[RP Discussion] Character Deaths

Alright then, here goes.

What is your opinion on the concept of character death? When do you think it would make an impact? How should it be done in an RP, and how would it affect the RP itself? Have you killed off any character you play before?

And other than that....what is your opinion if a character's death is tied down to the host's decision instead of yours?

Short prompt this time, so let's discuss.

As long as the character isn't gone for good, like 100% kablammo you're out, it should be fine. Also, it should always be the player's decision.

I've never done it, but at least I think that's how it should go.

Either transform the player into a ghost or some other entity they can still control, just something to do instead of having to watch everyone else continue without you.

Perfectly Ok with a character death no matter the circumstance. either host's decision, or the plot calls for it, or i want shock value or something. nothing is really lost with killing off a character, as long as it improves the overall story. plus it's not like i have any sort of attachment to the characters i write.

I've never done it, but when i make a character, i always think of a possible epic way of them to die if the possibility is there. For example i've already planned the way Charlotte could die in Aethertouched.

I feel like it's good if it's in some way epic and can impact the characters.

Never done it in RP, but have done it in writing and have had it happen to me in D&D. I suppose the reason I generally don't do that is because if I'm interacting with others, it can be a bit disruptive, and I'm usually too lazy to make another app unless I have to.

If it happens it happens. People can't always win and survive if there is to be any true tension. But I don't throw it about so easily, unless that's the point. A character dying shouldn't be for the sake of them dying, or for the sake of shock alone, it should have purpose. And it should effect things. Someone dying isn't just taking them out of the RP, it's something the other characters should have a reaction to.

And I don't believe a host should be allowed to kill off RPer's characters without explaining and giving the RPer a chance. For instance an enemy is going to kill them, if the RPer can figure out a way out of it that the character could do, then good. If not, explain what lead to this situation and don't be an ass. If they get upset, don't ignore them or get angry. Explain and rationalize.

But also make sure that its not random. Don't kill characters (besides your own) unless it's through the actions of the character or RPer. If the character does things that would lead to death, then sure. If the RPer is being generally a jerk and not following the rules, then sure. But be sure to inform them of what's going on beforehand and work with them.

Do NOT just throw a sudden death at a RPer's character.

Archived