Welcome to the Hive-Mind! [Giga's Archetypes: Sporoth]

(GigaDrillBreaker)

So, the idea was to create an archetype for DP that aimed for a longer game, stifling opponent's plays while accruing card advantage over time. What I ended up with was this.

[spoiler=Monsters]

[spoiler=Sporoth Sage]

3B9DJ4M.jpg?1

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:

- Once per turn, when you opponent Special Summons a monster(s): You can place 1 "Spore Counter" on each of those monster(s). Monsters your opponent controls with Spore Counters cannot activate their effects.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sporoth Sentinel]

zFDTDPn.jpg?1

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:

- Once per turn: You can increase the level of any number of "Sporoth" monsters you control by 1. If this monster is used as a Synchro or Xyz material monster: Draw 1 card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sporoth Siblings]

8aUm5ZA.jpg?1

- Up to twice per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster with a Spore Counter on it; destroy that target, then gain Life Points equal to the destroyed monster's ATK in the Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sporoth Sprayer]

rD4sJRC.jpg?1

- Whenever your opponent Normal Summons a monster: Place 1 "Spore Counter" on that monster. Monsters your opponent controls with Spore Counters cannot be Tributed, or be used as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material for a Summon.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sporoth Statue]

t7cmQ4S.jpg?1

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:

- Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can place 1 "Spore Counter" on a face-up monster your opponent controls. Monsters you opponent controls with Spore Counters lose 1000 ATK during your opponent's turn only.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]

[spoiler=Sporoth Spires]

rvDQGJZ.jpg?1

You can only activate 1 "Sporoth Spires" per turn. When this card is activated: Place 1 "Spore Counter" on each monster your opponent controls. All face-up "Sporoth" Gemini Monsters on the field are treated as Effect Monsters, and gain their effects. Once per turb: You can remove 1 Spore Counter from a monster you opponent controls; add 1 "Sporoth" card from your Deck to your hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sporoth Shamanism]

0SlwII9.jpg?1

Tribute 1 "Sporoth" Effect mosnter; Special Summon 1 "Sporoth" monsters from your Deck in face-up Defense Position.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Traps]

[spoiler=Sporoth Salvage]

svsewUt.jpg?1

Activate this card by targeting 1 "Sporoth" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Defense Position. If it is a Gemini Monster, it is treated as an Effect Monster, and gains its effect(s).

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sporoth Stanchion]

FHfjYxJ.jpg?1

Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; Place 1 "Spore Counter" on that monster. Opponent's monsters with Spore Counters cannot declare attacks as long as you control a "Sporoth" monster.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Okay, so here are my thoughts so far. In terms of nerfing, Siblings should probably be half of the monster's ATK instead of the full-deal; it feels way too good at full deal. But, this is something that you feel out in testing otherwise. Sprayer also feels like it needs a big nerf, either in it stats or some big downside besides being Gemini. At the moment, it feels like a 2000 DEF Vanity's Emptiness Lite, and I don't like that too much.

Other than that, the deck's idea is pretty good, the only problem appears to be that its intro game is fairly weak compared to its late-game where it essentially shuts your opponent down from doing anything (don't ask me about my opinion on control decks). So we gotta find a way to balance that out and find a nice, mellow area where it's consistently good. 

Now, reading a few of the effects, we need to be careful with HOW we buff it; because it looks like this deck suffers a common problem where if you don't open good, it kinda bricks; but if you do, it's completely busted. The tricky thing here is making Geminis good... It's not exactly a mechanic known for its effectiveness.

So, here are some ideas on what could make the deck a little better:
- a faster searcher than the field spell, which depends on your opponent's monsters.
- Perhaps maybe a way to briefly turn one monster into a Cyber Dragon and SS it to the field first? Maybe a continuous spell/trap...

Now the thing is I know that there's already Gemini and Psychic support that would help speed up this deck, so there's not much I can say in regards to new cards that doesn't already meet a niche already filled by Konami. But, I need to give some warnings for if this deck speeds up in any way:
- Shamanism as a quick-play is kind of sitting on the edge for me. If the deck speeds up, you're going to want to be careful with this card. Very careful. Also it needs an OPT clause because right now there's some gross combos you can do with this and the field spell that probably shouldn't be possible; especially if the spell suddenly become searchable.
- A way to work around with this is maybe turn Spires into a sort of Double Summon for Geminis? This may need tweaking if the deck speeds up or gains a new card, so be careful with this one as well.

Overall, I would just be careful if you look into any way of speeding this deck up (really not much I can think of that isn't already in there), since if this deck gets moving with its existing card effects, it's very easily going to become a deck that does not let its opponent play in any way, and that's not exactly how player interaction gets promoted around here I'm guessing. Again, not saying it's at that point right now, but it COULD become that if you aren't careful with its effects.

Considering a rank 3 boss that can detach to gain control of monsters with spore counters. Does that sound broken?

That sounds a bit too much if you ask me. Taking control of monsters is a very strong effect and got several cards banned, and even Big Eye was Limited in the OCG cause of this. However, if you put some limitations to what the card could do and maybe have it work like F0, it could work.

Archived