Sethera

[spoiler=]

Identity Information
Name: Vincent Cervantes
Birthplace: Cardas, Isauria
[spoiler=Appearance:] GangplankLoadScreen.png

Height: 6'4" (193 CM)

Weight: 265 (120 KG)

In the RP he doesn't have the metal hand, or the gun on his shoulder. All credit for the image is given to League of Legends.

[spoiler=Personality:] If I had to describe Vincent in a single sentence, it would be that he is outspoken and ill-tempered. He’s got a crude and offensive nature, made worse by the overpowering smell of cheap rum and blood that is never far behind him. He has a surprisingly long fuse before he explodes, but it is easy to irritate him, leading to the most brutal verbal licking you’ll ever be on the receiving end of. The man has an aura about him that distinguishes him from the crowd, but not in the good way, if you know what I mean.

If you can stomach all of that, however, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you find. Vincent is weathered by his life choices, and more experienced than most ever have the privilege of claiming, something that he’ll tell you if he doesn’t dislike you. His advice is surprisingly good and can apply to anyone that is going to be traveling, revealing a side of him that could even be considered knowledgeable. Of course, he’ll add some snarky remark about how any traveler worth their salt would know that, but it’s a lot less brutal than his normal self. This side is much easier for people to see if he has been forced to lay off his drinking, something he doesn’t do willingly.

His biggest downfall is his inability to adapt. Vincent has seemingly been frozen in time since the day that his sailors were lost and his ship taken back, unable to accept that it will never be the same. When he’s especially drunk it will become obvious, because he’ll start telling stories about his many escapades, but the tales always lead back to the same thing: reality. Once he has finished his story he’ll be irritable and bitter, and want to be left alone to mourn it all over again. He would benefit a lot if he would just let sleeping dogs lie.

Vincent admires people who have a backbone. You’ll get no respect from him until you can prove that you can look him in the eye and hold your ground, which can be difficult against someone of his stature and attitude. He’ll put a lot more effort into giving you some slack if you can manage that, and if you have the nerve to pick a fight with him when he challenges you, he might even like you a little bit. This can be cast in a negative light easily at times due to the fact that embodying this trait makes him extremely stubborn, to the point of insisting he is right when the evidence is looking him in the eye. He’ll sit and die from a poisoned arrow excruciatingly slowly if he says that it wasn’t poisoned and he was wrong, and he won’t say a word about it.

I wouldn’t say that Vincent is against planning, or that he completely ignores them, but I will say that he is reckless. He’s got no problem with pausing to construct a strategy so that they don’t all die, but he won’t agree to a plan that he will be forced to retreat in, and he’ll often break away from it without a second thought  to get the job done faster. This tied in to a much larger problem, which is his inability to properly executes orders. He has been the one to give him for as long as he can remember, and taking them is much more of a challenge than expected. That said, he will do his best to make sure it's not going to kill them all before he charges off.

The last thing to note is that Vincent is not religious. He doesn't buy into all the mumbo-jumbo talk of Goddesses, which many people find strange. Many find that strange because he was a sailor, who are notoriously superstitious, but he doesn't really care. Vincent does not deny that something is probably out there, because magic is ample enough proof of that, but he just doesn't have enough mental capacity left to care about an otherworldly being he'll never meet when he was his own concerns and problems. He'll not start a fight over religion, and he thinks people who do are stupid, though he gives them credit for standing for what they believe in.

[spoiler=Biography:] Vincent Cervantes was once a name that was feared across all of Mysia. He was born in the town of Cardas, in the Kingdom of Isauria, and like many who were not born as a merchant he took to the street to survive when no one would hire him for honest work. He didn’t make a good thief due to his size and lack of subtly, however, and would soon find himself in the company of a crew of pirates that had docked in town. It started when he was in one of the local taverns, spending what little coin he had on cheap booze, and some scruffy looking fellow shoved him because he was in the way. Vincent did not take kindly to this, fists flew, and his prowess at brawling caught the interest of a pirate that had been drinking there.

After he had sailed with the crew for several years, at the age of twenty-seven, Vincent was elected captain when his predecessor died from a harsh bout of alcohol poisoning. He had carved out a name for himself with his fighting skills when they had to board the ships they were raiding, which had already earned him the position of First Mate, so the natural choice was him. Under his leadership, the crew prospered like never before, gaining the power and infamy to openly taunt the law. His name became synonymous with daring and power, and it reached a level that the leader of the Kingdom of Isauria could not ignore when they commandeered the swiftest vessel, Queen’s Own, from the royal navy. Queen Talibah decided they needed to be made an example of.

Several years went by peacefully (well, as peaceful as they can for a pirate), and Captain Cervantes was lulled into a false sense of security. They would often go to the nearest port town after a successful raid and celebrate, staying to enjoy a tavern maid or two and drink until the tap was dry, and the leader of the crew was no different. Vincent is not even sure if he ever fathered any children with the women he slept with to this day, because he never really had the time to go check back with any of them. It was on one of these port trips the Royal Army was lying in wait to get the drop on them, and Vincent and Crew walked right into the ambush unarmed and ready to celebrate another good raid. It was a slaughter. He was the only survivor, because they brought him back alive, to be publically executed for an example to those who would challenge Her Majesty.

He managed to escape only due to the timely intervention of a group of raiders, who caught the soldiers who were in charge of taking him back unaware during a fierce sandstorm in the Murial Desert.  Vincent slipped away in the midst of battle, taking the cloak off one of the fallen soldiers bodies to shelter him and his canteen to stay hydrated. It was a seeming year before he made it back to civilization (more like a week), and he was severely dehydrated and near a date with death, but still alive. A local healer took him in, not recognizing him, but as soon as he realized who he was he cast Vincent back to the street with the threat of calling the local authority. A bounty had been posted on his head to any who would deliver him to the guard.

Vincent hasn’t accomplished much in the nearly fifteen years since he lost his crew, his ship, and his dignity. He goes from town-to-town, stopping in to check on a job and then setting up camp in the nearest tavern for a day or so, and then setting out once again. He has an alcohol problem that puts any normal man to shame, but he can’t seem to break out of his rut and channel what it is that made him such a force to be reckoned with in the first place: his defiant spirit.

Combat Information
Class: Barbarian
Stats: Spoiler this. This isn't going to be super precise. I just want to get a general idea of your character's strengths and weaknesses. Give me:

• HP - B
  • Str - B
  • Mag - E
  • Skl - C
  • Spd - C
  • Lck - D
  • Def - D
  • Res - E

[spoiler=Fighting Style:] Vincent is a juggernaut on the battlefield. He is like a rock in the middle of a stream, unyielding against the rushing current, and will barrel down and swiftly end those who try to shove him. This will make him easy-picking for archers and mages, but it will establish a boundary for his frailer companions to stand behind and be protected. He is not afraid to take a hit if it means he can return one, because he's sure that his will mean more in the long run.

Inventory: 

Finality--An ax bearing the semblance of a sea serpent coiled around the pommel and handle, leaving off just enough room for a leather bound area that serves as the proper place to grip it. It is obviously old and has seen use, but it still more than works.

XL Flask--A flask that is built to hold water for long desert trips. Vincent chooses to keep it stocked with his alcohol of the day at all times, and refills it a few times each day.

Other Information
--Has an iron stomach from all his years of drinking.

--Has a surprisingly good singing voice, but can never remember any songs to sing.

--His theme is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZb-DWNGtH8

Hey-o! The RP said it was still accepting, so I figured I'd take a crack at it.  I'm open to change the character - or flat rework him if I have to - because it might seem a bit "special snowflake". I mostly just wanted to try something a bit different, y'know?

I've read up on the RP and all the characters that are currently accepted, and I don't think he's too similar to anything you've currently got. Once again, if you think he is, just say the word and I'll change him.

Final note: I don't know too much about Fire Emblem and that probably shows. I wanted to tie him into the universe a little bit, but I wasn't sure how old the Queen was/if they would even have ships. I just assumed so, because pirates are a combat able enemy.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=]

Identity Information

Name: Vincent Cervantes

Birthplace: Cardas, Isauria

[spoiler=Appearance:] GangplankLoadScreen.png 

Height: 6'4" (193 CM)

Weight: 265 (120 KG)

In the RP he doesn't have the metal hand, or the gun on his shoulder. All credit for the image goes to League of Legends.

[spoiler=Personality:] If I had to describe Vincent in a single sentence, it would be that he is outspoken and ill-tempered. He’s got a crude and offensive nature, made worse by the overpowering smell of cheap rum and blood that is never far behind him. He has a surprisingly long fuse before he explodes, but it is easy to irritate him, leading to the most brutal verbal licking you’ll ever be on the receiving end of. The man has an aura about him that distinguishes him from the crowd, but not in the good way, if you know what I mean.

If you can stomach all of that, however, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you find. Vincent is weathered by his life choices, and more experienced than most ever have the privilege of claiming, something that he’ll tell you if he doesn’t dislike you. His advice is surprisingly good and can apply to anyone that is going to be traveling, revealing a side of him that could even be considered knowledgeable. Of course, he’ll add some snarky remark about how any traveler worth their salt would know that, but it’s a lot less brutal than his normal self. This side is much easier for people to see if he has been forced to lay off his drinking, something he doesn’t do willingly.

His biggest downfall is his inability to adapt. Vincent has seemingly been frozen in time since the day that his sailors were lost and his ship taken back, unable to accept that it will never be the same. When he’s especially drunk it will become obvious, because he’ll start telling stories about his many escapades, but the tales always lead back to the same thing: reality. Once he has finished his story he’ll be irritable and bitter, and want to be left alone to mourn it all over again. He would benefit a lot if he would just let sleeping dogs lie.

Vincent admires people who have a backbone. You’ll get no respect from him until you can prove that you can look him in the eye and hold your ground, which can be difficult against someone of his stature and attitude. He’ll put a lot more effort into giving you some slack if you can manage that, and if you have the nerve to pick a fight with him when he challenges you, he might even like you a little bit. This can be cast in a negative light easily at times due to the fact that embodying this trait makes him extremely stubborn, to the point of insisting he is right when the evidence is looking him in the eye. He’ll sit and die from a poisoned arrow excruciatingly slowly if he says that it wasn’t poisoned and he was wrong, and he won’t say a word about it.

I wouldn’t say that Vincent is against planning, or that he completely ignores them, but I will say that he is reckless. He’s got no problem with pausing to construct a strategy so that they don’t all die, but he won’t agree to a plan that he will be forced to retreat in, and he’ll often break away from it without a second thought  to get the job done faster. This tied in to a much larger problem, which is his inability to properly executes orders. He has been the one to give him for as long as he can remember, and taking them is much more of a challenge than expected. That said, he will do his best to make sure it's not going to kill them all before he charges off.

The last thing to note is that Vincent is not religious. He doesn't buy into all the mumbo-jumbo talk of Goddesses, which many people find strange. Many find that strange because he was a sailor, who are notoriously superstitious, but he doesn't really care. Vincent does not deny that something is probably out there, because magic is ample enough proof of that, but he just doesn't have enough mental capacity left to care about an otherworldly being he'll never meet when he was his own concerns and problems. He'll not start a fight over religion, and he thinks people who do are stupid, though he gives them credit for standing for what they believe in.

[spoiler=Biography:] Vincent Cervantes was once a name that was feared across all of Mysia. He was born in the town of Cardas, in the Kingdom of Isauria, and like many who were not born as a merchant he took to the street to survive when no one would hire him for honest work. He didn’t make a good thief due to his size and lack of subtly, however, and would soon find himself in the company of a crew of pirates that had docked in town. It started when he was in one of the local taverns, spending what little coin he had on cheap booze, and some scruffy looking fellow shoved him because he was in the way. Vincent did not take kindly to this, fists flew, and his prowess at brawling caught the interest of a pirate that had been drinking there.

After he had sailed with the crew for several years, at the age of twenty-seven, Vincent was elected captain when his predecessor died from a harsh bout of alcohol poisoning. He had carved out a name for himself with his fighting skills when they had to board the ships they were raiding, which had already earned him the position of First Mate, so the natural choice was him. Under his leadership, the crew prospered like never before, gaining the power and infamy to openly taunt the law. His name became synonymous with daring and power, and it reached a level that the leader of the Kingdom of Isauria could not ignore when they commandeered the swiftest vessel, Queen’s Own, from the royal navy. Queen Talibah decided they needed to be made an example of.

Several years went by peacefully (well, as peaceful as they can for a pirate), and Captain Cervantes was lulled into a false sense of security. They would often go to the nearest port town after a successful raid and celebrate, staying to enjoy a tavern maid or two and drink until the tap was dry, and the leader of the crew was no different. Vincent is not even sure if he ever fathered any children with the women he slept with to this day, because he never really had the time to go check back with any of them. It was on one of these port trips the Royal Army was lying in wait to get the drop on them, and Vincent and Crew walked right into the ambush unarmed and ready to celebrate another good raid. It was a slaughter. He was the only survivor, because they brought him back alive, to be publically executed for an example to those who would challenge Her Majesty.

He managed to escape only due to the timely intervention of a group of raiders, who caught the soldiers who were in charge of taking him back unaware during a fierce sandstorm in the Murial Desert.  Vincent slipped away in the midst of battle, taking the cloak off one of the fallen soldiers bodies to shelter him and his canteen to stay hydrated. It was a seeming year before he made it back to civilization (more like a week), and he was severely dehydrated and near a date with death, but still alive. A local healer took him in, not recognizing him, but as soon as he realized who he was he cast Vincent back to the street with the threat of calling the local authority. A bounty had been posted on his head to any who would deliver him to the guard.

Vincent hasn’t accomplished much in the nearly fifteen years since he lost his crew, his ship, and his dignity. He goes from town-to-town, stopping in to check on a job and then setting up camp in the nearest tavern for a day or so, and then setting out once again. He has an alcohol problem that puts any normal man to shame, but he can’t seem to break out of his rut and channel what it is that made him such a force to be reckoned with in the first place: his defiant spirit.

Combat Information

Class: I'd like an opinion here. It's either Barbarian or Fighter, but I'm not sure which would fit more.

Stats: Spoiler this. This isn't going to be super precise. I just want to get a general idea of your character's strengths and weaknesses. Give me:

• HP - B
  • Str - B
  • Mag - E
  • Skl - C
  • Spd - C
  • Lck - D
  • Def - C
  • Res - E

[spoiler=Fighting Style:] Vincent is a juggernaut on the battlefield. He is like a rock in the middle of a stream, unyielding against the rushing current, and will barrel down and swiftly end those who try to shove him. This will make him easy-picking for archers and mages, but it will establish a boundary for his frailer companions to stand behind and be protected. He is not afraid to take a hit if it means he can return one, because he's sure that his will mean more in the long run.

Inventory: 

Finality--An ax bearing the semblance of a sea serpent coiled around the pommel and handle, leaving off just enough room for a leather bound area that serves as the proper place to grip it. It is obviously old and has seen use, but it still more than works.

XL Flask--A flask that is built to hold water for long desert trips. Vincent chooses to keep it stocked with his alcohol of the day at all times, and refills it a few times each day.

Other Information

--Has an iron stomach from all his years of drinking.

--Has a surprisingly good singing voice, but can never remember any songs to sing.

--His theme is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZb-DWNGtH8

Hey-o! The RP said it was still accepting, so I figured I'd take a crack at it.  I'm open to change the character - or flat rework him if I have to - because it might seem a bit "special snowflake". I mostly just wanted to try something a bit different, y'know?

I've read up on the RP and all the characters that are currently accepted, and I don't think he's too similar to anything you've currently got. Once again, if you think he is, just say the word and I'll change him.

Final note: I don't know too much about Fire Emblem and that probably shows. I wanted to tie him into the universe a little bit, but I wasn't sure how old the Queen was/if they would even have ships. I just assumed so, because pirates are a combat able enemy.

Hmm, well so far looks good to me. I'd say he's a barbarian through and through.

His special axe is only in appearance so I suppose I could let it pass, but keep in mind a part of FE is that you gain stronger weapons as you go.

Gonna be....interesting to have a wanted man with the group. And we'd need to work out a way he'd join.

His stats...might be okay, gonna have to think about it. The main issue is his only true weakness is against magic.

And we'd need a reason he's not as powerful as he once was, as atm most characters are around level 5, though he might be more due to coming in later.

Will have to discuss with Sethera once they come back (They've become a bit of a workaholic these days XD ) but it's really good from what I can see, maybe a few problems we'll work out.

Not accepted yet but I have high hopes.

Okay, gonna take a shot at answering all your questions.

First off, yeah, the ax just is cool looking. It's actually a bit worse than a normal one, because Vincent wouldn't have kept it sharp or anything. As for the wanted man, it will probably come into play, but maybe not all that quickly. It's been fifteen years since that all happened, so a lot of people are likely to have forgotten he existed.

I can nerf his stats no problem. Think lowering his defense would help balance him out? That way he's vulnerable to both types of attack while still hitting like a freight train. (Changed defense to D).

The last thing I can see is why he's not as powerful as he used to be, and that's a pretty easy one. Vincent spends a good chunk of his time in bars, drinking slosh and eating grime, which isn't the most healthy lifestyle. It isn't a good way to keep in-shape and keep your skills on par, not like sailing and fighting every day was. He is still really muscular in the area of his arms, but he's got a bit of a beer gut going on now.

Did I miss anything/any of that not work?

My thought behind the fighting style was that Vincent would be a high-risk, high-reward type of fighter. He has a high HP stat, which will keep him in the fight after a hit or two, but he has a low defense so he will still take the full damage of each strike. That make sense?

His defense stat was originally at a C, but I thought it might be a bit too much, so I dropped it to a D. What he's good at, he's really good at, and what he's bad at he is flat out horrible at.

My thought behind the fighting style was that Vincent would be a high-risk, high-reward type of fighter. He has a high HP stat, which will keep him in the fight after a hit or two, but he has a low defense so he will still take the full damage of each strike. That make sense?

His defense stat was originally at a C, but I thought it might be a bit too much, so I dropped it to a D. What he's good at, he's really good at, and what he's bad at he is flat out horrible at.

Makes sense, so it would work like a lot of the barbarians and fighters from FE then. :)

I don't mind changing from a sword user to something else, be it a lance-using cavalier or even an archer if need be. And I've got a simple idea for the finding the NPC sub-plot.

Yeah swords are just a bit iffy atm. So whichever you want to be sounds fine. Oh okay then, cool. :)

Are archers known for having a high strength stat? Sorry that I have to ask, I've only played the original Fire Emblem, so my knowledge is pretty outdated.

From what I remember, yes. But not as powerful as I made Tari. In all honesty to make her realistic I'd swap Str & Skl around, since archers are known to have high Skill and Speed.

The strength stat does factor into damage calculation from archers though, so having B strength as an archer is far from pointless.

Yep yep, it's a bit weird but that's how it goes. Basically the girl would be able to shoot arrows pretty fast, and it'll hurt when they hit...but she won't hit super often. Which is amusing to say the least to imagine.

Does this group have a Skype chat? It would probably be easier for me to ask questions and stuff there if you do.

It does and, seeing as you're all but accepted at this point, I think it'd be fine to add you.

Hopefully Sethera doesn't mind XD

I'd need you Skype, PM if you don't wanna say.

Keep in mind I'll be afak in a bit while I make food.

New announcement.

Starting next host post, I will allow a one-week grace period where you may post. After one week, I will be posting another host post, and if you haven't posted by then, your character might get injured or taken out of the RP entirely after multiple absences.

I feel like I've been too soft, mainly because of my laissez-faire approach to leadership, but I think it's time to take the kid gloves off if I want this RP to survive.

So forgot to mention in OOC but Saiba dropped from the RP, which is why Anais had to be sent away.

Forgot you weren't in the Skype chat, GM, sorry.

Mentioned it cause the first part of your post. Which would've been kinda in bad taste had you known. Sorry for forgetting.

Also "nothing for ___ to do" is not an acceptable excuse, warning still stands. If you really can't think of something to do, ask for advice.

I didn't think the first part was "in poor taste" so much as "pointing out a plot hole that will never be mentioned again," but fair enough. I'll delete it, I guess. As for the rest, well, sorry, I guess. While I appreciate your efforts to keep the game going, it rather hurts when I come in to play a game and all I find is some angry hosts shouting me down about deadlines and "excuses." Not to mention it makes me very pessimistic about interacting with said hosts' characters, since I feel like the players behind those characters are actively hostile towards me. I'm sorry if you find my efforts insufficient, and you can remove me from your game if you don't think I'm good enough, but trying to come in and play a game when I feel like the hosts are glaring daggers at me through the screen is... difficult. ^^;;

I didn't think the first part was "in poor taste" so much as "pointing out a plot hole that will never be mentioned again," but fair enough. I'll delete it, I guess. As for the rest, well, sorry, I guess. While I appreciate your efforts to keep the game going, it rather hurts when I come in to play a game and all I find is some angry hosts shouting me down about deadlines and "excuses." Not to mention it makes me very pessimistic about interacting with said hosts' characters, since I feel like the players behind those characters are actively hostile towards me. I'm sorry if you find my efforts insufficient, and you can remove me from your game if you don't think I'm good enough, but trying to come in and play a game when I feel like the hosts are glaring daggers at me through the screen is... difficult. ^^;;

Well my point was it's a plot hole that had to exist because of something outside our power.

I'll take your same "game" analogy. How about this, when people are playing a co-operative game and one of the players isn't doing anything, and the game halts, how does that make it for the other players?

You think that's angry? No, not at all. That's just firm laying down a foundation. What's angry is what you're getting now. How dare you try to put the blame on others here. You're given plenty of time to do things, and plenty of times to mention if you're having trouble. We only ever hear from you, specifically, at the last minute when we specifically message you or when you're told that you need to do something.

If you feel any RPer has a problem with you, mention it. Ask them, don't just not interact with their character because you think they might. I didn't really have a problem with you before this, but now I do. The rules that have been made for this RP are perfectly reasonable and whenever anyone brings up anything slightly negative about what you wrote, you have this passive aggressive complaint.

Though I will say. I may have a problem with you, as an RPer, but Penelope doesn't have any problem with Feray. It's quite insulting you assume we'd have our characters lash out in some sort of petty attack.

It's not a matter of good enough. I don't judge based on writing talent.

Archived