Anime and Sometimes Manga Club

Nicο

First impressions for spring 2014 (figured I'd do something like this too)

Note: This season is absolutely fantastic for me, which is why I'm following 20 series. I never thought I'd watch this much anime at once.

Akuma no Riddle: At first, I was skeptical to watch this kind of series, but Dangan Ronpa got me hooked on the suspense, mystery and surprises. First episode left clear how the characters are, and their personalities have potential to shape up the history in a good way. I also like smart, quiet, swift protagonists.

Chances of dropping: low

Black Bullet: Sweet plot. I think we've had too many animes that have some sort of apocalyptic alien invasion, but at least most of them are executed differently. This show is also unique on that regard. But, obviously, the fact that little girls have the power to fight against evil is a big selling point to me. The main characters have a goofy, funny side too, which I like.

Blade and Soul: An anime based of a korean MMORPG could be great or a disaster, and I think that, at least for now, Blade and Soul is falling in the "great" side. The protagonist's dark backstory allied to her quiet, sometimes uninterested personality is bound to give us a good deleopment. But as everyone's been saying, the death of the antagonist so early is kind of a bummer, but I believe new antagonists will appear.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou: In my opinion, this is the show with the best individual characters this season. Everyone is amazing, from the grandmother to the drunk, failing-at-love woman. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a pure romance anime like Golden Time, since this has potential for many funny moments.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Legion Mate-hen: Kai is the protagonist. Enough said.

Dragon Ball Kai (2014): Remake of the saga after Cell. But it's Dragon Ball, so it's automatically awesome for me. Only thing that really bugs me is the voices of the cast, since I'm used to the Brazilian dub (which was pretty good).

Fairy Tail Season Two: This is the show that got me hooked on anime this much. Before Fairy Tail, I only watched very few animes on a whim. Basically I'm watching this to see, in HD and colors, what I've already seen in the manga, since it follows the story to a T (except when we get fillers).

Gokukoku no Brynhildr: Kuroneko is so kawaii >w< Ekhm. The plot promises to be good, and I like the smart type of protagonist, but since I didn't read the manga I don't know what to expect.

Chances of dropping: medium

Haikyuu!: So upbeat. So well done. The protagonist is really awesome. And it's about one of my favorite sports. When I finished the first episode I felt like I couldn't wait for the second. Also, by how it was portrayed, the rivalry between the "King of the Court" and the small but determined Sho-chan will be a really good part of the series.

Chances of dropping: very low

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara: This has immense potential, but sadly the animation style isn't to my liking. But I guess I can make a sacrifice for the sake of this promising plot, and because I like some of the characters.

Chances of dropping: medium

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler: By its synopsis and name, I didn't have much hope for this show. Until I watched it. As a guy who really liked Highschool DxD, I was really happy to see a similar anime back. By the way, Hi-ERO particles is the absolutely best name ever given to a protagonist's power. Ever.

Chances of dropping: very low

Mahou Shoujo Taisen: First episode was really weak and only 4 minutes long. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I don't think this'll be good enough, even if it's a Magical Girl anime.

Chances of dropping: high

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: I was really impressed with the quality of the animations during the first fight, and to be honest I'm a fan of incest (nobody can deny that this is an incest anime). This has potential to be in my top 5 this season.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san: Golden comedy. Golden setting. Really good protagonist. At first I wasn't so sure I wanted to watch an anime that depicted the like of a Mangaka, but I was impressed. Only problem is that the episodes are 12 minutes only.

Seikoku no Dragonar: A hot-headed protagonist makes for a lot of potentially good plot developments. But the first episode doesn't allow a lot of judgment, so I'll give it a couple more episodes. It's looking good for now.

Selector Infected WIXOSS: This is actually pretty good. Not only is the protagonist a real cutie, but she's also my type. Although, they should have explained the game's rules better in the first episode.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V: I gotta say, this is looking much better than Zexal. Yuya's voice bugs me to no end, but I guess I can get used to it, as he's a very good protagonist. But he might be slightly overpowered, since he already basically did whatever the hell he wanted with the cards in his hand as a "plot device". Still, very nice show, has potential.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Akuma no Riddle: At first, I was skeptical to watch this kind of series, but Dangan Ronpa got me hooked on the suspense, mystery and surprises. First episode left clear how the characters are, and their personalities have potential to shape up the history in a good way. I also like smart, quiet, swift protagonists.

I've been reading the manga and wasn't interested enough to go for the anime, but I hear it really doesn't have much out yet, and the anime will definitely have a little expanding to do itself, but it might just be better because of it. This puts me far too on the fence about it though, so as I'm not wanting to go for so much this season, I'm seeing how others feel about the whole thing first.

Ah yes, Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V: I've gotta say, I just don't think it can be argued that the start is better than Zexal's by miles, if anything, but that's probably the biggest thing, and I can say it only needs to keep it up for a good chunk of the time for me to be sure liking it better (personally, Zexal II is my least favorite, yes, the second season, so I don't really have much doubts they can do better). I really have no problem with any of the voices. In fact, I think they're all pretty great so far. Yuya's has done Hakuryuu from Magi, which I think I similar enough that maybe I'm just already used to it. He's a great protagonist too. Personally, Yuma's only just a little too stupid sometimes, but overall fine, but I find Yuya may have just graced us with his presence. Chances of dropping: low

so like

i want to join this club

so

yeah

Neph

Favorite Anime: Does favorite imply one

Favorite Manga: dun read manga

Favorite Character: Accelerator probably from To Aru series.

Anything else worth mentioning?: Oranges taste good

Accepted. Oh and try to behave because Desu or something but he'll probs still find you annoying but I'm accepting you anyway.

Favorite Manga: dun read manga

Favorite Character: Accelerator probably from To Aru series.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/to-aru-kagaku-no-accelerator-r10196

oh yay

Thanks Nags ^^

I'll edit my thoughts on here when I'm done reading.

Oh yay

Well actually it's pretty short as of yet so I can't tell where it's going, but Accelerator is the protag and it's got another cute girl so yay.

Hitsugi no Chaika: YAY ADORABLE POWERFUL LOLIS. The three MCs are very nice characters. I like the animation in this show, it's well done, evne though you can see there's a budget limitation going on there. First episode ends with a cliffhanger, and I don't like cliffhangers, but I guess they're necessary anyways.

No Game No Life: I did not like SAO and I skipped Log Horizon because of that, but this seemed different, and I don't regret trying it. It's been a while since the protag already started off badass and witty. I like this change of pace. It has enormous potential and I would be lying if I didn't relate a little with the story.

I did not like SAO and I skipped Log Horizon because of that, but this seemed different, and I don't regret trying it.

Y'know Log Horizon is massively different than SAO, right? It's not a straight up shounen and delves much further into the world building, political and economical aspects of the game because the protagonist is not someone who can and will just solo most of the whole thing, and is clever enough and is also a class that would have him be more of the strategist. Not nearly as much action, but not to say it isn't pretty good when it happens. There are also more little girls and girls that are little that kick some monster butt. I just think that people who are not trying it because they think it's just going to be another SAO are missing out on the point of it being just so far from that, but if this description sounds even worse to you, then that's fine as well. 

I skipped Log Horizon just because it was similar to SAO in the sense that it was an anime showing a game. I never took my time to give it a try or even read the synopsis. I actually regret skipping it now, since everyone says it's pretty good.

I skipped Log Horizon just because it was similar to SAO in the sense that it was an anime showing a game. I never took my time to give it a try or even read the synopsis. I actually regret skipping it now, since everyone says it's pretty good.

If you ask me, it's not too impressive. I never saw SAO and never cared to, so I guess that's why I could only give it the benefit of the doubt before dropping it after Episode 5. I just found it kinda boring for what it was.

Adding on to my list of followed anime:

I ended up dropping Majin Bone on the second episode. It was actually painful, I was so bored of it.

Recently added Chaika Coffin Princess, No Game No Life, and If Her Flag Breaks to my CR queue. Kinda enjoying them all, but they are all on a Medium drop chance like most of them.

That being said, I just finished the 9 episodes of Jojo before Stardust Crusaders. I thought Kill la Kill was made of testosterone, but this IS testosterone. Pretty much everything about it is... and Dio is my new favorite villain in anime, second being Broly (who Dio looks like, btw.)

But I don't really get why you mentioned either of them really at that point cause everyone I've heard seems to be comparing No Game No Life to Mondaiji. Considering that is also taking people to a world of games that is not video games or solely a video game, I understand the comparison a lot more though only by seeing a Chess piece in the visuals of NGNL, so I should probably try that out sometime too. If you haven't either, Mondaiji is made of Izayoi and as such, win.

I'm relatively new to anime, I've only been watching consistently since 2012, so I missed out on many good shows.

Ah, but then we have something in common... granted, I was probably watching more shows at that point and have since been wanting to start mellowing out, that's still around the same time as I've starting watching consistently. 

Ah, but then we have something in common... granted, I was probably watching more shows at that point and have since been wanting to start mellowing out, that's still around the same time as I've starting watching consistently. 

Ah, nice. Well, you probably took a look at my anime list, but my backlog is so big yet.

I pretty much dropped Log Horizon at episode 17. I like the strategy of fights, world building, politics, yadda yadda. Problem is though that the characters are just so incredibly boring. Although I sort of liked the younger sis. Plus, it looked very visually dull. What a serious let down from Maoyuu Maou Yuusha which is an anime I hold in such high regard. I honestly might give it another go though and I have been meaning to since I still really like the stuff that isn't just the characters.

I know it's late in multiple ways but I'm finally getting around to posting my own thoughts on some anime of the new season. Also, I'm liking the system set up here.

Kawai Complex: Got bored of it right away. You lied to me, Rodrigo. You...lied....if I hear this picks up I might actually check it out again.

Drop chance: Pretty much happened already.

Irregular at Magic Highschool- Aesthetically only a bit above average and shines more when it comes to effects or really anything with faster movement such as combat. The magic system already seems pretty awesome and has supposedly not even been fleshed out that much yet. Yet I don't like it. The main's emotionless (that's supposedly the point and sh*t happened but I rather see deterioration of character rather than say this and that and a bit of such happened over time and now he's cardboard; Reactions>Exposition) and "badassery" so forced (it's literally like some male fantasy), any bits of humor fail, character design is very dull, segregation of students based on their ability to use practical spells just bores me when it's obvious they're all still better than the egotistical snobs that are supposedly super strong because reasons, and god damn incest but maybe not but still stupid. And the sheer amount of female characters and an incest thing makes me think this is going to be a harem.

Drop chance: High. It's high. It's really high. Seriously, I complained about episode 2 constantly while watching it. In caps. And yes, WITH THE SHIFT KEY

Chaika-Coffin Princess: Yes, an anime with a brother and sister bond that doesn't seem in the slightest bit incestuous. Seriously, I don't see this enough. It's really nice. Especially with how dumb of vibes I'm getting from IAMH. I'm really liking the three main characters and the plot seems to have some interesting things going on despite only being one episode in. The aesthetic was indeed sort of nice despite animation really being of a basic level.

Drop chance: Low.

Majin Bone: I noticed Thar made a thread so I checked it out. Some kids anime. I sort of like the style which saddens me a bit that I have a thing for bright colors and it's made for kids but whatever, I don't need your sh*t. Yeah, it was pretty dull though except the transformation scene in the OP looked rad because he's actually putting on the armor plus when the kid gets his powers because THAT DRAGON JUST COMES OUT OF NOWHERE AND EATS HIM WHOLE! YEEEEEAHHHHH!!!!! *GUITAR RIFF SPONSORED BY THE SHIFT KEY*

Drop Chance: Dropped.

Black Bullet: Can't say I dig the whole horney as f*ck loli thing. Because I really don't. And then also making her really smart in that one scene...there really aren't many actually well written little girl characters in anime. They're pretty much there for that sort of market too...*Sighs.* What a dumb character...*Looks into my wallet.* Not like you, Nanako.......*Cough cough.* Well the setting and backstory of everything was really interesting so it has that going for it despite it not actually being that well developed. HOW IS SOCIETY OKAY IN THIS STATE?! *Slaps self.* Action was okay. A real fight could be cool to watch.

Drop chance: Medium. If this is a medium think about how much I must be disliking Irregular at Magic High School.

No Game No Life: Yes, another anime with a brother-sister relationship that...anime, I don't want to see an 11 year old's panties...god dammit, you just started too...Well despite that I really liked the first episode. This is how a badass is done. TAKE NOTES, IAMHS! The characters were pretty awesome and lore of the world really cool. Thinking about it now this sort of reminds me of Dog Days and Yu-Gi-Oh Zero. Or at least I hope it reminds me A LOT of Yu-Gi-Oh Zero. I want to see some interesting games spring up.

Drop Chance: Low.

Blade and Soul: I only bothered to check it out because of MMO hype. It's as boring as I thought it'd be.

Drop chance: Gonna grow up funny.

The Comic Artist and His Assistants: It's pretty funny. Not the most funny but funny. *Thumbs up.*

Drop Chance: Low.

Captain Earth: That first episode was sort of rad. Animation looks good and I'm interested in what the f*ck is going on. Also, this main I'm liking. The second episode a bit less so but I'm still invested here. Yes, I am getting lazier with these.

Drop Chance: Low

Majin Bone: I noticed Thar made a thread so I checked it out.

I realized why nobody replied: Cause it was utter sh*t. Like... absolutely NOTHING happened during the second episode, at least nothing I was interested in.

Display Name/nickname you want: Syo Kurusu

Favorite Anime: Uta no Prince sama (in my weeabo days)

Favorite Manga: Yotsuba (in my weeabo days)

Favorite Character: Hiroomi Nase

Anything else worth mentioning?: I'm a noob singer, utau user, and voice actor lol

Accepted.

So I feel like I have this really odd fascination with Dita from Chobits. Odd because I'm only really intrigued due to thinking she was a guy, but that I'm actually very interested in her for no reason...

I haven't seen Chobits. From what I understand it starts out fairly Magical Girlfriend genre and that's dumb but turns out to have some really deep stuff towards the end. Would you say I should check it out?

So I think I'm gonna drop Black Bullet and Irregular at Magic High School. Irregular's characters are all just so incredibly dull. The main who's literally missing any interesting emotions isn't even the least boring. As for Black Bullet...it's just not utilizing any of its concepts well. I really hate to think I could think of such an easy improvement like making the main guy an adult. Adds a few more years which would do wonders for the poorly developed setting. Get some older children for some points of interest (like a cure perhaps in a girl that grew up past what is typical for her kind) and make the connection between the two mains more father and daughter rather than that...mess. What does him even being a teen do for anything other than to attempt to relate to the audience?

I haven't seen Chobits. From what I understand it starts out fairly Magical Girlfriend genre and that's dumb but turns out to have some really deep stuff towards the end. Would you say I should check it out?

I can't say I know anything about the anime because I found it too dull when I watched it. While I have it on my list at 1 episode, I saw closer to the whole second episode and about the whole too dull thing, around now I realized that's mostly because I can't find animation from around 2002 any more than too dated for me anymore. 

The manga is okay. I like it because it is some kinda deep stuff and due to Clamp's character designs seeming less weird in manga, and the few secondary characters that generally gave me more feels than the mains, but I haven't gotten to the really endy-end stuff yet so idk. I'd still say it's easy to say you'd probably pass on it given the typical ecchi situations. Some of which even happen at the most random of inappropriate times so meh. It's like... I can appreciate quite a bit of the other things it does but just no.

Display Name/nickname you want: Agro
Link to anime/manga list: I should really make one of these.
Favorite Anime: Shin Sekai Yori
Favorite Manga: Haikyuu!!
Favorite Character: Tsukishima Kei
Anything else worth mentioning?: I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the provided information.

Archived