[Finished]Normal November Contest (Finished)

wightpower

Sorry to start this a few days late, but we still have most of November left to work with. I was toying with ideas for some sort of Thanksgiving contest, but I eventually went with this idea. Your goal is to make a Normal Monster, which will be rated by theme, name, balance of level and stats, image, etc. Simple, easy, no effect. I don't see enough normal monsters, good or bad, on this site, and I can't think of any that I've ever seen here that wasn't a part of a custom archetype. This is part 1 one of the contest. I will not talk about Part 2 until midway through the month, but I'm sure some of you will already be able to figure out what's coming. For the time being, focus on making an interesting monster without an effect. Here are some more guidelines for part 1:

Part 1 ends on November 11th. Part 2 begins on the 12th and will end on the 30th, but that's all you need to know.

• I'm looking for realistic cards, so no joke cards or pop culture cards.

• Only make 1 monster. However, if you come up with a different idea before the 11th and want to make that instead, you can freely switch or substitute your entry until the end of Part 1.

• You must make a Normal Monster. You know, the beige-background cards I never see anyone use anymore. Non-Effect monsters don't count, so I don't want to see any Fusion, Xyz, Ritual, or Synchro monsters, even if they don't have effects. You are also not aloud to make Toon, Union, Gemini, or Spirit Monsters because those all require effects and orange backgrounds. The only exception to this are Tuners. You can make your Normal Monster a Tuner as long as it has a beige background and no effect (like Flamvell Guard or Galaxy Serpent).

The entry fee is 20 points. This is 10 points for Part 1 and 10 for Part 2. If for whatever reason you drop out of Part 1 before the 11th, I'll give you a full refund. If you make it to Part 2 and then drop out, I'll only refund you 10 points for the second half you're missing out on.

• The pot starts at 40 points. 1st Place will get 50% of the pot. 2nd Place will get 24% of the pot. 3rd Place will get 12% of the pot. 4th place gets 2% of the pot. Why a 4th place? I have no idea. I'm just having some fun.

• I'm not going to hold it against you, but try to credit artists for the image you use, unless you made it yourself.

• Even Normal Monsters need to be balanced. Make sure the star level matches the stats. Do not make any Normal Monsters with a star level over 8. 9's fine I guess, but don't push it. Without an effect or negative cost to make it more complex, I'm wary of any of you making a 12-star monster with 5000 ATK and DEF that only requires 2 tributes to summon. Balance, guys. Balance. Remember that the strongest Normal Monster in the game is still the Blue-Eyes White Dragon, so don't go too far beyond its stats.

• There is no prize for Part 1 on its own, but I'll still remark on your cards and tell you how I feel about them. Part 2 will be the deciding factor of the contest, after which I'll make my final judgements and award the winners.

That's it, I guess. Can't wait to see how you guys handle Normal Monsters. Part 2 should make this more interesting, but we'll worry about that when we get to it.

Current Pot: 320 points

Horray, story-making time!

[spoiler='I made a good lore, yes?']

ahAVAkU.jpg

Slain at a young age as an innocent victim of a terrible war, Nyssantha's exceptional strategies and leadership were discovered and employed by the Archlords to combat anyone who dare oppose them, including rival fairies. Her brilliant ploys have been the bane of countless foes of the Archlords. Currently, she is planning on leading forces into the lands of darkness in an effort to end the prolonged war that had brought upon her unfortunate demise.

I found the picture on JazinKay, but I don't really know anything else about the origin of the card's art.

[/spoiler]

Ain and Hotel: Welcome!

Striker: Either way is fine. I'd prefer it posted here because part 2 might necessitate other entrants being able to see the card.

Hotel: Awesome! Love the image, the name is great, and the lore is very well-written. Great mention of the Archlords and celestial war. We're off to a great start. My only concern is the ATK. Someone else might need to chime in, but is 1800 too high for a 3-star? Even with such low DEF. Either way, I love the card.

[spoiler=Elephanoku the Unforgiving]

602TCMF.jpg

Fierce and unforgiving. This great elephant warrior comes from the innermost section of the rain forest. Seeking vengeance for all the crimes humanity has committed against his home, he fights against their tyranny with a sword made from the bones of his fallen enemies.

[/spoiler]

Striker: Samurai Elephant? **** Yeah! This is turning out well. I don't think 500 is quite high enough to unbalance his ATK, so it should be fine the way it is. Plus, the stats seem perfect for a vengeful elephant-man with an unholy bone katana. Metal.

Samhain: Welcome to the contest. I already like your card. Always had a fondness for slime monsters in fantasy, and I'm surprised that the real game has never had more of them, since there have always been so many of them in the anime at various times. Really like the image, though you might be able to take "liquid" out of its name. It feels kind of unnecessary. Not a big deal, though. Everything else is great.

Ain: Awesome image! Is that Marisa? Excellent poem for the description, too. Ever since I saw Noble Knight Artorigus, I always thought it'd be cool to see more poems and such in Normal Monster descriptions. Great card.

I hope I get some more entrants soon. As it stands, each of the four of you will be getting at least a few points back. As a month-long contest, I'd like to see more card makers involved. In any case, these are all great so far.

oh this's the interesting contest, yea long time no see normal monster on this site. Points sent

[spoiler="my card"]

bkYT7gl.jpg

An almighty ruler who conquers the legendary ocean. A myth says its fury can cause a heavy rainstorm and its breath causes a violent whirlpool. Nothing can withstand its devastating power while it's dwelling in its territory.

im not so good at english so i can make it only this T^T however i will try my best > <

[/spoiler]

SunKist: Thank you for joining! The card is great! Good lore, good name, good image, good stats. Very well done.

Incarnate: Thanks for joining! The lore you've given is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with your grammar. The stats are good and the name and image are fine. I feel like I've seen that sea serpent before, though... Is this from Duel Masters? It looks so familiar.

I will join and100 ponits to cover everything else in the contest.

[spoiler=My Card]

xhqiVTT.jpg

"This celebrated unicorn is an influential locomotive of annihilation. Practically unconquerable, a handful have faced this overwhelming creature and lived to tell the tale."

[/spoiler]

The Y.C.M Card maker made unnecessary spaces for some reeason.

Amaterasu: Thank you for the big donation. It'll certainly give this contest some more weight. That's weird about the spaces. In any case, you've made a great card.

forteller: Awesome image, and I like the lore. Hopefully this won't be the last Normal Monster you make.

Alright, there's only about half a day left for entrants into part 1. You've all made some great Normal Monsters, so Part 2 is looking to be a fun one. At some point today, the second part of the contest will begin.

Well, that's that. Part 1 is over, and our current entrants are: Nathanael D. Striker, Ain the Infinite, 1-Star Hotel, Samhain, SunKistRebelution, Someone_Incarnate, Amaterasu, and foreteller.

We are now staring Part 2. This will be more complicated. You have from now until November 30th to Retrain the Normal Monster you made into an Effect Monster. Your new monster:

• must have the same stats, type, level, and attribute as the original Normal Monster you made.

• Their name and image should be similar to the original. You are not aloud to use the exact same name, but you may use the same image if you want. That's not a big deal for me.

• You are not aloud to turn them into an Xyz, Ritual, Effect, or Fusion monster. They must be some form of Effect Monster. If your Normal Monster was a Tuner, you do not have to make the new Effect Monster a Tuner as well. You are aloud to retrain it into a Gemini, Tuner, Union, Spirit, or Toon monster if you want. Either way, they must have an effect.

• You will be graded on both your Normal and Effect monsters, but because all of your Normal Monsters were great, there's nothing to worry about. You are not aloud to change your original Normal Monster. You must use it for your retrained card as it was.

• Remember to balance your cards. Each of your Normal Monsters had good stats for their levels, so you might have to work around some disadvantages in their effects for the sake of balance.

I guess that's about it. The prizes are still the same as before. The pot is still 320 points. If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck, and I can't wait to see how you retrain your monsters.

[spoiler: Here's my card sending points soon]

rPrX8dN.jpg

[spoiler: Lore]

A warrior who long ago pledged his eternal allegiance to his liege in exchange for otherworldly power. His body is cursed to walk the earth, fulfilling the will of his master.

[/spoiler]

art by Jason Engle

[/spoiler]

Okay so here comes the next iteration:

[spoiler: Round 2]

ZeukDN7.jpg

[spoiler: Lore]

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You may Special Summon this card (from your hand) by Tributing 1 Warrior-type Normal Monster you control. If you Tributed "Accursed Arm of the Dominus," this card gains the following effect: *any battle damage inflicted by this card is doubled.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Here's my card for second part']

aXPEOrw.jpg

While you control a WATER monster: You can banish 2 WATER monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. You can send "Umi" you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon as many Level 7 or lower WATER monsters as possible from your hand or Graveyard and send the same number of cards on the field to the Graveyard. Monsters Special Summoned by this effect cannot attack or activate their effects. Destroy them during the End Phase. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

[/spoiler]

I will join and100 ponits to cover everything else in the contest.

[spoiler=My Card]

xhqiVTT.jpg

"This celebrated unicorn is an influential locomotive of annihilation. Practically unconquerable, a handful have faced this overwhelming creature and lived to tell the tale."

[/spoiler]

The Y.C.M Card maker made unnecessary spaces for some reeason.

I'll level with you guys: If all 8 of you submit your retrained monsters before the 30th, I'll end the contest prematurely and begin my judgement then and there.

Okay, then.

[spoiler=Carnage-Eyes Ebony, Monokeros! Come forth!]L0gfMti.jpg[/spoiler]

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Orange-Eyes Black Unicorn" from your Deck. There can only be 1 "Carnage-Eyes Ebony, Monokeros" monster on the field. Other monsters you control cannot declare an attack. During either players turn, Switch the ATK and DEF of all monsters on the field, until the end of your next turn.

Here it is. And BTW, I'm Ain the Infinite.

[spoiler='Card']9160Qdi.jpg

You cannot summon another monster as long as this card remains face-up on your side of the field. Once per turn, when this card destroys a monster by battle, banish it and another monster from your graveyard, then if this card is the only monster you control, destroy 1 card on the field. When this card would be destroyed by battle or by a card effect, you can discard 1 card from your hand to banish this card instead until the next Standby Phase.[/spoiler]

Archived