High Roller Contest #1

Kyng's Old Account

HighRollerContestSeries_zps7cd7a4a0.png

Welcome to the High Roller Contest Series: a new series of Custom Card Competitions driven to increase the quality and fun that comes with card making. There's a particular reason, of course, why this series is dubbed as it is. If you want to take part here, then you're going to have to fork up serious dough. That's right, this series will expect high fees, and dish out a very high reward.

High Roller Rules and Regulations:

In order to participate in these contests you must be a member of the Cardmaker's Cabal, this contest series' associate club, as well as must be able to pay an entry fee of 1000 points. This will contribute to a Jackpot, which will be split 50%/30%/20% to 1st/2nd/3rd respectively. Additionally, based on the Leaderboard below, you may also win other awards. Deadlines for Cards will always be 3 days from when the Contest has started. Judging will occur on the 4th day, leaving the 5th for announcing the results.

High Rollers on the Leaderboard:

Therrion - 2000 Points

A I X - 1200 Points

This Contest's Rules:

tba.

This Contest's Contestants:

A I X
Therrion

This Contest's Jackpot has been won!

I would say 1000 is too high and you will have very few contestants. For example, I would be happy to fork over 1000, if I actually had that.

The idea behind this, friend, is that the stakes are meant to be high, specifically because points do not have much value on YCM. Bigger exchanges makes Shop Purchases easier, hence a demand for this.

If you cannot afford it, you simply cannot be a High Roller, can you?

My card:

300px-SixthSense-LCJW-EN-C-1E.png

jk

Here:

Deus Ex Lightning

[Quick-Play Spell]

When your opponent activates a card effect: Pay 700 Life Points and target 1 card on the field; toss a coin, if Heads, destroy that target, otherwise, return this card to your hand instead of sending it to the Graveyard. If your opponent has 2000 or more Life Points than you, you don't have to pay Life Points to activate this card. If you have less than 1000 Life Points, cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card.

The Jackpot has been spilt! Therrion walks off in 1st Place, with 2000 Smackeroons to mark his 1st Place on the Leaderboard, while A I X dines on 1200 Points, holding a coveted Runner-Up spot on the Leaderboard. The 800 Left Over will be held for the next contest's pot.

Therrion's "Devil's Gambit" was indeed the superior card here. Not only does it serve a powerful role as a Battle Phase threat, it also goes to offer a powerful secondary effect. Though personally, the card would be more balanced without the draw, it still takes 1st Place nonetheless.

A I X's "Deus Ex Lighting" is a flavourful card, and on face value it certainly looks quite fantastic. It was a difficulty deciding between the two, however this card does pose some significant looping potential with cards such as Spell Absorption or abusive combinations with cards like the Tower of Babel. Otherwise I am certain this card would have taken 1st place.

Next Contest will be launched in a day from now. I hope to see more rollers in the pit then!

I will say stuff on part of my card. Thanks for the first contest, by the way.

Gambit - (in chess) an opening in which a player makes a sacrifice, typically of a pawn, for the sake of some compensating advantage.

That was namely my inspiration. Sacrifice for compensating advantage. Now, I didn't want to make a plus, but that 0 is a pretty good trade off, even if a 0 in overall card advantage, and thus compensates for the risk. It is worthy to try, and not TOO harmful if you fail. The "Devil's" in the name gives reason for why this gambit does what it does. The word in and of itself invokes feelings of sin, what the devil is usually related to. Greed and wrath, adding to your fortunes and death.

That is my primary aimed response at the no mentioning of flavor, since I feel it had some if not a decent amount.

Anywho, carry on :P

• 4 weeks later...

Archived