Mythological Creatures [Finished]

First time making a contest. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Rules and Requirements:

• ALL YCM RULES APPLY
  • Create a monster based on a mythological creature.
  • If it is a ritual monster, create it's ritual spell also.
  • Your card can be a single card or used to support an existing archetype.
  • You must also say which creature your monster is based on.
  • When you are ready to make your FINAL submission, PM the card and the creature to me. Do not post it in the thread. If other judges sign up, I will also send it to them.
Entry Fee: 5 points

Entry Deadline: April 20th, 2014

Submission Deadline: May 9th, 2014

Current Pot: 2015 points

Payout:
First Place: 50% of pot
Second Place: 30% of pot
Third Place: the rest of the pot

Judges would be appreciated and may use their own scoring guidelines.

My Scoring System:
OCG _/10
Balance _/10
Creativity _/10 (How original the card's name and effect(s) are)
Other _/10 (Anything that doesn't apply to other categories, i.e. how well the card is related to the Mythological Creature it's based on)

Contestants (names in bold have paid fee and submitted cards):
  • Aix the Wise Wolf
  • Shooting Stardust
  • nacho1818
  • TEM 23
  • jharper96
  • Prime-Ace John
  • -Aqua-
  • wightpower
  • Teddiursa™
Judges:
  • netman089
  • Doc Stein
  • Striker

Final Results
  • Prime-Ace John 81/90
  • wightpower 76/90
  • TEM 23 65/90
  • -Aqua- 63/90
  • ShootingStardust 43/90

Teddiursa and jharper96: As soon as you donate your points, you can be a contestant. I'll put your name on the list in the meanwhile.

jharper96: Go to "Shop" (link in upper-right corner of webpage) -> Quick Donate button on the left -> Enter netman089 as recipient and amount

EDIT: jharper96 and nacho1818 I have received your points, so you're now officially contestants.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

jharper did not get a score since the actual cards never got to me. Next time, don't use attachments. Anyways, here's the scores for the remaining cards.

[spoiler=ShootingStardust]

Card Grammar: 8/10

Balance: 4/10

Playability: 0/10

Creativity: 5/10

Other: 6/10

Overall: 25/50

Honestly, this card would never be used. All it does is increase the ATK of Fairy-Type monsters or act as a healer. As a 3 Material Rank 5, those effects aren't worth the effort. With that said, this card is extremely underpowered given the effort required. Your card grammar is off with the union text. You could have done a lot more with the theme you were going for, so I'm not impressed.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=wightpower]

Card Grammar: 9/10

Balance: 8/10

Playability: 7/10

Creativity: 8/10

Other: 8/10

Overall: 40/50

This card does make you think about what's in your opponent's Graveyard. With that said, I see this card being used more in the early game than anything else. Also, the low ATK does make me worry a bit tbh. The second effect wouldn't be used as it is essentially a -1 to avoid a direct attack: a -1 that wouldn't be much used being banished. Overall, it's alright but there are things to work on.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=TEM 23]

Balance: 7/10

Playability: 6/10

Creativity: 8/10

Other: 9/10

Overall: 39/50

Powerful effect, yet the Summoning requirements kill it a bit. Winged Beasts aren't very prevalent in the current meta, and the Decks that are wouldn't really welcome a card like this. The fact that it requires it to destroy a monster by battle is risky given the number of Traps around that deals with battle. Also, the lack of protection makes it susceptible to removal. It's okay, though you did miss somethings.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Prime-Ace John]

Card Grammar: 8/10

Balance: 8/10

Playability: 9/10

Creativity: 10/10

Other: 10/10

Overall: 45/50

Wow. I did not see this coming from you at all. The flavor is beautiful and the amount of effort put into the creative aspect is astounding. The card grammar could use some work, but I understand what you are going for. Giving this card an alternative Summoning requirement does open up more use for this. The other effects cooperate with what the other monsters have done, so it doesn't try to do everything by itself. Well done, very good job.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=-Aqua-]

Balance: 7/10

Playability: 5/10

Creativity: 6/10

Other: 7/10

Overall: 34/50

The first effect is just another MST that can only be used on your turn. The other effect just lets it attack with less worries, though it doesn't prevent Spells/Traps from getting to it. In fact, the first effect encourages blind MST play and that should not be allowed. Honestly, I was expecting more from you.

[/spoiler]

Archived