[Discussion] Card Ideology

CocoaGalaxy

Uhm Hai folks?

Well it's kinda unilateral for now, but I'm hoping that it won't be totally that way

I'll update the thread title when I figure out (as in, others tell me) what would be a better name

Basically the idea in this thread is to discuss ..well supposedly anyway, but uhm, I think it'd be easier to show

For example, in a certain archetype that I'm making right now, I have a Fusion Tuner and a Ritual Tuner.

Should cards like these be allowed?

Things like that.

Not precisely effects per say.....but we all know that it's probable to happen.

I dunno. I suppose you could say that I'm just being crazy and asking a question, but I don't think we have a thread for stuff like that anyway, so here it is then.

..Though maybe I'm the odd one out like that.

But anyway yes, that's the current question.

We have Tuner Synchros, what about Tuner Fusions? Tuner Rituals?

[Additional Question: Should cards like Destruction Magician (even though it's a pendulum..you know what I mean) be allowed?]

Ok people

Is anyone going to answer the one related to Destruction Magician? Although for that since it does exist it technically counts for itself...but who knows

A third question that I'd just say for now then

How do people feel about the following:

"Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect"

I'm pretty sure I've basically removed this from every card I made recently, but how do you all feel about cards having this.

Recent examples I think, the only one that comes to mind is Qliphort Stealth

Provided it doesn't screw up game mechanics, you should be fine making Fusion/Ritual Tuners and other stuff.

Or when DP gets back online; Xyz Pendulums and all that stuff.

As for the Spell Speed 4 thing, it should be fine; assuming you use it sparingly and the effect isn't going to be overkill.

Then again, we'll have to see what effect you're giving this clause to.

Hmm.

I've been hitting most of my cards with nerf hammers before I bring them online, but it seems to be weird thing, of course.

..And I think, it says something considering they're still pretty powerful to what some people might say they're broken

Of course, I haven't been doing that..but as you can see below, there might be some ...other...things, that I have been doing, which are more or less as "unacceptable"

At least I can feel easy making Fusion Tuners and Ritual Tuners. I technically don't need to, but that's..a style of mine.

Another thing which I guess was brought up to me was regarding the following:

"If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step"

To be honest, I usually use the more powerful version(s)

"During the Battle Phase, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects, the effects of all face-up cards they control are negated"

Recently I'm pretty sure I've removed all the following (which is both good and bad)

"This card's Summon cannot be negated"
"When this card is Summoned, cards and effects cannot be activated"

"Immediately when this effect resolves, Synchro/Xyz/Normal/Tribute Summon" (I've changed this to just "X Summon", which means it can't be hit by warning, TKRO, Black Horn, those kind of effects. Which technically is bad, but I mostly did it to cut down on text length. Which I am picky about.)

One more thing, I've gotten into multiple, miscellaneous trends as well...but I think I'll continue some other time.

Hmm.

Another thing which I guess was brought up to me was regarding the following:

"If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step"

To be honest, I usually use the more powerful version(s)

"During the Battle Phase, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects, the effects of all face-up cards they control are negated"

Recently I'm pretty sure I've removed all the following (which is both good and bad)

"This card's Summon cannot be negated"
"When this card is Summoned, cards and effects cannot be activated"

"Immediately when this effect resolves, Synchro/Xyz/Normal/Tribute Summon" (I've changed this to just "X Summon...")

One more thing, I've gotten into multiple, miscellaneous trends as well...but I think I'll continue some other time.

1st bolded one is fine; considering Ancient Gears already have that clause; and for now, no one's really had gripes about them lately.

2nd one is present on Star Eater, but that factors in the difficulty of summoning + Nomi clause. If your monster already requires effort to bring out, then you can probably add that on.

3rd one is present on the god cards, but that's another story.

The ironic thing is that quite a number of my Battle Phase related things would get completely ruined by the same armades, or super armades, or blanket (super) armades effect. I guess it's possible that the blanket (super) armades effect is too powerful.

Aside from smashing floaters and attacking unhindered, I have this thing against monsters that can't be destroyed by battle which is the main reason why I have the super armades effect. I could use Unicorn Spear style effect, which I have on some but not most of my cards, or the related Ha Des effect, but that's more complicated, and both are kinda longer. Maybe

Lots of other related things to talk about, including Life Point gain (I am insistently stubborn on using Life Point rather than LP. Bah.), banishment, Grave and Banish recycling (what I like to call long term dooling, where you can run out of your Deck and thus need to stash cards into it somehow to prevent yourself from decking out. In a sense, it's also potentially perpetual dooling, but..what can I say).

Lots of things to say, but I think I might have covered half of them already. I might.

Super Armades effect is total bs and Armades & co do not function against it - because their effects get negated at the start of the battle phase. Don't do that, man. Cards that can't be destroyed by battle are SUPPOSED to not be able to be destroyed by battle. You also just rampantly force the activation of cards like Ghostrick Dullahan in your Main Phase and negate the secondary effect of Exciton altogether.

Armades effect is already really really strong. Super Armades is dum.

Banishing is a powerful effect that should have a heavier tradeoff. It's also a little bit of a heavier cost if it's a cost. Recycling from banish should not be the easiest thing in the world and I despise double recycling cards (from Grave or banish). Long term dueling is generally unnecessary unless your archetype is based on randomly turboing through your deck with semi-useless cards (for example Spellbooks) - because you should have won already if you've went through that many cards in your Deck. That or your deck is really bad.

I really dislike the concept of "covering every base" in cards and archetypes. They should have clear strengths and clear weaknesses, not be able to do everything at once.

Alright then, so a few other, though probably simpler things would be like

Miracle Fusion esque cards.

Shaddoll Fusion esque cards (fusion from Deck desu yo)

Cards that interact with Imperial Iron Wall ala Quillbolt, Chiwen

"Cannot be targeted by card effects", though it's not entirely impossible to bypass. 

That appears to be all for now, well, there are only so many card ideas in the first place..or maybe there are more.

Alright then, so a few other, though probably simpler things would be like

Miracle Fusion esque cards.

Shaddoll Fusion esque cards (fusion from Deck desu yo)

Cards that interact with Imperial Iron Wall ala Quillbolt, Chiwen

"Cannot be targeted by card effects", though it's not entirely impossible to bypass. 

That appears to be all for now, well, there are only so many card ideas in the first place..or maybe there are more.

Fusion depends on valid targets. Fusion from Deck is a very powerful mechanic, as is fusion from Graveyard.

Plaguespreader & co are pretty much ok but shouldn't have a great effect outside of their revival.

Archived