X-Over Academy (Drac's Version) [IC]

Draconus297

[url=http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/324369-x-over-academy-dracs-version-signups-ooc/]OOC[/url]

The Air Skimmers soared though the open skies, on a direct approach towards the famous Academy in the Air. After what had been a three-day journey, everyone could finally see the expansive campus, situated on a floating island the size of that land Columbus had discovered several years back.

As the approach grew closer, the excited crowds of students began to shove to get a glimpse of their welcoming party.

"It's Aquinas, the Battle-Mage!" One student yelled excitedly.

"And his Familiar is with him!" another chattered back. "And they said that it being a metal skeleton was just a myth."

One student ducked down. "Rhoda, the Lady of Black Magic is in the welcoming party, and so's that blasted silver-haired Familiar of hers."

Several more students cleared away from the windows after that, but not before noticing something they should have noticed early:

"Headmaster Reign is waiting for us!"

The excited chatter re-started immediately, with wild speculation as to exactly what the old man's Familiar was being the forefront topic of conversation. The primary theory was that the old man had summoned some variety of angel of vengeance, but there were counter-theories suggesting everything from a demon to a lightning-fast swordsman. After all, the facts said that whatever it was, it had never been seen and it could cut anything to ribbons.

"Prepare to disembark!" A voice called out. The Air Skimmer was preparing to dock.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arn stood in a corner of the room, as far away from the crowd of students as possible while still having a view of the Academy. "Tch, so noisy..." he muttered to himself. Though he also couldn't help but quietly admire their destination. He was trying to ignore most of the chatter from all the students, but mention of the Headmaster caught his attention. During his travels Arn had heard his fair share of tales regarding the famous Headmaster and his familiar, though he was skeptical of most.

One of the crewman yelled out, "Prepare to disembark!" and the crowd of students hurriedly scuttled towards the exit. Arn followed suit, an admittedly excited smile across his face. His year long journey was hopefully at its end.

Though this was only the beginning of a new one...

--------------------

In the ruins of the collapsed Nados Castle, something stirred. As stone was thrown aside, a man encased in ebony armor emerged from beneath the rubble. "Son of Gawain, it seems you are not yet worthy of killing me." the Black Knight uttered as he left behind the remains of the once proud castle. In the distance he spied an army, marching towards its final destination at Crimea's capital. "However, he's grown strong. No doubt the Mad King will fall, and Crimea will reclaim itself. I must return to Begnion and make my report."

He reached underneath his armor to pull out a small pouch, hefting it in his hand for a moment. "There's only a few more uses left. I'll have to acquire more upon my return." He reached into the pouch, taking a handful of strange powder and spreading it in a circle in front of him. A glowing rune formed in front of him. "Even if I was holding back, I used up much of my strength. After this, I will have to rest soon."

He stepped into the light...

In a world far removed from the Academy in the air, a young man strode through the halls of a palace that could hardly be considered to be in anything but immaculate condition.  The stone walls were polished bright white, the floor beneath his feet shone black offset by the occasional large, brightly colored rug, and all about him hung tapestries and paintings in many differing styles.  A smile sat upon his Roman face, and the finery he clothed himself in hung comfortably from his frame.  One could hardly tell that he was preparing for a journey of any sort, but he most certainly was.  The words of a particular old man in his court hung about his mind at all times, telling him that he would soon be pulled away from this world and brought into another, and as such he was prepared.  Clarent hung at his side in its scabbard, and a specially prepared pendant hung about his neck while he remained secure in the knowledge that his armor had been appropriately prepared so that he could summon it to him at any time.  For now, though, he was simply making his way down the hall and enjoying the peace and-

"My King!"  Came the cry that disrupted the quiet, but the familiarity of the voice had the young man turning about with a smile on his face.  Another young man, of similar age to the king, was standing a ways back clad in the soft leather tunic and linen pants he preferred when relaxing.  The two looked each other in the eyes, and a moment later they embraced like the old friends that they were.  "It is good to see you again."

"The same holds true for me, Galeas," the king replied as he pushed his friend away to hold him at arms length and look him over several times.  "I take it your return means that all is well on the Emeraldan Border?  And do call me by my name, we're friends and we're alone."

"When you say it like that, Moderatus," Galeas wore a smirk on his face as he spoke, "you make it sound as if we're involved in something we shouldn't be."  The knight laughed aloud as he saw his friend's face turn red with a combination of anger and embarrassment.  "I jest, my king, I jest.  But yes, all is well along the border."  Moderatus managed to calm himself enough that he was only pink, rather than beet red, and slapped his friend heavily on the back as he turned and led him down the hallway.

"Very good," he began as the two of them fell in step with each other, "it seems that things are finally settling down again."

"In no small part due to 'The Bastard King.'" Galeas responded, hoping to get a fresh reaction from his friend.

"And his loyal Knights." The king retorted, as he continued to walk along.  "Speaking of, I do believe the others have gathered in the banquet hall.  What say you to telling us all about your journey over a hot meal?"  Even as he spoke, the smell of fresh game being prepared wafted up from the kitchen.  He could tell there was Venison being prepared, and he felt his mouth growing moist.  Galeas could smell what was being prepared, and he chuckled at his friend before smacking his king on the back in much the same way as he had been smacked.

"Of course, my King."

This...

...this was nothing like the world that the Academy in the Sky was in...

The little black dragon pushed away some more rubble as she pawed forward, wings folded in as she sniffed around the ground looking for something. The sky above was a dull green with the ground below her paws a darker shade with many, many neon-green lines moving across it in the form of a grid. The place she was near, however, was once a towering building, some of the rubble revealing floor numbers over 500.

Picking up a rock with a clawed paw, she chucked it over her shoulder upon seeing a slight shimmer underneath it, revealing a pink crystal with an almost-white light under it. A small whine escaping her muzzle, she carefully picked it up in  her fangs, careful not to drool over it as she did, she placed the small crystal within one of the pockets of a modified backpack meant for a quadruped like herself. "Eef onwy..."1 Her fangs getting in the way of her speech once again, she continued going back to digging...hoping to find someone in the lonely world this realm had become...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 "If only..."

There were only a few words in the world that accurate describe the feelings that the blonde haired girl had had at the moment. Though only one truly encapsulated it, more so than any of the others. That word was "awesome." The feeling of what was to come, the start of whole new kind of life, and all the other little sorts of things that came along with this academy lifestyle. Among the crowd, Amber was one of the people who seemed to be of the more excited variety. Today was going to be the start of a new life, and the girl could barely believe that it had come so quickly.

As the jubilant young girl had stood there, it was at that moment that a shout had resounded throughout the entire ship. It was time to leave. Time to move out and off this ship. She could barely contain herself as she shot out of her seat towards the door, albeit getting a bit squeezed into the crowd as there were others of similar excitement who had all ended up crashing into each other. Regardless, the time for whatever this new place had in store for them was just now about to begin.     

It was in a world located far from the Academy's universe, Veirus was on an Island, Dancing with another woman in a competition, A Boombox playing some weird combination of Steel drums and a Bass guitar, Of course, Veirus's 'Dance' Currently was somewhere between the lines of 'Gangster Dancing' and 'some 2 year old throwing a major temper tantrum after his mother threw his favorite toy in the trash compactor', leaving quite a few people on the ground laughing. Veirus then looked at his tally, of course she had enough Cat's Eye Jewels to get a certain item she wanted, A Helmet that looked like a Chinese Dragon's head, complete with Glowing eyes and a pair of Horns, which she gladly traded for to complete her Dragon Costume for the Costume Contest that was being held Next Week, All she had to do was make it her colors and it would be good to go for the contest.

Revan sighed, he wasn't one for long journeys and the journey to the Academy in the Air was no exception. Looking at the academy it didn't seem that different in appearance to most of the other academies he had seen. Revan closed his eyes for a brief moment, but during that moment saw his suffering through his life. Opening his eyes again he saw that they were at the academy and some of the other students were shouting and remarking about mages who would be attending the welcoming party. He didn't like it, they were making to much noise and at the end of the day, the people they were shouting about were mages like them. Revan picked up his spear and cast a spell on it turning it into a shadow which only he could touch and see. Standing up Revan made his way over to the side of the air skimmer to disembark.

With all the students having left the Air Skimmer (willingly or not), there was inevitable chatter- which was calmed in an instant by a huge crash of electricity.

"Silence," Aquinas called. The man's English accent was entirely at odds with his distinctly French features- and an Orian wood cigarette holder dangled from his lip. At his side, a hulking metal skeleton with glowing red eyes stood menacingly- those rumors, at least, were true. "You are students of the world's most prestigious academy in the world, and your decorum had best reflect it. If not, well . . ." he grinned evilly, "let us hope you have learned a flight or featherweight spell."

Rhoda, the infamously sadistic Lady of Black Magic, stood nearer the head of the crowd, bored. "Come now, Aquinas. It wouldn't do to frighten the poor children prematurely. Besides, decorum is not an enforceable rule." At this, her familiar- a tall man with waist-length silver hair, rumored to be just as sadistic as his Summoner- nodded.

"In case none of you were aware," a voice called from behind the crowd, "if any of you steps out of line, you may either accept any punishment we feel necessary to delegate or battle us in dual combat- you and your Familiar versus us and ours." At turning to face her, the student body looked upon the Eastern Dancing Mage- the Lady Himeko. She, like the Headmaster, did not have her Familiar in sight- for good reason. If rumors were true, grown men had been driven insane merely by standing in the abomination's presence.

Headmaster Reign shook his head and raised a single finger, catching everyone's attention. "I apologize in the stead of your Professors- believe you me, I expected the raffle to result in at least one of the members of the welcoming party actually being welcoming." He smiled. "In any case, allow me to be the first to welcome the incoming class to the Academy in the Air. If you are here, this means my agents saw you and believed you capable of the greatest feats of magic. While they have been wrong in the past, I would hope that we do not have any failed Summons this year- or worse, Familiars that cannot be controlled in time."

The various crews of the Air Skimmer boarded and left, any luggage having been unceremoniously thrown to the cobblestone.

"With the non-adepts gone, I would like to lead the Summoning ceremonies." The students cleared a path, and a large area opened. One student stepped up to the Headmaster, who whispered something in his ear.

The young boy grinned, and pulled a small Orian twig from his pocket.
"Eirus, Flaejellei, Sinh, Purio, Dominé!"

A huge vortex of violet energy swirled before him, before a piercing column of light shot forth from it. After a brief second, the light ended, a young girl covered in armor in its place. Fortunately, she was unconscious- no resistance to the Contract spell.
"Dominé, Purio, Sinh, Flaejellei, Eirus!"

A silver mark appeared on the girl's exposed hand- physical proof of the Contract of the Familiar.

Headmaster Reign spoke up. "The Contract of the Familiar guarantees the following: your Familiar will always act in what they believe is your best interest, unless otherwise ordered; your Familiar will follow any direct order given; your Familiar may not travel further than 10 miles from your person; if you die, your Familiar is obliterated with you."

"Who is next?" Lady Himeko asked.

After the first student completed his Summons, Arn quickly stepped up next. He walked over to the Headmaster, who repeated the incantation used in the ceremony. Arn placed his hand on the pommel of his Orian wood sword, and spoke the words, "Eirus, Flaejellei, Sinh, Purio, Dominé!"

Same as before, a show of energy and light displayed itself in the summoning area. Arn shielded his eyes from the light, and when he lowered his hand he looked up at the man that appeared before him. He was dressed in fine clothes, befitting of nobility, perhaps royalty. The man was a head taller than Arn, and when Arn looked him in the eye, he noticed that his irises were a stunning crimson color.

Arn's hand tensed on his sword's pommel. He wanted to complete the Contract, but was compelled to ask, "Who are you?"

Having long slid underneath her modified backpack and making sure it wasn't hampering her wings, the black dragon with the silver-leaved ears took to the line-crossed sky of this corroded world, the destruction of the world visible from the air.

Many buildings of all sorts were destroyed. Natural formations that once existed, such as the flowing data-springs that errupted from the ground had now dried up and became hollow reflections of the past. Every so often, she would swoop down to get a closer look at a sudden glimmering, only to see another familiar gem before returning to her flight.

"Eviw mage,"1 she whined, recalling to the past just before the world became filled with the rubble it has now. It was fortunate that this was a world where food or water was unneeded, or else this little dragon would have long died a while ago.

NetMonsters, creatures comprised of a lightning-based form of energy known as data, had once evolved rapidly in this unique world, with 84 possible combinations of Attribute and Species before further evolving into individuals befitting them. This little dragon, the Thunder Dragon that instead looked like a Phantom Dragon, was one such NetMonster, but a special kind of one. Most NetMonsters are destroyed, absorbed, when killed. NetMonsters like herself, a Champion, doesn't truly disappear, at least not easily.

Something unusual appeared on the ground in her sight, causing her to swoop down with her guard raised high. It looked like a swirling of floating light in a color she had never seen before, bracing herself for anything. Unfortunately, her rust in combat, due to the lack of it in what she views as a long time running, stopped her from sidestepping a blast of light suddenly emerging from within it and hitting the Great-Dane-sized dragon. A high-pitched cry emerged from her muzzle as she tried flailing about, the light encompassing her and enclosing all around her. After a moment, she began to shrink further in size, the backpack with its various items falling the short distance to the ground below.

Once the light receded, what was left behind was a raw citrine-colored flower-shaped jewel with a vivid-white light in the center that thankfully wasn't that blinding to those who may dare look upon it. What looked like a thin vine of energy emerged from the swirling light, wrapping itself carefully around the jewel before pulling it in...

...it is possible that the dragon within would need a human's touch to be allowed to be freed once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 "Evil mage,"

Moderatus never got the chance to finish making his way to the dining hall.  Just as he and Galeas were about to enter the room, he was surrounded by a bright light which both he and his dear friend had some suspicions as to the nature of.  The king simply nodded to his friend, and closed his eyes as the knight stepped back to avoid any adverse effects that the spell might have on unintended targets.  A blinding flash of light filled the corridor, and an instant later the king was gone from that realm.

He was not destroyed though, but for a few moments he wished he had been.  Where he was at that moment was impossible, inconceivably, bright to the point that he felt like his eyes would burn out.  Every nerve in his body felt like it was on fire, and so he was wracked with intense pain.  So many sounds of so many different volumes filled his ears that he thought he would go deaf, and he smelled and tasted so many things at once that it was impossible for him to tell if any of it was real.  Just an instant longer, and everything ended.  He no longer felt like he was being overwhelmed, and all around him things had regained a sense of normalcy.  He could once more tell what was up, and a few moments later he regained his proper sight and hearing.  He stood out in a large open area, surrounded by people he could not recognize that were dressed quite strangely to him.  He was about to question them when he was asked something.

"Who are you?"  He turned his crimson gaze towards the source, a young man clad in armor and gripping a wooden sword in one hand.  The king raised an eyebrow at him, and wondered if he had hostile intentions.  Just as the lad gripped the hilt of his sword, so did Moderatus.  Still, he had been asked a question and he was far too polite not to answer.

"I am Moderatus, Son of Artorias and Morgana.  King of Britannia.  Pray tell, who are you, and what is this place?"

---

As the one that decided to go before him sorted things out with his new familiar, some man claiming to be king, another one in the crowd stepped forward into the cleared space to engage in the summoning ritual himself.  He stood at about average height, was clad in finer clothes than most present, and carried a large staff of Orian Wood bearing steel on its ends.  So far he had stayed towards the back of the group, boredly waiting for them to arrive at the Academy.  However, now that they had arrived he had good reason to be excited as the time for him to prove that effort had not been wasted in bringing him here was at hand.  Thus it was that William Blackmoore made his way forward and found a spot sufficiently removed from the rest of those present where he could perform it himself.  He gripped his staff in both hands, held it at chin-height in front of himself, and spoke the incantation he had heard from afar.

"Eirus, Flaejellei, Sinh, Purio, Dominé!"  The words flowed easily from between his lips, and for but a moment a great torrent of light poured forth from in front of him, and a wide smile formed on his lips as he knew full well that things were going smoothly for him in that moment.  Unfortunately, he did not have the sense to look away or close his eyes and so he was momentarily blinded when the summoning abruptly ended.  The young lad stood there blinking for a few long moments until he cleared his vision and looked upon the being he'd summoned.  It took him a few moments to realize that it was not some sort of draconic warrior but in fact a woman, presumably an elf by the look of her ears, dressed in armor styled after a dragon of some sort.  He couldn't be sure if she had maintained consciousness through the summoning, but he did not want to waste any time.  So it was that he brought up his mana to power the spell and spoke the incantation to complete the contract.  "Dominé, Purio, Sinh, Flaejellei, Eirus!"  With any luck, he would manage to invoke the contract without resistance from his new familiar.

The man spoke in a commanding voice, "I am Moderatus, Son of Artorias and Morgana. King of Brittania. Pray tell, who are you, and what is this place?"

A king? Seems I was right on the mark. "I am Arn." Before he could say more, he noticed another student quickly complete his Summons. It reminded him of the first student he saw, who formed his contract with an unconscious girl. Unlike her, this man was clearly awake and aware of his surroundings. Arn didn't feel right just forming a Contract then and there without the man's consent, especially one with the authority of a king.

He motioned around them with his arms. "You have been summoned here, to the Academy in the Air, where young mages go through schooling, as part of the new students' Summoning ceremony. We summon familiars, who are then bound to us with a Contract. I have summoned you here, to act as mine. But I cannot, in good conscious, do such a thing to an intelligent being, let alone a person, without consent."

Arn looked down and gave an ironic smile, muttering to himself, "I can't believe I'm about to do this." He reaffixed his eyes to Moderatus'. "Moderatus, King of Britannia. Will you serve me?" A bead of sweat fell down Arn's face. What if he says no? What do I do then? I doubt I'll get a second chance at this. "Tch." Arn drew his sword. "If not, I will subdue you by force, if necessary." 

Veirus had been walking in the palm trees for a while until her moment of silence, thinking about the costume contest was interrupted by a Pillar of Light, She was on the Verge of Saying something, before she saw a ray of Light shoot out, She knew that Attack was for her, so she jumped out of the way, She had drawn out her staff as she jumped, but before she could assess the threat, Vines of Light grabbed her by the legs, She said "For the Love of-" The vines pulling her into the pillar of light before she could finish that sentence...

The resulting Pain was in fact very intense, it felt like many stings as if she was engulfed by a Dragon's Fireball, however, it only made her simply just a bit queasy and nerve-wracked, she had been through much worse, but in an instant it had ended, and she had no idea where she was at. She simply pretended to be unconscious as she looked around, but then her ears perked when she heard an incantation, Her eyes snapped to look at a boy that it originated from, she could sense magic emanating from him "Dominé, Purio, Sinh, Flaejellei, Eir-" "Not on my Watch!" and at that thought, and as luck would have it, The Magic emanating from the poor boy reacted with Veirus's Counter-spell, Sending a shockwave out from her body that pushed the poor boy back, she stood up, and Pointed her Staff at the offending boy, If it wasn't any clear to the poor boy and likely everyone else, She was angry, as she was Shouting "You! What did you do to me!? What is this place!? And What were you trying to do to me just now!?"

The moment a violent Familiar appeared, long-practiced emergency protocols sprang into effect. Aquinas snapped his fingers, and his Familiar leapt behind Veirus, its powerful metal arms subduing her.

"If you move, I'm authorized to break your arms," the skeleton said, a senselessly thick accent coming from its jaws. "If you fight enough, Master will give the order for me to terminate you."

She found herself on the business end of Aquinas's cigarette-holder/wand, Rhoda's Orian wood-handled bullwhip, and a sword so long it was taller than its wielder.

"You may wish to reconsider your resistance," Rhoda's Familiar said quietly. "My blade alone has spilled more blood than is in your body, my Master has a bevy of spells that would make the Summoning ritual seem like a mild cramp, and we have a battle magic specialist with us. Hold still for the Contract to be sealed."

Veirus was almost immediately held on the floor by a giant metal skeleton after asking her questions, but even then, she knew she could still break out easily, her charge of Snap-cast was still at the ready, but after looking at the other end of the stuff, she listened to what they had to say, replying to what was said "You may wish to reconsider your resistance, My blade alone has spilled more blood than is in your body, my Master has a bevy of spells that would make the Summoning ritual seem like a mild cramp, and we have a battle magic specialist with us. Hold still for the Contract to be sealed." Veirus Fell silent for a moment, trying to register what he had said, but laughed at those words, she retorted with pride "Reconsider? Telling that to me, who had the right to panic about almost getting hit with unknown magic? Especially when my Shockwave Spell was set off in response? What are you? Madmen? Or perhaps the Cessair?... Besides, I've already got you beat in all your claims, and I don't even need to move for most of them..." She then fixated herself on the whole "contract" phrase, and boy did that take her back, she sighed as she said "... You could have said that before holding me down with Mister Metallic Meow-head to begin with... Can you please get him off of me? This mask is getting too hot..."

Aquinas's Familiar let Veirus go at that, and Rhoda's sheathed his sword.

Rhoda raised an eyebrow. "You began to get violent. We reacted. How stupid can you be?"

Aquinas nodded. "I cannot believe I am agreeing with this woman, but she is correct. You behave poorly, you receive poor treatment."

The Lady Himeko stood at the ready, the vague shape of her Familiar in the shadows. Suddenly, an aura of fear swept over the entire crowd. Summoners and Familiars alike began to shiver, reminded of their own fears. "Your presence is unnecessary, Turahk. Return to the aether." With that, the vague shape dissipated into nothingness.

"Stupid master of wordless casting," Aquinas muttered.

Veirus Sighed in response to "You began to get violent. We reacted. How stupid can you be?", She put her Staff away in the bag on her shoulder, and took off her Mask, allowing her Hair to breathe, and placing the Mask in the bag as the man who commanded the skeletal familiar agreed to the phrase, she was about to retort again when a wave of fear overcame her, but she ignored it, there was only 1 person she feared and she was out of his reach now, she then retorted "Ah, Where was I? Ah yes, Put yourself in my shoes, You suddenly get pulled into some unknown place, with some person about ready to cast some sort of spell on you that you don't even know what would happen if would have been cast to begin with, for all I knew, I would have mere seconds to live if it were casted? Would you have not done the same?"

Aquinas shrugged. "It is hard to empathize with a situation I will never face. In any case, know this- should you step out of line again, your Summoner will pay dearly for it. And, if he is displeased, he may kill himself. Given that your life is now tied to his, you may wish to keep him in good health."

The Lady Himeko grinned. "No, let her struggle, by all means. Turahk has grown restless recently, and I believe it's due to hunger. A half-wit Familiar and an incompetent Summoner would appease his hunger splendidly."

The Headmaster raised an eyebrow at the proceedings. "Now, now, let's not be hasty, Professors- neither Summoner nor Familiar has yet proven their worth. I suggest that, before we cast judgement, we let them face another duo . . . I recommend Alius and whatever she manages to Summon."

The three Professors were in agreement, and not merely due to fear of Reign's implacable Familiar. "The first Arena date in a week. Perfect."

The girl the Headmaster nominated, a girl easily half the age of any of the new adepts, looked downcast. "I don't have a chance," she muttered.

Her new Familiar, a spiky-haired young man, comforted her. "Don't worry, Master Alius. I can take down both of them if you need. You'll prove you're the best Summoner ever."

Veirus then shrugged at Aquinas's Statement about never going to face that situation and sighed "Poor fool, he's tempting her..." she thought, as Aquinas continued with a warning, she then decided to see if she could reach the Soul Stream from this plane... which she could not, she just shrugged and was about to say something in response when the Lady Himeko promptly decided to call her a "Half-wit", this prompted her to just laugh as if she was told the funniest joke in history, her face was beat red because she was laughing so hard. She calmed down a lot by the time the Headmaster calmed down the professors with an announcement, She and her summoner, who likely had yet to contract her as his familiar due to an untimely interruption at the last second, was to face a little child and her familiar, only to prove to her how much they likely underestimated her, but why not limit herself? it could pay off quite nicely if she had to go up against one of the weaker professors, but at the same time, she had to wonder about the Himeko's familiar, however, there was a matter to discuss, Veirus revealed the backs of her hands, as to counter Aquinas's warning with a simple movement, they had no symbol, the threats wasn't helping matters at all with her...

Revan walked towards the headmaster while at the same time re-materializing his spear. He was never one for trust, so was always on his guard around other people. Taking hold of his spear he spoke the chant "Eirus, Flaejellei, Sinh, Purio, Dominé!" Anticipating the light Revan closed his eyes slightly, enough to see but still able to block out most of the light. 

During the time the vortex was going of Revan thought about the last time he saw a light which first made him close his eyes like this. After opening them fully he saw the silhouette of a figure in what remained of the light. The figure seemed the be in armour and Revan's first reaction was to move his spear into a more movable position. "Who are you?" Revan asked when his curiosity got the better of him like it did when he stole a book on shadow magic. Not wanting to get into a fight in the grounds Revan decided to dematerialize his spear back into a shadow before waiting his familiar's reply.

William was anything but happy in that moment, and who would have expected him to be?  In the course of a little less than a minute, he'd been hit in the face by some magic from a misbehaving familiar who was then threatened, which made him very happy to have yet to complete the summoning contract, and before long he was insulted by one of the professors that had come to oversee the summoning ceremony.  What should well have been the best day of his life was proving rapidly to be one of the worst, but he managed to keep his cool as he stood up from where the shock wave had thrown him and took hold of his staff in one hand as the word of some sort of Arena challenge was put out.  That was an idea, but right now there was something else that needed dealing with.  To that end, he strode forward and came to stand beside the woman whom he had summoned to be his familiar.

"Help me get through this," he began, keeping his voice down so few others could hear what he was saying, "and I promise you a full explanation of where you are and what's going on.  Shouldn't be too tall an order for one as mighty as you to help me get through a fight like this, eh?"  He managed to keep his tone level, realizing that commanding her wasn't the best option right now and it was actually an asset that he didn't bind her to him immediately.  It let them act independently from one another, and he wouldn't have to waste his valuable mana on this one.  If everything went as he hoped it would, then he would prove victorious in the fight and she would be too weak to resist the completion of the contract once all was said and done.  "I, William Blackmoore," he began, raising his voice as he spoke, "do hereby accept the challenge set before my familiar and I by the Headmaster."

---

Moderatus was too busy with his "master" to pay attention to what was going on elsewhere, but if it was anything like he expected it to be after a failed binding of a summoned creature to one's will then there would soon be a mess.  His crimson eyes remained on the young knight before him, and particularly the drawing of the boy's sword as he faced him.  The idea that he had been summoned to be this boy's familiar, and in addition to that the thought that the boy was having second thoughts after summoning someone to fight for him, brought a smile to his face.  That smile of course soon turned into a thunderous laugh as the king brought his hand away from his blade and turned his face to the skies.  True, he was not that much older than the one before him but all the same the situation was so inconceivable to him that he simply found it hilarious.

"You can put your sword down, boy," he stated as he managed to get his laughter under control and took a moment to wipe away the tears that had formed in his eyes from the laughter.  "I must say, the boldness of your request does you credit, as does the respect you showed by not simply binding me to your will right away.  Young Arn, I would be happy to assist in your education in the ways of magic by serving as your familiar."  Before the mage could begin the incantation to seal the contract, the King raised his left hand with the index finger extended.  "On one condition.  By your garb I can see that you are a Knight, and as such you must always conduct yourself in a manner befitting one of such status.  Are these terms acceptable?"

Moderatus' laughter was sudden and boisterous, which threw Arn off guard for a moment. It lasted long enough to bring tears to the king's eyes, which Arn viewed with scrutiny. Is his laughter a sign of mockery? It's true, I don't give off that big of an impression, perhaps he believes himself too high and mighty for me. However, after hearing what Moderatus had to say, it was like a great weight was lifted from his shoulders. He withdrew his sword.

"When it comes to being a knight, I think that's about all I'm capable of." The notion of a familiar negotiating terms with his summoner was almost humorous, but Arn thought against laughing. "Then it's decided." Arn thrust out his hand, which Moderatus shook with a firm grip. Still holding on, Arn completed the incantation, "Dominé, Purio, Sinh, Flaejellei, Eirus!" A silver mark appeared on the back of Moderatus' right hand, in the same way it did with the other familiars.

"And with that, the Contract is complete. You are now my familiar, and I your master. It is an honor to meet you..." Arn said as he made a small bow, "...my King."

--------------------

As soon as the Black Knight stepped into the light of the Warp Powder, he knew something was wrong. He felt a pull on his body he'd never felt before, and after an instant of overwhelming sensations that seemed to reach to his very bones, he was in an unfamiliar place surrounded by unfamiliar people. He looked down to see a young boy, his robes easily identifying him as a mage.

"Who are you?" the boy asked. For a moment the Black Knight saw a spear in his hands, but the next it disappeared into darkness.

"I am known as the Black Knight, one of the Four Riders of Daein. To what realm have you summoned me, and for what purpose?" It was clear to the Black Knight what had happened. He had heard tales of the Outrealms, mystical worlds outside of their own. He was also familiar with the mage's practice of summoning a familiar to do their bidding. After scanning the area he noticed several people and creatures alike who gave off auras of great strength. It would not be wise to act hastily here, with so many potential enemies of whom I know nothing. He thought about reaching for his Warp Powder again. No, I can't guarantee its success. I've never been to any Outrealm, I don't know if it would be enough to return me safely.

The Headmaster decided to make a grand announcement of the new information. "Adepts- good news! The first Arena date for the year has been set! Adept William and his Familiar Veirus are to face Alius and her Familiar Kotaro!"

Chatter started among the students in instants.

"A little girl . . ." one muttered.

"Not a fair fight, I reckon," a young man snickered. "Little Alius don't stand a ghost of a chance!"

"Not true," another replied. "I heard she was accepted because she pioneered a whole new branch of magic. She may be a little kid, but she's probably smarter than you, Temmas."

"Bah, we don't know their Familiars yet," another reasoned. "I mean, they're a real turnin' point, ain't they? You pair a Water Mage with a Slime and suddenly everyone's running."

"Enough," Lady Himeko said quietly, silencing the crowd. She held a pendant clasped around her neck. "Turahk is still within arm's reach, should I desire to call him."

The courtyard grew so quiet one could swear they heard a baby crying on the continent below.

"Thought so," the Eastern Dancing Mage smirked.

Veirus had been whispered a proposition in her ear by the supposed person that she was intended to be his familiar "Help me get through this, and I promise you a full explanation of where you are and what's going on.  Shouldn't be too tall an order for one as mighty as you to help me get through a fight like this, eh?" Veirus's ears perked, something told him that he was gonna like this boy, so she dropped her voice, matching his volume, and said to him "Those half-wits need to learn that there are bigger fish than them... so I will go ahead with your proposition, I was hoping you'd ask anyway..." and with that, Veirus looked around a bit, basically enchanted by the surroundings "This takes me back... Sometimes, I wish Garris was here to see this~..."

Revan looked at the man who addressed himself as the Black Knight. Revan decided it was probably best to get straight to the point and try to fulfill the contract, "You have been summoned here to become my familiar. My name is Revan Kodama, a shadow mage who has been enrolled in the academy you are currently standing in. So do you, Black Knight, agree to become my familiar and train and work with me or will you decline?" After looking around quickly Revan saw someone mutter something about another not standing a chance. Revan frowned, realizing he couldn't do anything until his contract was completed. Looking back to the Black Knight, Revan awaited his answer. 

Archived