OCG/PSCT Tutorial: Learn How To Write Your Cards Properly!

Atypical-Abbie

I have trouble wording this effect:

• Draw 1 card, and if that card is a monster card, you can Summon it to your side of the field.

This is a card effect that allows me to draw a card, and Summon that card to my side of the field if the drawn card is a monster.

What is wrong with my statement?

• Draw 1 card, then if it is a Monster Card, you can Special Summon it.  

(For the most part, you're fine, save for eliminating some words.)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this effect an Ignition effect?

Declare a number from 1 to 10; this card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 900 until the end of this turn, then if the declared number was 5 or 9, apply the appropriate effect.
●5: Destroy as many Set Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls as possible, and if you do, they take 700 damage for each card destroyed.
●9: Your opponent's monsters lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 350.

Is this effect an Ignition effect?

Declare a number from 1 to 10; this card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 900 until the end of this turn, then if the declared number was 5 or 9, apply the appropriate effect.

●5: Destroy as many Set Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls as possible, and if you do, they take 700 damage for each card destroyed.

●9: Your opponent's monsters lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 350.

If it's a monster effect, then yes. A monster effect with no activation timing is an Ignition Effect.

But if it were one, it should say "You can declare a number from 1 to 10". Ignition Effects are always optional to activate. Right now it looks more like the effect that you activate by activating, say, a Normal Spell/Trap Card.

If it's a monster effect, then yes. A monster effect with no activation timing is an Ignition Effect.

But if it were one, it should say "You can declare a number from 1 to 10". Ignition Effects are always optional to activate. Right now it looks more like the effect that you activate by activating, say, a Normal Spell/Trap Card.

So it's a monster effect instead of an Ignition Effect? Because I think so.

So it's a monster effect instead of an Ignition Effect? Because I think so.

Ignition Effects are monster effects.

A monster effect can be an Ignition, Quick, Trigger, or Continuous Effect, or a monster effect without classification.

Therefore, if your effect is a monster effect, it's an Ignition Effect (because it has no activation timing). But if it's a Spell/Trap effect, it's not an Ignition Effect.

It looks more like a Spell/Trap effect than a monster effect (Ignition Effect) because it doesn't have "You can". If it's a monster effect, then it's an Ignition Effect, in which case you should add "You can" to it.

New section added called "36: A lot of important new term changes and additions", the term "Transfer" has been added to the "Word List, Explanations and Usage List" and minor updates to the wording to reflect the changes have been added throughout the whole thread.

Does this mean I can use GY in place of Graveyard?

Thanks. I've changed the effects to be an Ignition Effect by starting the effect off with "you can".

Yeah, you can start doing so now.

Changes should've been announced in their entirety at this point.

I sent you a message at 8:20 AM, and then I accidentally deleted it. Did you receive it?

Guest 777c

I have trouble understanding this effect.

• Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by Spell/Trap Cards.

Do I need to specify my opponent to this effect or not?

I have trouble understanding this effect.

• Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by Spell/Trap Cards.

Do I need to specify my opponent to this effect or not?

What do you mean by specifying your opponent?

"Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by Spell/Trap effects" means that monsters you control aren't destroyed by Spell/Trap effects belonging to either you or your opponent.

"Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's Spell/Trap effects" means that monsters you control aren't destroyed by your opponent's Spell/Trap effects, but they can still be destroyed by your Spell/Trap effects.

Does that answer your question?

Guest 777c

What do you mean by specifying your opponent?

"Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by Spell/Trap effects" means that monsters you control aren't destroyed by Spell/Trap effects belonging to either you or your opponent.

"Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's Spell/Trap effects" means that monsters you control aren't destroyed by your opponent's Spell/Trap effects, but they can still be destroyed by your Spell/Trap effects.

Does that answer your question?

Yes.

I have trouble wording this other effect I'm writing:

• When your opponent Special Summon a monster(s): Negate the Special Summon, and if you do, destroy those monster(s).

Is my OCG grammar correct?

Yes.

I have trouble wording this other effect I'm writing:

• When your opponent Special Summon a monster(s): Negate the Special Summon, and if you do, destroy those monster(s).

No, in fact this is quite important to note the distinction of. Negating a Special Summon in the way you have written it implies that it negates cards like Cyber Dragon, Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum and Link Summons, in other words, these are Special Summon that do not use a Chain. The way you word that is like this:

"When your opponent would Special Summon a monster(s): Negate the Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster(s)."

There are also card effects which are able to negate effects that Special Summon, such as Rescue Rabbit, Scapegoat or Polymerization etc. The way you word that is like this:

"When your opponent activate a card effect that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s): Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card."

Important to note here also that the monster being Summoned is not what is being negated, but rather the card that Special Summons itself.

Guest 777c

No, in fact this is quite important to note the distinction of. Negating a Special Summon in the way you have written it implies that it negates cards like Cyber Dragon, Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum and Link Summons, in other words, these are Special Summon that do not use a Chain. The way you word that is like this:

"When your opponent would Special Summon a monster(s): Negate the Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster(s)."

There are also card effects which are able to negate effects that Special Summon, such as Rescue Rabbit, Scapegoat or Polymerization etc. The way you word that is like this:

"When your opponent activate a card effect that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s): Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card."

Important to note here also that the monster being Summoned is not what is being negated, but rather the card that Special Summons itself.

Thanks.  I have another problem- this time it deals with the term attack target.

The effect is as follows:

• When a monster you control is attacked by your opponent's monster: Negate the attack, and if you do, destroy the attacking monster.

When a monster you control is attacked by your opponent's monster: Negate the attack, and when you do, destroy the attacking monster.

Other than that, you should be fine. I would probably use ", then destroy the attacking monster", but that would reply simultaneously, and I am under the assumption you want it to destroy if the negation is successful.

Thanks.  I have another problem- this time it deals with the term attack target.

The effect is as follows:

• When a monster you control is attacked by your opponent's monster: Negate the attack, and if you do, destroy the attacking monster.

You should state a point in time in which the effect activates. Since this effect negates an attack, an appropriate point in time would be when the attack is declared. For other effects, this could be "at the start of the Damage Step," "before damage calculation," "during damage calculation," "after damage calculation," "at the end of the Damage Step," etc.

There's no card to my knowledge that refers to a monster whose attack is negated as "the attacking monster".

Example solution — When a monster you control is targeted for an attack by an opponent's monster: Negate the attack, and if you do, destroy that opponent's monster.

When a monster you control is attacked by your opponent's monster: Negate the attack, and when you do, destroy the attacking monster.

Other than that, you should be fine. I would probably use ", then destroy the attacking monster", but that would reply simultaneously, and I am under the assumption you want it to destroy if the negation is successful.

"And when you do" isn't a PSCT conjunction. Why did you feel the need to change "and if you do"?

"Then" does not mean (reply?) simultaneously. It means not simultaneously.

Furthermore, both "A, and if you do, B" and "A, then B" require A to happen for you to do B. There is no difference between the two besides simultaneity.

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4514

Guest 777c

I sent you a message at 12:31 PM, but I accidentally deleted it.  It's about a monster whose effect is to summon monsters from the GY. Ignore my last post 34 minutes ago.

Did you receive it?

More updates to the "36: A lot of important new term changes and additions", see them after the red text in the section, the term "material" has been added to the "Word List, Explanations and Usage List" and minor updates to the wording to reflect the changes have been added throughout the whole thread.

Guest 777c

More updates to the "36: A lot of important new term changes and additions", see them after the red text in the section, the term "material" has been added to the "Word List, Explanations and Usage List" and minor updates to the wording to reflect the changes have been added throughout the whole thread.

Is this effect correct?

• Detach 4 materials from 1 XYZ monster your opponent controls. (If there are less than 4, destroy the monster).

This is from a monster that can detach materials from your opponent's XYZ monster.

Is this effect correct?

• Detach 4 materials from 1 XYZ monster your opponent controls. (If there are less than 4, destroy the monster).

This is from a monster that can detach materials from your opponent's XYZ monster.

It should be Xyz Monster to be fully correct, otherwise it seems fine.

Guest 777c

I have trouble writing this effect.  It Special Summons 1 monster from your banished zone to your side of the field.

• Special Summon 1 monster from your banish zone. 

What is wrong with the wording?

Archived