Boku Girl

Shradow

124583l.jpg

Suzushiro Mizuki is a 1st year high school student who has the difficulty of constantly being mistaken for a girl. It's so bad that he's endlessly rebuffing the confessions of many men. Even the girl he has a crush on seems to think of him more as one of the girls rather than as a potential love interest.

Meanwhile, the trickster god Loki has grown bored with playing her tricks on her fellow gods. Turning her attention to the mortal world, she targets Mizuki for her next round of fun. The result: Mizuki wakes up with budding breasts and a missing part of his anatomy.

What else is in store for Mizuki and how will he deal with it?

Boku Girl is the first gender bender manga to catch my eye, and so far a few chapters in it's pretty interesting and funny. I really like the art style, too.

i've read all of this back in summer break along with like 30 other manga.

boku girl's romance aspect for the most part is kinda eh, but the comedy is there. i guess if it was a bit shorter and everyone didnt loiter around with no plot so much i'd like it more, but so far the only thing it has left going for me is the comedy.

Sort of reminds me of how Nisekoi was up until recently, but just as that has started to move along quite nicely I'm sure this can as well.

EDIT: So 4 hours after starting, I'm all caught up and I'm not sure what you mean. If anything, things are kinda crazy right now. All the conflict and romance has been great.

The ecchi in this series is interesting, too. It's mostly just out in the open but without it being flaunted around like its fanservice or anything. Though it also goes a bit further than stuff I'm used to [spoiler=such as]Mizuki's make out session with and getting felt up by Takeru, and when she almost masturbated in his bed.

But maaaaaan, reading this from a pro-LGBT perspective is rough as funk lol

Not trying to be rude, it's not like I'm against that, I'm just not sure what you mean by this.

After reading this and about to move onto a yaoi manga, (as well as the fact I really liked the romance aspect in the Warriors books with the cats) I've decided I like any sort of romance.

Just as Agro brought Akagami no Shirayuki-hime to my attention, I've brought this to Agro's attention. We should just keep trading off romance series.

Not trying to be rude, it's not like I'm against that, I'm just not sure what you mean by this.

For the simplest of criticisms (I could point out a lot more), so far homosexuality (the body builder dude) and gender dysphoria (how mc wants to be a guy again) are treated as jokes, pervertedness, and deviancy on multiple occasions. I'm enjoying it despite that, since it's not TOO rough and it does some things in both of those regards that I do kind of like.

I mean it gave me this image which I can spam wherever the funk I want

tumblr_nv83fmIP6n1tnyufso1_540.png

gender dysphoria (how mc wants to be a guy again)

I can't really agree with this second one. Technically, it is gender dysphoria since his psychological identity is opposite of his current female biological identity, but since he was biologically a boy to begin with and only became a girl through Loki's magic, I can't say him wanting to be a boy again and become his original gender is treating gender dysphoria as a joke or anything. If there was someone in the series born as one gender but identifying as the opposite and it was made into humor, then maybe, but the only reason he wants to become a guy is because he actually was one before the transformation.

Like, the mangaka's not making humorous/ecchi situations out of a normal case of gender dysphoria, it's about a guy who got magically transformed into a girl wanting to be a guy again.

I can't really agree with this second one. Technically, it is gender dysphoria since his psychological identity is opposite of his current female biological identity, but since he was biologically a boy to begin with and only became a girl through Loki's magic, I can't say him wanting to be a boy again and become his original gender is treating gender dysphoria as a joke or anything. If there was someone in the series born as one gender but identifying as the opposite and it was made into humor, then maybe, but the only reason he wants to become a guy is because he actually was one before the transformation.

That really doesn't change anything, though. Though when I said joke, I was mainly referring to how the body builder guy is treated, since he's a pretty egregious japanese gay stereotype.

What I was mainly referring to is how for a good time the characters seemed to keep offering the suggestion that maybe he should just stay as a girl because that's who he is. The manga's done a lot better job at this as I've gone reading on, though (considering I'm still into it), especially with his best friend putting his full support in treating him like a guy as much as he can. Even after he kissed him, he felt bad about it and realized he'd done something that made Mizuki feel like he wasn't being treated as a boy. Essentially how the romance goes with him is going to decide how I feel about it.

Also there's the underwear guy, but he's a whole other can of worms I just don't feel like getting into like maybe ever.

There's something I'm missing about Mizuki's thing but I forgot it and would have to go back and I'm lazy so I'm just going to finish this and then give an opinion.

EDIT: Oh, also, i'm gonna call bull on the "he was a guy before, though, so it's not the same as gender dysphoria". He wants to, feels like, and identifies as male. His sex is female and he is uncomfortable with that. Whether or not he used to be a guy is irrelevant to the point.

Archived