[Finished][YDF] Designer Contest - Overwhelming Shadow [Finished]

Darj

Part of the Card Contest segment of the Yugioh Designer Format. For more general info & such about the YDF, look here.

Requirement
Make a Level 5 or 6 generic Flip monster. It should not be a Ritual, Synchro, Pendulum, or Fusion monster as those are yet to be introduced to the format.

Deadline
January 16th.

Entry Fee
None.

Prizes
1st -  250 points + 1 rep
2nd - 150 points
3rd -  100 points

The top card will get into the YDF. Other cards might be added in the current or future set if they are good.

Judging Criteria
The card will be judged based on how it would act in the YDF, not the TCG, so you should look over the current card set here.
The main criteria are:

Design

Philosophy

Balance

Bonus points for:

Flavor

There will be no numerical scores. Also don't worry about OCG. As long as it is understandable, we can get it fixed. Make sure to explain how your card is meant to work if you suspect the OCG is not clear enough.

The judging process will be that the submitted cards are posted to the main YDF topic & skype chat, we discuss the cards, and we will make the final verdict for the winner based on that discussion.

Since we are going to be playing and designing in the format with this card, it is of our interest to get quality entries, thus I will give feedback on the cards posted or ask asking for clarifications, before the deadline, so they can be properly fixed and/or optimized on time.

Notes on YDF Design:

Removal in general is much weaker. For high-level monsters especially, removing them can be quite costly and usually involves modifying things ATK/DEF to punch them. A new keyword/mechanic we have for this is sunder: Sunder <target> by X - {Reduce the ATK and DEF of target by X. If the DEF of the target is 0 after this effect, destroy the target.} Sunder can be used on targets with 0 ATK &/or DEF. If used on a target with 0 ATK, DEF is still reduced. If used on a target with 0 DEF it will be destroyed.

Drawing, Summoning non-specific cards, and Searching typically come with restrictions to avoid it enabling more of those and spiralling a turn into a silly instant-board-fill-combo. Because of this, searchers/consistency-boosters are less dangerous to the format, but should also follow these limits.

I recommend you to look at the current cards to get a better idea of what we have, what's going, and any potential interaction with the card you make. For instance, a Sea Serpent monster would benefit from card #78 in the spreadsheet, "Lurking Serpents".

and I'd like to note we currently have three contests running at the same time, so go have a look at that sub-section and consider entering!

As you wish.

[spoiler='Entry']

Hqzys8d.jpg

FLIP: You can target 1 monster on the field; return it to the hand. Once, during your opponent's next Standby Phase, if a monster was returned to the hand by this effect, its controller can Special Summon 1 monster from their hand whose Level is equal to or less than the returned monster's Level on the field.

If you control no monsters and your opponent controls a monster, you can Set this card without Tributing.

Pretty simple here, a temporary bounce that can surprise your opponent when they attack that only face-down monster you control, expecting a Level 4 or lower monster. Though with that re-SS, your opponent may get even more benefit from SSing something more useful that have their eff go off when SS'd. So this card is basically high risk-high(?) reward card.

Also, by saying "the returned monster's Level on the field", I didn't make any wording mistake. If you return a face-down monster whose Level can't be identified, then that monster's owner will not get that re-SS eff (even if that monster was previously face-up and was Set by a card effect), though by this card's nature, having a chance to return a face-down monster (bar Setting an opponent monster by any mean, which could be considered investment anyway) is arguably really hard since it will let your opponent play at least 2 turns ahead of you, whether Set without Tributing (your opponent have a monster(s), you have none, and yet you Set this card) or Tribute Set, so I think this free bounce could be considered a nice punish for too-much-defensive deck.

[/spoiler]

Card looks fine but I think its DEF could be higher, considering that, while you have monsters, you would have to Tribute Set it, and paying a Tribute for a 1200-DEF bouncer doesn't feel like a good deal. Yes, it has its non-Tribute Set condition, but you must be at disadvantage to apply it, which more or less keeps it balanced while allowing you to make fair comebacks. Something like 1800~1900 DEF in exchange of a -100~200 ATK drop should be fair in my opinion.

Card looks fine but I think its DEF could be higher, considering that, while you have monsters, you would have to Tribute Set it, and paying a Tribute for a 1200-DEF bouncer doesn't feel like a good deal. Yes, it has its non-Tribute Set condition, but you must be at disadvantage to apply it, which more or less keeps it balanced while allowing you to make fair comebacks. Something like 1800~1900 DEF in exchange of a -100~200 ATK drop should be fair in my opinion.

You know, I really like how you guys keep pointing the flaw in each entry and let us edit them freely, leaving the best designed final result from each contestant to clash with each other.

Edited.

Oh! Oh! I'm not hosting this one so I can join it! :D

Moqcmnt.jpg

Blind Rage Serpent

WATER/Sea-Serpent/Effect/Level 6

2300/1800

If your opponent controls no set Spells/Traps, this card can be set with no tribute, its ATK/DEF are reduced by 400.
FLIP: If your opponent controls 2 or more monsters: they select and destroy 1 monster they control.

So, ideally Devpro will keep track of the reduced stats so the physical tracking of it won't be an issue.

Potentially you can flip this manually, get a trigger with RE-Flip, and a third with Lurking Serpents for a very satisfying strafing run, although one that gives some control to your opponent and requires setup. 

How RE-Flip's lingering destruction interacts with something being flipped face-down is important to this card. I'm assuming it's still destroyed with this design. 

It's obviously designed to have fun with Lurking Serpents: If your opponent attacks it with a single monster on the field, you can flip it into attack with Lurking to suddenly become more beefy and able to destroy the attacking monster, and it can also disrupt plays where they expected to go into an XYZ or such due to suddenly forcing your opponent to strip down their field during their setup.

The free-set clause is because it makes a lot of sense with the current card pool to have one: Otherwise it might be too obvious what a tribute-set card is, unless it was going to be a Shield-Tail Dragon or such? The reason why I picked the condition I did was to encourage some set backrow - set backrow's the main way to interact with the opponent during their turn, and I've always got a bit of a grumble against Decks that don't use them and play solitaire. 

Memoir Phantom

Fiend - Flip - Effect | DARK | Level 5

FLIP: Target 1 Monster in your Graveyard (except "Memoir Phantom"): Special Summon it in Face-Down Defense Position. If that monster was Level 4 or lower, when this face-down card is sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon this card from your Graveyard in Attack Position, but it cannot manually change its battle position or be Tributed.

[ 1900 / 1400 ]

W5b0dH5.jpg

Blind-Rage Serpent

This one looks solid in my opinion, Plus it takes advantage from "Lurking Serpents"

Memoir Phantom

This looks too slow. It needs other Flips on the grave to work, or sets them up for a second copy of it, but then you have to wait until you draw/search said copy to properly use it. Then it has too low stats for a card that requires a Tribute.

Now that I think about it, the effect is not generic, so it doesn't follow the requirements of the contest.

Sky Channeler

I looked at the standard ATK/DEF values for monsters in YDF, and now I think that this could get away with slightly higher ATK or DEF values, and a balanced 2000/1800 may not be ideal. Besides, you can hardly use the effect offensively because of the second effect. I suggest to go for a DEF of 2200~2300 for more reliable blocks, or an ATK of 2200 for beating after flipping her up.

Oculus

Like Memoir, this is not generic. Also the effect doesn't make sense: you target the monster and then... what?

Not sure if this classifies as generic or not. (If not could you maybe explain a little more what you're looking for?)

3RqUDTF.jpg

FLIP: You opponent may let you add 1 Spell Card from your Deck to your hand to negate this effect, otherwise, return all face-up cards your opponent controls to the hand.
During either player's turn, when exactly 1 face-down Defense Position monster you control is targeted by an opponent's card or effect: You can discard this card; negate that effect, then flip that monster into face-up Attack Position or face-up Defense Position. You can only use each "Serendipity Wizard" effect once per turn.

A pretty powerful flip effect, but no way to SS itself face-down.

A little built in protection for other face-down monsters you may have to help insure a flip effect goes off.

I gave it somewhat lower ATK to help balance with it's flip effect.

hdKEeeM.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Double any Battle Damage your opponent takes when they attack this monster.
FLIP: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; switch ATK and DEF of that monster.
[/spoiler]

I was confused a little by the sunder term, but just to make sure, I do not have to use that term for switching the ATK and DEF of a monster, right? I am not sure if this fits in very well, though.

Oculus

It is stil a non-generic Flip monster

Serendipity Wizard

The first effect feels too strong for the current state of YDF. I suggest to go for something else.

The second effect feels fair, and a nice way for speeding up flip effects. However, this would only benefit flip monsters and its variants that want to be flipped face-up, so in a way it is not as generic.

Rediscovered Masterpiece

This card looks solid.

Ambushing Mantis

Earth

Level 6

Insect/Flip/Effect

2400/700

If your opponent controls a monster with 2500 or more ATK and you control no monsters, you may normal set this card without tribute. When this face-down defense-position monster is targetted for an attack by a monster with 2000 or more ATK, change it to face-up attack position.

FLIP: Target one monster; Sunder it by 800.

Broadline Infuzier

LIGHT

Spellcaster/Effect

6/0/1900

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned (but can be Normal Set). 

FLIP: Activate one of the following effects, depending on how this card was flipped:
~Battle: If this card is destroyed by battle: banish this card and 1 monster from your Graveyard; Gain Life Points equal to half the combined total of both monsters' original ATK.

~Card Effect: Draw 1 card and reveal it. If the revealed card is a monster, both players gain Life Points equal to its DEF.

~Flip Summon: Target 1 monster on the field (if possible); destroy this card and that target (if there was a target), then both players gain Life Points equal to the total ATK of the monster(s) destroyed by this effect.

Edited.

@SirFred131 did you happen to base that card off of the already existent YDF card "Ambush Spider"? because (no joke) they seem to work together really well!

Anyway, here's my card though flip effects aren't my forte:

[spoiler='Ashwing Drifter']lCfA7aA.jpg

Lore: FLIP: monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF.  Once per turn during either player's turn: you may discard a card to flip this card into face down defense position, then you may randomize the position of all face-down defense monsters on your side of the field.

[/spoiler]

Memoir Phantom

Could you explain how the second effect works? After flipping it face-up and reviving a Level4 or lower, do you you have to flip this card face-down again to apply its second effect?

Oculus

It is too strong now. The conditions for Normal Setting it is easy too fulfill, and the permanent steal effect is too much. I suggest to water the stealing effect down.

Ambushing Mantis

This one is solid. I think it would be more fair to raise the self-flip condition to 2500 or more ATK considering its 800-Sunder effect and to not heavily punish a weaker monster by dropping its ATK to up to 1200 and crash it with a 2400-ATK beater.

Stealth Infuzier

The first effect make this card decent, but the rest are underwehlming. I think the on-effect flip should be the most rewarding, followed by the Flip Summon effect, not the other way around. Since the battle effect looks fair enough, you could improve the rest. Hmm, in retrospect, the battle effect may be a bit too good as a problem solver easy to set up (you just need to set it); maybe you could swap the battle effect with the Flip-Summon effect, so if it survives a turn and you Flip Summon it, you get to go for 1-for-1. The on-effect flip could defnitely be better, because more often than not you will need to spend a card to flip it up.

Ambushing Mantis

This one is solid. I think it would be more fair to raise the self-flip condition to 2500 or more ATK considering its 800-Sunder effect and to not heavily punish a weaker monster by dropping its ATK to up to 1200 and crash it with a 2400-ATK beater.

Attacking a face-down monster with something that has 2k attack is a very safe move. A flip effect monster is going to flip up no matter what you hit it with, so if you have two monsters and you're going to attack into a man-eater bug you should attack with the stronger monster to guarentee that either your weaker monster's attack goes through or you can keep your stronger monster. If you attack with the weaker of the two, you lose both your stronger monster and your opportunity to attack after killing the bug. Similarly, if the opponent sent a monster with high defense, the stronger monster is more likely to destroy that monster, and if it fails you will take less damage than if you had attacked with the weaker one, with no other change. Very few level four monsters have more than 2k defense, I'm not sure whether or not YDF has any of them. Given that, if you have a monster with 1500 attack and a monster with 2000 attack, unless those extra 500 points of battle damage on the direct atttack are vital, it's much safer to attack with the monster with 2000 attack. In fact, if there is no monster with more than 2k def, there's no reason not to attack with your 2000 monster if you don't have another monster in play. You wont take damage from the battle, and any flip effect monster can just be flip summoned. Even a monster that wants to die by battle will need to be killed eventually, and could even attack you on its own turn.

Ambushing Mantis is designed to do two things. The first is to provide a counter to a single strong monster simply beating down everything, but the second is to mess up the logic on that. If you have a mosnter with 2000 attack and one with 1500 attack, and you attack with the 2000 attack monster, mantis will flip, either your mosnter will be hammered down to 1200 and then you'll be hit for 1200 battle damage Or you'll be hit for 400 battle damage and your 1500 attack monster will be sundered by 800, losing more than half its attack and potentially dying. On the other hand, if you were to attack with the monster that had 1500 attack, the mantis would not flip until the damage step. You could certainly use Mantis effect to sunder the 1500 attack monster bringing it down to 700 attack, equal to Mantis's defense, but since the flip effect wont apply until after damage calc, it wont matter. Mantis will die anyway.

Attacking with something that can kill Mantis first involves the risk of attacking into something that isn't mantis, and will hurt you or have its effect be more valuable when you hit with a weaker monster first. Attacking with something that is strong enough to not care about much of anything that is not Mantis involves the risk of being killed by Mantis. If the effect said 2500+ instead of 2000+, there would be a large band (including many level 5-6 monsters) that could safely kill Mantis and also something that was not Mantis.

The issue in YDF is that the bigger monsters usually require investment, either Tributes, Equips or ATK boosts, so Ambushing Mantis could single-handedly remove a monster the opponent invested on, and that's where it becomes more or less unfair. If the opponent attacks with a weaker monster that he/she didn't invest much on, then it will be punished hard by Mantis, as the flip not only will weaken it, but also the flip to Attack Position will force it to crash; or you could weaken another monster and the attacking monster will still crash if it is weak enough. Either way, Mantis will punish the opponent relatively hard. And with its Normal Set condition, it arguably makes it more unfair, as you can Set it with no cost except for the Normal Summon/Set of the turn.

Raising the ATK limit will allow more monsters to attack Mantis safely, and thus make Mantis easier to counter, which, considering the above, it's a fair thing to do in my opinion. Besides, at the very least it will Sunder an opponent's monster by 800, a decent reduction that more often than not should be enough to render the monster that killed it easier to handle.

EDIT: Misunderstood the effect for a moment: It won't punish weaker monsters as hard as I thought. Although raising the ATK limit would still make it easier to counter, I don't think it is that necessary after all. Also, in retrospect, punishing monster with high ATK through Mantis may allow you to make an slight comeback, which is not exactly a bad thing for YDF.

Ashwing Drifter

This looks underwhelming. It's a 2300 wall that can flip itself face-down and stack boosts on other monsters, but at the cost of a discard for each flip. It needs other monsters on the field to be used to its maximum potential, but with no other monsters it is nothing more than an average wall that requires a Tribute. I suggest to at least make the ATK boosts higher so it pays off the discards. Something like 500~600 ATK may be enough to make a difference.

Archived