[MtG] Temple to the Fire King

Forest Fire

Literally god mode in basically every deck with R ever. Even if your deck isn't particularly heavy into R, a land that taps for {3} on turn 2 is ridiculous, especially one without any considerable drawback. Consider that City of Traitors is one of the best lands in Legacy, blows itself when another land comes in your control, and only taps for {2}. Or Ancient Tomb, which hits you for 2 for {2}. Even if you can't play non red spells with it, doesn't it make more sense to only be able to cast multicoloured spells with red? The way it's currently worded I can tap it for triple red and then cast basically any multicoloured spell ever. I'm also going to be a critic and say while Wizards have started to give the "Ritual Spells" to Red and not Black, I identify that type of effect as Black just because of Dark Ritual, then again I'm a purely Legacy player so by all intents and purposes I'm waving my rose tinted glasses of the days of Dark Ritual and Swords to Plowshares.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Like, legit I would run 4 of this in basically everything until it gets banned in basically every format. Even if you aren't playing R. This is some Urza Block level s*** bro.

mfw it isn't even Legendary.

What I'd do with it:

Temple to the Fire King

Legendary Land

Temple to the Fire King enters the Battlefield tapped unless you pay {R}. 

{T}: Add {R} to your Mana Pool. Temple to the Fire King deals 1 damage to you.

{R}: Add {RR} to your mana pool. If you control 3 or more mountains, add {RRR} to your Mana Pool instead.

Uh, yeah, this is broken beyond belief. There are only two other lands I can think of that make 3 mana like this. One requires you to sacrifice two other lands. The other regularly costs $600+. I'd first suggest you remove the weird initial clause and just have it always enter tapped. As for how to fix the mana generation, the flavor text hints towards sacrificing creatures. (And yeah, name sounds legendary.) Maybe...

Temple to the Fire King
Legendary Land
Temple to the Fire King enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}, Sacrifice an untapped creature: Add {R}{R}{R} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast red spells or activate the abilities of red permanents.

Not sure of the balance still, but this looks relatively more sane.

Uh, yeah, this is broken beyond belief. There are only two other lands I can think of that make 3 mana like this. One requires you to sacrifice two other lands. The other regularly costs $600+. I'd first suggest you remove the weird initial clause and just have it always enter tapped. As for how to fix the mana generation, the flavor text hints towards sacrificing creatures. (And yeah, name sounds legendary.) Maybe...

Temple to the Fire King
Legendary Land
{T}, Sacrifice an untapped creature: Add {R}{R}{R} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast red spells or activate the abilities of red permanents.

Not sure of the balance still, but this looks relatively more sane.

yeah. this and force of shadows were bouts of temporary insanity. thanks for the fix though, it is relatively less insane. 

I don't know if you've realized this, but Lands use a different border than all other cards, regardless of mana they can produce.

It's become a lot more tame now, though it's not exactly a good land to draw into all the time, seeing that it can't produce mana without creatures to sac. Would letting it produce a single colourless (or red) mana hurt?

i didn't really like the like the gray-scale border that mtgcardsmith gives lands, and i thought a red border was more fitting. also not sure if there would be room to add in just a regular "tap add one red" or "tap add one colorless". also my blood sugar is low right now, so i'll see about that as soon as i've dealt with my blood sugar

Last little fixes are in order.

{t}: Add {r} to your mana pool.
{t}, Sacrifice an untapped creature: Add {r}{r}{r} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast red spells or activate the abilities of red permanents.

Always use colons to separate activated abilities from their costs. Additionally, land effects should go in order from smallest to biggest.

Archived