The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

07jqgEP.png
(credits to banner to Yui)

[spoiler=An Introduction to EDH]This is a club/organization devoted to all things Elder Dragon Highlander (also known as EDH or Commander). EDH is a multiplayer format of Magic: the Gathering introduced back in 2004 by a panel of rules judges. The major rules of the multiplayer format are as follows. (1v1 rules may differ.)

1) All decks must contain exactly 100 cards. A 10 card sideboard is optional.
2) No non-basic land card may be used more than once, except where the card's ruling would say otherwise (ex. Relentless Rats).
3) One of those 100 cards must be your "commander" or "general." The commander must be a legendary creature. Other legendary permanents that turn into creatures or sufficiently unique non-legendary creatures are legal at the discretion of the playgroup.
4) The color identities of all other cards in the deck must not contain colors outside those of the commander's. A card's color identity is the combination of all colors of mana symbols in that card's mana cost and rules text. (For example, Ishkanah's color identity is green and black.)
5) Players start with 40 life.
6) Your commander starts the game in the command zone, from where it can be cast as per usual. If your commander would leave the battlefield at any time in any manner, you may instead choose to return them to the command zone. Each time a commander is cast from the the command zone, they cost 2 more generic mana for each time they have been already cast from the command zone in that game. (For example, if your commander is Azusa, she will cost 2G => 4G => 6G => 8G and so on.) This "command tax" doesn't affect being cast from one's hand, graveyard or library.
7) A player loses if they accumulate 21 points of combat damage from any one commander over the course of a game.

8) I am asking that you do not discuss cards from the leaked Ixalan foil rare sheet in here. There are a number of members, myself included, who wish to not spoil the set prematurely by discussing blurry, indistinct text. There are threads in the Other TCG forum in which you can do such.

A more in-depth look at EDH rules can be found here. If you're still lost, here is a well-written article that covers much of the stuff that's been left out above.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=More Helpful Links]http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php - The official rules site for the format.
http://www.reddit.com/r/EDH - The subreddit devoted to the game. Lots of good advice can be found here.
http://www.tappedout.net - Probably the best tool the format has. This allows you to post decklists, look up others that people have created, and analyze deck curves and color ratios.
http://deckstats.net/ - Another deckbuilding tool.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh - MTGSalvation's subforum for the game. It has a lot of intriguing discourse about the format in general, as well as a large repertoire of decklists.
http://edhrec.com - Input your TappedOut-hosted decklist here, and this site will give you a list of commonly-played cards you may have missed for your general.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Club Rules and Stuff]1) Be nice. We're all here for the love of the game.
2) When requesting to join, post your currently-run commanders and about how long you've been playing MTG.
3) Don't just c/p your list here. Host it on TappedOut and link to it in your post.
4) If you want to ask for feedback for a deck, make sure to at least talk about your gameplan, card choices, local metagame and max budget. This will help shape our recommendations.
5) Respect other people's gameplay decisions and attitudes: even if you disagree with them, they may still be valid.
6) Have fun![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Paper Banlist]Recently added cards are bolded. This list is only for the multiplayer format: the 1v1/French banlist differs. If you're looking for the online banlist, see below.

Any and all cards banned in Vintage
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Biorhythm
Black Lotus
Braids, Cabal Minion
Channel
Coalition Victory
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Fastbond
Gifts Ungiven
Griselbrand
Karakas
Leovold, Emissary of Trest (banned Apr. 24)
Library of Alexandria
Limited Resources
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Painter's Servant
Panoptic Mirror
Primeval Titan
Prophet of Kruphix
Protean Hulk (unbanned Apr. 24)
Recurring Nightmare
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Sundering Titan
Sway of the Stars
Sylvan Primordial
Time Vault
Time Walk
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Trade Secrets
Upheaval
Worldfire
Yawgmoth's Bargain[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Online/MTGO Banlist]As of May 3, 2017, Wizards has officially sanctioned 1v1/Duel Commander as an online format. To this end, a unified banlist has been made for both 1v1 and multiplayer EDH. Please note that the following list only applies to games played on MTGO: any other client, such as Cockatrice or XMage, should be assumed to use the paper banlist unless stated otherwise.

Ancestral Recall
Arcum Dagsson
Back to Basics
Balance
Bazaar of Baghdad
Biorhythm
Black Lotus
Braids, Cabal Minion
Channel
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
Doomsday
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Entomb
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Fastbond
Food Chain
Gaea’s Cradle
Gifts Ungiven
Griselbrand
Hermit Druid
Humility
Karakas
Library of Alexandria
Limited Resources
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Mind Twist
Mishra’s Workshop
Moat
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Natural Order
Necropotence
Oath of Druids
Painter's Servant
Protean Hulk
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Sensei’s Divining Top
Serra Ascendant
Sol Ring
Survival of the Fittest
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Time Vault
Time Walk
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Trade Secrets
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Zur the Enchanter[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Members]Current generals may be inaccurate.

Rinne - Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
Gadjiltron - Thassa, God of the Sea; Nekusar, the Mindrazer
Hanako Ikezawa - Maelstrom Wanderer
Rodrigo - Maelstrom Wanderer; Rhys, the Redeemed; Oloro, Ageless Ascetic; Prossh, Skyraider of Kher; Aurelia, the Warleader; Nekusar, the Mindrazer
Klavier - Feldon of the Third Path; Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker
Gokai-Red - Karador, Ghost Chieftain; Intet, the Dreamer
Poc - Ghave, Guru of Spores; Roon of the Hidden Realm; some random Boros guy
Giga - Lavinia of the Tenth; Melek, Izzet Paragon; Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind; Narset, Enlightened Master; Krenko, Mob Boss; Zurgo Helmsmasher; Wydwen, the Biting Gale
.Rai - Zedruu, the Greathearted
Dae - Sharuum the Hegemon
Volt - Keranos, God of Storms
Raeg - Aurelia, the Warleader
Talim Rave - Marrow-Gnawer; Arcanis the Ominpotent
Shinki - Zur, the Enchanter
Tojin - Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath; Zurgo Helmsmasher; Doran, the Siege Tower
Sixty - Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper; Wort, the Raidmother, Isperia the Inscrutable, Mistform Ultimus; Teysa, Orzhov Scion; Experiment Kraj
Yui - Marath, Will of the Wild; Krenko, Mob Boss; Omnath, Locus of Mana; Kaalia of the Vast
Lucina - Merieke ri Berit; Teneb, the Harvester; The Mimeoplasm
[/spoiler]

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd actually leave Aftershock in there. Otherwise you don't have many options for spot removal.

What I would cut is Steam Augury, the things you have listed minus Aftershock, and Shimmer Myr.

Then add in Vedalken Orrery, Leyline of Anticipation, Rings of Brighthearth, Basalt Monolith, Clever Impersonator, Blasphemous Act, Deadeye Navigator + any creature you can blink that untaps more than two lands, this slot usually being Palinchron, and Capsize.

You don't seem to be someone that is Anti-Stupid Combo, but if I'm wrong, take DENChron out of that list.

But with Rings of Brighthearth and Basalt Monolith you have infinite colorless mana, which I'm sure you can put to tons of good use.

Orrery and Leyline are better Shimmer Myrs that are harder to get rid of.

Clever Impersonator is Phyrexian Metamorph 2.0

Capsize is just too good. Any infinite mana combo that makes blue (DENChron, Rings/Monolith/Lattice) basically means 'bounce everybody's board'.

Blasphemous Act takes any token strategy and kills it with fire.

Definitely joining this.

I've been playing Magic for three years and at the very beginning, I didn't have any aspirations as to actually build a Commander deck. But then, in 2012, Planechase came around again, and this guy was introduced:

101.jpg

Needless to say, I fell in love. He has everything I like in Magic. Aggressive, huge body, able to win quickly by himself (don't even get me started on the combos these colors allow), and Cascade is probably my favorite mechanic ever, so much value to be had. It feels awesome when you reveal something along the lines of Frost Titan and Balefire Dragon in your cascades.

My money isn't infinite, so I dropped Modern (the most played constructed format in my city) in order to work on this deck. Today, two years after I started building it, I own six decks (that are due to some updates still):

Maelstrom Wanderer

Rhys the Redeemed

Oloro, Ageless Ascetic

Prossh, Skyraider of Kher

Aurelia, the Warleader

Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Now, Commander (multiplayer) is my favorite format, because it attends all my needs as a player: It's good for a collector like me, it's very fun, allows for very silly things to happen, and allows for a huge amount of combos.

Then add in Vedalken Orrery, Leyline of Anticipation, Rings of Brighthearth, Basalt Monolith, Clever Impersonator, Blasphemous Act, Deadeye Navigator + any creature you can blink that untaps more than two lands, this slot usually being Palinchron, and Capsize.

You don't seem to be someone that is Anti-Stupid Combo, but if I'm wrong, take DENChron out of that list.

I'll try Basalt/Rings out, because they combo with Nin to force two players to deck out, but not DEN/Chron, as both of those cards are ones that are generally frowned upon in my playgroup.

And Rod's been added!

We really should schedule some multiplayer games for us on Cockatrice. My city's EDH playgroup is almost dead so I play very little.

Weekends are usually when more people are available. What do you guys think?

I'd appreciate that, particularly because from February-June of next year I'm going to be working in Hong Kong and thus will be away from my normal playgroup. It would also give me an excuse to test lists that I'm working on (as long as people are willing to play to a similar level of competitiveness).

With that said, timezones for people? I'm currently on EDT (GMT -4) but once I move I'll be on HKT (GMT +8}.

Added, Boing(?)!

Also, made some quick updates to Nin. I only realized now that Rings of Brighthearth are ~$10, which is a mite out of my budget for a card that's primarily going to be a combo piece. Did make the following changes, though:

- Argivian Restoration, Empyrial Plate, Faithless Looting
+ Clever Impersonator, Hellkite Tyrant, Swiftfoot Boots

Additions to consider still: Blasphemous Act, Inkwell Leviathan, Mercurial Chemister, Vedalken Orrery

I've worked quite a lot on the Wanderer deck, so it's pretty much perfect in the way I wanted it to be. But all the other decks are up for improvement. Maybe we can start with my Prossh deck, which is my favorite deck to play with bar Wanderer.

Quick description of the deck: The main win condition is Xenagos + Prossh, which is an OTK (have Xenagos in play, cast Prossh, get 6 tokens, sacrifice all of them so Prossh becomes 11/5, go to battle and have Xenagos make Prossh 22/16 with haste). I'm not running a lot of tutors in the deck (because I only own one copy of each, i.e. Worldly Tutor is in Wanderer, Demonic Tutor is in Nekusar), so the combo isn't always the only way to win. I also run Purphoros which is backbreaking in certain conditions and cards like Blood Artist, that care about creatures dying. Above-average amount of ramp and the staple spells on Jund colors and we have the deck.

I've been playing since Innistrad, mostly modern for a competitive format.

I'm reassembling my Ghave deck since someone at my LGS decided to bust out the Damia infinite combo deck with deadeye and Palinchon. I decided to fight fire with even more degenerate fire.

Usually I play Roon flickerstuff or RW Sunforger-tron with whatever RW legend I choose for the game.

For Prossh, as much as I hate that commander, Puphoros or Pandemonium will do some serious damage as well as Altar of the brood. Throw in a doubling season or something and shit gets pretty scary. Blood artist lets you get tons of damage from saccing your tokens too.

Archived