Fire Emblem: Curse of the Goddess [OOC/PG-16/Not Accepting]

Sethera

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, goodie. Thanks. Actually, can you give me a quick primer on what anima tomes are available? I know they tend to drastically change how anima magic works from game to game, so I'd like to hear a definitive opinion in order to decide how my character's magic is gonna work. (I'm not gonna give her any unique equipment, I don't think, so.)

Ooh, goodie. Thanks. Actually, can you give me a quick primer on what anima tomes are available? I know they tend to drastically change how anima magic works from game to game, so I'd like to hear a definitive opinion in order to decide how my character's magic is gonna work. (I'm not gonna give her any unique equipment, I don't think, so.)

Well we have anima and dark so basically anything that falls under those two things. Fire, Thunder, Wind, ect for anima and...well Dark stuff like Flux ect for Dark.

Also we really need to get people to finish, announce they're finished, get accepted, and get this thing underway. Been busy, both me and Sethera, so that's partially on us.

Sorry guys. I figured I'd wait a bit before accepting applications to give people time to finish their characters, but I might have let this go for too long.

So I should be able to read and review all the apps by tonight, and if all goes well, have the IC up within the next few days, if not sooner. 

If your character still isn't finished by the time the IC starts, they'll have to be recruited later down the line once they're finished and accepted. So I guess this is a last call to arms.

Okay so from what I've seen...

[spoiler=Meifing]

The lack of age is a bit iffy. I'd rather you just give a concrete number, though of course that doesn't mean you have to reveal it in the IC. For personality you mentioned morals but you didn't really say what kind of morals she goes by. Also she wouldn't know about the princess' curse, as Catriona hasn't told anybody about it yet.

The promoted class (which you never did discuss with us so no on that) and amount of tomes is a bit worrying considering we're trying to prevent overpowered characters here and that could easily be abused. Especially considering the fact said tomes have more than one use and she has three of them, when in Fire Emblem most characters have one or two tomes and a single tome can only do one type of attack. So limit the tomes to a single attack for sure and also cut down on the number of tomes.

[spoiler=Anaïs]

Looks fine mostly, though as Cow has said, please be sure to explain the type of morality you mean whenever you mention them, as morality is something that changes depending on the person. Background looks fine, but just going to say to be sure, to make sure to write that stuff realistically. If you put it in the app, be prepared to back it up IC, since trauma of that sort tends to linger.

We already went over the weapon so yeah otherwise it's fine.

[spoiler=Alois]

Okay so Cow and I have zero problems with this app. I mean, overall looks great. He's not too OP or "special snowflake" so that's an automatic plus in my book. Good job. ^_^

[spoiler=Edrick]

Eragon reference is nice. Also nice description on the personality and biography. The stats are a bit iffy though since a C is average for a soldier so he's actually fairly powerful for a boy straight from the farm. Otherwise looks good.

[spoiler=Malu'kai]

Okay looks good but there are a few hiccups. For instance, the goddess would have been sealed at the time so she wouldn't have heard any prayers. Basically imagine her trapped in a crystalline prison where she has no communication with the outside world (though that wasn't her literal situation). Healing magic draws on the remnants of her power in the world and the faith of the caster.

Three B ranks is a bit much and if you're going to have a rescue staff, it'd probably be super fragile. Also no healing staff seems a bit odd for a healer. 

[spoiler=Asura]

Weight's a bit heavy but I assume that's all muscle. The stars thing is a bit confusing but I inferred the meaning well enough. As for the stats, I'd prefer no A especially combined with a B. The two swords thing is a bit iffy. Maybe once he becomes a swordmaster he can wield two? Or he's in training to wield two but he's not that good with it yet. Otherwise the character looks fine and he has an interesting personality.

[spoiler=Feray]

Well appearance looks fine, though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "suit-like" robes since what immediately comes to mind when I hear that is something like a modern-day suit, which doesn't exist in this time period. Also CowCow says he's going to call her Barbie. For personality and bio, looks fine, though all-girl schools wouldn't exist in this world, though they do segregate based on social class. For stats, three Bs is a bit much. I'd say lower one of them and it'd be good. And Elfire would be considered D-Rank so it's not too overpowered. So yeah, just make the necessary changes and you should be good to go.

[spoiler=Tarizo]

Okay so new app. Appearance is still fine. The personality is a bit extreme though still fine. As for the biography, it's amusing, though if you go with the whole hired to find the NPC we might have to figure the details out cuz plot, but that's not a bad thing. About the class and stuff though...I'm concerned about the number of sword users, especially special sword users. If that class is really what you want to go with though, we can try to figure something out.

[spoiler=Vincent]

Appearance is amusing and the League reference is also amusing. Personality isn't anything unexpected but I still like it. Biography is entertaining. Another axe-user, which is welcome. The fighting style doesn't seem to match with his stats because of his poor defense, but as most of our characters are hit-and-run glass cannons this change in battle strategy is refreshing. As Cow said, the specialness is only in appearance, so should be fine since it's not a special sword. Overall, I like him.

[spoiler=Hartello]

Okay, first of all, read through my app. It lists the paragraph requirements. You're a paragraph short on appearance, personality, and biography. Stats are fairly balanced, a bit high in terms of pure numbers but since the strongest is in HP it's not overpowered, so they're fine there. But yeah, try and expand on what you have, spoiler the relevant sections, and brush up on your spelling so as to prevent confusion.

[spoiler=Eleanor]

Sooo...the way you have this app formatted makes it a bit confusing, but that's just me nitpicking. However, the appearance...29.5 lbs isn't realistic, and we are basing this off reality--albeit fantastic medieval reality but still. Also, like I told Kexotero, please try and read the requirements in the app skeleton. At least two paragraphs. Biography makes no sense, and explains nothing. As for the class, I'm only accepting one more sword-based character, and as it is, the other person's app is far more put-together than yours. Your stats are also a bit too overpowered. Try lowering one of the Bs and another stat as well.

[spoiler=Link]

Looks fine to me. Appearance, personality, and biography are more than sufficiently detailed. Stats are obviously fine considering Cow and I were the people to generate them. XD Inventory looks fine though you might want to mention the Aquila regiment in the bio. Yeah, looks good.

[spoiler=Rena]

Rena's personality is entertaining. She kind of reminds me of Cynthia from Awakening. Her biography is also entertaining. Her winged mule also seems fun. Stats are fine, though the combat style is a bit deep for me. Though I guess it doesn't matter as you're not going to use her anyway.

[spoiler=Shiro]

The appearance is fine, even the frog form, though it still makes me chuckle when I see it. Seems like a sweet guy, though it sounds like he's lived an adventurous life, so yeah, both personality and biography are good to go. Stats are fine, as well as everything else.

[spoiler=Ciela]

Name looks familiar. So does the appearance. I'd say the personality and biography are sufficient. Stats are a bit high but because she's a healer I'll accept it. Having the elixir is a bit borderline but due to her background I'll allow it. I like how you give her extreme luck, but it doesn't necessarily have to be good.

[spoiler=Sienna]

Appearance is fine, though the cat tail is amusing. Personality and biography aren't amazing, but they're all right. Wasn't really a fan of the magic beaststone thing but I'll make an exception in this case, as long as she's not able to cast magic and use physical attacks in that form, as that makes it less of a trade-off and more a "special snowflake" thing.

[spoiler=Tsetseg]

Appearance is super cute. The personality is cute too. The background makes sense given her personality, and the stats are fine too. She has a genius fighting style that I don't know how to handle though. You shoot arrows from a bow?! Alack, alay!

[spoiler=Adelheid]

Name is familiar as always. I like the appearance a lot. Her personality seems amusing, and the biography works as well. The stats work, though I find it funny she has the opposite luck of your other character. The relationship she has with her pegasus is interesting as well.

[spoiler=Azar]

I like how you made the appearance fit in with her background. Same with the name. The personality is nice, and the biography is really interesting, so good job there. Stats we had to work on a bit, but I think we found something that works for all of us. The fighting style is interesting too, so looking forward to seeing how things work out there.

[spoiler=Amie]

I like the name, fits with her character. The personality and biography are pretty good, though not really anything special. The stats are a bit low, but it works for what she does. Can't really see anything that needs changing, at the moment.

Announcement!

So everybody who has made the necessary changes to their app has been approved and added to the official character roster.

In between now and when I make the IC (which should be soon...I'll try and get on that) if anybody makes an app that is accepted they will also be added to the roster and be able to post from the start. However, if your app is accepted after I post the IC they'll have to be recruited later down the line.

Okay so from what I've seen...

[spoiler=Meifing]

The lack of age is a bit iffy. I'd rather you just give a concrete number, though of course that doesn't mean you have to reveal it in the IC. For personality you mentioned morals but you didn't really say what kind of morals she goes by. Also she wouldn't know about the princess' curse, as Catriona hasn't told anybody about it yet.

The promoted class (which you never did discuss with us so no on that) and amount of tomes is a bit worrying considering we're trying to prevent overpowered characters here and that could easily be abused. Especially considering the fact said tomes have more than one use and she has three of them, when in Fire Emblem most characters have one or two tomes and a single tome can only do one type of attack. So limit the tomes to a single attack for sure and also cut down on the number of tomes.

[spoiler=Anaïs]

Looks fine mostly, though as Cow has said, please be sure to explain the type of morality you mean whenever you mention them, as morality is something that changes depending on the person. Background looks fine, but just going to say to be sure, to make sure to write that stuff realistically. If you put it in the app, be prepared to back it up IC, since trauma of that sort tends to linger.

We already went over the weapon so yeah otherwise it's fine.

[spoiler=Alois]

Okay so Cow and I have zero problems with this app. I mean, overall looks great. He's not too OP or "special snowflake" so that's an automatic plus in my book. Good job. ^_^

[spoiler=Edrick]

Eragon reference is nice. Also nice description on the personality and biography. The stats are a bit iffy though since a C is average for a soldier so he's actually fairly powerful for a boy straight from the farm. Otherwise looks good.

[spoiler=Malu'kai]

Okay looks good but there are a few hiccups. For instance, the goddess would have been sealed at the time so she wouldn't have heard any prayers. Basically imagine her trapped in a crystalline prison where she has no communication with the outside world (though that wasn't her literal situation). Healing magic draws on the remnants of her power in the world and the faith of the caster.

Three B ranks is a bit much and if you're going to have a rescue staff, it'd probably be super fragile. Also no healing staff seems a bit odd for a healer. 

[spoiler=Asura]

Weight's a bit heavy but I assume that's all muscle. The stars thing is a bit confusing but I inferred the meaning well enough. As for the stats, I'd prefer no A especially combined with a B. The two swords thing is a bit iffy. Maybe once he becomes a swordmaster he can wield two? Or he's in training to wield two but he's not that good with it yet. Otherwise the character looks fine and he has an interesting personality.

The promoted class was actually a mistake on my part, I must have mixed up shaman and druid, apologizes for that. Other than that I can pretty easily fix everything else up

Tomorrow, he says. Tomorrow, he says.

Finally done with this. I'll assume from the Anima answer that we're doing a vaguely Path of Radiance to Awakening type thing with the three elements of fire, thunder, and wind, and I'll figure out what the higher ranked tomes are once we get past the E-rank stuff.

Also, here's a stupid question - why is Inera called the Dark Goddess if she's the source of light magic and dark magic opposes her?

[spoiler=Feray Karga]

Identity Information
Name: Feray Karga
Birthplace: Cardas, in Isauria
[spoiler=Appearance]

Feray's tall, dark, and handsome. She's cultivated herself to be a ladykiller, dressing in stylish, suit-like (and deceptively rugged) mage's robes and carrying herself with a swagger that rarely wavers. That said, she didn't really need to try very hard to impress people with her looks. Her genetics blessed her with impressive height (she's 5' 7”) and even more impressive curves. Her face is quite striking, with a defined nose, a mole on her cheek, and bright green eyes. Once her hair trailed down her back in waves, but that was back when she could bathe every day. Now she wrestles with her dark tangles on a regular basis, refusing to cut her hair out of sheer vanity. She often ties it into a low ponytail to get it out of the way, though when she really wants to impress someone she'll comb it into submission, no matter how long it takes.

On the road, Feray wears a standard brown traveller's cloak that's a bit too big for her, so she can retreat under its cavernous hood if she doesn't want her striking face to catch attention. In town, Feray is a bit of a fashion plate in spite of her fluctuating finances. She wears her traveller's clothes if she wants to be just another traveller, but she has a couple of fashionable outfits as well as her mage's robes she can swap out depending on what she wants to do.

I haaaate specifying weights, it's so arbitrary, but if I have to I'll say 140-145 pounds. She's not strong, but curves like hers do have weight.

[spoiler=Personality]

When you first see Feray Karga it looks like nothing can bring her down. She always wears a smile on her face, or at least a wry smirk. Her eyes glimmer with wit. She constantly tosses barbs around at everything she sees, some more pointed than others. And context seems to have very little to do with this. Whether she's playing around in bars, chatting with her friendlier acquaintances, or facing down large, angry people who want to kill her with their stabby things, she's still the one with a snarky comment on hand. Not many natural things can intimidate her, though supernatural spooks can still scare her. In general, though, she's the one who'll still be making cracks when it looks like the sky is falling.

She's not necessarily cheerful, though. She tries to project "debonair" instead. Her voice is husky, her curves are considerable, and when she wants to she can really put the moves on someone. These days she mostly does that to scam drunken young men out of their money, but a few years ago she was perfecting her technique on her crushes. That said, she's not actually as cool as she tries to be; she's just trying to be the dashing rogue, and is reasonably good at saving face when she fails to do that.

She seems at once irresponsible and unflappable to the outside world. But if you found her in her tent alone at night, you'd see someone much different. You might find someone with battered reading glasses and old spellbooks fervently working on magical techniques yet unknown. There would be the trace of the student she once was, someone with a considerable intellect with the drive to put it to good use. You might also find her studying military tactics well into the night as she struggled to be of use to the party (and especially Penelope). Or you might find her silently staring into the night sky. Regardless, if you caught her eyes at that time, you'd see a scared, lonely girl. You might remember that she hasn't had a friend in the world for years.

Then again, as soon as she noticed you, she'd put that smile on again like a well-worn mask, and you'd convince yourself those lonely eyes were just a trick of the moonlight.

[spoiler=Biography]

Once, a long time ago, Feray Karga was a respectable citizen. Well, maybe “respectable” is a strong word. She was born to Elmas and Demir Karga, two… let's say legitimate businessmen. They weren't exactly respectable, selling imported goods of various sorts from the south, but they were rich, which is the next best thing. So Feray enjoyed a semi-respectable upbringing in Cardas, a perfect haven for rich merchants.

This young, respectable Feray was a voracious reader and avid student. Unfortunately, she also had a taste for entertainment of the more disreputable sort. She'd sneak away to watch circuses and plays and races and other such seedy things. Her parents were also fond of song and spectacle, and they were often too busy enjoying them, counting their money, and lavishing attention on Feray's younger brother to keep an eye on Feray herself. So despite her academic and magical acuity, she still managed to fall in with the Wrong Crowd.

Amusingly enough, it wasn't her drinking or carousing that finally got Feray into trouble. It was something far worse – falling in love. In the later years of her schooling, she fell for one of her classmates, which was a problem, since this classmate was a young lady. Their affair was discovered, the other girl threw Feray under the carriage, and suddenly Feray's parents took an entirely different tone with her. They withdrew her from school and resolved to keep her shut in their house until she was marriageable and people had forgotten about the incident. Their plan worked for all of three days, after which time Feray ran away from home.

Her escape didn't go quite as cleanly as she liked. To elude the law, she slipped through the Dran Mountains. The journey was trying for her; she never speaks of it to others. For a while she had to steal, gamble, and occasionally explode her way through central Mysia. She eventually made her way to Sochen, where she literally ran into Penelope outside a book shop. Their group needed fighters, and she'd built up some combat skill weaving her way through Mysia. How could Feray refuse? They were desperate enough not to ask questions, she was desperate enough not to ask questions... They were meant to be. And besides, Penelope was cute.

Combat Information
Class: Mage
[spoiler=Stats]

• HP: D

• Str: E

• Mag: B

• Skl: C

• Spd: C

• Lck: B

• Def: E

• Res: C

[spoiler=Fighting Style]

Feray's first weapon is psychology; her second is fireballs. Feray knows how to lead her opponents on when she needs to, feigning desperation and helplessness. And when the time comes, Feray knows how to exploit the full terror of a mage slinging fireballs across the battlefield. She'll spread magical flames across the field to terrorize her opponents into submission. One-on-one, Feray wants to get as far away from her opponent as possible, and she'll do whatever it takes to escape mêlée range – which makes sense, since she takes hits like wet paper. In a pitched battle, Feray is artillery. She can take down pretty much anyone she sets her sights on with big, bombastic blasts, but again, she takes hits like wet paper. If only she could figure out how armour worked she'd be a monster. As it is, she's a very powerful attacker, but she needs an escort or she's going down. In close combat, her lack of combat training shows.

Inventory: An Elfire tome and a couple Vulneraries is the extent of her combat inventory. A professional fighter she is not. (That is, assuming we're doing things Path of Radiance/Awakening style and Elfire is a D-rank tome.)

Other Information
None to speak of. I haven't written her a theme song, so.

I think the Dark Goddess thing is more thematic. Dark as a word tends to have negative connotations. Really it's to make it not too confusion to readers, I think. can't say for sure.

Will look over your app with Sethera tomorrow hopefully. Meanwhile...

I finished a second character, due to lack of Defense, is on my first post here.

I...really need to decide on themes....

Comments on comments:

This is the least white Barbie I've ever seen.

I understand what you mean about stats, though my counterpoint is - if she can't nuke, she's useless, and if she can't dodge, that also kinda makes her useless. If I have to dock one of those Bs to a C I'll dock Speed, even though it's the most useful, since Luck is the closest stat to Charisma and without magic she turns into Erk, which is not the archetype I was going for.

What I had in mind for the robes was just something vaguely snazzy-looking that she clasps in the middle sometimes to get it to look like an oversized tailcoat sometimes. Just dark robes work fine, though. (Not sure about the colour - IDK how much different dyes cost.)

Comments on comments:

This is the least white Barbie I've ever seen.

I understand what you mean about stats, though my counterpoint is - if she can't nuke, she's useless, and if she can't dodge, that also kinda makes her useless. If I have to dock one of those Bs to a C I'll dock Speed, even though it's the most useful, since Luck is the closest stat to Charisma and without magic she turns into Erk, which is not the archetype I was going for.

What I had in mind for the robes was just something vaguely snazzy-looking that she clasps in the middle sometimes to get it to look like an oversized tailcoat sometimes. Just dark robes work fine, though. (Not sure about the colour - IDK how much different dyes cost.)

The Barbie thing is mostly cause of how it almost sounded like she had a "perfect" look. ^^; Just a little joke.

I get what you mean by the counterpoint but you still need to drop something. We're like level 1-5 here more or less. Charisma is a separate thing that isn't determined by stats so you'd not have to worry about that.

Oh okay that makes sense.

Oh also. "C" speed is average for a normal soldier, so it's not terrible at all.

The Barbie thing is mostly cause of how it almost sounded like she had a "perfect" look. ^^; Just a little joke.

I get what you mean by the counterpoint but you still need to drop something. We're like level 1-5 here more or less. Charisma is a separate thing that isn't determined by stats so you'd not have to worry about that.

Oh okay that makes sense.

Oh also. "C" speed is average for a normal soldier, so it's not terrible at all.

Oh dear. In Fire Emblem, "average for a normal soldier" is atrocious. :P Either way, the point is she can't dodge anything reliably with merely average Speed and no weapon triangle to work with, so she can't get within five feet of an enemy or she'll go down in one punch. I guess she'll have to cling extra close to her escort eeeeeh *shot*

I'm gonna be honest, when I read Feray's appearance I immediately thought of Lancer from Fate/Zero. Just, you know, as a woman instead of a man.

I'd comment on that but I've never seen Lancer from Fate/Zero, ever. Sorry :'o

Oh dear. In Fire Emblem, "average for a normal soldier" is atrocious. :P Either way, the point is she can't dodge anything reliably with merely average Speed and no weapon triangle to work with, so she can't get within five feet of an enemy or she'll go down in one punch. I guess she'll have to cling extra close to her escort eeeeeh *shot*

I'd comment on that but I've never seen Lancer from Fate/Zero, ever. Sorry :'o

Note that we're all the equivalent of starting characters at the moment, so we're not supposed to be super strong. And I think you may be underestimating average soldiers. Either that or our definitions are a bit different. A is the point where you can't get any better. You're a master at it, and you can't really improve. Think weapon ranks. When thinking about it that way, maybe you can see why three Bs is a bit much. You're not the first person I've asked to take out an extra B, either, so yeah. You could bump up an E to a D or a D to a C in exchange, but as it is you're a bit overpowered, especially considering the fact your "junk stats" aren't important for your class anyway.

1) I already said, dump Speed to C. I'll go edit my app if that helps.

2) The joke is that generic map enemies and green units are "average soldiers," and they suuuuck (3-13 archer notwithstanding). Of course, now that I've had to explain it, it's not much of a joke, but... >u>;;

3) Jargon time - again, the point is, no one with a Speed of B or above can expect to reliably dodge things. As it is I'm sacrificing the ability to reliably double-attack enemies and the ability to reliably evade attacks. In roleplaying terms, that means I'm saying Feray will be worthless without an escort. One on one, she goes down in one hit, and with a C speed, she will get hit.

As an aside, if I were trying to minmax I'd drop Luck. Luck does nothing for Feray that her Speed wouldn't, and if she had the Speed she could reliably double-attack enemies, thereby making her our best nuke by far (since Meifing a] can't double-attack reliably and b] can't hit anyone). But I'm not trying to minmax, and painful as it is to keep it, I think dropping Luck would be detrimental to the character. So here we are.

EDIT - I did go edit my app

1) All right.

2) I know what you meant, but I'm thinking of people like Nephenee or Brom. Average for a FE character.

3) The point of this RP is not so we can be one-man killing machines. You have a character that can't reliably evade by itself? Rely on your teammates so you won't have to worry about that. And you'll be able to cover their flank with your fireballs. We're meant to improve as the RP goes on, so it's not like you'll stay with the same stats forever. In addition, a C in speed isn't bad at all, and you'd probably be able to evade at least 50% of enemy attacks, maybe more depending on their skill.

1) All right.

2) I know what you meant, but I'm thinking of people like Nephenee or Brom. Average for a FE character.

3) The point of this RP is not so we can be one-man killing machines. You have a character that can't reliably evade by itself? Rely on your teammates so you won't have to worry about that. And you'll be able to cover their flank with your fireballs. We're meant to improve as the RP goes on, so it's not like you'll stay with the same stats forever. In addition, a C in speed isn't bad at all, and you'd probably be able to evade at least 50% of enemy attacks, maybe more depending on their skill.

Wait, I thought the stats represented your growth potential as well as your "starting stats." How do they actually work? (Also, I already explained I'm not min-maxing and I'm deliberately making choices that are making my character pretty much worthless in battle, so please don't accuse me of min-maxing... that kind of hurts my feelings ._.;)

Re-edited my app regardless

Archived