[NAWCQ] Cheating at the WCQ.

In the Finals of the Dragon Duel at NAWCQ, the winner, Clayton Hill, added two cards to his hand when resolving Gear Gigant X's effect. He first threw a Geargiarsenal onto the table. He then dropped a card facedown over the top of his hand and proceeded to Hindu shuffle his deck. Neither the commentators nor his opponent noticed. See the following video at 33m00s in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxdabQP9zA&t=33m0s

Second, Stephen Klaus, well-known by many to be an unsporting player, boasted in a post-game deck profile that he took advantage of creating an illegal gamestate multiple times. I quote, "people are ignorant and let me just keep it on the field when I Synchro". This is in reference to leaving Miracle Fertilizer on the field. See the following video at 03m14s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBB2L9oznM&t=3m14s

You expected there to not be cheating?

People like them are obnoxious and make the competitive side of the game look bad =_-

Especially that Klaus guy, holy frogs I just wanna take his Sylvan Charities and rip them apart for boasting like that.

You expected there to not be cheating?

People like them are obnoxious and make the competitive side of the game look bad =_-

Especially that Klaus guy, holy frogs I just wanna take his Sylvan Charities and rip them apart for boasting like that.

I always expect cheating at tier 2 events. I just didn't expect people to be so blatant about it.

I spoke with the Head Judge for NAWCQ, and he told me that it was out of his hands, but that both he and the Head Judge for the Dragon Duels were on notice about the situation, and that they were on standby if Konami requested their assistance in an investigation. Unfortunately their prizes can't be taken, but they can be suspended
, and Hill's Worlds invite given to third place.

wow, that's a hilariously obvious cheat. at least it's captured on video so they have evidence to ban, which i hope they do for a lengthy amount of time seeing as grüner was banned for looking through his graveyard.

you silly americans, good thing that sort of thing doesn't happen in britain, we have players of real integrity who would never do such a thing, like simon he.

wait, really? damn

You don't know how easy it is at times to say Draw a extra card underneath the Drawn card or "misplace" a card to the Graveyard. That's why the opponent should always have a good eye out and instantly report to the Judge if something has happened. Always keep an eye on how many cards your opponent is holding, make sure what goes in theGrave is what was supposed to. Things like that.

You don't know how easy it is at times to say Draw a extra card underneath the Drawn card or "misplace" a card to the Graveyard. That's why the opponent should always have a good eye out and instantly report to the Judge if something has happened. Always keep an eye on how many cards your opponent is holding, make sure what goes in theGrave is what was supposed to. Things like that.

The worst is when people practice doing it while keeping eye contact with the opponent. Paul Levitin did this at SJC LA in 2005. That was pretty much the start of the whole "i cheat so wut i win" mentality.

I think my favorite part is how you actually got flak for this from the Judging community, not just from idiots supporting this.

Yeah, I got called out by a Konami rep vaguebooking on AdjCon about how I'm "unprofessional" and "acting like an inexperienced judge" because I didn't "investigate". I just hope I don't end up like Allen Pennington, but what're you gonna do, y'know?

If I have learned anything from this, Yu-Gi-Oh! players will defend cheaters, Yu-Gi-Oh! judges are bad people who try to cover up cheating, and if you add "soft" as a prefix to "cheating", it makes it both okay and you a great player.

I'm a judge doe. It's not so much the judges that are trying to cover it up (most agree with me and want something done), it's Konami reps who want to act politically correct and not have anyone in the judge program talk about cheaters by name, EVER.

Quick breakdown of the Dragon Duel video that Urthor did on DGz. I went back further before 32:45 to verify.

29:18 - 4 CIH laid visibly splayed on table.

29:35 - Activates Upstart, draws. 4 CIH

29:50 - Sets 2 cards. 2 CIH

30:19 - Draws for turn. 3 CIH

30:23 - Sets 1 card. 2 CIH

31:14 - Draws for turn. 3 CIH

31:23 - Lays cards on table. 3 CIH visible.

32:29 - Sets 1. 2 CIH

32:45: Clayton has 2 CIH which you can see from the way he's shuffling his hand, 2 set backrows, a Gigant with 2 materials, and a faceup fiendish chain.

32:50: Clayton draws for turn, 3 CIH which he lays out on the table and you can count.  

32:55 Clayton's hand is facedown on the table in a pile

33:01: Clayton has detached Geargiano and put arsenal on the table and one card noticably came out of his hand and ontop of his hand.  He should have 4 cards in hand if he didn't add an extra from deck, 5 if he did add an extra

33:37: Clayton sets 1 card to backrow out of his hand and passes to his opponent.  3/4 in hand

33:44 Clayton draws for his next turn.  He should have 4/5 cards in hand depending on what he did.

33:58: Clayton activates Gear Gigant during the same turn and puts his hand on the table.  Count the cards he has.  You should can see very clearly each of the individual cards in his hand and count them, and if he didn't add an extra card to his hand he would have 4 cards, if he did he would have 5 cards.

At 33:59, before he searches a card for Gear Gigant X, he clearly has 5 cards in his hand.  

Clayton definitely cheated.

What I don't get was why was Clayton randomly throwing his hand onto the table anyway? Was it some kind of destraction? If it was me, I would have laid the cards face-down. Chucking them on the table like that could easily flip face-up and show your opponent wat you have.

Watching the video again, Clayton looks like a bit of a slimy person.....

What I don't get was why was Clayton randomly throwing his hand onto the table anyway? Was it some kind of destraction? If it was me, I would have laid the cards face-down. Chucking them on the table like that could easily flip face-up and show your opponent wat you have.

Both he and the Bird were tired as fuck at that point, and (allegedly) neither cared as they agreed to split the prize. As per Konami policy they had to play it out though. What I don't understand is why Hill would do something like that when he knows he's being recorded and that it doesn't matter whether he wins or not, the prizes are going to be split and he's going to Italy no matter what. It's just beyond retarded.

Both he and the Bird were tired as f*** at that point, and (allegedly) neither cared as they agreed to split the prize. As per Konami policy they had to play it out though. What I don't understand is why Hill would do something like that when he knows he's being recorded and that it doesn't matter whether he wins or not, the prizes are going to be split and he's going to Italy no matter what. It's just beyond retarded.

My guess is because the Duel was "for fun" Clayton thought he would try and see what he could get away with before Italy. Makes me laugh though because IF that was caught out there and then, Clayton would have been Disqualified. Hopefully, the Judges will see this footage and do the right thing.

This thread has shown me some of the most awful sides of the player base. It's not like people saying "fuck competitive game" is necessarily a good thing because getting more people discouraged from the get go will increase the chances of these assholes to get prizes out of their actions.

Then again, facing these kinds of guys and going an extra mile to keep their moves in check more than normally is just stressful and it could very well ruin anyone's mood when facing the "I saw you cheat" scenario, I wonder if the trip is even worth it, and Konami's events would technically be affected negatively would this widespread and reveal that they aren't doing anything about it. When something is just downright recorded, there is not much of an "investigation" that needs to be done to put it to light. The nerve of people so blatantly cheating and uploading their testimony on the internet for everyone to see. 

I have the feeling that Konami is just trying to politely say "shut up, we don't have time for that", which really has no way of being put "politely" at all. They shouldn't insult your professionalism just because you are doing your job. Though I hope I'm wrong and that they'll take care of this.

"I got Soul Charge next because of stacking", did he mean Sylvean effect stacking or actual cheating stacking? From the looks of that video it could sadly go either way.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, good on you for catching him and showing what he did in the recording.

and cheating should be punished a lot more strictly than this if you ask me.

he cheated, in an official match. this is illegal and he should be DQ'd and prevented from entering any next tier stuff if this is a qualifier.

honestly. konami should force them to play it out in a video game at these levels of play if they don't want cheating. it's a bit harder to sneak a card into your hand when your deck isn't physical.

they used to make them a lot more, now they really died down.

it's not like konami couldn't put out it's own version of ygopro and charge a buying fee. and give it the graphical stuff they have sitting around from tag force and the world championship games. they could make a killing. keep the card sets behind a set or something to keep the card game itself alive. still sell those as well as they have been, and only bring the game up to current set packs at like the worlds championships. plus. hell. it's one step closer to the anime. monsters fighting digitally. that's why the games are fun.

Archived