The YCM Magic: the Gathering Collaborative Set Project, Take II

bury the year

The YCM Magic: the Gathering Collaborative Set Project, Take II
(OR TYCMMTGCSPTII FOR SHORT)

My first attempt at making a collaborative set on YCM was a failure, but since I last posted that there’s been more interest/activity surrounding Magic, let’s try this again. Our goal here is to make a set of ~150 cards (about the size of a standard small set) that can potentially be the first set in a two-set block.

Battle Plan
i. Get people to help out. 3-4 people’d be fine to start.
ii. Choose the overarching theme/aesthetic of the plane. (See spoiler at bottom.)
iii. Flesh out details regarding places, races and central characters. An idea for the central conflict would help.
iv. Determine the “matters” theme. What’s important to focus on? Casting? Hybrid? Graveyard? How can that be incorporated into the setting?
v. Work on mechanics. Make a few new ones and determine which previously-exclusive ones we want to see return.
vi. Draft up a skeleton for the set, including number of cards and color/CMC distribution. Formation of cycle ideas and any possible reprinted cards should start here so we know how to incorporate them.
vii. Start making cards. Yaaaay!

Methods of Curation
• Post a design for a single card that shows off the flavor of our hypothetical plane and/or set, either through flavor or mechanics. Nothing generic: I want to see something that opens a window into this world and gives the reader a glimpse of what’s to come.
• Once accepted, post your card ideas here. We'll collaboratively tweak and test them.
• Finalized cards will be posted on MagicMultiverse.

Known Info
[spoiler="Things I know our plane will be having."]Absolutely nothing! 8D[/spoiler]
Victims Participants
Poc
Gadjiltron
Dae
Cirrus
.Rai

1920esque plane, I like it. An artifact theme would be ideal with the Industrial Revolution. I'm gonna guess you want to keep guns out of this? MTG has never really used them.

I can recall exactly 1 instance of a gun. Of course there might be more examples.

Portal Second Age was a weird place, and MaRo's said that was a big mistake to include guns. No guns.

Re: the artifact idea, I'd like to keep that to a subtheme, similar to how Shadowmoor implemented their scarecrows. Mainly because I feel like it's the "easy way out" for this setting. If there's enough support for it, I'm sure we can do it, but for reight now I'd like to explore alternate avenues.

Multi colored or mono colored focus?

Monocoloured, similar to Innistrad in set breakdown (so with a few multicoloured cards scattered in). I feel as if we do multicolour it'll be too similar to Ravnica. This set should focus on ally-coloured cards, so the second hypothetical set would focus on enemy-coloured ones.

Sure, add me! In retrospect, there's a lot that could have been improved with the first attempt. I vow to see a completed collab set at least once!

1920s feels a tad narrow compared to Innistrad. Innistrad certainly had influences from England and most Germanic countries, but importantly had the advantage of never-ending horror tropes to build its flavour. Still, love the theme and there's definitely a way to pull it off.

Sure, add me! In retrospect, there's a lot that could have been improved with the first attempt. I vow to see a completed collab set at least once!

1920s feels a tad narrow compared to Innistrad. Innistrad certainly had influences from England and most Germanic countries, but importantly had the advantage of never-ending horror tropes to build its flavour. Still, love the theme and there's definitely a way to pull it off.

Added! Do I have you on Skype? We've been brainstorming a bit. The main problem right now is figuring out the X in "X matters." Thoughts?

Uhhhh, since we're not getting the activity I thought we would be, I'll start with some discussion points. What kind of flavor tidbits would you like to see in this world? I think worldbuilding would be a good jumping-off place. We can even pull from videogames and other media with similar aesthetic if that helps. (:

I mean, my go-to references regarding 1920s are Art Deco, The Great Gatsby, and more recently Transistor (art style was cyberpunk injected with heavy, heavy doses of Art Deco).

I mean, I'll have to brainstorm a bit to see what mechanical theme this leads itself to. I'm kinda stumped, the flavour doesn't lend itself to anything specific.

I mean, my go-to references regarding 1920s are Art Deco, The Great Gatsby, and more recently Transistor (art style was cyberpunk injected with heavy, heavy doses of Art Deco).

I mean, I'll have to brainstorm a bit to see what mechanical theme this leads itself to. I'm kinda stumped, the flavour doesn't lend itself to anything specific.

Two themes popped up in chat:

1) Industrialization. No plane so far (except for Ravnica a bit) has confronted those issues, particularly in having a plane in transition.
2) Commerce and trade. I know gold counters were a thing from one of the designer searches, and maybe that could be reimplemented to some degree? Could keyword gold tokens (like those on Gild or King Macar) to that degree.

Archived