[YDF] Designer Contest Series 5 - Challenge Mode

-Griffin

Welcome to the Designer Contest Series, the Card Contest segment of the Yugioh Designer Format. For more general info & such about the YDF, look here. We're almost done with the format's first set, only 3 cards remaining and all of them from card contests, and this is the last.

Task
Create a Rank 4 XYZ monster. It's Summoning requirements should be 2 level 4 monsters, and its effects should not reference specific types or attributes of monsters.

This is difficult. Since most Decks can make it, this will almost certainly be the most seen monster, probably card, in the format. Your post should include at least a brief description of why it's well designed, good for the format, fun, or generally anything to support the card.

Entry Requirements
There are no entry requirements, but the card will be judged based on how it would act in the YDF, not the TCG, so you should look over the current card set, here.

Deadline
This is intended to be a fairly short contest. It will close when I wake up on Sunday extended: Tuesday morning and make the closing post. Cards can be changed until that post.

Entry Fee
None, the objective of this is to make an awesome game format, not shuffle about silly internet points.

Prizes
The top card will get into the YDF. It's very likely a runner up makes it in too, so that people have a choice of which rank 4 to make.

Judging Criteria
The main criteria are Design Philosophy and Balance, with bonus points for Flavour and Clarity. There will be no numerical scores. The judging process will be that the submitted cards are posted to the main YDF topic & skype chat, we discuss the cards, and I will make the final verdict for the winner based on that discussion. I'll post some general comments on things that stuck out, but will give more detailed feedback on individual cards if requested.

Since I'm going to be playing and designing in the format with this card, I want them to be as good as possible, so I will give feedback asking for clarifications or pointing out major flaws in any cards I see before the deadline so they can be changed. Post your cards sooner rather than later - can only help them score higher with a bit of feedback. 

Notes on YDF Design:
Removal in general is much weaker. For high-level monsters especially, removing them can be quite costly and usually involves modifying things ATK/DEF to punch them. A new keyword/mechanic we have for this is sunder: Sunder <target> by X - {Reduce the ATK and DEF of target by X. If the DEF of the target is 0 after this effect, destroy the target.} Sunder can be used on targets with 0 ATK &/or DEF. If used on a target with 0 ATK, DEF is still reduced. If used on a target with 0 DEF it will be destroyed.

Drawing, Summoning non-specific cards, and Searching typically come with restrictions to avoid it enabling more of those and spiralling a turn into a silly instant-board-fill-combo. Because of this, searchers/consistency-boosters are less dangerous to the format, but should also follow these limits. 

Look at the current cards - there aren't that many yet so what's there will be very important.

Previous Participants:
Here are the people who've participated in previous contests in this series, with a score : 3 for each win, 2 for a runner up, 1 for posting a card or hosting a contest.

Updated for contests 3&4

-Noel-
6 -Griffin 
5 Nobility
4 Seattelite
4 yugiohcreator876
3 Talim Rave
Zeaux
3 Tinkerer
2 Sleepy
2 SirFred131
2 Divinedragonknight
1 Bringerofcake
1 UnendingEmpire
1 Necloth Exomirror
1 Nyleas Prophet
1 Jamesmuddy

*Le sigh* XYZ's are also not my forte.

In fact, this is the first one I've made!

[spoiler='Bryte, Shaman Mistress']PDSQedw.jpg[/spoiler]

2 Level 4 Monsters
Normal Summoned/Flip Summoned monsters you control gain 50 ATK x their level.  Once per turn, during either player's turn, you may detach 1 material to lower the ATK and DEF of your opponent's monsters by 100 x their level until the end phase.

As the YDF thus far relies on battles as their major method of dealing with monsters, this one card changes the entire flow of battle.  The 50 ATK/DEF boost is only granted for Normal Summoned or Flip Summoned monsters, rewarding you if you make the effort to use your summons wisely.

The detaching effect is one based around the old bully card "Burden of the Mighty".  With your cards getting the little boost plus a reduction of the opponent's cards, this card could help take down stubborn boss monsters or radically powered-up monsters your opponent controls.

As this card would probably be the one seeing play most, it is critical that it would not completely dominate the game or cause players to have the mentality of "whoever gets this card out first, wins".  That said, this card is also very encouraging and provides some time for buildup.

Finally, it is not a completely offensive nor defensive card.  It is one that truly varies depending on how the player chooses to use it.

It may look like it does a lot but its not so bad once I break it down.

This card is meant to be used in sort of a Level 4 "Toolbox" deck.

[spoiler=Card]

L2Av1f6.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
The first time each Battle Phase, when a Level 4 monster you control attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step. If this card would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can detach 1 Xyz material from it instead. During your Standby Phase: You can attach 1 Level 4 monster from your hand or side of the field to this card as Xyz material; then you can choose a different Xyz material attached to this card, and either return it to the hand or detach it. You can only use this effect of "Dancing Prodigy Yent Irb" once per turn. When an Xyz material(s) is detached from this card, all Level 4 monsters you currently control gain 300 ATK. 

- The first effect helps make sure at least 1 of your attacks goes through each battle phase.
- With its low stats I felt it needs some build in protection so it can protect itself by detaching 1.
- Detaching also helps power up your Level 4 monsters.
- It also has a rather unique ability to "recycle" Level 4 monster by allowing you attach and reattach at will. 
[/spoiler]

Some critique would be appreciated. :)

1Qyb8DS.jpg
2 Level 4 monsters
During either player's turn, when a monster(s) is Summoned, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Sunder the Summoned monster(s) by half their original DEF. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Target 1 Level 4 or lower monster on the field: Return it to the owner's hand.

I just thought I would try to make it as balanced as possible. Generic Rank 4s are hard.

Also, I submitted a card in the Big Boss contest so shouldn't I have 1 on the scoreboard thing?

[spoiler='Entry']

R9ZSN9F.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters

If this card attacks, it is changed to face-up Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. When this card attacks: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step, also ATK and DEF of the battling monster(s) become their original ATK and DEF. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation.

So we're still with my 2600 or more DEF fetish, and I tooooootally didn't design this card based on that initial point.

Ahem, welp let me introduce our 2k beater who slays the enemies through imaginary time. (Totally didn't use my Weeaboo knowledge). When Horatia attacks, she'll shift from real time to imaginary time where she's the only one who's able to move (hence Armades-esque) and can move backward and forward along the real-time scale (see description here) (and hence return to original state; stat reset).

Children card game-wise, YDF seems to focused on battle, and the most popular methods used by many cards seems to be Position switch and Sunder, so I utilize 1 and counter another. When she attacks and you decide to detach, she'll stop your opponent from doing anything until the end of the damage step, make sure her attack go through and prevent even Flipping and Floating effects, but that's not all. She'll also reset her stat and (if battling a monster) an opponent monster's stat, which is handful in case she's Sundered and/or opponent's monster got some huge boosts. Though her ATK maybe a bit low for R4 whose main purpose is to beat something, but her 2400 DEF and how she could switch position on her own after attacking make it harder to take her down. The easiest way of Sundering her won't do much either, given she still have Xyz Materials left. With all of these effects and that DEF, she is pretty versatile and can be played at anytime of the game, when your opponent have a face-down monster or some face-down Spell/Traps with that malicious grin, when your opponent somehow stacked permaboosts on... say Devouring Dragon and turned it into a 3k+ beater with only 1400 original ATK, or even when you've finished your BP, have nothing else to do with those 2 Level 4 monsters and kinda want a wall.

Edit: Ignoring whatever I've said on Skype when I was sleepy and tired from studying, a 2200+ Armades that can be made just by 2 Level 4 sounds too powerful for the format when I reconsidered it carefully, so I keep her name and ATK and only reduce her DEF to 2400 as suggested.

Rulings

- The "ATK and DEF of the battling monster(s) becomes their original" effect activates during the attack declaration, resulting in face-down monsters that have built-in boost or some certain effects that boost only during the damage step/calculation are unaffected by this effect (those monsters still affected by "your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step" effect).

- Similar to TCG's Dante and some crab out there, if this card's attack was negated by a card effect, it still change to Defense Position at the end of the BP.

[/spoiler]

Contest extended until Tuesday so there's more time for entries and because I took forever on feedback.

I'm gonna give the same feedback to all entries here: They're generally solid on balance, but this is a card that really needs to embody design. Something that heavily promotes interesting deck building, interactivity between players, or just an effect that screams 'fun'. 

Here is my entry.

PJFjEJ4.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']2 Level 4 Monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Both players toss a coin once. If a player's result is Heads, all face-up monsters they control gain 100 ATK x its own Level/Rank, and if their result is Tails, Sunder all face-up monsters they control by 200 x its own Level/Rank.
[/spoiler]

Why is it well designed?
It is well-designed because both players have the risk of losing or gaining the same amount. Not only that, but the effect's influence is very minimal and can only really hurt a player if their current monsters have a high Level/Rank, which would mean that the said player would most likely have the advantage.

At first, I was thinking to Sunder/gain 200 ATK x its own Level/Rank, but I decided it was too much. (Even if it was for the price of 2 Level 4 Monsters.)

Why is it good for the format?

The card promotes the alternative of Xyz Summoning as well as altering ATK, ultimately guiding the players (and perhaps other cards) to focus mainly on battle destruction rather than effect removal.

Is it fun?

In my opinion, gambling elements of Yu-Gi-Oh!, such as Time Wizard and Barrel Dragon, is a big attraction in itself. Having both players perform something is also a great way to get players involved with eachother: i.e. the basic form of interaction. This card tempts the player to use it with its 50-50 cost/benefit effect. Not only that, but it adds to the thrill of whichever player gets Heads or Tails, which can decide the duel. 

Concerns
I feel like it will not have that big of an influence because its effect is very simple and average.

Cool.  Here's a second entry!

hn1yXlf.jpg

2 Level 4 Monsters
Both players skip their draw phase as long as this card is face-up on the field.  The turn player draws 1 card during their End Phase.  A player cannot conduct their battle phase the turn they Special Summon a monster.  Once per turn, you may detach a material to sunder all monsters by 500.  For every monster destroyed by this effect, you may special summon 1 "Dust to Dust Token" (Fire/Pyro-type/level 1/ATK 0/DEF 600).  It cannot attack.

Seems like a fairly solid entry. Can keep the pace of the game under control a bit with the battle phase thing, but I'm still looking for a card that really pushes some good design principle - helping comebacks, ending dead games, inspiring Deck variety, promoting interaction and mind games, all that fun stuff.

So, we can post a second card? 
Man, Xyz Monsters really are rough. I am not sure if this card is any better than my previous entry, but I decided to be more aggressive with how much power to give something.

esgZAPj.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']2 Level 4 Monsters
This card gains 200 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn, if this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card can make a second attack in a row. You can only control 1 "Saintly Savage".[/spoiler]

So this card, in summary, punishes your opponent for having more monsters than you.

I like that one. It's potentially a bit strong with the 2600 ATK if you don't use its effect, so setting the original ATK to 2000 might help. Beyond that, it gives a choice of weakening its beater-ability for its other effect which is nice. I do like that it helps with comebacks without being absurd. Nice card. 

> was gonna shut down and go to bed

> somehow entered YCM for the last(first?) time of the day

> saw new posts in Card Contests.

> saw ppl submitting 2nd cards

> looked at my timezone and deadline

> Conclusion: 2early2sleep.

[spoiler='Entry']

So with my first entry being a solid beater, now I want to try a solid wall, and

helping comebacks, ending dead games, inspiring Deck variety, promoting interaction and mind games, all that fun stuff.

with that in account, I made this.

9tnOGCf.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters

If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, you can also Xyz Summon this card by using a face-up Level 4 monster you control as an Xyz Material. You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; banish 1 card from your Deck face-down, then your opponent activate 1 of these effects. You can only use the effect of "Liang the Wise Strategist" once per turn.
● Your opponent add the banished card to their hand, then you draw 1 card.
● Your opponent send the banished card to the Graveyard face-up, then they gain 1200 Life Points.

Wording Note: "Your opponent" in the choices actually mean "you", since it's your opponent's PoV.

Flavor should be obvious, so no description here (for now, maybe added tomorrow) as I want to finish this fast and go to bed.

A generic 2200 wall that can be Summoned easier by using only 1 Lv.4 monster while you're losing. With that I guess helping comebacks and ending dead games are both checked, but to confirm that, I gave her a searching ability which could help you get a combo piece you need to turn the situation around or setup said piece for your play while recovering some LP. This tutoring is quite gimmicky, as it let your opponent decide which will happen, either you get any card you want while they also get something new or you lose that certain card you banished while getting a decent LP recovery and maybe Grave setup if you deliberately picked a card that want to go to Grave, and that's promoting interaction and mind games for me. So what's about deck variety? Of course, the more variety of cards in your deck, the harder predicting for your opponent.

[/spoiler]

Finally came up with something that may work

tjw8pud.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
Once per turn, when the effect of a monster is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card OR 2 if the monster was not on the field; the activated effect becomes:
Your opponent selects and applies 1 of these effects:
* Draw 1 card.
* Target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand.

Cards that negate something tends to be something powerful or even broken. So instead of a walking negator monster I tried to make something balanced but useful, by not negating effects but simply turning them into another one, or better, two. Can it be better? Yes, because if the target was a monster your opponent controls YOU get to choose what the effect will be. Special mention is that it can also be used on your monsters for advantage, sure is your opponent that chooses the effect but either of them are powerful enough to plus. That's why the name "Mesmerizing", it confuses the opponent in what effect it can become: Let my opponent draw a card or return a card to my hand? And what can make him even more powerful is that it can negate the effect of a monster from anywhere, so no effects that activate on hand, graveyard or anything else. You must use 2 Xyz material for that thought so it becomes a only once effect and to be balanced and not a copy of Dolkka (< hate the design of that card btw).

Thinking on the other card now.

I like that one. It's potentially a bit strong with the 2600 ATK if you don't use its effect, so setting the original ATK to 2000 might help. Beyond that, it gives a choice of weakening its beater-ability for its other effect which is nice. I do like that it helps with comebacks without being absurd. Nice card. 

Glad you like it. I compromised for a base ATK of 2100 so that its maximum ATK would be 2500. Also, just to let it use its effect and still be able to run over some tribute summoned monsters.

[spoiler=Entry]
So with my first entry being a solid beater, now I want to try a solid wall, and

9tnOGCf.jpg

Wording Note: "Your opponent" in the choices actually mean "you", since it's your opponent's PoV.

Flavor should be obvious, so no description here (for now, maybe added tomorrow) as I want to finish this fast and go to bed.

A generic 2200 wall that can be Summoned easier by using only 1 Lv.4 monster while you're losing. With that I guess helping comebacks and ending dead games are both checked, but to confirm that, I gave her a searching ability which could help you get a combo piece you need to turn the situation around or setup said piece for your play while recovering some LP. This tutoring is quite gimmicky, as it let your opponent decide which will happen, either you get any card you want while they also get something new or you lose that certain card you banished while getting a decent LP recovery and maybe Grave setup if you deliberately picked a card that want to go to Grave, and that's promoting interaction and mind games for me. So what's about deck variety? Of course, the more variety of cards in your deck, the harder predicting for your opponent.[/spoiler]

Really like the concept, not sure if the opponent would really ever pick the first effect given the current card pool, though.

tjw8pud.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
Once per turn, when the effect of a monster is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card OR 2 if the monster was not on the field; the activated effect becomes:
* Draw 1 card.

Cards that negate something tends to be something powerful or even broken. So instead of a walking negator monster I tried to make something balanced but useful, by not negating effects but simply turning them into another one, or better, two. Can it be better? Yes, because if the target was a monster your opponent controls YOU get to choose what the effect will be. Special mention is that it can also be used on your monsters for advantage, sure is your opponent that chooses the effect but either of them are powerful enough to plus. That's why the name "Mesmerizing", it confuses the opponent in what effect it can become: Let my opponent draw a card or return a card to my hand? And what can make him even more powerful is that it can negate the effect of a monster from anywhere, so no effects that activate on hand, graveyard or anything else. You must use 2 Xyz material for that thought so it becomes a only once effect and to be balanced and not a copy of Dolkka (< hate the design of that card btw).

For this, I need some clarification on who selects the effect and who they resolve for.

Beyond that it seems like a solid card that means you might want to reveal what monsters you have in a different order than normal. Fun to think about.

Here's my card!

[spoiler="Star Ressurector"]uvXOZrj.jpg

2 Level 4 Monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material monster to Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard to your side of the field.
[/spoiler]

This one just feels too strong. As a generic Rank 4 who isn't made as a beater, you probably shouldn't go over 2300 ATK, and the revival effect should be more restricted in some way - either when you can use it or what you can target. Maybe something to do with level to match the name and that nice art?

i'm entering if its not too late

[spoiler='Reflective Crystal Golem']

Hk2ZI3g.jpg
Lore:
2 Level 4 monsters.
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card then target 1 face-up Spell/Trap card on the field; Attach it to this card as Xyz Material.During either player's turn, when an attack is declared involving this card and your opponent's monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card that was originally a Spell/Trap card; Apply these effect based on type of card detached:
-Spell: This card gains 500 ATK and DEF until the End Phase.
-Trap: The opponent's monster loses 500 ATK and DEF until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

Not a fan of that in a format where we've gone out of our way to keep MST/ect out of the format so that Equips & field spells could be more meaningful.

There will be no more feedback at this point: My next post will be closing the contest. Cards can still be changed/submitted.

Really like the concept, not sure if the opponent would really ever pick the first effect given the current card pool, though.

My first excuse is future set. 

As for current cardpool, there are some cards that actually do something in Graveyard or use some resource from there. Examples are Staff of Necromancy that let you banish a monster from your Graveyard and absorb half of its ATK, so if you have said card in your hand and managed to use Liang's eff, you can banish something like Hero King with 3100 ATK and have your opponent choose between you get the set's big boss or ditch it for a huge 1550 buff from Staff. Lurking Serpent or Quickdraw Shield are also nice candidates to be banished, since if someone followed your logic and immediately sent the banished card to the Graveyard without thinking, either Quickdraw would turn Liang into a huge 2700 wall or you'd get an instant access to Lurking Serpent while your opponent don't get their free draw!

Using her eff while you control a face-up Wyvern Lich Lord is also considered a mind game and an interesting one, since said monster allow its controller to Normal Summon from Graveyard, and if you banished monster and have your opponent choose, there's no different for you other than LP recovery but it's draw or not for opponent. With that being said, you are more likely to get the card you banished to your hand, whether it's monster OR NOT! Yeah, what I tried to say is basically "banish S/T while you control a Lich Lord" strategy, hilarious yet effective.

For this, I need some clarification on who selects the effect and who they resolve for.

Beyond that it seems like a solid card that means you might want to reveal what monsters you have in a different order than normal. Fun to think about.

If you use it in a monster your opponent controls, you choose what effect to activate. If use in a monster you control, your opponent chooses the effect to activate.

Btw, the art of Ressurection Star was already used on a card of our Set (Lightninh Lord Medium, don't know if that's the right name)

So, we can post a second card? 
Man, Xyz Monsters really are rough. I am not sure if this card is any better than my previous entry, but I decided to be more aggressive with how much power to give something.

esgZAPj.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]2 Level 4 Monsters
This card gains 200 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn, if this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card can make a second attack in a row. You can only control 1 "Saintly Savage".[/spoiler]

So this card, in summary, punishes your opponent for having more monsters than you.

> was gonna shut down and go to bed
> somehow entered YCM for the last(first?) time of the day
> saw new posts in Card Contests.
> saw ppl submitting 2nd cards
> looked at my timezone and deadline
> Conclusion: 2early2sleep.

[spoiler=Entry]

9tnOGCf.jpg

A generic 2200 wall that can be Summoned easier by using only 1 Lv.4 monster while you're losing. With that I guess helping comebacks and ending dead games are both checked, but to confirm that, I gave her a searching ability which could help you get a combo piece you need to turn the situation around or setup said piece for your play while recovering some LP. This tutoring is quite gimmicky, as it let your opponent decide which will happen, either you get any card you want while they also get something new or you lose that certain card you banished while getting a decent LP recovery and maybe Grave setup if you deliberately picked a card that want to go to Grave, and that's promoting interaction and mind games for me. So what's about deck variety? Of course, the more variety of cards in your deck, the harder predicting for your opponent.
[/spoiler]

tjw8pud.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
* Draw 1 card.

The three winners, in order. Top 2 going into the set.

Archived