New Possible Sub-Type

Ghoulish

Hey everyone, i'm new to Duel Portal and had an idea for a possible Sub-Type I was considering making. I am aware most Sub-Types user created are silly, which is why I wanted to make one that had a single reason as to why the cards are that type rather then just based off appearance or a deviation of an existing Sub-Type.

Sub-Type Name: "Tale". This is so far the term I like most. Was also considering "Story" any better suggestions? Let me know.

Basics of the Sub-Type: The monsters of this Sub-Type are intended to tell a story through the duel, this can come from its own advancement in level and ATK, Type, Name, Element or Effects.

Details:

- "Tale" monsters will usually start with a Normal Monster that Gradually progresses based off its own story (card text)

- "Tale" may or may not be accompanied with a secondary Type. I am leaning more towards this then having solely "Tale".

- Similar to the old "LV" monsters.

- "Tale" monsters will also have a support Archtype normally.

Quick Example:

5-Headed Baby Dragon

Level 4 Normal Monster

Attribute: Light

Type: Tale/Dragon

Text: "A once well treated young friendly Dragon, whose mistreatment and abuse eventuated into creating a monster of complete Darkness. It has been said that it is far from saving and is completely lost in its own anger."

Anyway thats the gist of it, any rule violations or thoughts on the type let me know, thanks.

Honestly, overall, this doesn't feel like it does anything you can't just do with a LV-archetype with flavor/lore behind its level ups. There's still a lot that can be done with the LV concept that a lot of people explore, and this honestly just feels like "LV" monsters with a different name.

Thanks for the feedback, essentially, the whole "story" aspect is based on progression or degression or both through various aspects, where as level is just leveling up. I think when explored this sub type can have alot more diversity than you might think, like how it can enhance an existing archtype.

Thanks for the feedback, essentially, the whole "story" aspect is based on progression or degression or both through various aspects, where as level is just leveling up. I think when explored this sub type can have alot more diversity than you might think, like how it can enhance an existing archtype.

You can do more than with LV unless people start LV downing. Tales as I assume allow you to move up and down, to shift between decisions. Like how Inpachi changes from start to finish.

Yes exactly, the diversity of it is what to me was appraling eg:

4 Brothers, Knight

Normal level 2

EARTH

"The youngest of 4 brothers, he is known to be the most stubborn and as always needing protection from the 3 older protectors."

- This could lead to 3 brothers of slightly higher value being used to as divergents for negating attacks or effects from the younger brother.

No. The brothers would have effects, however their effects would entail whats described in the lore of the normal monster. So because they protect the younger brother one might have an effect like this:

"If "4 Brothers Knight" is selected as an attack target; You can Special Summon this card (from your hand), if you do: Negate your opponent's attack." (My OCG sucks)

Tale monsters require some type of lore to help introduce the rest of the sets effects, itll be briefly described in the normal card what their effects would revolve around eg: protection, progression, evolution, (self/or) destruction or even a journey.

Thats what i like about the idea, there is practically no limits on what the tale is about, theres no rulings or rules required.

There could be support cards as well eg: A Spell Card that "Advances a Tale" as well.

Wait, either I dont get the concept or this new subtype does literally nothing. So you're saying the effects are tied to the lore, which is totally not something we cant do using normal card mechanics without introducing a subtype, as provem by several custom archetypes here, as well as by Konami themselves with the Duel Terminal cards.

Basically, you are trying to create a subtype for the purpose that archetypes exist.

This is a reasonable assumptions. Although 'LV' is a subtype it is also an archetype, a very loose one at that. The Tale subtype is intended to work the similarly as a loosely supported archetype of monsters with individual sets.

exa.

ZMWd1Gm.jpg

Amalia is a girl who's family was lost to a demon attack.

(insert spell/trap card detailing story)

oEUOPxn.jpg

[spoiler=Lore] (1) If a Level 3 or lower "Amalia's Tale" monster you control would be targeted (by/for an attack/effect) you can reveal this card from your hand to negate the attack/effect, and if you do, Special Summon this monster. (2) When this monster is Special Summoned: target a Level 3 or lower "Amalia's Tale" monster you control and place it on the bottom of the deck (if able). (3) If a monster you control is removed from the field by a card effect: you can conduct battle between this card and a monster your opponent controls, and if you do, this card gains 500 ATK during the Damage Step only.

Years later she becomes a knight-trainee. Her skill and talent for combat allows her to gain notice by her superiors.

(insert spell/trap card denoting promotion)

flpKnUr.jpg

[spoiler=Lore](1) During the End Phase: if a Level 4 "Amalia's Tale" monster you control destroyed a monster (by battle or effect) you can Special Summon this monster (from your hand) by placing that monster on the bottom of your deck. (2) If this card battles a Fiend-Type monster and would be destroyed as a result of battle: destroy the monster this card battled instead. (3) Once per turn when another non-DARK monster you control would be destroyed (by battle/effect) you can change this Attack Position monster to Defense Position, and if you do, destroy the card that would destroy your monster instead. Also, this card gains 600 DEF until the End Phase.

A few years following Amalia's promotion to Free Knight, it is discovered that she possesses a special power that allows to act as a demon slayer, when coupled with her training as a knight, she has become a symbol of heroism throughout the land.

(insert spell/trap card detailing the coming of a great demon)

PV5ycww.jpg

you can add a series of normal monsters depicting some other parts of her story, alternative paths to heroism or villainy. etc, etc. And support for her tale would exist within her specific archetype/series. While she would be supported by "Tale" support.

Can you produce an example of your vision of a [.../Tale] monster?

The thing is, right now its hard to see the divergence. Also, if it helps I wanted to make something somewhat similar. A series called 'the evolving story' that made the game more interactive. Card effects that allowed your opponent to choose the outcome. Which would be more or less beneficial to yourself.

Archived