OCG/PSCT Tutorial: Learn How To Write Your Cards Properly!

Atypical-Abbie

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So I got this effect for the Xyz monsters of an archetype I made, and they each have this sort of thing and not quite sure how to word it. I know my OCG well, it's just that the order and the multiple targets, etc has been stated to possibly be wrong, and I was suggested to ask here. The effect would be:

During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of [Archetype] monsters you control, except [itself] and if you do, pay 800 Life Points and [some other effect]; attach the first targets to this card, [Resolution of "Some other effect"]

So I got this effect for the Xyz monsters of an archetype I made, and they each have this sort of thing and not quite sure how to word it. I know my OCG well, it's just that the order and the multiple targets, etc has been stated to possibly be wrong, and I was suggested to ask here. The effect would be:

During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of [Archetype] monsters you control, except [itself] and if you do, pay 800 Life Points and [some other effect]; attach the first targets to this card, [Resolution of "Some other effect"]

During each End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials: Target any number of "Archetype" monsters you control, except "Card Name", then pay 800 LP, then some other effect; attach the first target this card as Xyz Materials, and if you do, some other effect.

I have a new thread which you can ask questions in too, I also added it to the OP:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/330962-ocgpsct-helping-center/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little note that "At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked or was attacked" has been changed to "If damage calculation is performed involving this card, at the end of the Battle Phase".

This is for cards like Gladiator Beasts, as it was unclear if you could use them if the attack was stopped before the Damage Step happend, for example with Fiendish Chain at attack declaration.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Edited the "19: Bullet Holes and how to use them" section with some new/changed information. It mostly has to do with how having conditions and effects after the bullet hole is becoming much more common, and I previously said to not do so, but as it's happening more and more, I felt the need to change some of it.

I am sorry to bother you about this, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist and I noticed some small mistakes, mostly grammar/spelling, stuff like "Swift" instead of "Switch" and "example" instead of "exception". Also, I think you forgot about "While" I use that word on a lot of my cards, for example: "While this card is in your Graveyard, you take no effect damage".

Other than that, really good guide it hepled me a lot. I got 7/10 on the quiz, it was quite tricky =P

I am sorry to bother you about this, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist and I noticed some small mistakes, mostly grammar/spelling, stuff like "Swift" instead of "Switch" and "example" instead of "exception". Also, I think you forgot about "While" I use that word on a lot of my cards, for example: "While this card is in your Graveyard, you take no effect damage".

Other than that, really good guide it hepled me a lot. I got 7/10 on the quiz, it was quite tricky =P

I'll try to hunt those down soon and fix them, it's pretty hard to make this a perfect guide with how complex the writing system is as well. I will add while too soon, that's a pretty common word, not sure why I forgot about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Read your guide when I first joined; It was a great help!

Not sure if it's a problem or if it should be there, because of its minisculeness, but one of the problems I had when making cards was trying to figure out which of these effects is right (colon/semicolon):
Once per turn: You can draw 1 card.
Once per turn; You can draw 1 card.

IIRC it's the first one, but I can't see it in the Colon/Semicolon section. Do you think that's an issue worth addressing?

Read your guide when I first joined; It was a great help!

Not sure if it's a problem or if it should be there, because of its minisculeness, but one of the problems I had when making cards was trying to figure out which of these effects is right (colon/semicolon):

Once per turn: You can draw 1 card.

Once per turn; You can draw 1 card.

IIRC it's the first one, but I can't see it in the Colon/Semicolon section. Do you think that's an issue worth addressing?

Hm, I see now that I should probably have made things clearer in that section, I will be updating that soon. To answer your question, it's the first one, as there is no cost and it doesn't target, so you only put a colon, no semi-colon.

EDIT:

Updated the Updated 5: Colon and Semi-Colon Integration and When/If with more information.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been here in a while, but I do have an effect that is causing me some ire due it possibly being too redundant.

Original wording: Once per turn: You can change every monster your opponent controls to face-up Attack Position; negate their effects, then this card gains 200 ATK for every monster your opponent controls and can attack every monster your opponent controls once each.

My idea for better wording: Once per turn: You can change every monster your opponent controls to face-up Attack Position; negate their effects, then this card gains 200 ATK for every monster your opponent controls and can attack them once each.

You probably get the gist of what it does.

I haven't been here in a while, but I do have an effect that is causing me some ire due it possibly being too redundant.

Original wording: Once per turn: You can change every monster your opponent controls to face-up Attack Position; negate their effects, then this card gains 200 ATK for every monster your opponent controls and can attack every monster your opponent controls once each.

My idea for better wording: Once per turn: You can change every monster your opponent controls to face-up Attack Position; negate their effects, then this card gains 200 ATK for every monster your opponent controls and can attack them once each.

You probably get the gist of what it does.

Before I start, you wording is using colons and semi-colon wrong, at least I very much doubt your intention is to change them as a cost. Effects always go after the colon or semi-colon, if you have no cost, which it doesn't look like, you only use a colon. That being said, here's the wording I would use:

"Once per turn: You can change all monsters your opponent control to Attack Position, also negate their effects, then this card gains 200 ATK for each monster your opponent controls and it can attack them all, once each."

Before I start, you wording is using colons and semi-colon wrong, at least I very much doubt your intention is to change them as a cost. Effects always go after the colon or semi-colon, if you have no cost, which it doesn't look like, you only use a colon. That being said, here's the wording I would use:

"Once per turn: You can change all monsters your opponent control to Attack Position, also negate their effects, then this card gains 200 ATK for each monster your opponent controls and it can attack them all, once each."

Oh, the cost part is completely intentional. Thanks for the help, though!

Oh, the cost part is completely intentional. Thanks for the help, though!

I have said that this isn't a design tutorial thread, but I must say that it's not a good idea to make effects act as costs like that, it's really cheap, and it's one of the reasons why Kaiju are designed the way they are, because your opponent never gets a chance to protect themselves against the Tribute, or in your case the change to Attack Position, so they put a condition on them and made sure they had the ability to use your counters as well.

Archived