Super Metroid

~NOiSE~

I played it and... it was okay.

The game is definitely fun, but it wouldn't be something I would play through again.  Fusion and the Prime series are better games, anyways.  But this will always be better than the original Metroid.

I played it and... it was okay.

The game is definitely fun, but it wouldn't be something I would play through again.  Fusion and the Prime series are better games, anyways.  But this will always be better than the original Metroid.

I agree with Lonk so much here.

To be honest, in my opinion, Super Metroid was kinda uninteresting at times, and I personally think the music could have been a lot better, even for SNES standards. Games like Live A Live and Final Fantasy VI are prime examples of SNES games with great soundtracks.

I agree with Lonk so much here.

To be honest, in my opinion, Super Metroid was kinda uninteresting at times, and I personally think the music could have been a lot better, even for SNES standards. Games like Live A Live and Final Fantasy VI are prime examples of SNES games with great soundtracks.

Yeah the soundtrack wasn't really interesting.  Outside of Lower Brinstar and Maridia, there wasn't much in the game's soundtrack that allured me.

Part of what I feel makes Super Metroid so good is that it really established a lot of the things that became tradition in other Metroid games, some being items/powerups, the tendency to backtrack, the little tricks used by speedrunners and sequence breakers, and apparently is a host to a lot of different completion paths because of it.

I personally never cared much for sequence breaking or speedrunning, nor do I have the skills (or patience to acquire said skills), but it's an extremely solid game, and outstanding for its time.

I've played them all and Super Metroid is the best. No weak music in my opinion, and figuring out what to do next is always so rewarding. There's lots of backtracking but one should go into a Metroid game recording expecting that.

Also agreed with evilfusion, the game certainly holds up though.

I felt that Echoes is the best in the series mainly due to the greater emphasis on combat and the exploration and platforming segued so well into it.  Everyone will disagree with me on that, but the light and dark beam mechanic really brought the game into a different dimension of playing (no pun intended).

I felt that Echoes is the best in the series mainly due to the greater emphasis on combat and the exploration and platforming segued so well into it.  Everyone will disagree with me on that, but the light and dark beam mechanic really brought the game into a different dimension of playing (no pun intended).

All the Prime games are phenomenal. I like Prime 1 more than 2, but Echoes is definitely good, just they ramped up the difficulty and tediousness a touch too much at times. And I never played Prime 3 because lack of Wii.

All the Prime games are phenomenal. I like Prime 1 more than 2, but Echoes is definitely good, just they ramped up the difficulty and tediousness a touch too much at times. And I never played Prime 3 because lack of Wii.

I haven't beaten Echoes yet but I agree about the difficulty and tediousness, the early dark world sections made me want to die *exaggeration*

I'll play Prime 3 as soon as I finish 2, I have the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii.  

I might be in the minority here, but I adored the difficulty and tediousness of the game.  It kept me on my toes and dying gave you an awesomely terrifying game over screen.

I might be in the minority here, but I adored the difficulty and tediousness of the game.  It kept me on my toes and dying gave you an awesomely terrifying game over screen.

Difficulty is fine. I liked difficulty. Tediousness is...just annoying. Especially when combined with difficulty, so dying makes you do another huge gauntlet of mildly annoying tasks. I vaguely remember this HUGE section between save points, which thankfully wasn't ridiculously hard, but it made the idea of dying terrifying purely because it'd be another half hour + of redoing something. Come to think of it, this was probably right before the Boost Guardian. That save point was wisely placed.

I recently replayed Echoes, and it's a great game when you have even the slightest idea of what you're supposed to be doing. But it's almost merciless to first playthroughs. Some of the puzzles are really obtuse (ANYTHING requiring the Dark Visor), but otherwise, it's excellent.

Super Metroid can be like that too, because it always feels like there's more to find.

Difficulty is fine. I liked difficulty. Tediousness is...just annoying. Especially when combined with difficulty, so dying makes you do another huge gauntlet of mildly annoying tasks. I vaguely remember this HUGE section between save points, which thankfully wasn't ridiculously hard, but it made the idea of dying terrifying purely because it'd be another half hour + of redoing something. Come to think of it, this was probably right before the Boost Guardian. That save point was wisely placed.

I recently replayed Echoes, and it's a great game when you have even the slightest idea of what you're supposed to be doing. But it's almost merciless to first playthroughs. Some of the puzzles are really obtuse (ANYTHING requiring the Dark Visor), but otherwise, it's excellent.

Super Metroid can be like that too, because it always feels like there's more to find.

I agree. Super Metroid felt better to me though, finding out where to go and exploring new places was always very rewarding. I also love all the secret weapons and abilities the manual doesn't tell you about.

Archived