I'm Sakura, leader of the former Club Espeon and creator of the SCS and YCM Render Gallery. AMA.

How do you usually design a CC?

Like, the creative process behind your cards.

I'll be honest.

It's usually random stuff, such as more Ice Barrier, Elemental HERO, Dragon and w/e.

As for designing effects and stuff, I try to make something that the (arche)Type doesn't already have, though it might be repeated. Considering that I don't play competitively (either on DN or real life), my stuff may not reference what the meta is doing (tbh, I really don't care for it). Of course, I'd like to make certain cards but b/c of the fact "that their Levels allow abuse with Dragon Rulers, lead to Dracossack/Big Eye" stuff, et al, I have to refrain from it.

That being said, I suppose I do my homework and read up on the new cards. (Lately, cards coming out of me have effects to deal with 101 and some other targeting effects b/c it's the thing lately)

Pop Culture-wise (and it's pretty much Pokemon), it's based on their skills in-game. I have a sort of Level system with them.

• Stage 1 - Level 2-3
  • Stage 2 (or if it doesn't have an evo) - Level 4-5
  • Stage 3 - Level 6-7
  • Minor legendaries (580) - Level 7
  • Legendaries (600) - Level 8 (though I did design a Level 7 Latias in the past, so this isn't a strict scale)
  • Version mascots (680) - Level 10

In terms of Mega Evos, I'd like to make them as Xyz (in the same vein as Rank-Ups) but how I'm going to code that will be difficult. I already made the Mega Stone card as RUM - Mega Force (yeah, blatant rip off of Barian's Force). Otherwise, I'll just make the Stone as some Level 1 Tuner and turn Megas into Synchros, which probably fits better.

Any tips for hosting a Card Contest?

- Make sure you're known relatively well.

- Don't ask for a big entry fee if you don't have a corresponding prize. On that note, make sure you don't keep more than 5-10% of the prize pot. If you decide to make it a free contest like what I did, and give rep prizes and/or GFX logos, then great.

- Choose a theme people like.

- Have some people help you with the judging; it balances out the score cards to some degree. Also MENTION what you're grading on (OCG, effect, balance, pic, w/e); I think a lot of you have seen your share of contests hosted when there is no set scale for judging.

- Have the basic stuff: theme/requirements, deadline, prizes (see  #3), set rules, judging criteria (see above).

- When asked WHY did a card win over the rest, don't throw a fit and absolutely DO NOT say "oh, you made me feel bad by asking so I'm voting for this card". In one of the last contests I entered, the host decided to vote for a Fake Type card over all other entries which used realistic Types. I asked him why he graded that way, and this was his response. (I had this brought up with Zextra immediately after)

Wow, that took a while (and a lot of text)

Archived