Yooka Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

Agro

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well okay then.  This is starting to sound a bit, "Let's make it as much like Banjo Kazooie as humanly possible." 

I guess that's good?

Yea, thats how I feel. I get trying to tap into the nostalgic reserves that Banjo is in, but they can end up pushing it too far. The game does need its own identity. I'm sure it will have one, but it can get muddied if they go to close to Banjo.

One good thing is that these are seasoned veterans.  A lot of failures have been people who never made a game before.  (Yogventures etc)

Pretty much this. These guys know what they are doing. Non-zero chance it can't live up to the insane hype it has going for it now, but that is partly to it being so hyped. I'm sure the game will be good.

They should have set the funding for a week or less.

At this point, they'll just keep needing to come up with stretch goals to keep people satisfied for over a month lol

Yea, the rate this is getting money is insane. It will slow down after a while, but might not for a while.

It's absolutely hillarious to follow this now when they've smashed all (original+2) stretch goals they've set so far, and there's still over a month left for aditional funding. The middle finger for what Microsoft did with Rare seems to only get bigger by the hour (*Phil Spencer crying himself to sleep in the distance*), and the hype for the game itself is only growing, because with this level of support, I'll be damned if they dont manage to deliver on it since the release isnt even planned for this year.

The best joke is that I fully expect Microsoft to announce a Banjo-Kazooie game at E3.

End of the Microsoft conference.

Spencer on stage.

"Well then everyone, it is time to finish off by introducing you to someone who was wronged in the past."

A huge 3 just goes on screen.

"We would like to re-introduce to you. Banjo and Kazooie."

Former Rare/Playtonic employees get on stage with him.

[spoiler=]"Make your own Banjo and Kazooie adventure in Project Spark."[/spoiler]

Now I'm beginning to be entirely worried that this game is getting overhyped.

I'm seeing a LOT of good things, so it's not unfounded. But with this much money being poured in, I don't think they can keep up with expectations once leveraged against how much money they're getting.

This'll be one of those "we'll have to wait and see" type of games, won't it?

I'll be okay once they announce that there's no way they finish this by October.

I dunno, to me it seems atleast plausible considering it's next years October we're talking about, and I think they've already talked about the possibility to hire more people into the team given the ludacrous ammount of support they're getting.

Biggest issue I see is they might end up promising to much in terms of additional goals if they keep going at this rate, but maybe that's just optimism talking.

Well, this was part of the update they made today:

"First, a disclaimer: We’ve attentively followed your feedback since the Kickstarter launched and we’re acutely aware of the concerns surrounding Kickstarter ‘bloat’. Backers can be assured that the Playtonic team is comprised of vastly experienced game developers, and we’ve carefully planned our stretch feature pledges to ensure that they won’t negatively impact on the creation of our game.

These are very ‘much’ dream extras that with additional budget we’ll be able to add to the Yooka-Laylee package with minimal disruption to our core work."

From the new update:

c0d548f3d47f0d9b2df6f53850237c9a_origina

As the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter campaign ascends to even more spectacular heights, it’s high time we introduced you to the game’s first support character: flash, wheeler dealing serpent, Trowzer!

Trowzer is a business-snake whose career never took off. Not that he knows it – the smug, serpent salesman thinks he’s the bee’s knees (not that he has knees), and for a little dosh he’ll teach you some of the slick moves he picked up on the high-stakes sales floor. 

Yooka-Laylee’s creative lead, Gavin Price explains: “Trowzer thinks of himself as the best salesman ever, but with his downbeat appearance and 1980’s mobile phone, life never took off for him.

“He’ll take your money and count it (he’s an Adder…) and because he knows best he’ll even demonstrate the moves you just bought for you to replicate… if you can follow his jiggling.” 

Character artist extraordinaire, Mr. Steve Mayles described the design process behind his latest creation: “I didn’t want him to be a snake in the traditional sense, and when Gav suggested he should have shorts on (do I have to add shorts to all of my characters?!), a great idea for this was his body could curl back up through the other leg hole. So he’ll move with a certain springiness, which will be fun to animate.”

We've got an orchestral soundtrack, now:

1f0af08e301dce8a38beaa08ab8f2a11_origina

When the update mentioned DLC, I was annoyed that they already had plans for DLC even if they were giving it out for free. But they say they'll only start work once they release the full game first, so I guess they got all their bases covered.

Oh. My. Sweet. Jesus.

I think I just felt the part of my brain centered on nostalgia just explode all over the place. <3

As with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, I'll be backing with my heart instead of my money, which really matters.

Archived