[Post-Contest Tune-up] Surge Dragon

Trebuchet MS

PVenBia.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]2 Thunder-Type monsters with the same Level
You can also Special Summon this card by banishing the above Fusion Material Monsters you control. (You do not use "Polymerization".) Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; destroy all face-up monsters your opponent controls. Thunder-Type monsters you control, except "Surge Dragon", cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Bold text is not present on the original version of the card.

I looked at the image of this card and thought of an alt-boss monster for Thunder-based archetypes. Named it "Surge Dragon", and then my thought pattern went as follows:

"What would be a good effect to give it?"

"It's a power surge, maybe make it like Short Circuit?"
"You mad? That's too powerful. At least dial it down to something that looks like Lightning Vortex."

"Still kinda lame. How about striking a medium between that and Raigeki?"

"Seems dece."

There was a miscalculation. This ended up converting anything into Raigeki, as I've overlooked that Lightning Vortex has to also count itself when calculating net advantage swings. It appears despite the resistance or benefit off destruction in recent cards, being able to fry everything without restriction is still pretty damned good.

So I watered down the destruction effect a little. Raigeki is too strong, but jumping down to a Lightning Vortex feels like too much of a dilution. What if it only destroys face-ups?

So I take it that toning this card back to only nuke face-ups rather than turn anything into a Raigeki is sufficient in pulling it out of broken territory?

Making it rely on one of the weakest types in the game did just fine, I would say. Since it requires 2 of them, a simple denko tech isn't enough to do it.

Card is still extremely powerful, and I would say it makes 9vunders really good rogue tier, possibly even pushing into tier 3.

So I take it that toning this card back to only nuke face-ups rather than turn anything into a Raigeki is sufficient in pulling it out of broken territory?

Well... the thing is that from a metagame or competitive perspective you could even get away with the former effect, if only because Thunders are not doing anything to the top tiers and thus the latter could more or less handle this kind of card. But from a balance standpoint, it doesn't feel as right. This last change makes the card more fair by not picking on the opponent's Set monsters, but I still have my doubts. As I said, or implied, on the review: a deck, type, archetype, etc. being underused, rogue or non-top tier shouldn't justify giving them an overly strong card.

Hmm, thinking about it, you can get away with the current effect; discarding 2 cards feels like a drastic nerf. However, you could add a hot red archfiend clause instead: only this card can attack when using the effect. That should make this card less aggressive when it comes to otks.

Archived