Rai Talks Music. Go Post Songs.

.Rai

Some more responses.

[spoiler=I CONFESS I AM A ROBOT]

[spoiler=one of my favourite openings]Context is the journey of a merchant and a wolf goddess to find the wolf goddess's homeland and the relationship that develops between the two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw[/spoiler]

Naked wolf lady is naked wolf lady. It's an elegant title song, with its flowing waltz feel, and light orchestration. It's got some fun altered chords that give it some ebb and flow between major and minor key: another element to its smooth flow. Otherwise, quite pop ballady, which is fine because it's a pretty song.

[spoiler=My favorite OP purely for the feels and that piano intro alone][video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFV8UUs1-c[/video][/spoiler]

The majority of music Genre I listen too is Instrumental Rock/Metal and remixed Bump/Beat tracks of relevant game music/anime and the like (I am addicted to listening to the works created by Rukunetsu)

Goodnight Remix (Rukunetsu x Calum Bowen)

The instrumentation on the Angel Beats track seems quite synthesised, but that's okay here since it's a bit dancer. Lots of complex, jazzier chords. The driving bass and acoustic riffing seems superficial at best though. Could be a nice jazz pop ballad, but it's trying to push in the other direction with heavier guitars which overwhelms the delicacy of both the vocal melody and the nuances in the piano part. Not a major qualm though. Just a thought.

I'm a fan of these jazz-age hip-hop producers everywhere. Sort of boss nova-y with old 90s hip-hop beats. Producer you linked seems a little bit flat with his production, but he's got some really nice remixes. Track reminds me of a good old Janelle Monáe track with a similar boss nova vibe near the end.

Okay maybe one more then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQhl7S0Hdm0

Lastly something I just heard and sounded fun, so idk let's try it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qt49bRmPE

FAT GUITAR. Funny name and all. This is a really diverse soundtrack. The guitar part of this track is definitely impressive. Nothing too heavy, but gives the impression of it while creating a beat-heavy, serviceable track. The voice over the track is interesting: distorted until it's unrecognisable, with lots of vocoder and auto-tune stuck over the top. I actually thought it was another guitar at first. The track's pretty simple actually. Outside of a few breakdowns, it's basically a lot of raga-like improvisations over the heavy accompaniment: built around an Arabian scale, so it sounds like Prince of Persia set in 2047.

Sounds like an old-school funk thing going on here. Virtuoso funk acoustic guitar, and all those trumpets and bells? You're just waiting for Diana Ross or someone to pull their vocal cords all over this track. Bit odd hearing it in a Japanese male voice, since these classics have always been sung by more soulful voices with more in the lower register, but this was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzn0ISaR9OQ&feature=kp 

Because I've been listening to the Hoosiers a lot more lately, and I like this the most. Arguably, I do have a soft spot for Worried About Ray,

Not surprised that this is a late 2000s track. Pretty typical of the indie pop scene back then. It's way too comical for me to take seriously, but it's a fun tune. Fairground stomp, fairground trumpets, and that drum beat which makes me feel like I've heard this song a thousand times. The delivery of that playground melody is super fun, especially with the singer's accent poking through. Immediate comparison for me is Vampire Weekend, who you might like. Similar sort of style, except delivered with a little more edge. Their last album was #1 album of 2013 for a lot of critics.

Pop music, let's go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1p74Isbcgc

Sam Tsui, Youtube cover sweetheart. His vocal range is super impressive, although I'm ambivalent to his actual voice. A bit too nasal for my liking, but that's just my thoughts. It's no secret that he basically just bops around pop genres that frequent Disney programmes: acoustic guitar-lead acoustic pop, pop-pseudo-house music, piano ballads. Nothing inherently bad about his music, but I'll admit that I find his music formulaic, the sort of songwriting very typical of the mid-2000s. He does improve on it with some slightly more streamlined structures, and more interesting, Broadway-style choruses (although this is more prevalent in his more recent music rather than his older stuff like you've posted).

Boris might be my favorite band ever. They're a Japanese 3-piece that's dabbled in many different styles (pop, alternative, shoegaze, stoner punk) but are most well-known for their epic, crushing doom/drone albums. This is one of their best in my opinion, it's a full album but it is technically one song. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKgltFHIEY

I'll sure try to have a listen of as much of the album later. The concept of a whole album as a single track is clever though. Seen it a few times, always been impressed. I've expressed my opinions on drone in this thread before (basically cool stuff, but not my realm). I skipped around a bit with some recommendations from the Youtube comments, there's some edgy, attitude-packed guitar riffs in the midst of the album, and some moments of airy drumming too. The feedback does turn into gorgeous ethereal shoegazy white noise at times, which is lovely. Really, all I've done is talk about the less droney moments in the album. Some of the feedback is deafeningly heavy, which is brilliant.  

have some feels
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfF9fIDqFg[/media]
its even more feelsy once you know what the song is about

I'm ambivalent to this type of music. Usually get a lot of good melodies, but too often comes off as angsty teen emo stuff. There's a certain subtlety in the verses which is great, although there's no precise verse-chorus structure really when I say that. More of an ebb and flow of gradual build up and backing away. A few climactic moments with intense noodling complete the song. Did find out what the song's about, and it's a sad backstory.

Hello. I bring the best of intentions and a fresh swedish pop song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA8AfQaUnXM

I assume the context isn't that she's Swedish (because she's not Swedish), and since I figure that you're Swedish, this is probably on the charts at the moment. Only because I remember her two years back on UK X Factor, and because this was one brilliant performance. I was excited for her debut, because she had such a soulful voice and unique voice timbre, but I wasn't overwhelmed by Ghost.

In the post-Amy Winehouse landscape of the UK music scene, she unfortunately fails to stand out quite ironically: John Newman is her immediate contender, with Ghost sounding like a vaguely worse Love Me Again, with Sam Smith and a billion other soulful voices dominating the industry. In trying to edge up her sound and create a dance-influenced soul sound, she's simultaneously just become one thin thread in the 2014 UK pop tapestry. Ghost isn't a bad song though, sweet guitar breaks (although they do sound exactly like those in Love Me again), stumpy piano and funk riffs. Problems come in that it's not amazing, which is vital for a pop song, and the verses are merely just filler for the otherwise brilliant chorus.

I have hopes for her. Her voice is far too impressive to actually dislike her songs really. I'm sure her debut album will include material that isn't all in this vein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEgX64n3T7g

I've always been a fan of Massive Attack. Nothing on Heligoland really tickled my fancy like their earlier material did but the music's still right up my street. Dank, rainy chord progressions on the piano, and that thudding bass feel like almost comically depressing counterparts to the happy-go-lucky clap march beat going on. Their production is slick as always, and the female vocalist whose name eludes me at the moment does a good job here. This post did remind me that Teardrop existed though, so I'm gonna go relisten to that as well.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkC25GQ-7uw[/media]

I'd be interested in your opinion about a music I composed. There's more pieces written for this project, though.

I think this fits really well as a title track. Relentless violin ostinato going on there, and otherwise a fairly simple instrumental track based on a looped theme. Another composer on here with a penchant for exotic instruments, which I like. Adding a little Japanese flair never hurts really. I'd potentially quantise your individual tracks a little more though: the violin ostinato goes a little out of sync at the end, but that's a minor thing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgoPgrhpy_M[/video]

I am a sucker for instrumental Rock/Metal music or generally listening to that beautiful rift of the Guitar. This Medley is no exception.

Cheesy power rock riffs, sure. Is this metal? I guess lots of speedy bass and speed drumming, but I've always found that these type of songs lack any form of edge. Lots of impressive virtuoso guitar playing though in general. And it's Mega Man, so there's already the benefit of familiar, catchy melodies.[/spoiler]

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrO9PTpuSSs[/video]

Enjoy this sentimental journey. I have a lot of respect for works made by Nujabes (mostly due to my discovery of him a couple of years back when I watched Samurai champloo.) There is just something about the bump and hip-hop tracks that really get to me you know? Granted, his content probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that is fine since everyone is entitled to their particular tastes. If you want something to kick back too, or generally just have that kind of "floaty feel" when you relax, check out some of Nujabes earlier works. I am sure you will find something that tailors to your interests. He is really good at mixing traditional sounds and music into his work.

R.I.B Nujabes

(Rest in Beats)

I'll sure try to have a listen of as much of the album later. The concept of a whole album as a single track is clever though. Seen it a few times, always been impressed. I've expressed my opinions on drone in this thread before (basically cool stuff, but not my realm). I skipped around a bit with some recommendations from the Youtube comments, there's some edgy, attitude-packed guitar riffs in the midst of the album, and some moments of airy drumming too. The feedback does turn into gorgeous ethereal shoegazy white noise at times, which is lovely. Really, all I've done is talk about the less droney moments in the album. Some of the feedback is deafeningly heavy, which is brilliant.

Glad you've enjoyed what you've heard. I understand not getting to listen to the whole thing right away because it is quite long, though it really is at its best when listened to in its entirety. I find the droney parts to be very hypnotic and the riff-packed climax just makes me want to smash things (in a good way). 

Also props for recommending Deafheaven, Sunbather was probably my favorite album of 2013. I noticed that a lot of people who don't normally like hardcore or metal music seem to be digging it which I feel is a bit odd, but I guess the indie/shoegaze/post-rock elements make for some pretty decent crossover appeal. Have you listened to Roads to Judah or their demo?  

Sounds like an old-school funk thing going on here. Virtuoso funk acoustic guitar, and all those trumpets and bells? You're just waiting for Diana Ross or someone to pull their vocal cords all over this track. Bit odd hearing it in a Japanese male voice, since these classics have always been sung by more soulful voices with more in the lower register, but this was interesting.

tbh my first impressions of it, specifically at the way the trumpet was introduced alongside the guitar, was all Short Skirt, Long Jacket.

John Newman is her immediate contender, with Ghost sounding like a vaguely worse Love Me Again.

Damnit Rai, now I have to go listen to that song 100x again.

But as for more things to go through, I'm well out of Gatchaman at this point (I mean, there are a few left, but they're generally all filler, except maybe one far-eastern sounding track called Pandaman, and the opening... actually.

if you can't tell, most of the lyrics are complete and total gibberish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfk8sqQ-qEI

And here's something pulled from another show the Gatchaman composer did music for. Please excuse me for choosing one with choppy English lyrics, I just wanted to use the one with the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaOVtdUlmU

For those in the need of new pop music, I've stuck another edition of Looking For... together for you. Ranges from super poppy to on the verges of accessibility.

Looking For… (Pop Edition)

UK Electronica:
Disclosure - Latch feat. Sam Smith
AlunaGeorge - Your Drums, Your Love

UK Soul Pop:
Sam Smith - Stay With Me
Paloma Faith - Can't Rely on You

Retro Synthpop:
Röyksopp & Robyn - Monument
La Roux - Let Me Down Gently

Shiny Synthpop:
Cash Cash - Take Me Home
Capital Cities - Kangaroo Court

J-pop:
Perfume - 1mm
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Ninja Re Bang Bang

Edgy Indie Pop:
Kimbra - 90s Music
Vampire Weekend - Diane Young

…And the Nutso People:
Björk - Mutual Core
Kanye West - I Am a God

the only bands/artists off of your list i like and listen to are Disclosure, Bjork and Kanye West, never could stand Vampire Weekend and i still cant, the rest ive never bothered with but might listen to sometime in my lifetime

the only bands/artists off of your list i like and listen to are Disclosure, Bjork and Kanye West, never could stand Vampire Weekend and i still cant, the rest ive never bothered with but might listen to sometime in my lifetime

No, absolutely, taste is taste. If you like Disclosure, AlunaGeorge is probably right up your street, and potentially the Röyksopp & Robyn track? Try those.

No, absolutely, taste is taste. If you like Disclosure, AlunaGeorge is probably right up your street, and potentially the Röyksopp & Robyn track? Try those.

ive heard a small amount of Royksopp and like what little ive heard from her, never tried out AlubaGeorge but i really liked the track she did with Disclosure

ive heard a small amount of Royksopp and like what little ive heard from her, never tried out AlubaGeorge but i really liked the track she did with Disclosure

They're both production duos which is what I like. AlunaGeorge is a singer and a producer as a duo, the singer (Aluna) did the track with Disclosure, but the producer (George) has some skilled hands too. Sort of glossy dance pop with big Massive Attack drums and R&B touches.

They're both production duos which is what I like. AlunaGeorge is a singer and a producer as a duo, the singer (Aluna) did the track with Disclosure, but the producer (George) has some skilled hands too. Sort of glossy dance pop with big Massive Attack drums and R&B touches.

that does sound pretty cool, know which album is their best to start with?

Edit: @Kuromi: They only have their debut at the moment, but Attracting Flies and Best Be Believing are two singles which are overtly similar to Disclosure's garage stuff. Probably search up You know You Like It for the most glitchy, Disclosure-y single of theirs.

Tried the songs. Couldn't get into any of them, except for Bjork, since I already listen to her.

Understandable. A lot of if lies in a similar realm of indie, electropop so it's one batch really. I have less overtly poppy recommendations for the future.

You're a Lana fan so have a go with some of the songs from Paloma Faith's second album or Florence + The Machine's second album. Search up a few songs if you like that orchestral, Baroque pop sounds; Streets of Glory, Picking Up the Pieces, Only If For a Night, Spectrum. There's far less poppy cuts on the respective albums if you wanna go deep.

You're a Lana fan so have a go with some of the songs from Paloma Faith's second album or Florence + The Machine's second album. Search up a few songs if you like that orchestral, Baroque pop sounds; Streets of Glory, Picking Up the Pieces, Only If For a Night, Spectrum. There's far less poppy cuts on the respective albums if you wanna go deep.

I'll try Paloma Faith. Won't try Florence + The Machine since I'm already a fan.

Oh. Oh. Rai. Suggest stuff to me.

Hmmm, you're the Passion Pit and Coldplay guy (which is basically me anyway). Lemme see. Try tUnE-yArDs for some chirpy playground pop with loads of weird tribal rhythms. You've inevitably heard this song before, but Empire Of The Sun is a fun band if you're in the mood for synthpop. The Australian equivalent to Coldplay is basically The Temper Trap. If you're just looking for dumb weird stuff, anything by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu or anything from Kanye and Jay-Z's Watch the Throne.

I know saying "It's time to suffer!" or something along those lines on page 3 was probably a bit off putting, but that's mostly because I had a 14 minute long song in there. But I really did want you to at least look over Curse My Name, since it's a song I'm hard-pressed to forget.

Must have missed that during my last response, oops :3 I've get to the two tracks in my next response batch.

Based on your critique and suggestions you gave me on one of your earlier responses, I've listened to various tracks from the artists you recommended, mostly Imogen Heap (I already listen to Coldplay) and have found various tracks that I liked. I let one of buddies listen to it and recommended two songs that I like and think that you will like as well,
http://youtu.be/U7KuNLHOA1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKcozRG0bIk ( I already knew about this one)
Are there any further recommendations you can offer to me?

Hmmm, you're the Passion Pit and Coldplay guy (which is basically me anyway). Lemme see. Try tUnE-yArDs for some chirpy playground pop with loads of weird tribal rhythms. You've inevitably heard this song before, but Empire Of The Sun is a fun band if you're in the mood for synthpop. The Australian equivalent to Coldplay is basically The Temper Trap. If you're just looking for dumb weird stuff, anything by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu or anything from Kanye and Jay-Z's Watch the Throne.

I have Empire of the Sun and Watch the Throne on my computer, lol, but I don't ever really listen to anything often from either past like We Are the People from the prior and No Church in the Wild

tUnE-yArDs was an interesting listen, but they seem like the type of band I'd just listen to if they came on randomly rather than specifically search them out. I think it has something to do with how they do the vocals. It's the same reason I don't listen to Empire of the Sun that often. I really like Temper Trap's main singer's voice, he sounded like John Legend at one point, so there's no doubt I'll find something of theirs I like.

EDIT: Found Sweet Disposition, oh yeah, I've heard this before definitely.

Ohohohoh, while I'm here, (i mean why not add to what I already posted RIGHT?) let's talk Frank Ocean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf79vG3yglk

How's Disclosure in general? Only heard F For You and absolutely loved it.

Rai oh Rai, recommend me stuff. I can honestly listen to everything but I have a thing for fun beats which is why I listen to a lot of rap/hiphop. gogo, here's some stuff from my current foobar playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB7I7kpRn6A (whole album is sick)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxu02vp_Vm0 (tourist history is probably their best album imo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqV2vc6vRIk (this I like 90% because of the Kool and the Gang sample but whatever, song's pretty dope)

I'll recommend stuff after I get some sleep in this thunderstorm, but Disclosure's good. F for You is closer to their US garage-influenced stuff - very soul- and gospel-influenced, hence why there's a version of F for U with Mary J Blige. Personal cuts for me are Defeated No More and Latch. Closest stylistically to F for You.

Do like Childish Gambino and Two Door Cinema Club (to a degree). I'll find you some stuff. Check back in a day.

Archived