How do you stop a serial killer from killing to begin with?

Johan Liebert

I ask this because I'm writing a story. A teen who has an internal serial killer is the main character. It's something like a split personality. Basically, the killer can only come out if someone he cares about is in need of protection. But, he realizes that he's slowly losing his mind as he nearly lets out the killer for semi-selfish reasons. I'm having trouble thinking of a way he can stop this killer from coming out (because he's losing control). My ideas as to what can stop his killer from coming out include someone he loves (who knows about his internal killer and can possibly suppress it for him), falling off the radar, and/or killing himself. If you think one of these is a good idea, choose one. But I'd also like any and all other suggestions you might think of. This story has been somewhat of a long project I've been working on independently. Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Might want to take a look at the Kara no Kyoukai movies. The main character more or less faces that dilemma.

The compulsion to kill is an urge, and if you want to stop it you either satisfy that urge or take it away, somehow.

And you're not really a serial killer until you actually killed people. I know what you're actually asking  but just putting that out.

Might want to take a look at the Kara no Kyoukai movies. The main character more or less faces that dilemma.

The compulsion to kill is an urge, and if you want to stop it you either satisfy that urge or take it away, somehow.

And you're not really a serial killer until you actually killed people. I know what you're actually asking  but just putting that out.

I need ideas for your second thing. How would he stop the urge as opposed to giving into it?

Well, for one he could try to ignore it by focusing on another urge, like love(and then maybe fails).

Or maybe he gets really close to dying, felt that death was real for the first time, and the urge goes away.

Or maybe have the character succeed in killing someone, and then finds that the urge is just gone.

Something like this isn't really bound by logic though so it's quite dependent on exactly how you characterize the character.

First of all, the love-tactic thing just seems really cliched and it sort of makes me groan, but okay.

Second of all, how would he even just fall off the radar?

Third, killing himself, maybe, I dunno.

Make it unconventional, break out of the typical mold these kinds of stories have, would be my advice.

I think it'd be rather interesting to see something where it just fails and it ends in a 'failure' route, per say.

Or if you want to keep the aspect of him managing to stop it, make him have to sacrifice something else or do something unusual to be able to hold it back - at least temporarily. And sacrificing/killing the one who loves you/you love is also ehhh.

Just my five cents.

It isn't meant to be that kind of story. It's like a psychological drama. I had debated on whether to do my original plan (he finds a way to stop it) and do an alternate universe kind of thing and have him let it out. I'm focusing on my original plan first.

This isn't about him letting it out. It's about you letting it out. It doesn't change what type of story it is, as it's still a psychological drama.

If he's the character you're describing, he'll never want to let it out, so he'll continuously trying to stop it. I'm saying: why not have him fail and actually kill someone he cares about? It sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than anything else I've read here.

I'd agree with Agro. 

The best stories are ones where you test the values of the characters through situations you place them in. Or as a better man once said 'the only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself' 

So, whilst him being able to stop his urges is idealistic, it's cutting the potential short. Have him actually kill someone, and deal with the fall out from it, because then you test the characters perceived values against his inner most desires from the opposite side, and show how the character changes as a result of this failure to control himself. 

Have him sink into the gutter, and then decide how you think he'd progress from there. Character pieces are generally better when they evolve naturally with the character, rather than shoe-horn the character into the pre-determined ending. Because if it's a character worth knowing, when you write it it will feel like a natural progression for him to go. 

The truth is that this isn't fiction. This isn't a story I'm writing. But what's going on with my life right now would be a very interesting book. I agree. I was just curious as to how I'd go about stopping myself if I slipped. Of course, I wasn't going to just come out and say that the main character was me at first. But yeah, maybe this'll be a story I write. Call me crazy. I wouldn't disagree with you. But it's definitely nothing to lie about. It's too real. But I've held this off for a long time, at least six months.

That's... are you actually Johan Liebert?
If this is true, you might want to consider counseling.

I'm definitely not a fictional character. XD But yeah, I'm going through this. But I'm not threat; I learned to keep it under control.

Plus, it's only triggered when my protective nature is needed. I've still never had a situation that makes me completely snap.

:526107_key:

I'll pretend I didn't read that disturbing, unexcpected real life plot twist.

I'll calm myself by believing you're just a dramatic 12 yo on the internet.

The story you write sounds really tired, there's just an urge, a "loved one" (which is such a cliche), and you so far haven't brought any additional spice, instead you've suggested he'll just stop the urge before doing anything.

Your key into developing the story is within other characters and the way the interact with the protagonist,

you could:

• Have him meet someone with a similar urge, and have that person drag him into this screwed up world, trying to satisfy the "urge", by indeed killing. You could develop it further by making a clash between those two characters later in the story, that would result in actual danger for the protagonists or the ones he "loves" (cliche).
  • Have him do it, but then have someone find out. That would stress his world enough to create an interesting plot. The reaction of the second person can vary. For example that person (male or female) could be terrified, and a plot could concentrate on how the protagonist tries to persuade, or stop that one person from handing him over to the police.
  • Have the person who finds out be completely fascinated, it could end up in even more twisted ways.
  • Make the protagonist actually murder, but leave it not perfectly covered; and concentrate on how the investigators carefully wrap their hands on who the criminal is.

etc etc.

There's a very popular HBO/Showtime show about this very thing. Could tighten up your interest, it's called Dexter and the season 2 is basically entirely devoted to this "urge" and the way he attempts to deal with it, and meanwhile there's lots of original interaction between him and different characters who are onto him, and pull him in different directions. Must watch before writing on such a topic.

I'm definitely not a fictional character. XD But yeah, I'm going through this. But I'm not threat; I learned to keep it under control.

Plus, it's only triggered when my protective nature is needed. I've still never had a situation that makes me completely snap.

No, get help. You didn't learn to keep it under control if you still have the need to bring it up and ask questions. If it is a real story, then you know how to stop it. But you don't know how to write the story because you don't know how to stop it. Get help. Then write your story. 

Archived