[Finished](lock) [Leaderboard] Dom vs CuriousHeartless - Dom wins

-Dom-

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading the new rules it seems that I can be in more than one 1v1 at a time now; even if I couldn't the person in 3rd (technically joint second) has 2 more wins than me and that's with old standings- I think I'm even further behind with updated ones. SO:

Ok, trying again to get a second win:

Voting:

• Votes must be with valid reasoning, going "Card A wins" won't do, follow the Leaderboard rules!
  • Voting is based on the functions they have in the game, meaning that you should talk about the effect, stats etc.
  • Good votes gets a rep from me, opponent's rep is optional.
  • Both I and the opponent have the right to decline your vote based on your comment or ask for further reasoning if either contestant feels that it's not adequate.
  • Both contestants can disagree with the others acceptance of the vote if they feel that the answer was no adequate.

Rules and Rewards:

• All YCM and 1v1 Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes OR whoever has most votes when the contest ends wins.
  • Winner gets a rep from the opponent, other rewards are optional.
  • Must fit in the rules of realistic cards on this site.

Entry Requirements and Theme:

• Spell/Trap support for a newish archetype (DUEA onwards)
  • Must be written OR made in YCM and remember to make sure that it's not possible to see who made the card, i.e. remove your name from it.
  • Send a PM to me with your card and remember to include text. Other information is optional.

Deadline:

• Entries are due 2 days after the challenger is accepted. Votes are due 3 days after it's open.

[spoiler='Card A']szwTAeR.jpg

When a face-down Defense Position monster you control is targeted for an attack: Shuffle that monster into your Deck; Special Summon 1 "Shaddoll" monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by a card effect: You can shuffle 1 "Shaddoll" monster from your Graveyard into your Deck.
 [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Card B']Melodious Magi-llusion
Continuous Trap
If the Special Summon of a "Melodious" monster you control would be negated by a card effect: You can Banish 1 card from your Graveyard; negate that effect.  [/spoiler]

Card A

As if Shaddolls needed more support... would be what I'd normally say, but this doesn't accidentally break them in ridiculous ways.

The main effect induces a Glad-Beast-esque tag-out, but needs the Set monster to be attacked first. So while it can toolbox any Shaddoll you need for the occasion, high chances you can't use it to rig an opponent's effect destruction attempt to get the perfect answer you'd need. You will most likely still get the Flip effect if the opponent proceeds with the resulting Replay and hacks away at the monster anyway. Either way, the restrictive timing means there are plenty of times when the opponent can safely destroy it.

But what happens when it's destroyed? Unlike the infamous Artifact Sanctum, you don't gain any immediate advantage off this. You do get to shuffle a Shaddoll from your Graveyard, but unless I'm seeing Shaddolls being played wrongly, you generally don't want them in the Deck, especially with Falcon being able to freely Set them out of the Graveyard. At least it's optional.

Card B

Getting to secure Melodious Special Summons are nice, but the way this card's effect is worded, it appears to only secure inherent Melodious Special Summons (you know, those that don't start a Chain).

The problem here is that a lot of inherent SS-negators tend to be Counter Traps - Spell Speed 3. This card won't work on them. Which sharply reduces the number of things it can insure against (one of which is Raioh). Not very healthy for its playability.

If you meant that it could also secure Chain-starting effects that would Special Summon Melodious monsters, then the activation condition would read: "If your opponent activates an effect that would negate the Special Summon of a "Melodious" monster(s) or a card effect that would Special Summon a "Melodious" monster(s):" And it might be a fair bit better in that regard since its anti-negation reach is a lot wider.

The Verdict

Vote goes to Card A for being clearer on when it can work, and still having a slightly better effect. Card B might be helpful with Melodious SS shenanigans in theory, but bad wording fudges up what it can work against and just hurts its overall usefulness until a much-needed errata is applied. Not to mention that players are more likely to answer the Melodious in other ways after their Special Summons have succeeded. Do ensure you have checked through the card for potential errors in how it can be interpreted before submission.

I'm going Card A. I want to say Card B so much. It really would have helped the Melodius a ton if it would be worded like Solemn Warning where it's also the effect, but unfortunately its just Thunder King & Roach Insurance now. I'm not necessarily sure I like the idea of that. Card A is definitely useful, although battle traps haven't been the best. This is probably the most reliable trap Shaddolls can get without being too strong, and for that I give props. I also take note that its one of the few fair Traps that punish a blind MST without it being the only effect. There needs to be more of those around

Both of these cards are simple, but useful, but I think that Card A is slightly more useful.

It can get out a Shaddoll monster you want, and it also has a Shaddoll-like effect for being sent to the Graveyard.

Card B just has a simple effect that is outclassed by other Spells/Traps. Not much to say about it.

My vote goes to Card A because it's would see more use than Card B.

Archived