[M:TG] Jace, Shadow of the Mind

Tesability Black

Whoo, s***'s about to get very-real in the GCRP (Grand Crossover Role Play, for those who don't know) for dear Jace Beleren, who wound up getting thrown into this strange mix of characters. Part of the RP deals with the past, the present and the future, and he's dealing with the present and his view of himself...and he doesn't think very-highly of himself...

The first ability is supposed to represent the fact that this 'thing' is in front of Jace when it manifests. And as for his last ability, nothing I did in MSE could make it fit right on the card...

JaceShadowoftheMind_zps9839fe0c.png

Jace, Shadow of the Mind
Cost: 2UB

Planeswalker - Jace
Starting Loyalty: 3

Effects:

~(Always active): This card may be on the same side of the battlefield as a Jace Planeswalker with a different name. If a Jace Planeswalker exist on the field when you play this card, his starting Loyalty becomes 5.

~+2: Draw a card. If a graveyard has 20 or more cards in it, draw 2 cards instead.
~0: Target player sends the top 10 cards of their Library to their graveyard, then draws a card.
~-10: You get an emblem with “Whenever you would draw a card, draw 2 cards instead” and “Whenever you would take damage, send that many cards from the top of your Library to your graveyard instead”.

Thank Giga for providing much more fitting abilities for this guy, though I added to the last one...

Ok, so in the paragraph at the beginning, you should mention that his abilities may be used at instant speed, otherwise the second ability does literally nothing unless you have Teferi's emblem.

His +3 either serves as terrible mill, or a -2 for ancestral recall. Ok, sure.
-X Does nothing, but is quite resonable at instant speed where it can actually work.
-15 is counterintuitive to the deck. If you are trying to mill the opponent out (see: first ability), then a fatty does nothing for you. Not to mention that he will be terrible at being a fatty, since you just lost 15 loyalty counters. Both Gideons become creatures at a 0, amd even then, the second one is incredibly weak. I feel a better ultimate would be giving an emblem with the effect of Though Reflection, or something similar.

First sentence in the first ability is redundant due to the new legend rule. Now, each player can control 1 each of a Legendary card, and if a new one would enter the battlefield the controlling player has a choice of which is kept and what is lost.

Technically, we are dealing with the planeswalker rule here, but anyway, this prevents one of them from being sacrificed.

Technically, we are dealing with the planeswalker rule here, but anyway, this prevents one of them from being sacrificed.

For the first ability, that's exactly what I was going for, since this is actually supposed to be a phantasm of all the guilt, possible self-hate and quite a few other negative emotions Jace has molded into one form. In a sense, this guy both is and is NOT Jace. However, the ability does not allow you to have two of these guys out. It's also why I have this as a UB card instead of mono-U.

Giga sent some better ability suggestions that fit the theme of beneficial self-destruction, which I will be making use of soon...

Archived