[Finished]Normal November Contest (Finished)

wightpower

[spoiler='I think I tried good enough to resist making this into Noble Knight Gawayn, despite still doing just that.']

WpIMvax.jpg

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) in Defense Position if you control a LIGHT Normal Monster. and if you do, this monster is treated as a non-Tuner monster. When this card is Special Summoned by this effect: You can target 1 Normal Monster on your side of the field; increase the Level of that monster by 1. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT Normal Monster from your Deck to your hand.  This monster cannot be used as a Synchro or Xyz Material Monster for the Summon of a non-LIGHT monster unless the other Material Monsters are Normal Monsters.

[/spoiler]

It has the same picture because neither JazinKay nor HPDoom had a picture of a similar-looking girl (or at least one that I found adequate), and I'm too lazy and naive to go look elsewhere. Anyway, this is supposed to resemble Nyssantha going up the ranks (even more), and as such, becoming much more focused around the Attribute of LIGHT, lest she be seen as corrupt for dealing with other Attributes, though she can work with non-LIGHT stuff too. My original plan with a "retrained Nyssantha" was to essentially make her Level 4 to have her go into Level 7 Synchros with the original Nyssantha, but the inability to change her Level blocked my way.

[spoiler=Alright, here goes... something]
BCW0fD5.jpg

If this face-down card is attacked, and is still on the field after damage calculation: Destroy the attacking monster, then switch this card to face-up Attack Position, and if you do, this card's ATK and DEF become the ATK and DEF of the destroyed monster. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, except for the Summon of a Synchro Monster: Draw 1 card.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Finally had time to work on it]

Cf01pWS.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
This card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. This card gains 150 ATK for every Beast-Type, Beast Warrior-Type, and Winged Beast-Type monster on the field, except this card. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 monster you control; that target can declare an attack. If the attacker does, then it cannot declare an attack during your next Battle Phase.
[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, sorry it took this long. I think something was wrong with the site for the last few days, but I'll type my judgements of your cards, and the prize winners, in order of when you gave me your cards for part 2. First, an honorable mention to foreteller, who never got back to me with his retrained card.

SunKistRebelution: This was a nice upgrade to your first monster, but I felt like it became a little too powerful, despite its summoning and effect restriction. The ability to automatically double your battle damage seems like too good an advantage, but maybe I'm just overreacting.

Someone: Another good upgrade from your previous card, but another one that I felt might be overpowered. Even with the restrictions on the monsters involved in all of the summoning, the earlier effects allow you to continuously cycle WATER monsters and this card between the field, hand, and graveyard for an obnoxious field advantage. This thing is deadly for Synchro and Xyz summoning since you can bring vast numbers of monsters to the field with almost any level you need at the time. It's a great upgrade from the normal version, but I feel like it just might be too much of a game changer. I definitely think it would at least be limited.

Amaterasu: I felt like this one had a more balanced effect, with penalties that made up for being a mobile "Shield and Sword". I especially liked (whether or not you intended it) that the switch effect is compulsory, and might not automatically benefit you depending on your timing. Great use of the normal monster's original stats for the new effect. I liked this one a lot. Winner2nd Place

Renko Usami: I actually felt like this one was the opposite of earlier retrains, that maybe the effect was counterproductive. I like the limit it places on the player, though, and the ability to banish it makes for a bit of a fun timing puzzle to summon other monsters only while it's banished. I like it. Winner: 4th Place

1-Star Hotel: I really liked this one. Very good Normal support and Synchro/Xyz support. The attribute limitation made it a lot more palatable to me, and I think you pulled off the retrain very well. Winner: 1st Place

Samhain: I was happy to see you retrain this one with a fun gimmick. It's a cool idea, but also a tactic with enough risk in it to not be totally broken. Very well done. Winner: 3rd Place

Nathaniel D. Striker: Come on, man. I said you couldn't make Xyz monsters. Anyway, I'm not in the mood to disqualify people, so you're still in. I'm sure you could turn it to a regular effect monster if you wanted to, so I'll judge it as it is. 150 ATK gains always seem weird to me, and I think you could probably get away with the full 200 boost if you wanted, without breaking the card at all. I have to admit, I'm really confused by its detachment effect. It seems either like an awkward punishment for the player, a typo, or I'm just missing something.

That's about it, then. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all of your for competing! I'll try to be more punctual for the next contest I run, but I hope you guys had fun.

Archived