Golden Gate Empire [IC / No Longer Accepting / PG - 16]

Dad

4DBHBQp.png

As Kokoro was mid-lunge, a trio of bullets - did they even still quality as bullets? - fired toward her from the side. Damned interfering lesser creatures; just couldn't let a huntress hunt, could they!? She was able to dodge two of the three, but the third hit her solidly and damn near ripped her head off with the impact. There was a gaping hole where her mouth was, too. When she was done with Tyson, this one would be a fitting snack and a perfect example.

"Two on one is it?" the vampire asked, eyeing the new addition to the fight. The observer would notice the hole in her head was closing back up rather quickly, to the point where by the time she finished saying "The last time I had a threesome, somebody died. I hope you're a bit tougher than they were," it would be hard to tell if it was ever there to begin with.

Now then, two opponents, two options...who to go for first? Tyson still owed her his life and every drop of his filthy blood after the disgrace he caused her in the tournament...but the other one had a pretty impressive gun there. Kokoro had a plan. Based on her behaviors thus far, one would probably guess she'd just lunge at Tyson again. And they'd be wrong.

Instead, Kokoro set her eyes on the interference. She wanted that gun, and it would come with the bonus of getting an obstacle out of the way. Taking to the air again, Kokoro performed her second aerial lunge this fight, this time directed at her new, secondary opponent.

cY3QQDZ.png

Oh sheet. Lotte was definitely stronger than last time; somebody being able to actually break her Titan Knuckle was a first, and the impact following it wasn't a soft one. At this point, the psychic wasn't even concerned what the kooky geezer had done to these people or what kind of weird steroids he'd given them. She didn't have the time for that. If she didn't think only about the fight in front of her right now, she could very well die. And it seemed like Lotte wasn't an easy opponent to deal with either.

‘‘aLl ThOSE WHo OPpoSE US muST PeriSH!”

More importantly, he had his sights set on the raptor and the little witch. Calling him a robot with this kind of behavior was too generous...more like a zombie. Even more importantly, the raptor and witch were in a pinch. That many weapons raining down on them? The raptor was tough and the witch was agile, but they lacked the pushing power to avoid something of that scale right? No helping it. This time without hesitating, Noya ran her thumb across the latch of her gold eyepatch, unlocking the accessory, before tossing it to the ground. If she botched up this fight, she'd probably die anyway.

Noya could feel the power surging through her with the eyepatch's removal, like a wall of water rushing over a town after the dam is destroyed. She felt dizzy, nauseous, just generally not comfortable with this degree of power. Even before being able to control her power, entire buildings could crumble around her. Now that she could control herself, what was stopping her from crushing the boy...

No, I'm trying to save people, not kill them!

The weapons. Noya turned her attention to those instead, and put every ounce of power she had to slowing or stopping them, so that her allies could get out of dodge. And then there was Lotte. Now he was really starting to piss Noya off. Who did he think he was, completely ignoring Noya in favor of two people he'd probably never even met before!? To accompany the telekinesis applied to his precious weapons, Noya took in a deep breath and bellowed out a second taunt toward the boy.

"Robert Lotte, stop ignoring me you damned robot zombie freak!"

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Tch...did I do them in...?"

Fate's breath was getting heavy. She was not tired yet, but she still felt something was completely wrong right now. She heard Basil's creepy words before he fell flat to his supposed death earlier. The miniature black hole that continued to eat both of their remains was still up. She knew it's far from over. Fate readied herself for either of them to return. Her shears had the capability of cutting the concept of the body, removing any chance for her opponents to heal. She was aware that Arisu had the capability to circumvent it due to her method of regeneration...but what about Basil?

And so, Fate's questions was answered in the least pleasant way possible. What remained from Fate's attack earlier and Arisu's black hole yanked to each other, piecing back the body of Basil somehow. It's something outside of regeneration at this rate. Fate had seen many different kinds of ways people could do something similar, but it's something completely out of what she had known. An aberration to natural way. It was as if he was recreated wholefully, even down to his soul. And as Fate was busy being silenced by the grotesque sight, a cold sensation could be felt from her bare shoulder. Basil was already before her, placing his hand on her.

What was he saying? Fate couldn't hear. She didn't want to hear. She had been living with barely any feeling of fear her whole life. But here she was, frozen in that alien feeling as Basil hugged her tightly. What was that supposed to mean? A tingling feeling, though it soon disappeared as Basil let go of her body. Basil went backwards for a bit before going limp, but Fate could see his spirit coming at her. Coming towards her heart.

"Tell me next time when you're trying to pull something like that!"

But, before Basil was able to lay his hand on Fate, a sudden torrent of water hit Fate right on her chest, knocking her backwards, away from Basil. That was painful, but the pain managed to get Fate's focus on the battle back. She looked at the source of the torrent, and sighed in annoyance. Arisu had regenerated while Basil was being busied with her, and now she's looking quite livid. But before Fate could really properly react to what happened, Arisu tossed something at her direction. A severed arm. In it, she could see a barely-readable engraving to the effect of "help me draw a magic circle using this blood". Fate looked at Arisu questioningly, but then her magitech sensors detected a slight change in the area. During her downtime, Arisu had managed to create the outline of a magic circle using her ice around the place apparently. In which case...what Fate needed to do would just be to follow the existing patterns.

"Do it by yourself next time."

Fate let the shears on her hand go. It's going to be a big burden for her now, and it didn't seem to be effective against Basil anyway. With that done, she immediately dashed forward, and dripped the blood from that severed arm throughout the preexisting pattern drawn by Arisu earlier, trying her best not to get caught by Basil in the meantime. Once the arm stopped dripping blood, Fate cut her own thumb open immediately to get the rest of the blood necessary for whatever was in Arisu's mind right now.

iU8EggM.png

"Now...it's time for the big show."

Her gambit earlier with the philosopher's stone didn't work that well due to the fact Basil was practically being recreated, but that had given Arisu an idea about how to handle him now. Fate had obediently finished the magic circle for her, and that circle already had Basil's body at the center of it. His soul would still be bound to it no matter how capable he was at releasing it from his body, so what was left for her to do was to finish the ritual itself.

With a flick from her hand, a small gemstone manifested before her. Originally an illusion, nevertheless Arisu gave it some mass to make it a suitable replacement for a real one. With that in her hand, she went forward to the body, and sighed. She had lost track on where exactly was Basil's soul right now, but as long as it's not attacking her right now, it shouldn't be too bad.

May this heart of stone be filled with light.

The forbidden ritual was restarted.

Tortured souls, seeking salvation.

One soul shouldn't be enough in a normal circumstance, but if her guess on Basil's regeneration was correct, then Arisu felt she could get away with performing this ritual once more.

Into this heart of stone, everything is poured

The primordial ooze pouring

Spinning endlessly.

Of course, Arisu disliked the fact that she had to do it again, but she was aware that this could be her best shot. Never before she had any chance to performing this again. And perhaps, if she could do this successfully, maybe Basil could stay with her forever as a friend.

Once more, let it spin once more!

And she needed this power to save Elspire and their future.

"Return everything to Origin, my Magnum Opus!"

Arisu summoned a block of ice to slit her wrist, and letting the blood from it drench the makeshift stone and the body below it.

And with that, the stone bathed the immediate area with a beautiful scarlet light as the ritual to make a new philosopher's stone had been officially concluded. Whether it worked or not, Arisu was not sure. But she was quite confident in her chances. She aimed to have the makeshift stone dissolve and absorb Basil's soul anytime it's recreated, and she was sure that her ritual, as much as it was prepared at the last minute, had all the necessary ingredients to perform that feat.

Hopefully her planning actually was accurate this time.

“Don’t leave me.”

Nero didn't move away for a reason. He had all the time in the world to get away once Camille approached him. He had all the time in the world to have Camille's attack backfire on him. He had all the time in the world to avoid being aimed with a straight shot at a point-blank range. The boy before him, the boy whose eye stared at him now, for a moment he saw something different from him. That was not the slave Cam that Nero had seen him as before. Not the blindly obedient, mechanical kid that deserved little, if any respect. Yet it was not also the free, self-sufficient, proud individual Nero wished him and humanity to be.

What he saw was just Cam as a lost child that had no idea on what was he doing, or where he should go next.

The blast was fired. Too late to make any bigger move, not that he intended to make such move, Nero only stepped aside a little, just enough to avoid himself being literally turned to dust by the attack. Most of his right side of his humane body had been vaporized by the attack. But he was still alive. Alive enough. Not waiting for the attack to be finished, Nero charged forward and tackled Cam with as much strength as he had left, pinning him to the ground in an embrace.

"...Don't worry. I will not. So...rest easy, Camille."

Camille wasn't someone that he would respect. He had none of the quality that would make Nero respect him. Yet...despite all of that...the boy reminded him of why Nero came to help mankind in the first place. No matter how badly they had grown into, they'd still be his children, adopted as they could be. As their guardian, it's his job to lead them into their fated path. No matter how many thousands of years had passed, they're all still look like lost children to him.

With Cam pinned on the ground, the two of them was then surrounded by Nero's petal blades. So numerous that it formed a dome, every single one of them was aimed towards the boy. The formation was so thick that each overlaid with the other, and the number of blades was borderline uncountable.

Within a second after it was set, those blades was fired.

Impossible. Reforming from that much damage, not even necromancy could do that. What was this? Did she have a phylactery? No, not this quickly. Of course, if Gerald’s words were true he’d have had plenty of time...Morgan shook her head in disbelief as the girl taunted her. Had she not been so focused on “How” she might have been more affected.

She heard a sound from behind her, as if some weapon was being discharged, and it snapped her back to reality.
Morgan had to follow her own words from before, this was the most serious of seriousness.

"Let me show you what ladies with talent can do!"

She braced herself, focusing on what the strange should-be-dead twice over girl would do next. She saw her make a clone of herself, effortlessly. This was strong magic, but, not unheard of. This was something she could deal with, this was...almost sad.
Odette attacked, and Morgan wasn’t able to dodge. It was fast, it was sudden, and it hurt like a JABRONI.

Morgan found herself hovering above the ground, only avoiding crashing due to her levitation magic. Her face ached, and she could feel the bruise forming. In the process she had bitten her tongue, and she spit out blood as she used her magic to move upright. Something about the blood looked odd, but she didn’t have time to think about that. Odette was ready for more.
This girl was stronger than she should have been. This wasn’t the same person who had been so readily handled by the sword girl. Morgan had used every tool at her disposable, her most effective magic, and yet...Nothing. Was this the end? Was she going to die here? To an opponent so...disrespectful? Was this how the Great Witch, Morgan was going to die?
No.
Hell no!

“Heh, made me bleed, good for you.” Morgan said, wiping the blood from her mouth. “But if you think that’s magic you got another thing coming. There might be two of you now but two nothings is still nothing. As for that guy, take him, I don't give a damn. But you're dead wrong if you think I'm gonna let a shabby freak like you mock me. I don’t know what trick you’re pulling off but it won’t last forever. I’ll just have to kill you again and again until you fall down! There’s no magic stronger than mine, I’m the one who will inherit this world, I’m not going to be stopped by an arts and crafts obsessed ballerina!”

Right on cue, Mr. Bonejangles arrived on the scene. He had made it out of the little issue from before, though he was missing an arm. That didn’t stop him from slamming his club onto the Odette clone, however. “I can always count on you~” Morgan said. “But let’s see what we can do to step it up, hmm?” The same swirl of dust that the skeleton had been made from surrounded the giant, and once it cleared he had restored his arm.
And was now wrapped in thorny roots from head to toe, strengthening his body and giving him an extra layer of protection. Not only that, but there was a literal flame in its eyes.
It turned towards Odette and opened its mouth, and a stream of fire  shot out of it.

“If you think that's all I got, you're in for a nasty surprise. He's just my 'hype man' as it were. I'm the main act here, jabroni. Time to put on a real show!” Morgan shouted, unknowingly echoing the sentiments of her temporary ally, Arisu. Magic flared as once more Morgan was surrounded by a quartet of, larger than normal, skulls. "A dozen deaths would be too lenient, don't you think?"

What was this? He took the attack? Didn’t he realize how dangerous that was, how strong his opponent was...No. Nero was still underestimating him. Camille didn’t react as he was tackled to the ground, and watched on with a disturbingly blank expression as the swords began to form around them.

Nero thought he had won, Camille realize, but there was no winning this. It was all over, from the moment they started. He stared directly at his opponent as a small, hollow, smile appeared on his face. "Time to get serious"
“Weapon Change, Leaf Shield.” His entire arm changed, slots opening up all along it, and four-inch long metal leaves shot from it, and hovered around the pair. An energy grid formed between each leaf, creating a shield seemingly an imitation of Nero’s own.
The blades slammed against them to no avail, and Camille smiled sadly at Nero.

“You don’t get it, do you? My energy is infinite, I have many weapons at my disposal. This is how I was made to be. I didn’t want to fight before. I thought killing was wrong, that I would be stronger by showing mercy. That freedom was meaningless if it meant taking someone’s life. That every life was important, and I had to earn my freedom without taking the easy way out. You didn’t win because I was weaker than you. You won because I DIDN’T WANT TO WIN SO EASILY!”

A metal plate covered Camille’s mouth and nose, and a purple tinged visor slid across his eyes. His voice, even more distorted before, rang out. “But now I see that some people just need to die.” His hand shot forward at extreme speed, and wrapped around Nero’s neck, squeezing tight as he got to his feet. “You will die, and you will stay dead. No one will remember you, Nero. Your existence has no meaning anymore! This. Is. OVER! Cam placed his other hand to Nero’s head, ready to activate one last Force Palm.

LOTTE

~ OST ~

As hundreds of weapons arced down towards their targets, Lotte’s expression twisted. A sudden burst of power began to stream out of nowhere, as if a dam had shattered. Looking around, his expression locked onto the girl from before. Her eyepatch was gone, revealing an eye that was sewn shut. Waves of power radiated from her body like nothing he had felt before, except from perhaps the others serving under the Great King. In an instant, the energies surrounding her swept out in a torrent, straight at the weapons. Did this girl mean to try and hold back the barrage? That was pointless. Nothing could overcome his strength. As the weapons soared on their deadly path, they suddenly began to slow down as immense strength held back each and every single weapon. Frowning, Lotte tried to decipher what was happening. It must be telekinetic… At that very moment, the girl shouted out a taunt. His gaze locked onto her, his eyes devoid of any expression, almost chillingly so.

”My dearest apologies, child. You are incorrect however. I am not a robot, nor am I a zombie. I am something far greater. But as you wished, I shall give you the attention you so desire. You will soon realize though, you should have been more careful what you wished for.”

Pouring forth more energy, the weapons screamed as the very air itself burned from the pure friction. His eyes turned wild with a manic glee as he realized his strength surpassed hers. Her barrier would not hold much longer. Looking ahead though, he realized the raptor and the girl were scrambling to make their escape. This would not do. This would not do. THIS WOULD NOT DO. Conjuring up another massive portal, a titanic hammer that dominated the arena with sheer size appeared.

”COME FORTH, MJOLNIR! SMITE THOSE WHO WOULD STAND IN OUR WAY!”

The hammer flew upwards until it nearly disappeared from view. A terrible sound ripped through the arena moments later, as it pierced through the air, straight at Noya. The force behind this blast would be akin to a bomb going off, between the hammer’s enormous mass and the tremendous speed at which it was accelerating. As it sailed, it erupted into black flames that enveloped its entirety. The Great King had high expectations for him, and Lotte would not fail him at any cost. Any and all opposition must be crushed. All those who stand between them would be eliminated. The resulting shockwaves from the hammer blast would tear through the entire arena. It was no longer just a duel between him and the girl. Anyone who was an enemy to the Great King would be sentenced to death here and now.

2h3odxd.png

Shadow Plateau

Useless.  All of them.  Robert Lotte.  Camille.  Kokoro.  Basil.  Odette.  Even Rhageos.  

"Must I do everything myself?" he said as he watched Basil's soul be dragged into a Philosopher's Stone.  The Black Guard around him became still as he stood up straight, as they too realized Gerald was out of time.  He had to take matters into his own hands.  Tilting his head and cracking his neck, Gerald pointed at the Philosopher's Stone which contained Basil's soul, and watched it fade from existence.  "I don't remember that," he muttered beneath his breath.  Loosening his tie, he calmly strolled behind the contestants in the midst of their battle, approaching Rhageos first.  Patting the great beast on its hind legs, he whispered to it.  "You are free," he said simply.  And it was as if Rhageos was suddenly being doused with water, as his body steamed, and his black dragon form hissed away, as Elspire made his return.  And with a turn, he looked to Kokoro, Camille, Basil, Odette, and Robert, and repeated those words.

"You are free," he said pointing to them individually.  And as his spell broke, all of the contestants would find their wounds healing, their scars gone, and their minds clear  "Because it has occurred to me that you are not built the way I remember.  And it is because of this that I must take matters into my own hands.  And I will show you all," he said as he removed his shirt.  A smeared jet black scar zigzagged down his chest in an 'S' shape, as if it had just been sewn.  "I will show you what M.A.R.K. can do.  And you will understand, and you will accept the condition of your surrender," Gerald said massaging his wrists.

"Because you will understand that everything you are doing, have done, and will do, has already been perceived.  By M.A.R.K.  Memory assimilation and recreation knowledge.  Also known as universal knowledge.  And that, and that alone, is why nothing you do matters.  Because what I remember," he said as a dark blue aura poured up from his feet.  "Is what will come to be."  Odette, who would have been bombarded to death, awoke just in time to see massive flaming skulls inches from her face turn into nothing in thin air.  Camille, who had prepared to destroy Nero, had a sudden change of heart, as his mind cleared and he fell lazily down.  His strength returning to normal, and his memories returning.

Kokoro would shortly become dumbfounded in her mid air attack, as her mind was now clear, and she wondered why she was fighting.  She would gently float to the ground, as Tyson and Dirk righted themselves, unharmed.  And every attack that had been in progress--every beam of light, every source of energy, every form of aggression--stopped suddenly, and ended where it began.

As Robert's attack completed, Mjolnir found its mark as it crashed into Gerald's open hand.  The impact was massive, shaking the underground Plateau and creating a cloud of dust that swept up and choked the contestants momentarily.  When the dust settled, Mjolnir had turned to dust, and Gerald was still standing.  "I could simply recall a fresh start.  Put you back into a place where you would believe your implanted memories and know nothing about me.  But as contestants, you've become boring.  Dull.  And unfortunately, dangerous.  You see, I need new experiments," Gerald said nodding to himself.  "And so, I will give you the satisfaction you have so craved.

That deep, pent up and building hatred you have for me," he said smiling to Saul.  "That curios yet unknowing fear, that resides in your mind," he said pointing to Tyson.  "The worry and regret that clouds your heart," he said opening a palm to Camille.  "You will get every answer you seek.  As I lay you to--"

"Now, hold on there partner," said a familiar scruffy voice.  Above them, Shadow Plateau's lights shattered, as their casings ruptured and glass spilled down to the floors below.  And between the contestants and Gerald, a powerful flame tore through even the Shadow Plateau floors, as sulfur filled the air and three beings emerged from a great hell fire.

"Ah, right on time," Gerald said sarcastically.  "And to what do I owe the pleasure of the company of a dead man?" he asked nonchalantly.  

As the smoke cleared, he took a long drag from his cigar as he righted his new black cowboy hat, and tipped it to the contestants out of respect.  Turning back to Gerald, he politely pointed his cigar at the man's feet.  "I believe ya owe me a lot, Mr. Dillinger.  'specially since you drew up a contract wit' ol' Belial here," he said nodding to the dark blue skinned demon that was still emerging from the hell fire.  

Standing equally as tall as the vampire lord Vladmir Lacusta, he snickered childishly as he shooed away the smoke at his feet.  Kneeling down to get a good look at Gerald, Belial grinned evily.  His curled horns nearly touched the roof of the plateau, and nearly rammed Gerald as he ducked.  

"You broke the rules, Geraaaaaaald~," he sang.  "We had a deal.  And youuuuu turned your back on it.  Five times," Belial hissed, holding up an enormous palm.  "So I struck a new one," he cackled.  

Gerald was visibly furious, balling his fist, then pointing at the demon lord.  "You betrayed me!  When you opened your big mouth and riled up one of the big four, they got curious.  So I altered the deal.  Pray that I don't alter it any further," he said stepping forwards.  Belial however, was paying Gerald no mind.  "Say what you like old man.  Alastor has seen what's coming.  And so have I.  I'll see you downstairs when this is all over.  We'll have some fun."

With a riveting explosion, Belial vanished back into hell, as a powerful red warhorse strolled up to the mystery man's side.  He turned around to greet the beast, when he saw Tyson's face.  Clicking his tongue, he ushered the horse away.  "Gone King," he said softly.  The large war horse trotted patiently over to Tyson, using it's large head to softly greet his new owner.

"Allow me to reintroduce myself," he said removing his hat.  "My name is Jackson Gurney.  Formerly known as Howler.  Ladies, you may refer to me as you please.  Tyson.  Dirk.  Good ta see ya again.  I'm gonna assume the large one is Saul.  I won't insult you with my presence, sir.  I respect your stance on relations with humans.  Then that makes you, Elspire," he said pointing to the blonde one who was now coughing and trying to straighten up after waking up from a bad dream.  Walking over and helping the boy to his feet, he shook his hand.  "Then all that leaves is. . . hmm.  Basil, right?  And that must be Zyg.  So that means--"

"Enough!" Gerald barked, interrupting the festivities.  "You'll have plenty of time to get to know each other in hell," he said as the aura that surrounded him began to grow.

"Right now, I need to assure some of my benefactors that the entertainment isn't over.  And we'll start with clearing the way for round one.  Unit!" he ordered.  "Demolish the hotel!  Raise the plateau to surface level.  And prepare the live stream.  I want the entire world to witness and remember this day."

At his words, the contestants could hear a powerful series of explosions above ground, as the Golden Gate hotel collapsed inwards.  And not moments later, the plateau on which the contestants stood began to rock, and slowly rise into the air.  "Mind your heads," Gerald said looking up.  The ceiling began to open itself mechanically, as the platform rose high into the air.  Many floors above them began to open wide, bedrock mechanically spreading itself in order to make room for the enormous metal flooring that rose to the surface.  And now, the contestants could see daylight breaking above them, as the sun had begun to rise.  And as the platform leveled with the surface, the rubble was cleared away by a mere thought from Gerald.  

With the crowd scrambling for safety, he looked on with a blank expression.  Steph sneaked away in the hustle and bustle of the crowd, and watched from afar, silently cheering on the contestants.  Gerald stretched, arching his back, cracking his neck, and rolling his shoulders.  

"As I'm sure you've realized by now," he began.  "From here on out, there are no rules.  There is no limit.  And there is no chance that every nerve in your body isn't rattled with the most intense pain you've ever felt in your life."

He stood up straight, and opened his palms wide, gesturing to the contestants.  

BGM:  Warriors

"Come.  Let our last memories together be one you'll never forget."  A wave of teal colored energy washed over Gerald, as he took a fighting stance.  The energy followed the length of his arms, as he tucked one behind his back, and opened his palm to his opponents.  As the energy reached his open palm, a figure came to life, shaping itself over his palm.  It was an image of a dragon head, with it's body wrapped around Gerald's torso, as he taunted them.

A smile crossed Howler's face, as he reached into a void and pulled a demonic claw from it, wrapping it around his wrist.  Putting out his cigar, he flicked it away.  "Okay folks.  Let's give the old man a nightmare."

Morgan had never seen such a force in her life. Memories? That's what he was using for all of this? She glanced over at Odette, who looked utterly confused. Probably understandably but Morgan couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction at the sight. Things got really funking weird as a demon came in and brought some dude who gave Tyson a horse or some sheet but that was unimportant.

The things Morgan cared about were; one, she had totally won her fight against Oddette. And two, they once more had an audience. "That's all very nice for you old man." Morgan said, sickeningly sweet as she took several steps towards him. "I can tell you're tough. Mega tough. Tougher than my dad even." She cringed. "But you're so, so, so much dumber than him. Thanks for the audience, they'll get to see us thrash your ancient ass."

She took another step forward, and suddenly halted. Pain shot through her and she felt a pounding in her head. During that battle she had noticed something was off. Morgan didn't know what, exactly, but she had hoped to hold it off as long as possible. Perhaps it was the sudden change of situation, but she had been unable to focus on preventing whatever was happening to her. A burning sensation began around her chest, as an oval-shaped, bright red, glow pulsed in front of her heart. She stared, confused, at this oddity. Then she screamed.

Waves of magic pulsed out from her, rapidly increasing in frequency. Morgan felt an unusual surge of energy. A strange energy, something that felt familiar but also...not right. This wasn't her magic, was it? But it was, it definitely was. Instinctively, if not logically, she knew this was hers. She gritted her teeth as the waves of magic pulsated through her body, and she felt as though she was being torn apart.

But she wasn't. Every inch of her was in pain, every joint felt as though it would tear out of its socket at any moment.

But.
They.

Didn't.

Morgan laughed. Whatever this was, it wouldn't kill her. But perhaps...it could kill Gerald.

She let out a primal growl as she stared down the old man, her eyes burning with magic. "Let's see just how much you can take!" As the girl floated a couple feet above the ground, an image formed behind her. A smokey image in a form that would be recognizable to a few here. Morgan was terrified, but thrilled, at whatever was going on. She felt power she didn't know she could feel before, and she would use it while she could.

A pair of scythes, wreathed in blue flames, formed to either side of the witch, and began to rotate. Slowly, slowly, then faster, faster, faster still, until they were a barely visible blur of blade. She recognized this, it was her father's spell. It wasn't as flashy as her explosions, but much more deadly, capable of cleaving through most substances with ease, tearing into the very soul. "Death Scythe Barrage!" She directed the weapons towards Gerald, intent on tearing the old man into shreds.

Camille stared at Nero as he let his hand drop to the side. "I...what...no." He didn't understand what was happening, but had he really been about to do...that? He whirled around to face Gerald, fear obvious in his eyes as the man made his speech. He had known going into this there would be forces he didn't understand, but this?

They were raised up and put on display as Gerald taunted, and challenged, them all. Cam couldn't do this, he wasn't strong enough in his current form. He wouldn't be able to do anything against this monster! Cam took a step back and bumped into Nero. The boy looked back at the demon, and the fear drained from his eyes. He felt a sort of calm as he realized he wasn't alone in this. He didn't quite remember everything that had happened but he did remember Nero's words, when Cam had practically begged him to not leave.

"...Don't worry. I will not. So...rest easy, Camille."

Camille smiled and turned back to face Gerald. "Thank you Nero. It...it might seem strange to say this now, especially since, you know, you killed me. But I think I..that is to say you're...you've been influential to me. No one has...pushed me before, and I needed that. But now it's my turn to push back." He spoke this time to Gerald directly. "You say I'm 'free' right? That's not how it goes. I can't possibly be free because of what someone else said. I need to make my own freedom, with my own decisions, and my own power."

"You've done horrible things How many times you've done them I don't know, but I do know you have to be stopped. You're an absolute monster. A control freak who only cares for your own goals, just like my father. You thought you were controlling us, you thought you were the one in charge. But you're wrong, Gerald, we won't be controlled. I died once, and if I have to die again to stop you I will do it gladly. THAT is my choice, my freedom!This is my chance to break free from those who would put me in chains, and you're not taking that away from me again!" Cam leaped directly into the fray, paying no heed to the magical attack Morgan had sent out at Gerald. It wouldn't be enough on its own, they'd all have to give everything they had to fight Gerald, and Cam was willing to do just that.

As the scythes headed towards Gerald's front, Cam made his way to his side. Once there he let out another burst of speed and brought his hand back. Images came to mind. Memories flooded him, people he had come to know and, in different ways, love. A trio of sometimes frustrating sisters, their...unique mother, an artificial intelligence, a pair of centaurs, one salty one sweet, his closest friend thus far, Liz, and others, finally ending in the most recent and, oddly enough, important image. Nero. "I...I can do this!" he thought. Cam thrust his hand forward and let loose with the strongest blast he could muster.

The dragon, Rhageos, huffed and wheezed in anger.  The giant had not only survived his ordeal, but eventually came to counterattack him.  It was then that time seemed to stand still.  and a phrase was uttered to him.  

"You are free,"

His form faded, and he had returned to his same sane self.  Right now...everything was so confusing.  What had happened to him?  Looking at the battlefield in front of him, tons of craters and scorched marks littered the terrain.  Had he caused all of this?  Had he fought with the madman against his fellow contestants.  He scanned it in search of Arisu, and eventually found her.  It didn't seem like she had been hurt.  A sigh or relief was released.  

However, on the other side of the field, Zyg stood in a state of shell-shock.  Everything that was happening around him was way beyond his comprehension.  Demons, the dead rising, Gerald destroying matter as he saw fit.  It almost made him tremble looking at what he thought was a fragile old man.  

"Uh...I think being used as a government weapon doesn't sound too bad right about now." he said with a hint of laughter.  At the moment, he still wasn't sure if this was all real, or a part of the competition.  

"My name is Jackson Gurney.  Formerly known as Howler.  Ladies, you may refer to me as you please.  Tyson.  Dirk.  Good ta see ya again.  I'm gonna assume the large one is Saul.  I won't insult you with my presence, sir.  I respect your stance on relations with humans.  Then that makes you, Elspire," 

The man helped Elspire to his feet, and shook his hand.  

"Who the hell are you...who the hell am I?  I'm so confused Mr. Howler...I need answers."  Sadly, before he would get an answer, large explosions were heard above the cavern.  They were all lifted to the surface, and higher into the air, on the platform that they all stood on.  The old man started stretching, as if he were ready to get into the fight of his life.  So this is where it all concluded eh?  He walked over to Arisu and grabbed a hold of her hand.  He flashed her a toothy smile before speaking.  "Hey...sorry for what I might've done...but right now, I just have to believe in the you that believes in the Elspire that I believe I am."  He started scratching his head, thinking if what he said was correct somehow.  

"As I'm sure you've realized by now," he began.  "From here on out, there are no rules.  There is no limit.  And there is no chance that every nerve in your body isn't rattled with the most intense pain you've ever felt in your life.  Come.  Let our last memories together be one you'll never forget." 

A powerful aura started to gather around Gerald's hand in the shape of a dragon.  He didn't know why, but the sight made him grit his teeth.  Elspire let go of Arisu's hand, before pumping himself with a giant electric aura.  Every muscle in his body ached, but he had to push through it...for her.  

"Don't worry...we can get through this together..."  Two other contestants had already launched themselves at Gerald, and Elspire would soon join the charge.  His electrical energy matched the shape that Gerald's aura took.  He jumped at the man, and cocked his fist back.  "Perfect Fist of the Lightning Dragon!"  

Zyg on the other hand, stood in fear.  He wasn't sure how to approach the situation.  He slowly started backing away until he met the edge of the platform.  It was too high up to survive a fall.  What was a raptor to do?

Fallen Gates Arena, 1:1

Basil and Odette weren't going to standby and be told they were mere puppets.  Gerald had made a statement, and judging by their reactions, and the reactions of the other contestants, they weren't alone in assuming the old man had a black heart and lacked any form of decency.  And they were right.  

"O' winds," Basil muttered, beginning to float.  "Gerald.  You've misstepped.  You've hurt people.  And I--no--we, won't allow you to hurt us, or anyone else again," he said folding the blindfold over his eyes once more.   His hands surrounded now by a torrent of wind on either side of him, Basil prepared his strike.

Beside him, Odette tightened her ribbons on her head, nodding in agreement with Basil.  "He's right.  I don't know what you did to us entirely, and I don't particularly care.  But I know I don't like it.  And that's enough for me."  With her free ribbons, an Odette clone once again appeared beside the original, arguably not as strong as before, but still important.  With Basil next to her, Odette charged at Gerald.

"Wait!  WAIT!  YA DON'T KNOW--kid!  KID!!" Jackson said sprinting forwards.

In what seemed like a fraction of a second, so many different things happened, and most of them went unregistered with the contestants.  At Morgan's powerful magical scythes, Gerald swatted them away with his hand, sending them flying behind him and decapitating innocent bystanders, and several of his former personal guards.  Within that same instance, Camille and Elspire both saw an opening to physically strike at Gerald, causing him to react.

A physically enhanced blast and a magically enhanced physical attack.  Unfitting.  Gerald snatched Elspire's hand out of the air first, a burn appearing on his own hand as the punch made contact.  He pulled Elspire in, and cracked him in the ribs with a wild kick, tossing him backwards a fast as he had lunged.  As Camille's blast approached, Gerald leaped above Camille, avoiding the blast as best he could, and proceeding to land on Camille's spine.  He kicked Camille from under him, and sent him barreling into Elspire, causing them both to intercept Basil. 

Fortunately for Odette, she managed to avoid the mix of bodies being sent her way.  Basil was not so lucky.  He was caught in the mix as Elspire and Camille crashed into him, and he tumbled forwards face first.  And as he fell, Basil could sense Gerald's presence standing right before him.  As Basil's neck stretched forwards, Gerald brought down a heel of his foot, and snapped it.  Basil was killed instantaneously.

Odette froze in place, as her clone suddenly dissipated at her lack of focus.  She wasn't sure what had just happened, but Basil now lay limp on the cold metal flooring.  She was dumbstruck at how quickly Gerald had managed to dispatch what was being directed towards him.  But she quickly went from being horrified, to being furious.  Irate, she drew back her fist and spiked her ribbons behind her in an attempt to kill Gerald in one motion.

Four of her six ribbons missed, with two of the spiked physical ribbons piercing either of Gerald's sides as he caught Odette's fist.  He snapped her wrist backwards, and pushed on her arms as she screamed aloud.  She fell to a knee, gripping her mangled wrist, tears streaming down her face.  Gerald ripped the ribbons from his sides, allowing a black ooze to pour from his minor wounds.  He raised Odette's head, so that she looked him in the face.  "That hurt," he said with a backhand slap to her face, knocking Odette over to the ground.  Similar to Basil, Odette had no time to react or crawl away, as Gerald's leg became covered in the same blue aura from before, and his heel ran through Odette's skull.  Her brains now splattered on the steel floor, he kicked her body away, blood trailing behind it as it skidded to the feet of the contestants.

Howler snarled, fighting through tears as he caught Odette's body.  Gently, he carried her out of the way, and lay her softly outside of the chaos.

"Ya don't know what he's capable of," he muttered to himself.  Turning back to Gerald, Howler stood in front of the contestants, wary of Gerald.  "I recall hearing about this," he said aloud.  "We have to get past that aura.  But I don't know how.  It gives him a lot of leeway.  But don't be reckless," he said eyeing Basil's corpse.

"We don't need any more bodies," he said raising his head to Gerald.

Gerald's aura began to expand, as his eyes focused on Jackson.  The dragon on his fist snapped at the contestants, as it grew with Gerald's aura.  "I don't know who told you about it," he said folding one arm behind his back.  "But it won't make a difference.  Come."

Arisu

"Well, that just happened."

There's really not much else that she could say regarding the recent events that happened. She just saw Basil, who had recently been released from his control by Gerald, got torn apart, and that funny-looking girl was brained quite hard too not long afterwards. How they reached this point was another matter entirely, and it was really something that she couldn't really get. It's bizarre, insultingly so. It's not a situation she could cheese through. She had little to no ideas on what people were thinking about right now. Would they attack the old man? Seeing how badly Basil and Odette ended up, perhaps it's not that great of an idea.

But of course, she needed to do something. Elspire, the real Elspire, just charged forward, and both him and that maid boy ended up being knocked back with ease. She couldn't let that just stand. Letting out an audible tch, Arisu turned to Fate, who had wisely chosen to not engage Gerald directly. She reached to her pocket and grabbed the Philosopher's Stone, and gave it to the girl without saying much words. It's a pity she couldn't make the second one, but that could probably be done later. Nevertheless, her intent was clear.

"I need to get myself a new arm."

Letting her magic circuits run wild throughout her body, Arisu engulfed herself in volatile energy, and turned towards Gerald's direction. Avoid getting pinned down. Avoid that blue aura. Cut her legs if she had to. Her body is just a means to an end. No way she would let herself be stopped by something as bizarre as this. He's not the writer of her story - that would be herself.

Calming herself after she steeled her resolve, Arisu started her suicide charge against Gerald. Simply seeing how much punishment he could take. No need for illusions.The matured magical energy could be seen from her skin - as if those could burst out at any seconds.

For now, she only had one explosion. He was still focused on Jackson. She could see the dragon in his arm cracked. Utilizing a wind spell, she bursted forth with the help of a sonic boom, straight into the old man.

"Just end this farce already, you bastard."

Tyson watched as Gerald seamlessly slaughtered two of the newly revived contestants with narrowed eyes before returning his attention to King and Mephisto. "You have to be shitting me..." The man eyed the massive warhorse skeptically as he continued his conversation with the demon.

"Does now seem like the time for jokes?" Mephisto's voice sounded inside his mind, small traces of bewilderment still very much present. "That mount... it's a Devil's Arm- one so old that even I had forgotten of it's existence."

"But he's... well, a f***ing horse!" Tyson shot back whilst gently patting King's head and further examining him. He only needed little more time for his arm to finish healing, and if he was going to be of any aid in the battled, he'd need to figure out this gift from Howler quickly. "I don't even think I could ride him if I tried."

"I was getting to that, fool! The reason that I hadn't been able to recognize it until now..." Mephisto continued patiently. Suddenly Tyson felt a wave of confidence flowing from the demon, causing him to arch an eyebrow. "Death's steed can change it's shape to suit it's master, and it would appear that Jackson has surrendered his ownership to us."

Tyson's eyes suddenly widened in realization. "Meaning even a hairless ape like yourself should be able to mount it without difficulty..."

Suddenly Tyson's attention was stolen by a large pulse of magical energy. Shifting to the side just in time to see Arisu overcharge herself with mana before sending her entire body flying towards Gerald in what could only be a kamikaze attack, he kissed his teeth. Time was up. 

"Hate to f*** with your ride, Old man..." The Ripper spoke as he grabbed the splint that held his left arm, ripping it off and incinerating the fabric in a fluid motion. "But," Rolling his shoulders, Tyson leaped high onto King's back with a grunt, causing the massive horse to instantly begin glowing with a blinding light. In mere seconds the King that the world had come to know and fear had vanished completely; his rough brown hide replaced by the glimmering metallic frame of an impossibly black motorcycle with a grinning Slayer sitting comfortable with both palms on the handle bars.

"The Ripper rides in style!" 

Lightly twisting the ignition, Tyson's grin grew wider as King roared with power. He could feel it now. The power of the Pale horse was simply magnificent, and it made him feel like he could ride to ends of the earth and back effortlessly! Though the joyride would have to wait. Shifting his burning gaze back to Gerald, Tyson drew Mephisto's chain. Dragging the old bastard's soul to the deepest depth of purgatory was his top priority...

"Looks like we've gone and skipped all the way to the finale, eh? It's the final episode... You ready?"

"This mortal has been living out his fantasy for far too long! Come, Ripper... we'll burn away all of his memories! "  

With both of him and Mephisto in agreement, Tyson twisted at the ignition once again, this time channeling hell-fire through King. Unholy flames erupted from the core of the vehicle, cloaking it's wheels in two spiraling pyres and releasing a jet of scorching embers from the ignition as the pair shot forward at supernatural speed. Tugging back at the handle bars to leap over Howler and the other contestants, Tyson and King made a bee line towards a certain blonde.  

When Elspire came to after being thrown around by Gerald, he looked on in horror as two of the other contestants were slaughtered.  Shock ensued as Elspire realized that that could have easily been him, if Gerald had decided that Elspire shouldn’t live anymore.  He grit his teeth angrily, he was so weak!

The sound of an engine hurtled towards him, and he woke up from his little pity party.  That Tyson boy had been gifted with a vehicle coated in hellfire.  It was on the fast track in his direction as well, and he quickly jumped to his feet, and into the air, hopping onto the back of the motorcycle.  

“One hell of a ride you got here, man.”  He said, his eyes focusing on Gerald as electric energy pumped out of every pore in his body.  

"Yea, I gotta get Howler a bread basket or something when this is all over, don't I?" Tyson chuckled as Eslpire's sparks danced across his back. With his passenger secured, he brought King to skidding halt, sending embers flying to the side as he turned the vehicle to face Gerald just in time to see Arisu's attack explode in a torrent of magical energy. The colorful sphere of magic expanded slowly, blinding the pair momentarily as the compressed magic destroyed anything it touched before slowing fading out.

“... your girlfriend will be fine, right?”

“Uhm...she’s pretty durable.”  Elspire’s doubt shook his voice.

"Alright, then what do ya say we follow her lead?!" Tyson spoke with a grin as he toyed with King's ignition again, causing the steed to grumble angrily. "Gerald wanted to see us throw down, so let's give him the best seat in house!" Tyson's body was trembling with excitement. He really did live for this! With Elspire at his side he stood a chance. Alone they were both already quite fierce, but together? Even Mr. G.O.D would have to be on his toes...

bgm

With another roar, King shot forth towards Gerald at frightening speed; turning Tyson and Elspire into a blur as they closed the distance in mere seconds and burst through the smoke left from Arisu’s attack.  Locking eyes with their target, Tyson offered the other man a spiteful glare before suddenly pivoting to the right in a manner that could only be possible with a demon vehicle. "El, let's give him something new to remember…” He called to the half dragon as he began to race around Gerald’s flank.

“Right!”  Elspire roared as he jumped into the airspace above Gerald.  He spun as he ascended, creating a vortex of electric energy.  “Tornado of the Lightning Dragon!”  Lightning shot from within the vortex, targeting the old man who was in the eye of the storm.  

Meanwhile on the ground, Tyson began to accelerate; leaving a burning trail of hellfire behind him as he drove around Gerald at top speed. As the supernatural flames began to rise, Mephisto synched their demonic energy with Elspire’s lighting, causing the two elements to merged to create crackling new energy that seared and electrocuted anything that dared to touch it. This azure blue flame hungrily climbed the vortex, meeting Elspire at the the top with a wave of immeasurable heat before pushing past the boy into the heavens themselves.

“I’m new to this whole naming our moves bullshit, but I think I can make an exception just this once!” Tyson shouted as he admired their handywork; a raging blue tornado of pure destruction with Gerald at the center. “G.O.D SLAYER: AZURE DARGON’S INDIGNATION!” Tyson’s words heralded the tornado's compression, and as each of its beautiful blue walls began to close in on the center, storm clouds began to gather low in the sky above.  

Bringing King to an abrupt halt, the Ripper jumped high into the air, using a jet of hellfire to make himself level with Elspire before tossing Mephisto’s chain over his shoulder, sending it even high up behind them.

“You ready, kid?!”  Tyson flashed the boy a smirk before moving to grab the still extending chain with his right hand, hellfire dancing across his finger tips.

“You know it!”  Elspire said as he mirrored Tyson with his lightning.

Hellfire and lightning began to flow up the chain in tandem; spiraling and pushing past each other as if racing before once again merging to form the azure flame at the tip of the now fully extended Devil’s Arm as it broke through the newly gathered storm clouds.

Tightening his grip on the chain, Tyson bared his teeth as he sent even more of his energy it the sky, causing blue fire to erupt all over the chain, cloaking it in crackling azure light. “This hero thing is sort of fun!”

“Let’s get on with it then!” Elspire roared, his eyes becoming dragon-like, and his Lightning fusing with that of the flames that danced on Tyson’s chain.  A serpentine like dragon, that which mirrored the one wrapped around Gerald’s arm, slithered it’s way up the chain, crackling with a ferocious azure intensity.  It grew in size until it had enveloped the chain, and the two boys.  It roared as it saw it’s target.  

Grinning madly, Tyson watched as the azure serpent turned and retreated to the clouds, causing thunder to shake the heavens. Tightening his grip on the chain, the Ripper used all if strength to swing it downwards with the help of Elspire. The clouds parted as the dragon flew down from the sky towards the tornado; it’s mouth open wide to consume its prey, seamlessly cutting through the tornado.

“EAT CHAIN!”

“Tail Lash of the Lightning Dragon Demon!”  

Lotte

”H-Huh…?”

W-What? What was happening? Why…? Lotte looked around. He and the other participants were in a massive, white-walled area. It seemed as if several others were also coming to- wait a moment, they were all supposed to be dead?! What the hell was going on? As the room rumbled and collapsed and the participants of the tournament were brought to what seemed to be ground level. Huh… so we were underground in some gigantic room…? Looking around, he tried to make sense of the chaos with everything.

There was no time to dilly-dally though. Gerald had now challenged every single participant to go against him, and his expression was clearly confident. It was quite obvious that he wasn’t just an idiot at this point, meaning that Gerald still had some clearly dangerous secrets left up his sleeves. He was still confused. Memories were seeping back slowly from what had happened when he was left in the firey pits of his last arena.

”Nero!”

Lotte shouted out before he fully thought about it. Was Nero fine? Where was he? He couldn’t have died yet, could he? Their first fight might have been decided, but he wasn’t about to let Nero go just yet. He couldn’t! There was still so much more he wanted to do with Nero. Looking around, his eyes locked onto the familiar figure. Lotte sighed in relief before he caught himself. Why am I… glad…? No no, he’s my enemy! Wait no, that’s Gerald! Wait, but Gerald…?

He clapped his hands to his face. He’d beat this goddamn grandpa and leave the questions for later. Shouting out in Nero’s direction, he taunted him.

”I STILL HAVE A BUNCHA STUFF LEFT TO GRIND WITH YA, NERO YA OLD DEMON! SO YOU BETTER NOT DIE FIRST OR I’M GONNA COME KILL YOU!”

That was that. Looking around, he saw the familiar faces of Noya and Nori also nearby. He waved, before realizing it probably wasn’t the appropriate time for it. No time for that crap now, gotta focus on what’s at hand. Lotte’s eyes narrowed as he found Gerald. His memories had begun to come back, and with it, a burning hatred for what Gerald had done. Every single fiber of his existence wanted to murder the old grandpa, but his instincts also screamed it was a complete deathwish to fight this seemingly old grandpa. Waves of power surged off Gerald and the coiled dragon made out of energy snaking around his limbs. He was a dangerous opponent for sure.

Well, nothing’s gonna happen if nothing’s tried though, right? Might as well go for a shot, as damned risky as it may be. Shaking his limbs out to make sure everything was fine, given what had happened just a few minutes before, he looked at his clothes and weapons. They were still tinted black, but the unnaturally dark colorations and vivid violet seals were quickly fading. Spitting on the ground in distaste, he aimed his gauntlet cannon straight at Gerald’s torso. The biggest target would be the easiest to hit, even if hitting Gerald was probably not ever going to happen with a weapon like his. Might as well see what he’s up against.

The others began their onslaught first though, and it quickly became apparent just how strong Gerald was. Gerald created carnage as he completely ravaged Basil and Odette’s bodies, fending off multiple other attacks and still managing to counter. Lotte began to doubt himself. Can I really… do anything to a monster like this…? No! No! It’s not the time to think about it! Even if I don’t make a difference, if I don’t try, I definitely won’t know!

Pointing straight at Gerald, Lotte commanded for his trademark cage to appear around him. If Gerald didn’t evade the bars quickly slamming down around him, he’d be encased in a giant cage within a few seconds. Without a pause, Lotte leveled his cannon, taking aim, before unleashing a massive volley.

”HURRY UP AND JUST DIE YOU GODDAMNED GRANDPA!”

Nori

Everything was insanity. The dead had come back to life, before waging war on their living enemies. Then the entire arena had self-destructed along with what had apparently been Gerald’s mind control on the formerly dead contestants. And now, they were all fighting against Gerald in a desperate battle that seemed to be only going south. Basil and Odette were viciously torn apart, while everyone else’s efforts seemed to be getting nullified through Gerald’s incredible powers and strengths. There was no time to think, let alone dwell on anything.

Drawing her swords, Nori entered the fight. Piercing her sword into what seemed to be the ground of the new platform, she commanded the earth to rise up. Seeing Lotte attempt to form his cage around Gerald would be another boon. The cage would trap Gerald from around the outside, while the pillar of solid rock would slam into him from below. She had an inkling of a feeling that it wouldn’t be effective though, given what she had seen of him so far.

Slashing her sword out in incredibly quick sweeps, the wind itself was torn and sent flying at the old figure in sharp blades of pure air pressure.Getting close was too risky, so Nori didn’t dare utilize Rin yet, but she was aiming to do what she could. Keeping up a constant barrage of airstrikes with her smaller sword, Nori waited for the earthen pillar to rip out of the ground and hopefully slam into the malicious founder of this tournament. Once Zan did its job, whether it was successful or not, Nori would begin to charge her dual weapons for Ka, in hopes of unleashing a massively powerful attack on him. After all, nothing less was proving itself to be effective, and Nori was struggling to keep back the despair, after watching how easily Gerald had torn apart two others.

She mustn’t lose hope. There was still so much left to accomplish. It couldn’t end now. They had to win. The contestants had to win. Everyone was a potential enemy, but for now, they stood unified under one common enemy. Together, if they all join forces… maybe they could…

Under this core hope, Nori continued to assail Gerald.

Saul

Saul's attack stopped mid-air; vanished from existence, the world around them changing. Gerald went off about something; that all that was going on was only according to what he knew, to his knowledge, and his memory; that they had no free will. Saul planted the tip of his blade on the ground as the hotel began to fall apart above them; their platform raising to the air. A man who called himself Howler appeared, knowing what was going on. However, there seemed to be enough going on that was outside his control. Whatever this universal knowledge was, it didn't grant Gerald the power he thought it would. He wasn't God.

Many of the other contestants threw their attacks at Gerald; each being stopped short and responded with an equally strong, if not stronger response. Two of them were killed.

Howler stood in front of the contestants and mentioned something about an aura. Saul's eyes widened as he remembered his attempted attack against a real god; it had been met with the same fate as many were finding themselves in today. The same god that Elspire somehow defeated.

"Obviously raw strength isn't going to get past his shield," Saul said to Howler, his sword at the ready. "I recall an opponent that Elspire battled, and defeated, who wielded a similar power. It's not perfect, and Gerald is not invincible; but we need to know how to break his armor."

Dirk

Everything happened so fast, between the battles ending, their injuries gone, and now they were floating in the sky as they fought Gerald. Yes, yes this had all been according to plan. Dirk and Tyson knew that Gerald was evil! But what they didn't know was exactly how strong he was. Morgan was going crazy, among with everyone else that was going crazy with their magical attacks and everything. Dirk stood their and looked at his hand cannon as everyone else launched their attacks, and let out a deep sigh.

"Why's everyone gotta have the special powers but me," Dirk muttered to himself. "Aw, to hell with it."

Dirk aimed his Dust Rider at Gerald; waiting for people to clear out of the way so he could get a clear shot. Hopefully, seeing as who he was in comparison to everyone else, Dirk hoped that Gerald wasn't paying attention to the smaller fries in the group. And hopefully that was his downfall. There, an opening between all the contestants. Squeezing the trigger once, Dirk let off one shot, the initial bang from the hand cannon firing followed by quick rush as the bullet's rockets kicked in; a thin jetstream leaving a path between Dirk and Gerald's skull.

BGM, Turning it up a notch

Useless useless useless. Everything they threw at him did nothing, Morgan raged. This was pathetic! She had to go harder, dig deeper, something had to stick, right?! She just had to unleash more magic. The scythes had been ineffective, however, Morgan did notice he didn't simply disspell it, but physically knocked it aside. The innocents that died didn't matter, as long as they got a step closer to winning. Morgan felt their souls being torn asunder and a part of her rejoiced. "Did you know, Gerald? People always say my dad named himself to copy the Grim Reaper. Truth is, the Grim Reaper was named after him. His magic runs through my veins. If there's a soul somewhere inside there I will find it. And I WILL REAP IT!"

She channeled her magic as the rest of the group's attacks went off, feeling the roots and vines forming beneath the arena. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw Dirk. Poor, magic-less Dirk, taking a shot at Gerald. Well, perhaps it could do something, like those ribbons, right? He'd need one hell of a distraction. Morgan's eyes lit up, and she broke into a wicked grin. She twisted the roots underneath Gerald over and over, weaving just enough magic to keep them solid and together, then had them burst from under Gerald, aiming to pierce him.

She raised one hand, not quite finished. A dark cloud formed above Gerald, and from it, a rain of bone-shards, dozens upon dozens, coming crashing down onto the old man. The magical aura surrounding Morgan began twisting, expanding, retracting, moving with wilder and wilder motions the more magic she forced out onto her opponent. In her chest a bright red oval shape became more and more prominent, throbbing, pulsing, like a second heart. She had never felt more as one with magic before this moment and she would use it to destroy anything in her path.

Cam winced in pain. The attack had gone...poorly to say the least. He had done nothing, and two of them had died. It didn't seem to stop everyone, though, as they continued to launch ever more aggressive attacks. The boy took a deep breath. He had to fight as well, but he had to fight smarter. He rushed in without finding any information about this boss. His moves, weaknesses and resistances, his attack pattern, nothing. So Camille determined to watch the man as he reacted to each attack.

Meanwhile he tried to access locked data in his head. He knew from his brief stint as Gerald's puppet that this body was capable of more than his father had told him. He had to find a way to break through his father's locks and encryption. To find new weapons, something to fight Gerald with.

He kept his gaze steadily on the old man, crouched and ready to speed off in any direction he needed. Gerald would screw up, and Cam would be there to punish him for it.

Well.  That was boring.  Oh, yes, right.  Everything has to be addressed in order, does it not?  Right.  Let's start from the most troublesome of the bunch:  the roots.

While they were magic born, they were physically dominant.  He couldn't just ignore them.  Morgan's roots ripped an enormous hole through the platform, which he initially thought was an attempt to bottom out the platform and collapse it beneath him.  However incorrect that assumption was, he had to avoid the roots.  But an enclosing cage above him by Lotte proved that going up would be an issue.  No matter.  He sidestepped the roots and watched them rip upwards into the air.  As the roots expanded, Gerald grabbed hold of them, and began to pull.  The cage collapsed around Gerald, providing him no immediate way out.  But as he pulled the roots, they began to give way, until they were in the ground no longer.  He whipped the enormous root upwards, smashing through Lotte's cage, and tossing the enormous twelve foot long roots upwards, shattering the cage and dismantling the shards of bone that were raining down on Gerald, all while hurdling towards the now airborne Tyson and Elspire.

The roots wouldn't reach them however, as the mock dragon emerging from their combined strengths burned the roots to a crisp.  But now he had a choice to make, as a whistle came in his direction.  A rocket powered bullet was stream lining his way.  Bundled with it was a plethora of energy shots fired by Lotte.  And behind all of this, a violent torrent of wind created by Nori.  Wait.  Wind?  He couldn't afford to deal with that either.  What a bind he had been placed in.  He had to take one of those three physical strikes.  The bullet's impact could do more damage than any of the three, and therefore was not an option.  The energy shots could be mitigated only so much.  But the wind slashes would prove to be the least problematic.  He could stop two of three.

Gerald looked up, as the dragon descended upon him.  It began to intertwine with Arisu's magic, which erupted into bright colors.  He had to use this to his advantage.

"Magic.  You just don't get it do you?"

As the dragon reached him, Gerald outstretched a hand and received it with the dragon aura over his own right arm, and watched the beast strangle Tyson and Elspire's creature with a single bite.  It had the mock dragon in its jaws, and Gerald pulled once more.  He pulled the magic out of the air and slammed it forwards, directly into the line of fire that would have caught him.  Arisu's magic now added to the volatile explosion of the rocket propelled bullet.  Coupled with Lotte's energy barrage, the arena quickly erupted in fire, pluming skywards and catching everyone in the blast.  This forced Nori backwards as the shockwave sent her tumbling, stopping her assault.

Fortunately for the contestants, they had an additional ally.  As the blast was ignited, Howler pulled from his coat pocket, another unique weapon.  "I was hoping I could save this . . ." he muttered to himself as the fire nearly consumed them all.  As the smoke cleared, the contestants would find themselves covered in a barrier of golden light.  And now in Howler's hands, his weapon turned to dust, as it's one time use had expired.  The Heaven's Pillar had been used.  They emerged unharmed by the blast, which should have killed or almost killed them instantaneously.

A mix of dozens of different types of arcane magic does not create a typical fire.  This explosion was hotter than most.  So hot, in fact, that the initial explosion was a vacuum, drawing in all of the oxygen in the immediate area, and suffocating all remaining nearby civilians and guards, before the fire expanded and melted their bodies to dust.

Gerald, for the most part, emerged unharmed.  But he of course couldn't have avoided that last strike.  Nori's wind slashes had made contact, past his aura.  He scoffed, the six slashes across his chest bleeding black ooze, as he stepped out of the smoke.  

Howler had heard Saul's voice, even through the explosion.  A way through Gerald's armor would not be easy.  

"I recall an opponent that Elspire battled, and defeated, who wielded a similar power. It's not perfect, and Gerald is not invincible; but we need to know how to break his armor."

"Good thinking Saul."  Someone that Elspire battled?  He wasn't there for that.  But maybe Elspire could give them a clue.  Helping the dragon boy to his feet again, Jackson  "Kid.  Ya fought someone or somethin' similar to this.  Somethin' on Gerald's level. . . maybe.  Saul says this whole armor thing might have somethin' ta do with it.  What can ya tell us?"

Meanwhile, Gerald was visibly upset.  He had been injured, and he knew he couldn't do much about it.  Not now.  The dragon on his right arm had since tripled in size, now fully wrapped around Gerald's body.  The blue aura pulsated, as his wounds slowly, slowly, began to seal.  From Arisu, Elspire, Tyson, and Morgan, the dragon that was being 'wielded' by Gerald had continued to grow.  Soon, it would be big enough to detach from Gerald.  That is, if the requirements were met.

BGM:  Power

And Howler knew this.  He was watching the dragon carefully, as it roared, snapping at the contestants.  

"Morgan," he snickered.  "It's cute that you think death is something I answer to.  I've been on this planet for two hundred years.  Your Grim Reaper is a puppet of the Demon Lords.  A broken angel sent to do their dirty work.  If you've got his magic running through your veins, then you're more of a lost cause than I thought," he said laughing.  But his smile quickly vanished, as he stared angrily into the contestants faces.  "You want magic?" he said holding out both of his palms.  "Then I'll give it to you."  He dropped his left arm, and opened his right palm to the contestants as if commanding them to stop.  The dragon wrapped around his arm drew back, it's lengthy neck now towering above Gerald, as he chanted.  "By the light of the world.  Burn.  Sun drop."

The dragon's mouth opened wide, as it began to glow a magnificent orange.  The evening light that loomed over San Francisco grew dark, as it seemed this dragon was sucking in all forms of light and heat within the immediate area.  The survivors would feel their bodies immediately begin to turn cold, as the only warmth they felt was from the deafening swirling sound of the dragon in front of them.

Jackson grit his teeth, as he reached into his coat pocket again.  "sheet," he mumbled to himself.  He had an Ursula Stone he could use, but he risked killing the contestants at the others at the same time.  Then he would have to try something desperate.  Using the devil arm around his hand, he reached into the void once more, and drew forth a bleeding skull, who's eyes glowed brightly.  It screamed in agony as he wielded it, prompting Jackson to talk over it's incessant wailing.

"He's done that before!" he called to the contestants.  "And we can't take it head on!  So we have ta try ta cancel it out!  Fight fire . . .well, wit' fire!  This here is Helios!" he said pointing to the skull in his hands.  "Whatever magic ya got, give it to 'im!  And don't worry about me!  If this is ma last act, I'll make sure you kids do well!" he said nodding to Tyson.  "I'm not supposed to be here anyway," he mumbled under his breath.  "Now be quick about it!  Do it, and do it now!"

This little jabroni thought he could mock her? And then turn out the lights and make the crowd unable to see her shining moment?! Morgan was beyond pissed now. But she also realized something. He was mocking her, taking his time to showboat. He wasn’t any different from other mortals. Gerald was no godly being. He was fallible.
She wasn’t about to let his words get to her. She knew how great a man her father was. Like the time that he destroyed an entire underground crime ring without using any magic, just to see if he could.
Strange. She didn’t remember him telling that story. Oh well, must have slipped her mind.

The darkness was frustrating, but nothing more. The cowboy seemed to have it covered, with some seriously intense magic items. She had to remember to see how to obtain some of these after. She tossed a pair of flaming skulls his way, to help with charging the thing, giggling at the idea of charging a skull with another skull.

She could really enjoy herself now. It was time to bring a bit of...spookiness to this fight.
Morgan began to hum a

The souls of the innocents that Gerald caused her to kill would be put to good use. They swirled around her body, as she focused on a spell similar to that which creates Mr. Bonejangles. But instead of a giant skeleton, several normal sized ones were created...and several more. Morgan methodically created more and more of the bone-horde, placing into each of them a small portion of the souls she had reaped, making them stronger, more durable, and semi-intelligent. As she created them, they began to move.
But not towards Gerald. They started by tossing their heads between each other, and juggling them. Meanwhile several hit their own rib cages, to create a sort of song, combined with rattling jaws.

Morgan began to laugh, and laugh, fully submerging herself in her work. Soon enough there fifteen of these skeletons. All of them, to Morgan, were glowing softly with a blue fire, and they continued their play while waiting for Morgan to give orders. As soon as she could see again she’d send them after Gerald, and hope he underestimated them. They weren’t super human level of strength, but they were nothing to sneeze at, Morgan thought proudly. “Mock me all you want, Gerald, this is my show now."
Those other bastards better figure out something to do against him, though, she could only do so much to keep his attention...

Cam was beginning to notice a trend. The more physical attacks, especially those that cut or pierced, seemed to be much more effective. But where did that dragon come into play? Did they need to draw it out, or attack it?
Before Cam could come to any more of a conclusion, Gerald brought a terrible darkness upon them all. He froze for a moment, as he felt the cold creep through his body. He could hear Howler asking for something but Cam couldn't help there. Magic was never something he did well with.

Cam gritted his teeth. He had discovered one of the weapons inside him, one that his father had locked away. But he hadn’t gotten much time to really see how it worked, or make sure his body could handle it. But it would have to do.

“Weapon Change: Sonic Slicer” Cam turned towards where he last knew Gerald was, and raised his hand. As he did, his arm morphed and an opening appeared near the end, as his hand disappeared within the arm. Out of the opening a blade extended, two feet in length, and vibrating with energy. He was ready to attack, as soon as the darkness lifted.

LgDHoYz.png

Talk about a grand finale! Gerald himself was the final boss in this long-running game of death, and...this wasn't the first time it had happened, he said? That was strange; Vena didn't remember Morgan fighting in this tournament before this one time, and something like that the golem wouldn't just go forgetting. Something about all that didn't quite add up, but Vena barely had time to think about it as she watched the fight erupting before her, and making numerous acrobatic dodges to avoid getting hit by a stray projectile or some such. However, everything eventually went dark and cold. It felt like being born again; how nostalgic! There wasn't time to focus on that either, though! Soon, the Jackson guy pulled out a skull that didn't know how to shut up, and was demanding that everyone put all their magic into it.

For a golem that was able to continue living only because of magic, giving all of it was kind of...suicidal. If she did that, that would be bad. However, there was no rule saying she couldn't just give any amount of magic she could hand off without endangering herself instead. Making her way to the skull, Vena put her hands on the thing (not without thinking about how gross animated skulls were) and started pouring any spare magic into it. It definitely wasn't as much as what other magic users here could put in, but that was because they could keep giving without endangering their lives. This amount would have to cut it. "Don't miss," Vena ordered.

Of course, now she wouldn't be able to fight. The only option left was to get out of dodge. Not without letting Morgan know; it would be bad if she thought Vena died or something. It took a bit more effort than she'd have liked, but Vena soon found Morgan, and announced her departure. "Big sis, I'm getting out of here; it's really dangerous and I put all my spare magic in that skull. Don't worry about me anymore; beat up that old man good!" And without another word, the tiny witch began making her way out of the way of the fight. Getting away from here would be easy enough.

This was all escalating so quickly.  Elspire quaked in fear as the dragon he and Tyson had created together was swiftly dealt with by Gerald.  This geezer...he was unstoppable.  Not to mention that Arisu had completely given up herself to use that explosive attack...but looking up, he noticed that Gerald himself had taken damage.  

"So...he's not invulnerable...noted."  But with that, Gerald took the attack they had thrown at him, and used it against them, creating a rather large explosion.  While the contestants were spared, thanks to Howlers magic trinket, the audience themselves were not.  At the massive loss, Elspire gritted his teeth.  He stood to his feet, gaining the confidence to dance with the devil once again.  

"Good thinking Saul.  Kid.  Ya fought someone or somethin' similar to this.  Somethin' on Gerald's level. . . maybe.  Saul says this whole armor thing might have somethin' ta do with it.  What can ya tell us?"

Elspire thought back to the tournament.  The only person he had fought that was on this level...was...of course! 

"I remember fighting this...god...Ilgad I think.  I killed him with my bare hands...but only after I blew up some kind of...magic stone.  He lost his godlike powers after that.  Maybe Geralds tapping into the same type of power source!"  Elspire looked to the old man, Gerald.  His eyes lit up, and static began to dance around him.  "Ilgad's punches hurt way worse than anything that Gerald's been dishing out."

Gerald decided to unleash another otherworldly attack, and the world around them grew dark, and insanely cold.   

"He's done that before!  And we can't take it head on!  So we have ta try ta cancel it out!  Fight fire . . .well, wit' fire!  This here is Helios!  Whatever magic ya got, give it to 'im!  And don't worry about me!  If this is ma last act, I'll make sure you kids do well!  Now be quick about it!  Do it, and do it now!"

Elspire looked to Jackson, who held a scary looking skull in his hand.  

"Well...I guess if that's our only shot...I better fan the flames!"  Elspire gathered a large breath, he could fill his stomach roaring with power.  "Roar...of the True Lightning Dragon!"  Elspire let out a giant burst of electric energy burst fourth from his mouth.  The stream of static raced towards the skull.  Now all he had to do was wait and see what that thing could do with all his magical essence.  

In the background of the fight, Zyg's still cowered in fear.  Although he was intelligent, every primal instinct in his body told him not to fight this battle...he wouldn't be able to assist in Jackson's request anyways.  He didn't contain an ounce of magical potential in his body.  All he could do was wait for an opportunity where he wouldn't instantly die...like his two fellow contestants.  

"So he's that strong, huh?" Tyson sighed as he watched Gerald withstand the might of each and every one the attacks they threw at him. Though he wasn't completely unharmed. Observing Gerald's injuries, Tyson begun running through his options.

But it seems time wasn't on his side. Hungrily sucking in all light and heat in the area, Gerald begun gathering that energy into what could only be a attack. 

"He's done that before!  And we can't take it head on!  So we have ta try ta cancel it out!  Fight fire . . .well, wit' fire!  This here is Helios!  Whatever magic ya got, give it to 'im!  And don't worry about me!  If this is ma last act, I'll make sure you kids do well!  Now be quick about it!  Do it, and do it now!"

Turning to face Howler, Tyson's gaze fell on the skull shaped artifact. Watching as the rest of his allies began throwing their magic towards what he could only assume was another exotic Devil's Arm, the Ripper sighed before moving to Howler's side.

"Plan on croaking again so soon, old man?" Tyson's grin shown through the darkness as extended his hand towards the skull and opened his palm above it's head. Grunting withe effort he begun feed the object as much Hellfire as he could muster. 

"He's slimy and annoying, alright."

The newly regenerated Arisu groaned. At the very least, it looked like it's possible to damage the old geezer. Thankfully he wasn't only capable of being harmed by the plot or a contrived concept, and he actually showed that people's attack was working on him. Nevertheless, her own magical suicide explosion attack didn't work as well as she expected it to be. While it still served its function as a reset button to get her body back to normal, seeing it doing so little kinda hurts. But that wasn't that important. With how much magical energy floating around thanks to this battle, she could keep on going for quite a while.

"What's with the gloomy face, Fate?" Arisu greeted the girl that stood next to her. It seemed like she was being screwed by the narrative since her cut-all scissors wouldn't work on this because the rule of drama said so.

"Nothing. It's..."

"You're feeling like you can't do much here?"

"...Yeah. This scissors have a lot more restrictions than what I thought at first. And even if it worked against him, it's too unwieldy to use against him." Her voice was resigned. Arisu could sense a degree of disappointment from it, but at least she felt that Fate had accepted it as her fate.

"Just cover me and the rest while not dying in the meantime. Alice and me had promised to give you a safe home so you don't have to fight for your survival anymore, so it's your turn to keep your part of the deal by not being dead.

If you die, I swear I'll find a way to resurrect you so I can kill you again."
Arisu's voice turned into a threatening one as she said the last sentence. Hearing that made Fate chuckle a bit.

"...That sounds stupid even for you. But alright, I accept the deal." The girl held her scissors tighter as a faint smile replaced her earlier frown. Pleased with seeing that, Arisu went ahead towards the man who called himself Jackson. That name sounded familiar. Did he came from the moon? That's nonsense. Arisu cleaned her head of those irrelevant thoughts to see the others had  channeled their magic into the skull Jackson held. But, first things first. She approached Elspire just after he finished firing a great burst of electricity towards the skull, and without telling him first, she kissed him on the cheeks.

"Please don't lose yourself to that kind of bullshit again. I'd rather not have "killing the people I really cared about personally" be a hobby or a habit of mine." Arisu threw him a teasing look once more before focusing her attention on the skull. She put her hands with the stone towards the skull, and a thin red line started to connect the two objects. Arisu was not a fan of the idea that she had to expend too many energy reserve once for this since she had died way too much times today, and each of those was painful as hell. So of course, she just pulled the magical energy that permeated the air of the battlefield into the skull.

"The sooner we end this battle, the better. I still need to plan for my honeymoon after all."

Looking at the others attacking at Gerald or putting their effort into channeling their magic towards Jackson's artifact, Nero chose to stay on the sidelines for now, standing on the side of Odette's corpse. His type of magic was not suitable to be channeled, and it was, for once, Nero felt that he had no intentions to charge towards Gerald at the moment. Of course, that painted him as a hypocrite as even Camille had charged against the old man now.

Or perhaps not.

It was clear that Nero was thinking about something as of now, however. The eyes of the corpse on his side were still fully opened even in death. Her death came swiftly. Nero didn't have any attachment towards the girl, hell, he even had little idea about who she was. Why was he there? Why did he hold her hand? His thoughts were still in quite a mess.

A patch of serenity in the middle of a raging battle, Nero continued to stay on his position.

Saul

Saul shook his head at both Howler and Elspire's responses.

"So our only strategy is to hit this thing as hard as we can," Saul let out a sigh. "And here I was hoping for a real battle. Oh well, I suppose fighting a dragon was enough for one day."

It was really now or never. Saul activated Gabriel's Healing; a spell that he only reserved for desperate situations, but now qualified as well as any. Saul's body began to glow a bright gold; his eye's turning to a solid white. From his back, ethereal wisps of sparkling light emanated from his back as ghostly wings. Saul picked up his sword with one, the six-foot, heavy metal blade's runes glowing as bright as his eyes and the flames billowing from its edge.

"Now, we need to end this," Saul's voice seemed to echo. The spell was meant for healing first with a boost to his power as a secondary bonus, but without any wounds Saul focused the entire spell's power towards his own, amplifying his own ability. "HAVE AT THEE, DILLINGER!!"

Saul swung his blade in a bright, fiery arc above his head; gripping it with both hands as he brought the edge down upon the stage that Gerald had lifted to surface level. The blade impacted against the floor wish such harsh impact the ground shook from the weight of the blade and the strength of the swing. From the impact, a massive pillar of flames erupted; brighter with a blue/white tint and a deafening roar. The pillar moved with a slightly faster pace than Saul's previous pillars, leaving an angry red/white trail of semi-molten stone behind as it plowed through the stage towards Gerald. As the pillar left Saul's blade, the glow faded from his body and ethereal wisps vanished.

"Let's hope this works," he growled to himself as he fell down to one knee.

Dirk

Dirk may not have had his smartest moments, but he wasn't an idiot. He watched Gerald as he answered every attack, yet seemed to take careful notice of Dirk's shot. Magic... magic... magic... Magic must be the key to his barrier!

"And now," Dirk smiled as he gripped his gun, "Dirk Rider saves the day." Dirk slunk behind the group as essentially an Armageddon of attacks occurred on the stage, in the meantime humming what he would like to call his theme song.

What Dirk's Humming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=73&v=JMLJVpT7-CY

Flipping and rolling with a completely unnecessary flair, Dirk found himself near Tyson.

"Oh hey, Tyson, you gonna watch me save the day with Completely Normal Non-Magical Attacks™? Cool stuff, hey don't die, 'cause we still gotta get smashed at a bar sometime after this," Dirk smiled as he brushed a comb through his hair. "Anyways, I'm gonna grab a better angle, catch you on the flipside!" With that, Dirk resumed humming the same tune before he found himself more off to Gerald's side than in his direct field of view. Taking aim, Dirk decided to be a little smarter and fire at the center of mass rather than the head. Better to get those guaranteed hits at this point.

"Say hello to my little friend," Dirk muttered to himself over the roar of every big, flashy attack.

With a careful hand, Dirk continued to squeeze the trigger as fast as the gun would let him, gripping the weapon with two hands as he did his best to control the recoil, yet the rocket bullets still slowly found their way towards Gerald's head with each shot. Dirk kept firing the weapon until the weapon made hollow clicks, ejecting the mag and tossing it behind him.

Several Days Ago, Razerhill Valley

"That damn . . .Gerald.  Oedipus.  Dillinger."  His last breath was a cold one.  He felt the life slipping away from his body.  But it was worth it, if Tyson could get the message spread to the others.  As the cigar slipped from his fingers, and his eyes closed and his body went cold, Howler awoke.  He could feel himself being pulled, downwards.  He was falling rapidly, from a great height.  At first, all he could see was rock.  But that rock soon turned to brimstone.  The brimstone leaked a powerful hissing steam, accompanied by the screams of what sounded like millions of people.  People.  That wasn't right.  These weren't people.  These were damned souls.  And he was about to become one of them.  He was still falling, and the next thing he saw was a lake of fire, surrounding a molten rock platform, where large creatures awaited him.  He could feel his clothing being stripped, melted away as he neared the platform of molten rock, and landed with a thud.  Somehow, he felt no pain, shame, or sorrow, even as he raised his head to look into the eyes of the demon lords who had called upon him.

Belial.  Azmodan.  Baal.  Andariel.  Duriel.  Diablo.  All were present, except one.  

As he stood, naked before the demon lords, he did not hide himself.  He stood with his head up, hands at his side, as he awaited their counsel.  Diablo spoke first.  He was the largest of his brothers and sisters, standing at more than two hundred feet.  Lowering his large, horned head, Diablo's steaming hot breath washed over Howler, as he breathed in the human's face.  An enormous clawed hand exhumed a powerful explosion as it landed just inches away from Howler, in the middle of the rock platform.  The courts were now in session.

"Jackson Gurney," Diablo growled.  "You have been summoned by the Dark Courts in accordance to your sins," Diablo breathed.  "Murder.  Betrayal.  Greed.  Lust.  You plagued the world with your presence, until death.  I hereby sentence you--"

"Now hold on there, big D," Belial cackled, vanishing from his stand in the courts to stand beside Jackson.  "Weeeeee  had a deal.  Didn't we Jackie?" the large, twenty foot Belial said, casually leaning his arm on Jackson's shoulder.  

Diablo glared daggers at Belial, pointing a finger at him.  "You struck a bargain without the Counsel!?" he roared.

But Belial shook his head.  "Sorry bro.  It wasn't without the Counsel.  Just without you."  This made Diablo snarl, as he turned to his brothers and sisters.  "You knew of this!?" he said slamming a large fist against the platform, causing Belial to stumble.  Azmodan, with his bald, decaying head and exposed brain, nodded patiently, as he extended an open, clawed palm to Duriel and Andariel.  He wheezed, as he spoke.  "From us, he drew his strength.  And for us, he sent the souls that make up your domain."

Andariel nodded, his bony headed rattling as he agreed with Azmodan.  Duriel also nodded, confirming the contract between themselves and Jackson.  Baal, however, remained silent, flapping his enormous wings in curiosity.  "And Baal," Diablo said to his brother.  "You knew of this?"

Baal shook his many eyed head.  "No, brother.  I was unaware.  But I am not opposed."

Diablo turned to Jackson, leaning in again.  "And how many souls have departed by your hand, Jackson?"

He looked to Belial first, the demon lord nodding to him.  "Four hundred thousand."

Diablo raised his head in disbelief.  "You lie!" he said slamming another fist down.  But Belial intervened again.  "Oh no.  That number is correct, brother.  Between the three of us, and the tasks we gave this one," he said nudging Jackson.  "Four hundred thousand and fifteen is the grand total.  Of course, we gave him a hand.  Kyng still rides on the surface.  But the rest of the devil arms have returned."

Diablo breathed pure magma from his gaping maw, spilling over onto the platform, causing Jackson to step back.  "Then why is my domain so minuscule?  The number of souls that were driven to us have been diminished.  Why?"  Belial stepped forwards, slipping his tiny, slimy blue hands into Diablo's, as if he were asking his hand in marriage.  "You might want to sit down for this one."  Diablo growled at Belial, having enough of his jokes.  "It's the M.A.R.K.  The one we warned you about, some time ago.  He's not letting people go.  They're being reborn, over, and over, and over.  And right now, he's prepared to kill again, only to start over on his own terms.  Depriving you of your souls, big guy."

Belial stepped back, as Diablo grew irate.  The demon lord punched it's enormous fist upwards through brimstone, drawing it back angrily.  "The ones above!  Why have they not taken care of this!?"  Belial shook his head again.  "Bro.  I told you.  This one qualifies as a Devil Arm.  The only difference is, it's almost impossible to extract.  It was Tathamet's last resort.  It was how he defeated Anu."

"Tathamet," Diablo growled.  "And what do you propose, Belial?  If souls do not depart, both domains will shatter.  You all know what happens then."

"We won't have to go that far.  Not if we send him back."

Diablo spit at Belial.  "Send him back!?  Are you insane!?  He needs to be punished!"

Belial disagreed of course.  "We can use him.  Even if it's only for a short time.  He has the skill, Diablo.  He's a mercenary.  A born killer.  He can be our first Assailant in six millennium."

Diablo was not pleased.  But if it mean restoring balance, he would comply with his brothers and sisters wishes.  Diablo snatched up Jackson, who squirmed in the demon lord's hands.  "Jackson Gurney!" he bellowed.  "By the order of the Dark Courts, you are to return to the living world.  On one condition."

Jackson stopped squirming, to listen to Diablo.  "Whatcha need, Diablo?  I got nothin' better to do."

Diablo grinned, his hundreds of teeth prepared to bite of Jackson's head at any moment.  "If you die again, you will never receive another chance.  And should you return, I will personally see to your torture, for all eternity."

Jackson didn't hesitate to add his own condition to the clause.  "You're not sendin' me up there naked.  And I don't mean clothes.  I want access to your entire inventory.  Every Devil Arm ya got."

Diablo laughed, opening his palm to let Jackson down.  "Very well, Assailant of Hell.  Belial will show you the way."

As Diablo, Andariel, Baal, Duriel, and Azmodan vanished into the shadows, Belial extended a hand to Jackson, helping him to his feet.  "That means I'm gonna have no chance of gettin' you outta here again, Jack.  Unless, we talk privately."

Jackson raised an eyebrow, questioning Belial's motives.  "What do you want?"  Belial grinned, as he drew up a contract.  Jackson read it carefully, smiling as he read the simple terms and conditions.  "That it?" he said with a laugh.  "Nothin' to it, Jack-o."  Jackson shook his head, but signed on the dotted line with his soul.  "Never thought I'd assign myself to you.  You sure this gets past the Court?"  Belial nodded.  "Or my name ain't one you can swear to!"  Jackson nodded, pleased with the terms.  "In that case, I have one last condition."  Belial was taken aback, practically insulted.  "Aww, come on Jack-jack.  I'm already doin' way too much for ya."

"Don't tell the boy.  Any time I'm supposed to go, if he's near by, make it look like I didn't make it.  I don't need him or his partner in crime to suspect a thing.  I'm in no place to be an uncle."

Belial laughed, slapping his knee as he jumped and rolled around hysterically.  "You're a real shithead, Jackson.  But that's fine.  I'll leave the toddler out of it."

"Hey!" Jackson said with a finger in Belial's chest.  "His name is Tyson.  Now take me to the vault, ya big blue bastard."  Belial grinned.  "Alrighty then.  Afterwards, I'm gonna take ya to see your ol' pal Gerald.  The party's already starting on the surface."

Jackson nodded.  "Then let's make this quick."

Lotte

”funk!”

Gerald was completely unharmed except for a few scratches after all the work that they had all put in. Nodding a thanks to Howler for saving them from the massive resultant explosion, Lotte prepared for a second barrage. Steadying himself as Lotte dropped into a low and firm stance, he raised his guntlet towards Gerald. How would he get this to work, when everything else combined had failed? He flickered through what he remembered of Gerald and his powers, poring over his memories for any potential weaknesses, but turning up short. The battle continued to rage around the contestants, and despite everything, Gerald still seemed to be as strong as ever.

”Goddamnit!”

What was he supposed to do? He was just one kid, and in this situation, he was feeling out of his depths. Looking over to the side, someone was firing a massive gun towards Gerald in a nonstop, relentless barrage. Lotte was about to reach out and tell him to give up, as it would be futile, but his hand stopped midair. It was the best that guy could offer. Who was he to go trampling on other people’s efforts? Feeling a renewed sense of determination, Lotte carefully leveled his gun, tracking down Gerald’s torso. Locking on with a click!, Lotte mentally flicked through the map he had created within his own mind of his armory. Nothing below the strongest would be worth attempting, and despite everything and how much Lotte hated Gerald, he couldn’t help but give a begrudging respect. The man was strong, and incredibly so.

Aiming his gun, Lotte let loose a massive barrage of energy shots. As they tore through the air, they whizzed and spun, causing each and every single individual one to have a slightly different trajectory as they homed in on their target.

Nori

Nori grimaced as Gerald countered the other incoming attacks easily, and merely shrugged off her wind strikes. Disgusting tar-like black liquid seeped out of the wounds. Just what is this…. Is he even human? As an explosion rocked the stage and the world went dark, Nori realized she was still alive. Glancing over, it was thanks to some man and what appeared to be a magical artifact. It crumbled as she looked at it though. Heh, a one-time thing, I see. Guess it means we can’t screw up now. As Gerald created a massive energy dragon around himself, it began to suck all the light in from the surroundings, turning day into night. Soon afterwards, chills rocked the arena as the heat disappeared with the light.

It seemed as if the man from before wasn’t quite done yet though. Pulling out a screaming skull, the man commanded it to feed it magical energy. On any other day, Nori would have dismissed it, but now? Against Gerald, almost nothing seemed to be working, so if there was even the slightest chance of something succeeding against that monster, it would be worth it. Nodding silently, Nori pointed her dual swords towards the skull, before chanting ancient words of power to channel the magic inside of her body. As it swelled out of her like a rising tide, Nori let the energies flow through her arms, through the blades, and shoot towards the skull. It greedily absorbed it all, glowing and pulsating as if it was almost alive. Maybe it was. Nothing would surprise her any more at this point.

Glancing over at the others, it seemed as if the old man was still putting up an immense fight. Cutting off the channel with the skull, Nori recited the third verse of her signature ability. Ka. Her blades began to shine brightly in the darkness, as they glowed and flames exploded off their surface, writhing and hissing as the air itself was being burnt. Despite everything that had occurred, she was feeling more alive than she had ever been. The stakes were the highest they could be, and she could feel the raw power surging through her body.

”PREPARE YOURSELF, OLD MAN!”

Slashing down her swords through the night sky, they screamed as massive arcs of flame scythed out towards Gerald.

Camille noticed all the others were still fighting their hardest...well, most of them. The raptor, and Nero, had yet to join the fray. He wondered if Nero had a plan, and then smiled bashfully. Of course he did. He's Nero. Cam didn't know him well, but he couldn't help but have faith in the man.

He noticed the Sonic Slicer in his arm start to waver, and spark. Damn...it was more difficult to maintain than he thought. Camille focused with all his might, coding flashed before his eyes, as a visor slipped over them.

The blade flickered out of existence...and then flared up once more. Camille got into a crouch, holding the blade to his side, readying himself to rush Gerald the moment he got a chance.

Meanwhile Morgan was busy arraigning her skeletons in three lines of five, each several feet away from each other. Her army was ready, but she wouldn't waste them in a blind rush. She could be patient...for a minute. A sharp pain in her head broke her concentration momentarily, and she noticed the red glow in her chest had begun to throb more rapidly. She couldn't worry about what it was, however. She had an old man to massacre.

Phase 2

Howler looked on through stinging sweat, as the contestants fed Helios.  Fortunately they were cooperating, but he wasn't sure that it was enough.  Despite the efforts of every contestant--except those of course who could not or would not contribute--Helios' strength did not peak.  It would not reach that of the Sun Drop.  In fact, it was barely a half measure against Gerald's technique.  But he had to try.  The contestants were buying time, when Dirk found an appropriate answer to Gerald's game.

Firing off several large rocket propelled bullets, he launched the projectiles at Gerald.  "That's it!" Howler urged the others now.  "Don't use any more magic against him!  Ya have to--oh no.  No, no, no, no!"

But their efforts were in vain.  Elspire, Saul, and Nori together had now fanned the flames.  The conditions had been met, as a smirk crossed Gerald's face.  Howler had to act, and he had to act now.  

Gerald could not afford to take too much damage from a barrage of bullets, and so he chose a coward's way out as he waited for the Sun Drop.  He couldn't channel any more magic during this spell, and his hand had been forced by Dirk.  Putting himself and the nearby Steph at great risk, he kicked into the already broken platform at his feet, and turned it backwards as quickly as he could.  A frail shield, but it wouldn't keep the bullets from exploding.  As Dirk's rounds found their mark, Gerald emerged from behind the now smoldering, warped steel his only good arm missing, black ooze trailing down his torso.  But Sun Drop was still building, and he walked out of the blast smiling.  "This," he said as multi-colored strings of appeared out of his wound, and began sealing it closed.  "Can be repaired later.  But that, will cost you," he said pointing to the flaming attacks that drew near him.

As Nori and Saul's fire drew closer to the Sun Drop, it was pulled in like a vacuum, causing the sphere to expand further in size, at a much faster pace.  And as Elspire's Roar pierced the air, it too was snatched up by the Sun Drop, a shimmering yellow glow now surrounding the massive ball of energy.  It cackled with power, with Howler and the contestants looking on.  Howler pleaded aloud with the Helios head, urging it to cooperate.  "C'mon, damn you.  C'mon!"  In front of him, Gerald could be heard laughing, even over the whirlwind of energy still gathering in the dragon's mouth above him.  

"You didn't actually think you could stop me with an ancient devil arm!?  Did you!?" he taunted.

Helios' eyes glowed, as it resonated with magical energy.  But Gerald was still laughing.  "You're too late!  And I'm going to watch everything you know and love, BURN!!"  Helios was now ready, a gurgling sound emerging from it's open mouth, as it still screamed.  And just in time as well.  Gerald extended his only arm forwards, as he ordered his ethereal dragon strike.  "Sun Drop!" he bellowed.  The swirling mass of energy slowly fell from the dragon's mouth, crawling towards the contestants.

This made Howler react, as he pulled away from the contestants, and charged forwards in front of them, Helios in his hands.  Extending the head outwards, he screamed it's name.  "Helios!"

The head let out an agonizing scream, that would force the contestants to cover their ears.  The magic erupted from the Helios head all at once, in an awe inspiring display of a pure white mass of energy, just barely half the size of the encroaching Sun Drop.  And as the two masses met, a nervous Howler fell to his knees.  He couldn't help but look on as the Sun Drop slowly engulfed the repulsion attempt from Helios, putting him into a state of dismay.  His head hanging low, he lowered his hat, as he prepared to meet his end.  The Helios head now rolled to the ground, still screaming, deafened by the sound of the Sun Drop that was now only feet away from Howler's face.

"Damn you, Gerald," he said aloud, though no one could hear him.  There was nothing he could do.  And as the orange ball of light began to sear him, he felt a presence before him.  He raised his head, to see someone standing in front of him.  Thinking to himself that he was dying again, he could only assume it was an illusion.  Until the illusion raised it's arms, and stretched them wide.

Wings of light emerging from it's back, it embraced the Sun Drop, as it's metallic heels dug into the ground.  It pushed back, as hard as it could, resisting the sheer power behind this attack, only just.  Though the survivors could not see his face, Gerald was irate.  He looked on with sheer rage as he watched an unexpected guest interrupt his festivities.  The Sun Drop washed over this new arrival, and forced them to a knee.  Even with this great force upon them, the one with wings outstretched his arms forwards, pushing the Sun Drop upwards.  At last, the ball of energy was hurled hundreds of miles into the air, out of sight of the human eye, several hundred miles over the Pacific Ocean.  Without waiting for their permission, the winged guest, extended a limp skeletal hand towards them, and magically forced their bodies to the ground, causing each contestant to fall prone.

Howler followed suit, putting his hat back on his head.  Only seconds later, a massive explosion opened the skies, a cloud of heat bursting downwards towards the earth.  The sky was painted white and orange, as clouds dispersed at the eruption of the blast.  A massive electromagnetic wave washed over the world, as the explosion could be seen from space.  Anyone looking directly at it would have been blinded, and those directly beneath it, would have been scorched alive.  Electronic equipment all over the Western Seaboard and parts of Japan would fail, planes would fall from the sky, and even submarines would sink as their equipment went dead.  An explosion of this scale had never been recorded, and was impossible to measure, as hundreds of thousands of lives were lost.  

Fortunately for the survivors, it wasn't over.  As the magical force pinning them to the ground was lifted, they were now free to move about as they pleased.  Howler and Gerald both recited the name of their savior and enemy in unison, as they looked to his now frail body.

"Alastor," they both remarked.

Gerald scowled, as his dragon roared, screeching at the skies.  "Shut up!" he commanded, though the dragon would not remain silent.  He approached the armored god, stomping as he clambered over twisted steel and broken glass. 

Alastor, the god of Balance.  The one who had failed to secure M.A.R.K. in the first place.  His once shimmering white armor was now cracked, falling piece by broken piece from his body.  His ethereal body was now exposed, as his aura only glowed faintly.  The sword on his back had shattered, it's glowing pieces humming softly at his feet.  His exposed heart was beating rapidly, as Gerald drew closer.  Using all of his strength, even Alastor was now broken at Gerald's might.  He had almost nothing to fight back with. 

Howler attempted to stop him, but as he got up, Gerald kicked him squarely in the jaw, causing Howler to roll over and collapse.  Gerald stood before Alastor now, sliding his hand beneath the god's chin as he forced Alastor to look him in the face.  "We had a deal, Alastor," he said with his one good arm under the god's neck.  "You would not interfere if I restored things.  After I'm through."

Alastor shoved Gerald's hand away, as he struggled to his feet.  "You've gone too far, Gerald.  Your madness would devour this world.  I cannot allow that.  You must release--UNH!" Alastor's words were cut short, as he released an audible gasp.  Gerald's hand was now on Alastor's heart, and was grasping it tightly.

"Allow?  I don't remember asking for your permission, Balance god!"  With a sickening squishing sound, Alastor collapsed once more to his knees, Gerald's hand still in his chest.  The old man pried the heart from the god, still beating.  "This is what becomes of those who stand against me."  Beams of light began piercing through Alastor's body, as he suddenly resembled a cheese grater.  With his dying breath, Alastor cursed Gerald, stretching out a hand to his enemy.  The god's body fell limp, as he faded from the world and Gerald began to consume his heart.  The contestants would look to Gerald now who's own body began to glow, crimson blood spilling down his jaw.  Howler looked away, sickened at the sight of this.

His wounds closed, and his arm began to regenerate at a sickening rate.  The dragon that once surrounded him began to shrink, as it withdrew into his body.  Gerald's blue aura changed colors, as it turned to a deep, royal purple.  He stretched his arms and fingers, as he wiped the blood from his face.  He felt good, as this new found strength grew inside of him.  And he decided to test it now, on something simple.

Turning his attention to the broken platform, he concentrated.  The metal began to twist again, straightening itself out, stretching, melting, and molding itself back whole.  Oh, but that was too easy for Gerald.  He wanted to do more.  With Alastor's heart, he wanted to do so much more.

The platform began to shake, and the contestants would notice that it was rising again.  This time however, it was not automated, nor was it designed with this intent.  The platform was pulled from it's support structure, a loud crash thundering below the contestants as Gerald turned his head to the sky.  Placing his arms behind his back, Gerald looked upwards, as the platform continued to rise.  

It rose quickly, and the survivors had quickly reached fifty thousand feet.  But they were still going.  As they passed the clouds, they could see nothing but white for as far as the eyes can see.  Still, the platform continued to rise.  As they continued to climb, a magical barrier began forming over the platform, now supplying oxygen to those inside of it.  And as the barrier completed, the survivors could look upwards, as the platform began to breach the atmosphere.  They had reached the very edge of Earth's orbit, with nothing to look forward to other than an endless drop to their deaths.

Thinking to himself, he could just leave them there.  However, loose ends was not something Gerald could live with.  With his previous magical barrier having been exposed, he had to change tactics, and so his aura resonated it's purple glow.  He turned his back to the contestants now, as he looked down over the Earth.  

"It's disgusting, isn't it?" he said to no one in particular.

"There are so many disgusting people down there.  They don't do the horrible things that they do for sport or for fun.  They just do.  And it's sad and boring.  And yet," he said turning back to the contestants.  "Here I am with the most disgusting beings I've ever had the displeasure of hosting," he said opening and closing his palm, exercising it.  "When we're finished here," he began, walking forwards slowly.  "I'm going to trap you.  I'm going to create your own personal worlds where you can watch me kill those you know and love over and over again.  Each and every one of you.

And I will leave you there.  Forever."

Gerald leaned forwards, drawing back a fist.  "Let's enjoy this."

Archived