[Card Discussion] Cherodei Sepianoza

Valkyrus

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should I leave Sepianoza as-is or change her?

• Leave as-is
    • Change (suggestion)

d7vMFQb.jpg

When this card is Summoned: You can equip up to 2 Spell OR Trap Cards from your Graveyard to this card (the equipped cards' effects are negated). Increase this card's ATK x200 for each card equipped to it by this effect. Once per turn, you can: Return 1 card equipped to this card to your hand; that card or cards with the same name cannot be activated for the rest of the turn.

This is the latest fix I've given her and would like some final input till I'm certain everyone believes she's a fair card.

Opinions are appreciated and opinions of people who've actually faced her are even more appreciated.

Edit:
fix 2:

gZuCtHL.jpg

When this card is Summoned: You can equip up to 2 Spell OR Trap Cards from your Graveyard to this card (the equipped cards' effects are negated). Increase this card's ATK x200 for each card equipped to it by this effect. Once per turn, you can: Return 1 "Cherodei" card equipped to this card to your hand; that card or cards with the same name cannot be activated for the rest of the turn.

FIX 3:

xCZXRVx.jpg

When this card is Summoned: You can equip up to 2 "Cherodei" Spell/Trap Cards from your Graveyard to this card (the equipped cards' effects are negated). Increase this card's ATK x200 for each card equipped to it by this effect. Once per turn, you can: Return 1 "Cherodei" card equipped to this card to your hand; that card or cards with the same name cannot be activated for the rest of the turn. 

To be honest, reducing the number of targets to up to 2 was the first idea I got for balancing it, but I agree with Lovely Day that being able to recycle power cards should still be an issue. Limiting her effect to 2 archetype Spell/Traps should be fair enough. That would also kill her splashablility along Dark Renewal as well.

I didn't think it was that bad till it can fetch all kinds of staples. Dark Hole, Rageki, etc.... Or in my case Solemn Warning.

How about it just fetches all of those archeytpe specific cards so cards that are put at one stay at one for that reason.

To be honest, reducing the number of targets to up to 2 was the first idea I got for balancing it, but I agree with Lovely Day that being able to recycle power cards should still be an issue. Limiting her effect to 2 archetype Spell/Traps should be fair enough. That would also kill her splashablility along Dark Renewal as well.

How's it look now?
Makes me want to tech Zephyros for the hell of it now

You could be a pro and tech Sepianoza in Aliens for Cosmic Horror Gol'gar abuse. In all seriousness, I think maybe making it only equip Cherodei Spell/Traps might be best, just to prevent any other interaction being missed

Honestly, if you take out Sepianoza and right after that Gol'gar you deserve that win.

I remember being whiny about it on our duel.
At the time, it was equip 5 and you pulled all the staples from the graveyard.
Which sorta made me feel like killing myself since chedorei archetype already had invinsible field presence (if I recall right it was magus, some other thing and this at god knows how much atk and geist)
Correct me if I'm wrong but you used to pull around 2 synchros or xyzs a turn, and geist was recurring every turn for a reason that's honestly beyond me,
Now, with all of that together - the duel was a pretty traumatizing experience to phrase it lightly.

This, besides being a recycler - creates a pretty strong front (3000) that in combination with magus becomes a quick push for game. How about making it wall instead? 1200/2600
All it loses is the otk capability.
Good luck!

I remember being whiny about it on our duel.
At the time, it was equip 5 and you pulled all the staples from the graveyard.
Which sorta made me feel like killing myself since chedorei archetype already had invinsible field presence (if I recall right it was magus, some other thing and this at god knows how much atk and geist)
Correct me if I'm wrong but you used to pull around 2 synchros or xyzs a turn, and geist was recurring every turn for a reason that's honestly beyond me,
Now, with all of that together - the duel was a pretty traumatizing experience to phrase it lightly.

This, besides being a recycler - creates a pretty strong front (3000) that in combination with magus becomes a quick push for game. How about making it wall instead? 1200/2600
All it loses is the otk capability.
Good luck!

Well, Sepianoza has been changed sinced then, as you can see in the latest fix. Also she's the only beatstick the main deck has, so I'm not changing that. The deck has enough defenses and not enough aggressive plays outside of battle, so if I make her a wall it'll turn into a stalling deck with no winning condition.

And you remember wrong. There are really close to no ways to synchro/xyz  twice a turn here, because Sepia has a hard OPT clause now and is the main synchro/xyz engine along with Geist. What you might have seen is me summoning Magus and Sepianoza in the same turn, which is totally normal.

2 beatsticks at the price of my hand/field isn't exactly something unheard of. (unless this game was a veeery long time ago when Geist didnt negate the SSéd monster's eff and Sepia wasn't hard OPT, in which case, yeah, things could get quite crazy.)

Also, Geist is part of the main engine of the deck, of course it would often play a role. People have compared the engine with Satellarknights for that reason.

Well, Sepianoza has been changed sinced then, as you can see in the latest fix. Also she's the only beatstick the main deck has, so I'm not changing that. The deck has enough defenses and not enough aggressive plays outside of battle, so if I make her a wall it'll turn into a stalling deck with no winning condition.

And you remember wrong. There are really close to no ways to synchro/xyz twice a turn here, because Sepia has a hard OPT clause now and is the main synchro/xyz engine along with Geist. What you might have seen is me summoning Magus and Sepianoza in the same turn, which is totally normal.
2 beatsticks at the price of my hand/field isn't exactly something unheard of. (unless this game was a veeery long time ago when Geist didnt negate the SSéd monster's eff and Sepia wasn't hard OPT, in which case, yeah, things could get quite crazy.)

Also, Geist is part of the main engine of the deck, of course it would often play a role. People have compared the engine with Satellarknights for that reason.

I can attest to this. Having played the Deck yesterday, it can wear out resources over time, but the Magus/Noza board is in no way an OTK engine, and in fact, has some weak points. Strong play? Hell yeah, but usually Valk has no hand when the play is completed, which means you have a few usually 1 or 2 free turns to get your Castel/101/Mistress to take the field apart. If fact, seeing how Valk likes to use Sepia's effect the turn he summons it, Sepia is left at 28, to which any DARK or LIGHT Deck has a free one shot kill at both monster in the form of Reaper Princess - Mithra. (Shoutout to Toyo) Seeing how you like to play those Marco, keep that in mind :)

I was one of the ones (if not the only one) who equated the Giest play to Satellarknights. Back when I went against the deck that is what I happened. While I kept killing the simple one off plays of Xyz and blah...They just kept doing the Geist thing. Granted it was annoying, but I couldn't really complain since I don't make decks/archetypes with any kind of meta in mind. I like the casual gimmicky stuff.

As for the card...Seriously...why can't it literally just go in the grave and attach two archetype specific spells or traps? I mean now it screams must run Zephyros and the same problem as before continues. Well its actually worse because zephyros turns from a +1 to a +2. Staples (especially the trap ones) that are at one shouldn't get a cheat code to be used again.

I was one of the ones (if not the only one) who equated the Giest play to Satellarknights. Back when I went against the deck that is what I happened. While I kept killing the simple one off plays of Xyz and blah...They just kept doing the Geist thing. Granted it was annoying, but I couldn't really complain since I don't make decks/archetypes with any kind of meta in mind. I like the casual gimmicky stuff.

As for the card...Seriously...why can't it literally just go in the grave and attach two archetype specific spells or traps? I mean now it screams must run Zephyros and the same problem as before continues. Well its actually worse because zephyros turns from a +1 to a +2. Staples (especially the trap ones) that are at one shouldn't get a cheat code to be used again.

Well, since 3 people have already asked for that I can't argue over it, I'll change it. I still don't think it's a problem though since 1-Zephyros should be run at 1, if ran at all, and his eff is once-per duel. Also, this doesn;t change the fact I can still use him, he just can't bounce limited cards. And the biggest danger would be to use the 1 zephyros you have in grave to bounce a limited card you had in your grave (that you have 1-of in your deck and isn't searchable), and being able to do that once per duel. Other uses include the Gol'gar combo mentioned, which is something you need to test to find out if good or not first. I just don't see the "so broken. Must nerf harder" need. I wanted to keep it that way so I don't have a dead sepianoza if I don't have Cherodei S/Ts in grave, but I guess that's asking for too much.

I wanted to keep it that way so I don't have a dead sepianoza if I don't have Cherodei S/Ts in grave, but I guess that's asking for too much.

Yes math is definitely not on your side, but there in lines the actual problem. Powerful impact cards that have been on and off the banlist make it so that the one time that they are used should be enough to change the game around. I always lambast anything that repeats this game changing process in anyway. This is the same reason why I loathe that Poker Joker thing.

Though the real problem I had though was that the third correction seemed to just try its hardest to bypass the clear suggestions everyone gave. Second, how can this be dead? There are seven archetype specific cards spells and traps in the set. The main one, Archives, literally sends spells to the grave to function or seraches spells that will be used. How does a deck of composed of this archetype have more non-archetype specific S/T than archetype specific S/T. This monster...at no point should actually be dead (except maybe early game).

(except maybe early game).

There it is.
The only Cherodei S/Ts I can realistically  use  first turn are Archives and Explosion 

Though now that I think about it, the only play it waters down a bit is the Dark Renewal one (one of the only non-Cherodei S/Ts I run), if I do it first turn.
But I guess it's a really small setback not worth complaining about.
So I can assume, with this last fix, it's all good?

Also, I definitely don't bypass suggestions. As you can see by the fixes and having made this thread at all. I also have the right to question people's opinions until I am outnumbered. In which case I have no choice but to listen. Giving in to others' suggestions too easily can make a card bad quite fast.

Archived