Zero to Hero Archetype renewal [FINISHED]

razzy

With the release of Primal Origin it gave us some new hope for some older (almost outdated) Archetypes. Such as Gusto, Madolches, and Glad Beast. What I'm wanting in this contest is something similar.

Take an old (or newish) Archetype and give it life! Basically make the card a stable for the deck without making it broken.

Pot size: 303

Special Thanks to Aqua Hina for the special contribution! 

Entry Fee:

0 Stars - 1 Pts

1 Stars - 3

2 Stars - 5 Pts

3 Stars - 7 Pts

4 Stars - 10 Pts

5 Stars - 15 Pts

Donations are accepted and appreciated :)

Grading Scales:

Balance: 30

OCG/Spelling: 20

Creativity: 20

Theme: 20 

Picture: 10

Due date: May 30

Prizes:

1st - 45%

2nd - 30%

3rd - 15%

4th/5th - 5%

Completed Entries:

Gadjiltron

magemeek22

Aqua Hina

sharpretina24

banddude

TEM 23

TFMegamanlan

Feartheghost

Aez

Therrion

If I've missed anyone please PM me ASAP!

Judges

* Josholche (myself)

* Seattleite

-Currently looking for 2 others (MAYBE 3) PM if interested (at least 3 star rank). 

I think that's all for now. Good luck and have fun :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just get this out of the way then.

[spoiler Card]mgkKsK2.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler Lore]All "Iron Chain" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. When an "Iron Chain" monster you control inflicts damage to your opponent: Send the top card of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard, also your opponent randomly sends 1 card from their hand to the Graveyard. When an "Iron Chain" monster you control is destroyed by battle: Send cards from the top of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard equal to half the destroyed monster's Level (rounded up).[/spoiler]

It's a sheer pity that Iron Chain is an underdeveloped archetype. They give milling an aggressive spin... but with 5 monsters at their disposal it's a bit difficult, especially when 3 of them are weaksauce. Also, their S/T support is pitiful, and their focus is slightly scattered, with the archetype being confused over whether it wants to mill, burn, or beat.

How to address this situation? Why not unite all 3 parts under one card?

The first part is simple, giving all Iron Chain monsters a Coil-esque boost. Repairman becomes an acceptable 1900 ATK, and Dragon kicks ass with 2800 ATK. Coil can block more hits with 1900 DEF while boosting up other monsters, allowing them to stay longer on the field without being stomped in battle that easily.

The second part rewards both burning and beating with mill and some hand control. Bearing resemblance to Robbin' Goblin and Robbin' Zombie, the second effect does not care whether an Iron Chain monster inflicts battle or effect damage. This gives players a reason to run the otherwise terrible Iron Chain Blaster, and Repairman can trigger this effect twice in a single attack - once for battle damage, another for his 300-on-kill effect. Hand control is always helpful in reducing the number of ways an opponent can respond to the beatdown, and it's worded "send" to prevent the opponent from cheesing with Dark Worlds and Fableds.

Finally, the last effect gives players the last laugh should the opponent amass a good offensive presence and begin fighting back. Destroying Iron Chain monsters in battle results in the opponent milling cards equal to half the destroyed monster's Level (rounded up). I would've made it "equal to the Level", but mill effects here get watered down to the point where you can't go more than 3 without jumping hoops. Unless they make a LV7 or higher Iron Chain monster, this means the maximum mileage would be 3 cards from Iron Chain Dragon's death - equivalent to what you'd get if you inflicted battle damage with it. It's a no-win situation for the opponent!

3Pi5Nb3.jpg

You can Tribute this card: Target 2 LIGHT monsters in your Graveyard, including 1 "Vylon" Tuner Monster; Special Summon those cards. Immediately after this effect, Synchro Summon a LIGHT monster using those two cards only. This effect of "Vylon Tau" can only be activated once per turn. During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; "Vylon" monsters are unaffected by the effects of cards your opponent controls, until the End Phase.

[spoiler=Wall of text/Paragraph] Vylon currently have one purpose: Summon Omega. They achieve this through the Vylon Element loop, which requires some good set up before achieving. They usually toolbox the set up via Cube and the Synchro options, but once Trident Warrior/Photon Thrashers are out they run out of those options, and they also have tough time recovering after losing pieces. The deck simply had no way make a power play bar the loop (and now Instant Fusion Noden, but that's besides the point), and so I wanted to introduce an in archetype card that could allow them to make a play. This card provides you the chance to ramp into Sigma via Cube+used Trident Warrior/Thrasher, get a search, and protect Sigma with Tau's effect to ensure another search, perhaps enabling a MP2 Omega depending on set up to this point in the duel. This helps Vylon with their lack of recovery, as once they were behind, they were done for. I decided upon Machine not only to suit the image but also because all Machine Vylons aren't Tuners, and so it didn't break the flavor and also added versatility to Vylon, as this card promotes Xyz plays for Gigant searches. That's pretty much it. I considered recovery of Vylon spells, recycling into Deck for an Avarice-like effect, but opted for this as a last ditch effort. The only problem running the card is you don't want 3 I imagine, as that'd be cloggy and interfere with one turn Synchro plays that Trident and Thrasher create alongside Cube/Prism, and space in these decks are limited as is so Tau finding his home is a tight fit even with an effect such as this.[/spoiler]

EDIT: As for card image, upload the desired image to a free image hoster and, when uploaded, right click and click "View Image". Then just copy/paste the link into the image slot on YCM. I had to do it too.

Well, none of my pictures will appear so I can't finish my card.

You can upload the picture that you insist to use as your card's image to any image hosting site (imgur, tinypic, etc.) and paste that pic's link into the card's picture bar.

Edit: Ignore this, just saw Therrion's instruction, which is similar to mine

8vV6WfQ.jpg

Lore:
During your Standby Phase, place 1 Fortune Counter on this card. When a "Fortune Lady" monster you control is destroyed as a result of battle: you can place Fortune Counters on this card equal to the original level of the card destroyed. "Fortune Lady" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF for each Fortune Counter on this card. If a "Fortune Lady" monster you control would be destroyed by a card effect: you can remove 2 Fortune Counters from this card instead. Once per turn: you can remove Fortune Counters from this card to activate one of the following effects:
@ 1 Counter: Draw 1 card.
@ 2 Counters: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls.
@ 3 Counters: Special Summon 1 "Fortune Lady" monster from your hand; increase its Level by 1.

Due to the fact that I can't do spoilers I'll make this brief. Fortune Ladies are cool and need protection from card destruction effects and boosts too. They also would benefit from a bit of draw power.

Thanks to Therrion and Aqua Hina for helping me.

[spoiler='Picture']n9BipEm.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Lore']Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set and can only be Special Summoned (from your hand) by removing from play 6 "Charmer" monsters with different attributes and 6 monsters with different attributes from your hand, field, or graveyard. Your opponent cannot target or destroy other cards you control with card effects. "Charmer" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can select one monster your opponent controls and change its attribute to that of one monster in your graveyard. You can only control one face-up "Queen of the Charmer Line".[/spoiler]

Here's my entry:

[spoiler=My Entry]

[URL=http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/Megamanlan/media/Crystal%20Beast%20Supports/E4B28713-BAAF-4505-B731-82E77463F1E7_zpshw7hnd7a.png.html]E4B28713-BAAF-4505-B731-82E77463F1E7_zps[/URL]

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Crystal" Spell card from your Deck to your Hand; and if you do, you cannot activate Spell cards for the rest of the turn. If this card is Special Summoned from the Spell/Trap Zone: target 1 monster on the Field: that target loses 700 ATK and DEF. When this card is destroyed: you can target 1 "Crystal Beast" Monster in your Graveyard: Place that target face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Spell Card.

[/spoiler]

Here is my entry

742727LV7HarpieEmpress.png

When this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Hysteric" Spell or Trap card from your Deck to your hand. "Harpie" monsters you control gain 500 ATK During Damage Calculation only. Each time this card inflicts Damage to your opponent: You target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; Destroy that Target.

Archived