "We will be serving upon the right gank! For now, we march to our designated post. Follow my mark, we will destroy the enemy."

The events following were quite simple: the Vanguards of the right gank made their march ahead. They were to be posted within a small valley between two plateaus, a brilliant vantage point for them to later come down and rush the enemy Jotunn from behind. The plan was quite simple: they would wait patiently for the army of Jotunn to march on ahead, to meet the main force of the army stationed in front of the bastion guarding the fiery river to Tartarus. As soon as this was done, a simple gank and attack from behind would rush the enemies, giving them the benefit of surprise. Indeed a powerful ally, Leon was stout on this plan working - this new scheme, of course, having been devised in short coming, due to the thief stealing the initial battle plan.

Leon was restless, mounted upon Shar and stroking her feathery head while impatiently waiting for the Jotunn to march. However, they would not wait for too long - a loud horn was blown, and a large roar was barked throughout Erebus. The thundering stomps of the Jotunn forces had began, and indeed, leading the march was none other than the colossal, titanic, giant monstrocity that was Ymir. The frost giant was no smaller than 100 metres in height. The average Jotunn was 15 metres tall, and Surtr was at 30 metres at the most - one could simply tremble in how gigantic Ymir was. Leon himself was somewhat petrified, but he lifted his hand up, ready to signal the march in due time. Those close enough could see his hand tremble.

Eventually, the Jotunn had engaged with the main force of the Alliance's armies, but it was evident the Alliance was losing. The Jotunn were just far too strong, and vast in number. Leon roared out "Warriors! Are you ready!?" gauging for his allies. Once they would give the word, their gank would begin.

"The mythological units will respond to your voice. As we have been commissioned with Centaurs, they are powerful archer units. Use them as you see fit."

That answered Genzai's question. At the response of our voices. Well then, this will truly help in our efforts. he thought, as he nodded to Leon.

"We will be serving upon the right gank! For now, we march to our designated post. Follow my mark, we will destroy the enemy."

[hr]

Genzai, along with the other 77 Vanguards stood, watching the events unfold from where they stood. From Genzai's point of view, all of this...his hand gripped the hilt of the sheathed Kusanagi. He couldn't tell what this feeling was...fear? Or perhaps...excitement? Either way, Genzai's heart began to pound within his chest. He slowly removed his hand from the hilt, as he placed it on his chest. Breathe, Hatsune...do not psyche yourself out for this. You and your allies have trained for this...your ready. he thought, as his breathing slowed down, and his heart beat relaxed. The Shinto Vanguard glanced to his left, seeing Man there.

Pan's Vanguard stood there, his arms crossed...not even seeming over-excited about this battle. "Allies together...work together." Man said in a gruff tone. "We win fight, no doubt in Man's mind."

Man's words impressed Genzai. A great confidence from him, it even gave the Shinto Vanguard confidence himself.

"Warriors! Are you ready!?"

Genzai looked at Leon and nodded. "Leon, may you give your Patron god honor in this battle." he said, in his way of saying he was ready.

"Ready!"

Nailah was pleasantly surprised at how easily they would be able to call upon the mythical units, as she thought that the process would be more difficult. As they stood in wait for their next move, the horn of the enemy sounded and the thunderous sound of Jotunn's forces on the march were heard. Leading the soldiers was none other than Ymir, an intimidating sight for even the bravest warrior. She closed her eyes as a sense of uneasiness washed over her. No, it was much more than that. It was fear. What if everything that they have done in preparation was for nothing. Against such a titan, how were they supposed to win. They had all trained for a fight of this scale, but if their best wasn't good enough...They could all die. Never before had she felt as unsure in her own abilities as she were now. If something were to go wrong, and her friends became casualties it would devastate her. War was really a terrifying thing, and she didn't have a choice. The family she didn't remember, her family now, her friends and Leon were all depending on the out come of this war to be in their favor. Nailah couldn't let them down.

Nailah heard Genzai say he was ready to march on and meet Jotunn's army. She opened her eyes, and muttered a soft Egyptian prayer. "Alright...Ready."

Quillan, still unnerved by the whole nature of the underworld, was driven speechless from Ymir's titanic, colossal size. He simply had to nod to answer Leon's question. In truth, he could get out no more words. He felt trapped by it all, everything was far too uncomfortably close for his liking. The air was dead and not easy for his use, so how could he really fight? As all the other Vanguards gave to Leon their valiant pleas, he took a deep breath, and shut his eyes. A moment of contemplation, he thought 'Seems like the odds are against me a whole lot...at least Atalanta isn't here to piss me off.' With this, he readied himself for the gank.

Leon, hearing all of their words, had his extended hand ball into a stern fist, save one, hard, erect finger standing strong, clearly to call the ride of their march. With everything silent for a moment, he began to say "For the Alliance!" however, he was promptly cut off by an arrow, striking hard and fast into a centaur's neck, killing the unit in an instant. This naturally lead to Leon looking to the fallen man, baffled, shocked, stunned, terrified. With riders around him looking towards the source of the arrow, Leon's eyes locked with rage as his gaze fell upon a Vanguard, wedged between two rogue centaur, one of which was responsible for the slaying of Leon's unit - Kari Bodolf.

Loki's own Vanguard gleered down to Leon, yielding two near perfect copies of his weapons, a bodysuit in similar design, and a very smug expression. He then promptly gloated "Lower your archers, or none shall be left alive." On that cue, hundreds of spectral wolves loomed over the hills in which the gank was stationed at, ready to pounce. Not only this, but a number of Ragnarok's soldiers reinforced the hounds. Leon growled as he, and the soldiers, turned to face Kari, whom continued to press his buttons. "This was so evidently your tactic, Leon. Really, you don't realize I plan ahead, do you?" Leon winced at those words, Quillan looking to their leader for some words or orders.

"What do you want, Vanguard of Loki?" Leon asked, more so demanded of the devil before them. "What do I want? Hmm..." Kari tickled his chin as he pretended to contemplate, though the intent was evident. "Why, prisoners of war, esteemed Vanguard of Anhur. That is exactly what I want." Kari then nodded slowly, his wolves rushing down towards them. Leon assured his men to be steady. "He will not kill us. We're too valuable to him now. Dismount your rides, and all Vanguards return your units now."

Kari smirked. "Now...not to be rude, but...I only need the Vanguards alive, so..." A sadistic spark in his eye, he ordered his wolves to attack, and massacre everything that was not a Vanguard, all the while laughing as he watched from above. Quillan, logically, attempted to fend off the wolves, clearly the training of high damage doing something, but alas the pack of spectral wolves was far too great for any resistance the Vanguards attempted to uphold. Soon, in a mere matter of minutes, there would be no-one but the 13 Vanguards standing in a pile of corpses, of which Leon stood defeated, and shaken to the very bone.

Kari took this opportunity to leave a final gash in Leon's pride. "To think that, you have failed not only your deceased comrades, but your fellow Vanguards. Not just them, but Ymir won't be stopped now. That bastion will collapse, and all of those inside will die - all of this blood, all on your hands, Leon."

Luckily, when Leon said to return their Units, Genzai and Man were already doing it, as Tokage, Zeri, Kame, and Pup disappeared from the battlefield. His unsheathed Kusanagi helped with dispelling a few of the spectral wolves that rushed at him, but nonetheless...the 13 Vanguards stood there in a pile of corpses, with Kari: Loki's Vanguard the victor.

"To think that, you have failed not only your deceased comrades, but your fellow Vanguards. Not just them, but Ymir won't be stopped now. That bastion will collapse, and all of those inside will die - all of this blood, all on your hands, Leon."

Genzai heard this, as he placed a hand on Leon's back, which made the Vanguard of Anhur glance back. "Do not listen to Loki's Vanguard, Leon. Even though this is your tactic...I know within your mind, you have a way to counteract it."  he said softly. He then called out from the group. "Norse Vanguard! You assume that we have lost...and you assume that Ymir will not be stopped...however, you forget so quickly of WHO it is your dealing with."

The Shinto Vanguard smirked, as he saw that he got Kari's attention, as his glare was shot straight at Genzai. "Within these ranks...lies the warriors who have defeated Ao Kuang...Susano'o-sama...and the Yamata-No-Orochi! If you believe that even for a moment, that you have won...then, Vanguard of the Trickster, you are gravely mistaken." he said in a confident tone, his hand resting on Kusanagi's hilt in case, should an altercation proceed from him making this statement.

Just as they were going to advance they were attacked by Kari Boldof, the vanguard of Loki, and it was clear he meant nothing but business. Sparing a few taunting words for Leon, he and his hoard of Spectral wolves made quick work of their comrades save for the 13 vanguards. During this fight, Nailah did all she could to save as many people as she could, but it all happened so quickly that she almost felt tongue tied. She looked at her fallen comrades, saddened and shaking, but only those close enough to her could tell. How could something like this happen so fast? They hardly had the chance to do anything, and it was already falling a part.

"To think that, you have failed not only your deceased comrades, but your fellow Vanguards. Not just them, but Ymir won't be stopped now. That bastion will collapse, and all of those inside will die - all of this blood, all on your hands, Leon."

Genzai, was the one to speak up still having faith that they could over come this challenge as well. He may be right. They had gone though a lot together, and even separately and no matter how strong the opponent if they worked together then it usually worked out. Nailah truly wanted to believe that, but at the moment she couldn't find it in herself to break from the fear that gripped her like a vice. She was already unsure in the beginning, but seeing how quickly it all turned to ash and knowing that Kari was one step a head of them forced her fear to be projected outward. It had been a long while since she had been genuinely afraid. What were they going to do now?

Kari smirked as he gazed over to Genzai, raising a brow before asking "Surely you jest?" It was with this instant appeared another Kari Bodolf, whom had just dispersed himself from invisibility, grappling and holding his spears to the throat of Sandra, Vanguard of Aphrodite. To this Quillan's eyes bolted with concern from the fallen allies to his fling. Grinding his teeth he barked out "Don't you dare lay a finger on her, you bastard!", scowling the Vanguard of Loki with scorn.

"I am merely proving a point." Kari snickered, gradually pressing the spear's tip further into Sandra's throat. "Ryujin's little plaything, you're simply stupid. Right now you are defeated, and there is nothing you can do about it. I create false images of myself to do my bidding, and much more. For all you know, you might have another of my minions with a blade to your neck. If not, you can see right now too many arrows ready to pierce your flesh. Of course even I know that all of you here would never..." Breaking up his speech, he squeezed Sandra's arm firmly, causing her to groan in pain. "...ever...would allow a hostage to come to harm now, would you?"

Leon then roared "Enough, Kari!" Leering at the mastermind, he despawned his spear and looked down in humiliation. "You win. Take us prisoner if you so damn please, or slay us right now - but none of your torture, none of this wicked mistreatment." Leon sighed when saying this, these words of defeat stinging his throat so much that it ached him. "Hand back Sandra. You have no reason to keep her-"

"Oh, but I do." Kari upon the hill spoke, the clone holding Sandra hostage then eyeing Quillan. "This girl here is key to breaking Notus' project. I'll be keeping her for myself while the rest of you rot in cells - otherwise you would have no reason to do what I say now, wouldn't you?" Both Leon and Quillan gave Kari a leer filled with hatred, particularly different reasons. A centaur then ordered the captives: "Throw down your arms, and surrender yourselves."

What more could Leon do than simply say "Do as they say Vanguards. We will be rescued." before falling to his knees, arms behind his back, head lowered with shame as soldiers of Ragnarok began to shackle him and, soon, the others?

Genzai was at a loss for words, as he watched Sandra get attacked first by Loki's Vanguard. He fell silent as he stood there, unsure if it was just because of him, Quillan lost Sandra like this. However, the next few sentences caught Genzai off guard.

"Throw down your arms, and surrender yourselves."

"Do as they say Vanguards. We will be rescued."

Man upset at hearing this, but dropped his weapons as soon as he saw Quillan drop his. "No like this. Have no choice...sucks."

TTGL OST ~ Rap Was a Man's Soul...Right?

The Shinto Vanguard was impressed Man even said the last part, but at moment, he couldn't believe this was happening. Nevertheless, Genzai put Mizu Kiba and Kusanagi onto the ground, as he to slowly went on his knees, his hands behind his head. "Kari, if it was to prove a point...you had no reason to hide behind Sandra to do this. Next time...you prove something to me up front...without hiding behind your copies." he said, as he once again fell silent, as he glanced over at Quillan, who was at the point of being livid...and Leon...was he going to be alright?

Things only got worse for the Spearheads as Kari proved that at this moment he had them completely out smarted. Suddenly another Kari appeared, holding a blade to another fellow vanguard's throat. It was Sandra. That seemed to have gotten Quillian quite angry. Seeing this also got Nailah slightly angry as well, and her fear from earlier was quickly being warped into anger due to Kari's actions. He killed her allies and was even taking Sandra as a hostage to force their surrender. Either that or die. Kari also pointed out that there could be more of his self-copies standing by them with a knife to their throats. She glanced at Leon, and he was ready to give in, in order to save Sandra.

'Should I chance it...?' Nailah was thankful that her initial apprehension about the entire mission was starting o wane, as well as her anger. She needed to keep a calm head, especially when up against Kari Bodlof; Loki's vanguard. No doubt Loki would have made sure to train his vanguard, if not personally then have no one but the best train him. During their own training, Nailah felt the need to let the others know what her Words were so maybe they could take advantage of them even quicker which would be useful now. 'But what if Kari kills Sandra or the rest of us before I could use it. My words have great power but they cant resurrect.'

Kari called for them to drop their weapons. 'If only I removed my mask earlier...Maybe I can be quick enough.' At the moment both Kari were looking at Leon, so if she were quick enough she might pull it off, but if she took too long he may suspect something. So she tossed her weapon away, and with her other hand quickly ripped her mask off; which probably pulled attention. "Kari, Ren-neyna." 

Nailah hoped that she would have said the words quick enough, before Kari had a chance to stop her. If she did, then Quillian or one of the others could save Sandra, as well as attack or retreat for the moment.

Nailah's plan, in fact, worked much better than she predicted. Upon the use of her words, every trace of Kari had vanished from the environment. Through her magic, she had uncovered the fact that Kari was never there in the first place. The original Kari who had taunted Leon, too, had disappeared - it was evident now that Kari had used these illusions from afar, in a remote location. As such, not only was Sandra released from Kari's grasp, but all of the reinforcements that Kari supposedly mustered vanished, in an instance. The sound of the magic was unbearable, and threw Kari off of his concentration - this left the Vanguards standing still, with no threats surrounding them.

With Sandra dropping to her knees in shock and worry, Quillan cried out her name and rushed over to her, catching and holding her close as he stroked her arm, clearly overjoyed that she was safe. Sandra even fell unconscious from the stress of the situation, to which followed by Quillan carrying her in his arms. With that he looked to Nailah and gave her a gracious thanks; the remaining of the Vanguard, too, followed with this effort - she had essentially saved the Vanguards. While unfortunate that the other soldiers did fall prey to Kari, that was not to take away from Nailah's victory here, today. Leon looked to Nailah with a smile. "You certainly do learn new tricks, huh. Thank you, so much Nailah. You've saved our skin."

Unfortunately the celebrations had to be cut short - a large roar by none other than Ymir indicated that the bastion was under attack. With this Leon looked to the rest before summoning his mount again. "We have to double time right back to the fortress. They may have a head start, but we can still deal a lot of damage to them. The Jotunn are tough, and at this point killing Ymir or Surtr is impossible due to time available - however, we can force them into a retreat. Vanguards! Protect the world from a tyranny in the next life! We march!!"

With this, Leon hoped to rekindle the sparks inside the remaining 13. Riding upon his unit, he began to make haste straight for the fortress. In a few moments, they would see the enemy before them: the enormous citadel was under siege, with Ymir crushing down walls, and Surtr's sword melting the very stone structures. The lesser Jotunn engaged with the armies of the Alliance. As such Leon frowned, looking to the others. "Vanguards, fuse now and attack!"

Upon those words, Leon dismounted Shar and returned her to a pillar of light - in doing so, he also brought down Martyxawar's summoning pillar, and worked upon, gradually obtaining them to bask him in the unified light - of course in doing so, this triggered his fusion; he managed to take flight, and in doing so took to showering rays of light upon Jotunns, attempting to scorn them from behind.

Quillan had a much more ambitious goal - he found himself binding with Vex and Archimedes, and in doing so became absorbed into his dark fog. He also took flight, the lower half of his body becoming a cyclone, as he made his way straight for Surtr - a better choice than Ymir who's skin was extremely dense - as he began to start doing his speciality. Through the use of his shurikens, charged with electricity, he aided the guards of the fortresses yield up against the Fire Giant. He was slowing Surtr down, and doing a damn good job of it.

Nailah...thank the gods for her. However, now a fire was lit in Genzai's calm spirit...Kari had duped them...and made them hesitate. Not only that, Sandra was being held hostage in the process as well. A trick...he brings Loki much joy in that. But...he will not be allowed to keep the charade up like that no longer! he thought, as he grabbed his weapons again, same with Man.

"We have to double time right back to the fortress. They may have a head start, but we can still deal a lot of damage to them. The Jotunn are tough, and at this point killing Ymir or Surtr is impossible due to time available - however, we can force them into a retreat. Vanguards! Protect the world from a tyranny in the next life! We march!!"

With a nod, Genzai called forth once more Tokage. "Man, climb aboard!" he said, helping Pan's Vanguard up onto the Dragon Whelp's back.

[hr]

They arrived near the citadel, and the sight was unbearable. The citadel being almost torn apart by Ymir and Surtr, preparing to bring it down to is knees, so to speak. However the Vanguards had no time to head straight for the two...as the lesser Jotunn began to advance upon the 13 Vanguards...and the order they awaited for arrived.

"Vanguards, fuse now and attack!"

"This Man's stop!" Man smiled, as he dove off of Tokage, with Pup on his back. Man initiated the Fusion, as his skin began to sprout the same fur as Pup's, a Tanuki tail appearing as well. "Gift of the Wild - Desert Tortoise!" Pan's Vanguard's skin began to covered in hard plates, as he finally crashed into the ground, knocking a few Jotunn down in the process.

"I'm ready Genzai-san!" Tokage said, as he flew upward, allowing Genzai to casually fall off, watching him fly straight at him.

At the sound of two snaps of his fingers, Genzai called forth Zeri and Kame, who were falling beside him. "Three merge with one...to bring forth a power that has been bestowed to the one by his patron god!" he said, as his Units began to shine brightly, becoming three bubbles, which now surrounded Genzai. They slowly enveloped him...but once it was done, the Shinto Vanguard came out changed.

Water Incarnate...this is what Leon had mentioned it was before...but nonetheless, the Jotunn had no idea what would come from Genzai's fused form.

Prepare...to be swallowed by the sea! Genzai said, as his Water Incarnate form began to shift its shape...creating a ceiling high creature (more specific: a turtle/jellyfish/dragon hybrid). A loud roar came from Genzai's hybrid creature form, as he began to tear through the Jotunn like they were nothing. Leon! Leave the Jotunn to us! Aid Quillan in his assault!!

To say Nailah was surprised was an understatement. Though she had prayed that her plan would work, she wasn't expecting it to work as well as it had. While not at all displeased with how things turned out it took Leon's words of praise to jolt her from her temporary state of surprise. She noticed the others, who were still alive look to her as well in thanks and Nailah only nodded. "Don't mention it. I only wish I could have saved the others who fell before us.” They couldnt' stay idle for long as Ymir's roar tore through the atmosphere. The ambush had failed, but Leon rallied the remaining vanguards to fight in hopes of drawing a retreat from Ymir's forces. 

The marched, and before long they spotted Ymir, and Surtr attacking the fortress. It was then Leon called for the vanguards to fuse. Nailah nodded and summoned her two unite; Baruti and Isetnofret. "It's show time."

"Right, let's do this." Isetnofret squawked, stretching out her wings. Nailah reached her hands and gently touched Isetnofret's beak and Baruti's forehead. "حرر(Hara-ra)" The two units gave a golden glow then exploded into numerous ancient hieroglyphs. They swirled around Nailah, as the symbols laid across her skin only to be absorbed by her. In a final golden light, Nailah was in her fusion form. Her long, once white hair had faded into a rose pink in homage to Isetnofret's bold red wings. The fur that now covered most of her body was the same color as Baruti's fur. Even her clothes changed(as seen in the picture) to allow for more dynamic movements on her part. Let's not forget the pride of all apes; the tail, wrapped securely around her waist.

The vanguards split into different tasks with Man, Genzai and Leon attacking the Jotunn forces. Quillian, however went after Surtr. Genzai yelled at Leon to assist Quillian. Which meant Ymir was fair game. "I'll start over here!" She yelled making her way to the large giant. When she did, using her feet she was able to grip onto the giant's body and run up his leg and back. When she got to the head, she flipped over into his line of view, "Lama'ah." Without her Was she instead spat three yellow heat balls into Ymir's face, if not stunning him for a brief second at least getting his attention. Effortlessly landing on the ground she muttered, "Khafa." Green, energy projection of fists appeared, each fist about the size of two average sized people it they were two stand atop on another. Let's get the show on the road.

Gazing from above, Leon smirked - Genzai's much more heightened control over water was astounding. A very good training strategy, by forcing him to work well with less water, he worked even greater when given even more. Though unavoidably he was sweeping a number of alliance troops with him, the lesser Jotunn were indeed suffering the high degree of crowd control Genzai was forcing upon them. Leon chuckled; many of them had to stop their assault to keep their balance, while some simply tripped and were swept into the fortress by Genzai's waves. Though, indeed, not the most damaging technique, it would prove to be the greatest in terms of actually forcing a retreat. However, Genzai would also have to note that his attacks, while incredibly effective, would cause his death - should he even touch Ymir, he would freeze over.

Meanwhile, we find Nailah tackling the Father of all Frost Giants, Ymir. A very ambitious goal indeed. While Ymir could not even feel her running around him, for the icy body of the titanic monster was far too thick, when he saw her he roared and scowled. The fire balls were not strong enough to leave a mark on Ymir, for his power greatly outclassed those of Gods, however the effects of fusion were prominent. Nailah had momentarily blinded the frost giant, leading him to bark out in rage. Soon he regained his sight, and spotted her with her large fists. He was clearly not impressed. With a deep breath, Ymir exhaled frosty wind down to the floor. Bearing in mind that this spot was close to a river of fire, the sheer fact that the ground the winds hit froze instantaneously indicated that this was a fatal attack Nailah would have to dodge.

Leon had to focus his efforts. He turned his attention to Surtr, whom was dealing with Quillan. Leon was very content with the once rough-edged, now refined assailant dealing out power blows. A number of his electrical bolts were shocking Surtr, even if in the slightest, allowing the citadel guards to open up an attack; however the Fire Giant bellowed a powerful bark as he began to move and grasp the hilt of the most feared weapon Ragnarok would offer: the flaming sword of Surtr, the blade that would, eventually, bring forth the fires that would burn the world to a crisp. Seeing this, Leon knew it was time to attack.

As such, the Vanguard spawned forth a powerful beam of light, and with a powerful throw, launched the javelin straight for the Jotunn's eyes. The solar explosion easily blinded the giant, even if for a brief moment. With this done Leon ordered "Quillan, penetrate his flesh, attack his neck!" With this, Leon himself lunged down from the skies, with his heavy fused spear equipped, ready to dive into the Jotunn's throat; Quillan noted the target, and leapt airborne in order to use a powerful air slash straight across the neck of Surtr. Unfortunately the pain caused the giant to flail, which ended up striking Leon hard, having him swat away unconscious as he fell down from the skies to the dusty grounds of Erebus: this fall would be fatal if he was not salvaged.

Archived