Pokemon Region creating help [Mostly Serious]

I wanna do a Pokemon fic.
I wanna make my own region so I have more leeway.

Problem being? Not sure what I need to do to make one.

So what I'm wanting is a sorta checklist of things I need to figure out for this. I don't need, for now, help making it but this could help a lot.

Also I suck at map making so might need help with that.

Professor

Starters

Gyms

Elite Four

Champion

Evil Team + Goal

Probably between 10-16 cities/towns

Significant non-city location

I know cities and such are needed but I don't know how many are a good number and such.

Not in Story Planning cause I don't mind spammish stuff and simple suggestions.

Well, Professor needs to be a tree..., are they a boy or a girl?

Well, from starters I've seen... Water types seem to lean to platypus and dolphins. I made a shark... The other types are... Eh?

But, if you wanna be unique, you could do a different triangle instead of Fire, Grass, and Water, like Fighting, Dark, and Psychic...

I'm not sure what else you want, but I'll try to help as much as you want.

Professor: Aspen

Starters: Any of the Fossils, stray from the path of Type Triangles

Gyms: Dark, Rock, Fire, Steel, Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Poison, 

Elite Four: Water, Psychic, Ghost, Ice

Evil Team: Team Toxin, mainly uses the Zubat and Koffing line as well as Psychic and Dark types.

I need to do something like this as well except different, but procrastination, and wanting to patch a visual novel I have on Steam.

I'm, uh, not sure I was clear. ^^

I mean I need to figure out what I need to figure out.

What details do I need to work out?

Not doing custom Pokemon btw

The starters will be normal starters but might be a mix and match of regions.

However the main characters might actually start with something else.

For the professor make another female one. Maybe name her Sakura if you want a more asian culture inspired region. If not, then you can name her Hawthorn.

For starters let's have something original, a Fire Bug type that is a firefly  uhm, sorry no customs

I want the fire starter from Unova, the grass starter from Johto, the water starter from Sinnoh

Oh.

About nine or ten cities/towns is enough, although you might want to innovate with two Gyms in the same town.

Your evil team needs a goal, so you need a significant non-town location- Spear Pillar, Mt. Pyre, etc.

Your Champion needs to have a chance to prove how powerful they are- an early scuffle or two, perhaps involving your Team, that the Champion curbstomps through.

No custom 'mons, that's kinda depressing . . .

In that case, that's all I can really think of.

I might actually do the two gyms thing, now that I think about it.

And already getting ideas for the Champion thing....

About custom mons. Thing with that is, there's so many Pokemon already and I will want to use them cause I love them, and will have trouble deciding which to use from just that.

If I add more.... ^^;

Might do custom starters though. Not sure. Would have to think a lot about it.

Doing custom starters is probably a good idea, adds a newness to it, and if it is in a new region it would make more sense as it would follow the trend of new starters for each region, don't really have any idea for them though except the fire should be part dark later on.

As for a professor, I don't think we've had a Professor Pine yet.  There's also (off the top of my head) Willow, Sakura, and Yew.

In the UK we have a four-weekly Pokemon magazine called "Pocket World" (That I used to collect), and one of the regular segments is "Ask Professor Yew" where he answers questions asked by readers.

You might need to decide what the region is inspired (Unova is USA, Kalos is France, all others are regions of Japan) That decides the important non-town location and the starters and many other things.

So i think a good place to start is to decide what this region could take inspiration from

Have you decided on which country the region will be based off of?

That might help to decide the characters and stuff.

As for the Elite 4, we can always have a Fairy one (the other types have more/less been done at least once; Dragon has 2-3 stints).

Also the obligatory Dark gym leader; we still need it.

I'm actually thinking of basing the inspiration more on...an idea. Fantasy stuff since it's what I'm used to. Might even do a floating island city.

And nah thanks Draconus but I wanna try to make them myself mostly. I'll ask and see how they seem after but that's it.

Might try and get someone to draw them if I can.

And thanks Dog King. :3

In the UK we have a four-weekly Pokemon magazine called "Pocket World" (That I used to collect), and one of the regular segments is "Ask Professor Yew" where he answers questions asked by readers.

And I thought I just hallucinated that magazine. I remember that when I was younger.

If you're not doing customs, I wouldn't bother with custom starters. I'd just choose an unconventional type triangle. Mix-and-matching starters from different regions is odd. I'd rather just go with three Pokémon that work well as a trio.

I'm actually thinking of basing the inspiration more on...an idea. Fantasy stuff since it's what I'm used to. Might even do a floating island city.

And nah thanks Draconus but I wanna try to make them myself mostly. I'll ask and see how they seem after but that's it.

Might try and get someone to draw them if I can.

And thanks Dog King. :3

COLUMBIA! COLUMBIA! COLUMBIA! 

Archived