Using your created cards at real life tournaments (note: I said "at" not "in")

I Hate Snatch Steal

I've been taking  my created cards to locals for over 2 years now, so I thought that I'd share my wisdom on how to get people to play against them.

First: Make sure your cards are realistic. This includes wordings that sound like they were written by konami, and most importantly card balance.

*Should use choose to do cards that would fall under this site's pop culture section, that's fine. Just make sure that they are balanced and such.

Second: Follow your favorite "how to print your cards tutorial". such as this one: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/290448-how-to-print-and-use-the-cards-you-create-in-real-life/ so that your cards are in sleeves such that they aren't identifiable from a real card when they are face-down.

Third: Take your created card deck to a nearby locals. You want to show up at the time where people are normally waiting for the tournament to start, rather then once it has already started. When and how long that is varies from shop to shop. If you are unsure, ask the shop owner how early people start to gather. If you do not wish to enter the tournament, rest assured that in most shops that I have visited, a tournament entry fee is not required to interact with patrons before the tournament starts.

Fourth: Ask someone if they want to duel and inform them before starting that you will be using proxies (proxies usually means fake representations of real cards) and also say that they are printed out or that they'll know what they do (Saying that the proxies are printed out allays fears that you've just written the card's name on a piece of paper thus they won't know what it does). You usually don't want to tell them that you've created the cards yourself before they start the duel since that approach ends in skepticism and refusal every time I've tried it. You don't have to lie to them: tell them the truth once the duel is over instead of before it starts so that they get a chance to judge your new cards. Some people will figure it out anyway. After the duel ask them for feedback and take it if its reasonable and appears to come from a reasonable person (not someone who just wishes you ill).

Caveats:

- Having balanced cards is VERY IMPORTANT. No one likes losing a one sided game and the cards you use are your reputation as a cardmaker.

- Not everyone will like the idea that your creating cards. If someone is refusing to face your deck or downright being rude about the idea, ignore them and try talking to someone else.

- That said, some people will really like what your doing. I have a regular opponent at 1 of the shops that I visit who after facing my decks many times, made a created Orhcahcos deck to face me with of his own accord.

Any questions?

• 9 months later...

Archived