[Finished]Cutthroat Card Maker

9772mo.png

Hello card makers, and welcome to Cutthroat Card Maker. Four of you will compete in three card making challenges. At the end of each challenge, one of you fine card makers will be eliminated. For each challenge, I will assign you requirements for a card you will prepare. We will then have ourselves a little auction, which if you win, you can cause considerable misery to your opponents. What's an auction without some points, so I have here 10,000 points. Each of you will receive 2,500 points to spend as you please, but be careful for if you win, you will only win the points you have left. So, who is willing to enter the competition? :3

[spoiler=Rules]

All YCM Rules apply

Only 4 contestants may participate with preference towards new contestants each contest.

Deadline for entry is a week after this post, unless the spots are filled.

Points available to each person for bidding will be represented in the Auction spoiler. Winner will receive whatever points they have remaining.

Skype is recommended, though not required for the auctions. If you have Skype, post or PM it to me, if it isn't in your profile, if you want to. If not, auctions will take place in group PM.

Auctions shall be held at my discretion, so be prepared to bid or accept the sabotage at any time.

Bids shall start at 50, and will go up in multiples of 10 (e.g. A bids 50, then B bids 150).

The judge shall not know about any of the sabotages, and no contestant shall tell them anything.

Cards are due 72 24 hours after the initial auction is finished, but this does not mean auctions won't happen during card making.

Cards are to be PM'd to me by the deadline.

I have the right to add rules.

[spoiler=Auction]

Giga's Points: 2,500

Forest Fire's Points: 10

Silenth's Points: 2,400

Dramatic Crossroad's Points: 2,420

[spoiler=Card Requirements]

Create an Effect Monster inspired by the dove with a passive effect to match its connection to peace

Alright folks, your judge is Queen DeVille, and I present her verdict.

[spoiler=Dramatic Crossroad]

335bd38.jpg

You can reveal this card in your hand and shuffle 1 other "Graydle" Card from your hand or side of the field to the Deck; draw 1 card, then if that card is a "Graydle" monster, you can Special Summon that monster and this card (from your hand). You can Special Summon "Graydle Fish" only once per turn this way.

So I feel this card really missed the point of the requirement altogether. It doesn't recycle as much as it mulligans, which sort of troubles me. At the same time, the wording of this card lets you use it an unlimited amount of times. So essentially now Graydles have:

- Mulligan

- Half of Star Seraph Soverignity with Tuner status

- An unlimited number or the above usage, albeit until you SS it, but if you have a 2nd in hand you don't even have to and can just keep going

I feel this is too much and essentially is telling the player they deserve 100% consistency and free monsters, which is of corse not the case.

[spoiler=Giga]

UhBnlud.png?1

2 Level 4 monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target up to 2 of your banished monsters; Shuffle those targets into your Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card, then, if one target was LIGHT and the other was DARK, destroy 1 card on the field.​

You know, I actually kinda like this. This ain't bad at all. The flavor is on point, it takes some work to set up accordingly, but it is on point. It doesn't recover any 2 cards either unlike the formerly Limited Primal Seed that earned itself there for that reason alone. I'm not sure how I feel about the non targeting destruction, and I would have preferred maybe another draw or more specific destruction, but otherwise it is a really solid card I could enjoy seeing in the game.

[spoiler=Silenth]

Cylinder Magician of the Moon

Rank 3 WIND

Spellcaster/Effect

2 Level 3 monsters

During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 of your removed from play Rank 4 or lower Xyz Monsters; Special Summon it, then attach this card and all Xyz Materials attached to this card to that Summoned monster. If this card is detached as an Xyz Material to activate a monster effect: You can target up to 2 of your removed from play Level 3 monsters; return them to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Cylinder Magician of the Moon" once per turn.

1400/2200​

So this is where I get kinda concerned. The problem with this is the loops it causes. Mainly, the things Burning Abyss can do with this card and Barbar. As a BA player, I would run multiple Barbar solely for the sake of abusing this card. In fact, there is a loop:

1. Barbar banish 3, Dante, Barbar, and another BA

2. Make this, use its effect to fetch Dante

3. Detach it to recover Barbar and the other BA

And you can keep looping it until either the opponent is out of resources or the burn kills them. Either way, it isn't a pretty sight to see. I really in general outside of this see no use for it, and the only potential things I can see from it are mostly degenerate.

[spoiler=Forest Fire]

Skull Patron of Dark Souls

Rank 1 DARK

Zombie/Xyz/Effect

0 ATK/ 2000 DEF

2 Level 1 monsters

Once per turn: You can detach an Xyz Material from this card; target a Level 1 monster in your Graveyard, shuffle that target into your deck. When this card is destroyed by a card effect: Send the top card of your deck to the Graveyard.​

And this is where we cross not so great territory. The implied use for this seems to be Wights, but it feels rather counterproductive. Recycling Wightprince is maybe cool, but the effort it takes is just not worth the effect. The float is also really subpar, and doesn't help the intended use at all. I don't really get this one in general.

[spoiler=Final Verdict]

In the end, after looking back on these, I feel Dramatic Crossroad should be the one to go. His card really doesn't match the requirements, and in the end doesn't offer anything fair or appreciative. It just feels kinda there as "Hey, Graydle support that shuffles stuff!" and not much that goes on what is asked.

Sorry Dramatic Crossroad, but it's time to put your points back in the case. It was a pleasure having you. And for everybody else, card requirement is coming up.

[spoiler=Giga]

Geargia Dynamo

**** EARTH/Machine

If you control a "Geargia" monster, you can special summon this card (from your hand). You can only control 1 face-up "Geargia Dynamo". Once per turn: You can flip 1 face-down monster on the field into face-up Attack Position. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Geargia" monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster can attack an additional time each battle phase. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)

500/1500

Starting this off with yet another solid entry from Giga. This card not ONLY assists Geargia in the least expectant of ways, but it comes up with a basic but really effective way to fix the Union mechanic: Having the Union Special Summon itself if you control the desired to equip monster. In this case, it not only fulfills the role as a way to setup the equip, but it acts as another Geargia Accelerator. Preventative measures were taken to prevent this from getting silly and to prevent Machine Duplication shenanigans by adding the control 1 clause, which is really nice and well thought out on his part. The equip effect itself, while slightly alerting, is less frightening than one would believe when you take a harder look at it. It turns Gear Gigant X into a threat to believe and XG into one heck of a behemoth. However, XG isn't the more practical of the 2, but Gigant that can attack twice is nice, and accompanying it with another X on board would really help Geargia push easy, which is something they need in the current meta. At the very least, this is a better offering than what the recent OCG exclusives had to offer Geargia.

[spoiler=Silenth]

yxm2tgZ.jpg

You can change this card to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; send it to the Graveyard, and if you do, this card gains DEF equal to the original ATK of the sent monster until your opponent's next End Phase. This card's battle position cannot be changed by card effects.

And here is where the abuse begins. This card is:

Level 4

LIGHT

Machine

0 ATK

Hmmmm.... BLS Fodder, Goblindbergh/Tin Goldfish target, and Machine Dupe. On top of this we have a free send to Grave (Not destroy, send to Grave) that gives it more stats and changes its battle position to be safe from attacks and free to resolve its effect next turn? That's a lot more than too good on something that isn't hard to get 3 out of. Oh wait, the clause on it prevents its own effect from working at all. I rest my case.

[spoiler=Forest Fire]

JMKrYhw.png

Lore: You can target a monster you control; equip this monster from your hand or your side of the field to that target. While this card is equipped to a monster, that monster gains 1000 ATK and this effect.

● This card can make a second attack during each Battle Phase.

So this is a case where really what you can work with and what its range is stat wise really affect it. Had this gone to an archetype with not the highest of ATK, I could dig it. As is, it's super frisky and is a Machine Dupe target. Dupe turns any monster in this case into a double attacker with 3000 additional ATK. What's more, this card has ridiculous synergy with BLS that would give this card a THIRD attack and with Super Soldier you get to re-enact the BLS/Armory Arm OTK all over again. More or less, I don't see this card doing any good.

[spoiler=Final Verdict]

In the end, I think I will have to give the elimination to Silenth. I wanted to eliminate him the first round, but there was an entry more worth it, so I suppose I get my way this time around. His entry was less than thought out, and literally it doesn't even work. The requirements were met, but that's about the only positive thing I can attempt to say on it.

A valiant effort Silenth, but your time at Cutthroat Card Maker has come to an end. As for Giga and Forest, time for you to do battle.

Oh wait, the clause on it prevents its own effect from working at all. I rest my case.

"You can change this card to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls;"

"This card's battle position cannot be changed by card effects."

Anything written before the semicolon is a cost, not an effect. That clause was made to prevent abuse from cards like "Final Attack Orders".

Make another point.

"You can change this card to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls;"

"This card's battle position cannot be changed by card effects."

Anything written before the semicolon is a cost, not an effect. That clause was made to prevent abuse from cards like "Final Attack Orders".

Make another point.

Talk to Queen DeVille, not me.

[spoiler=Giga]

The Third Bird

*** WATER/Winged-Beast

Once per turn, when your opponent Special Summons a monster(s): Change it to Defense Position. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You take no further damage this turn.

200/300

I like this card for many reasons. First off, the typing is beautiful, and I see a slight humor in the pairing with its effect. Its stats could be better, and a Monk clause ("When this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position.") would have been welcome, but otherwise we got a great card here. This is essentially an OPT Eisbahn that protects your LP. This might not sound so good at first, but Eisbahn is a pretty good card with no role attached to it. This card re enacts this. With the combination of backrow like Fiendish Chain and Mirror Force, (Which would be easy to assume a Deck with this card would have) your opponent will be put into silly situations where they have to make something like Castel to put it back since the Xyz they'll summon will be stuck in defense. However, less practical situations aside, the best use of this is as maybe one of the more relevant anti burn sides. Burning Abyss can tech this not only as a Lv3, but it can be used as discard fodder to trigger its second effect. This makes it really nice against stuff like Chicken Game FTK if that ever takes off and any other burn matchups they may have. Is this card going to instantly become a thing? No. But is it a well rounded card with some interesting design choices? Yes.

[spoiler=Forest Fire]

8bjNT9A.jpg

Cannot be Special Summoned. Requires 3 Tributes to Normal Summon (cannot be Normal Set). This card's Normal Summon cannot be negated. When Normal Summoned, cards and effects cannot be activated. This card is unaffected by Spells, Traps, and card effects. Neither player conducts their Battle Phase.

[spoiler=Final Verdict]

And with that, I would like to congratulate Giga as this competition's Cutthroat Card Maker Champion! Consistently he has proven, in spite of minor flaws, to create original ideas in this competition and be able to back it up with rather solid design. I would look forward to seeing any of these if they were released in the next set, and couldn't see a lot going wrong. In all the sabotages and pressure to top the other, this is a rare sight, and so I commend such an effort and am more than happy to declare this winner!

Thank you everyone for making this such a great contest, and I'm glad I could host something like this. Stay tuned for the aftershow post as I get Queen's thoughts on the sabotages.

[spoiler=Round 1 Sabotage Thoughts]

Round 1's sabotages are very interesting. I actually kinda guessed the 2nd sabotage as I was judging that, but I gotta be honest, I don't think the people here put their sabotages to the best of use. I would have assigned the 3 victims Levels 1, 2, and 3. 4 already has too much potential, and really giving it off is asking for it to bite you in the end. 1 or 2 means it either has to be a Tuner or a counterproductive card if it's a Level and Rank 1 and 2 no Deck in that category *in all realisticness* needs the recycling. Level and Rank 3 is something you have to be careful with because of BA and because very few Decks can make use of R3 and Level 3s are about as uncommon. The second sabotage I would have went in on for sure, and really surprised it went for that low. I feel in this case Silenth and Crossroad were both in a bad spot with their ideas as a result, but really Forest Fire I feel could have done a lot better with what he was given with than what he ended up doing looking at it now. Personally if I was in his position I would have turned my R1 into an alternate boss for Wights and give it the Dante float as the recycling effect. The others are self explanatory by this sabatoge really, and I think Giga's entry in this case is a REALLY good example of how to turn a situation like that around.

[spoiler=Round 2 Sabotage Thoughts]

For Round 2, the second sabatoge wouldn't have affected me so I would have just stepped aside, I won't elaborate further at who or what I would have thrown it on. However, knowing his tendencies, I would have thrown it at Giga, and he would have thrown it at me, sabotage or no sabotage.

The first though, I am face palming so hard. If anything, I would have WANTED to have that sabotage. Think about it this way. You have to make a Level 4. Machine-Type Monster. And in this case that's a Union. Machina! I would have been all for that, and it was cool how Giga approached it, but for me it would have been Machina, give it an effect when discarded by Fortress, and give it the basic Union clause. So surprised the bidding ended up like how it did.

[spoiler=Round 3 Sabotage Thoughts]

Round 3 has some solid sabotages, but I gotta be honest that I feel they didn't largely affect the outcome of Forest Fire's entry more than some poor design choices. Myself, I would have been frustrated in Forest's position, but I would have keeping on for sure with no trouble at all. The Fairy typing was nice, but I would be going for WIND Fairy and as to get a "Not-Winged-Beast" feel at the least. Not a ton else to say, other than it feels it was less one sided than it appeared to be.

Just some reactions to the sabotages from our judge. Thank you for tuning into Cutthroat Card Maker, and I'll see you next time.

Archived