HxH: 108 Stars of Destiny [IC]

Aix

Staring, perplexed, at the girl in front of him, Arash struggled to figure out if she were mocking him or if she was being serious. And, if she was serious, if she had some kind of mental disability. Usually he would just go with the idea they were mocking and react accordingly but the way the girl acted, and spoke, could she actually believe her response was the normal one to make? He couldn’t help but find himself intrigued by this seemingly average, but extraordinarily odd, girl. Either there was something she was hiding or she was honestly a nutcase. Arash had to learn more. “So, Xiu, you’re here for the Hunter Exam, right? Why?” That seemed a safe question, something to maybe weed out a bit more information.

"Mister big kitty! Hey, wait up!"

Unfortunately his investigation was interrupted by a bird landing nearby and talking to him.
“...I’m Mister big kitty, aren’t I?” He said, an incredulous tone in his voice. The creature that was before him was small, and feathered, and was looking up at him with such innocence that Arash was completely taken off guard. “Er, hi. What...do you want...kid?” Arash said slowly, awkwardly, almost as if he were attempting to diffuse a bomb. Please, PLEASE, let this kid not be some kind of cat-obsessed brat. He had had enough of children trying to pet him...wait. “Hold up why the hell’s a kid here? Who let you in?” Arash knew one thing, at least, the Hunter Exam was turning out to be much different than he had imagined.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm here to become a Hunter, of course~"

"Ah, so we might need to fight each other." 

That's a pity, most definitely. Right now, Sela was starting to be able to control herself by distancing herself a bit from the catgirl, but as she heard about the fact that Emui was also an exam taker, a slight look of disappointment could be seen on her otherwise flat face. Laying her hands, allergy aside, on such a cute creature felt unthinkable, but reality is cruel. Fellow cats hurting each others...though as Selardi continued to stare at Emui in silence, the catgirl asked her an offer she wouldn't refuse.

"Hey, how would mew like a backup shot at the exam?" 

"Yes." Selardi said it almost as soon as she's aware of what's Emui was going to say. She didn't really think she would need a teammate, but having a fellow cat as a companion could be nice. Maybe they could roll around in the sand or in the grasses, or play with yarns together, or maybe chasing people, or maybe hunting things, or maybe...

As she continued to stare at Emui while thinking of all the stereotypical cat things to do in her head, Selardi's pupils started to constrict, becoming slit-like. While her expression didn't show any of it, an aura of thirst perhaps could be apparent coming from her as she watched the catgirl's tail move around, as she watched the ears wag a bit.

You're mine.

"I am not this thing you call a 'pet'," 

"You're not, huh." It was not exactly surprising - Mia had heard about races of intelligent beast-like creatures with peculiar Nen signatures before, and if this fire beast was one of them, then he would of course be-

"I am here for the Hunter Exam I was told about. After I saw you also be given a number, I think you are here for the same."

Called it.

"Yeah, I'm here for the same purpose.

Say, do you have any particular reasoning to be here? You too, Lettess. I heard that what defines a Hunter is that the fact that they hunt for something, so what kind of things do either of you want to seek by getting here? Just curious, more or less. Maybe we can find some similarities from our motives and we can help each others in this exam when necessary."

If she could gather allies from the very start, it's going to really help her down the road. While she had none of the raw strength necessary for this exam, maybe if she could use her mouth for something useful for once, maybe she could push herself to the very end - being carried by others, like always.

"Oh...and...what happened to the table, dear fiery beast?"

WYqmEKA.png

“...I’m Mister big kitty, aren’t I?” 

Cammie simply nodded to Arash, his grin wide as his eyes seemed to shine up towards the feline. He still held the other cat in his arms, petting it gently as it purred. He could tell that Arash wasn't done talking, so he simply stood and waited for him to finish his thought.

“Er, hi. What...do you want...kid?”

He grins as he holds up the cat in his arms, which seemed to just stare blankly at Arash as he beamed. "I found this. Well, more like I took it. I think it was meant for you, mister big kitty."

He said that with such a simplicity, as if that alone made all the sense in the world. Nothing about where he found the cat, how he made the connection that it belonged to Arash, or why he felt he need to take the cat in the first place.

“Hold up why the hell’s a kid here? Who let you in?”

He beamed again as he heard that, already he was causing waves! He puffed out his chest proudly, his voice getting a lower pitch as he mimicked the guards outside, "We can't turn someone away if they have proper ID..."

He started to laugh as his wings flapped lightly, shaking his head softly, "Those guards were really easy to get by! I just told the front desk that I was here to perform music for the VIP event! Why would they question me? I am a star, after all! My name is Cammie, mister big kitty, and I'm here to take the Exam!"

FZPMbmt.png

"I’ll get to see all sorts of places all around the world I’ve never been to! I’m not even an adult yet, just imagine how many awesome adventures I’ll get to have through my life if I make it now!

Not that different from you, Amber. Isn't that what you wanted?

Ivory smiled to Aduain as she listened to him, a small laugh escaping her as she nods, "I see. I'm in it for similar reasons. We've already become an accomplished dancer, but... I want to do something else now. I want to be able to see more than the stages, I want to help people too."

She laughs for a small moment as she rubs her neck, before blinking as he removed the trident from his back. She looked over the weapon, her hand moving towards it and running along the surface as she smiles, "I've seen something like this before. While I was out exploring one of your cities, there was a building that looked something like a small armory. It might have been a shop, or maybe it was for an army, I don't know... But I saw the base of a weapon that looked much like this! I still have the piece at home, I kept it in case I could ever find out what it was when complete. I thought maybe one day I could try to repair it."

She smiles as she watches the smaller fishy get excited, but...

Like check this out! I found this in one of the old cities of my people. I’ve barely been anywhere and what I’ve seen already is amazing. And I’ve only been free for three years!” 

Her face dropped for a moment as she heard that last part, her focus splitting for a moment as she shook her head.

Did he just say he was only free for three years?

Yeah... He mentioned his parents were in some kind of bad situation too.

She decided that, perhaps, it wasn't the best to pursue that particular train of thought at the moment and regained her composure, nodding to him as she grins, "I understand! I... Found these gems on my outfit in a ruined city underwater. I can't say for certain if it was one of your cities, it was a much, much smaller one than the others I had seen."

She placed her hands on the gems and focused, a red glow emitting from them as her pair of gauntlets began to form over her hands. She punched her fists together as she grinned down to him, "I don't know what all these gems can do, but they've given me a very, very useful weapon!" As if to illustrate her point, she brought her fist down on a small end table, shattering it as she grins wider, "...That's a pretty accurate example of how I got in here, too."

Lettess' eyes opened as he couldn't believe  what he just heard. IT CAN TALK! He exclaimed. Lettess was definitely not one to dabble in the arts of subtlety, but not everyone is perfect.  

"I am here for the Hunter Exam I was told about. After I saw you also be given a number, I think you are here for the same."

Wow they even let magic fire dog things apply for the Hunter's Exam too? How do sign waivers and stuff though...or get on planes for that matter? Are tickets cheaper for him because they would probably throw him in with the cargo...Is this even a him? Lettess just stared intently at the creature as the questions just kept buzzing around in his head non-stop. Fortunately the lady Mia was able to ground his thoughts as she proceeded to as a question that required his attention. 

...so what kind of things do either of you want to seek by getting here? Just curious, more or less. Maybe we can find some similarities from our motives and we can help each others in this exam when necessary."

I'm working to become a Gourmet Hunter! Lettess shouted proudly. That means I get to travel around the world looking for exotic animals and plants so that I can cook eat. With a Hunter License I get to travel to otherwise zones deemed to dangerous to go in. Also, I guess its worth mentioning that my full name is Lettess B. Sprout of the Sprout line of chefs. So my family has been using our vast wealth to actually hire hunters to go hunt for meat and stuff for us. So Mom and Dad decided that it would be more cost efficient if one of their 7 children just went and became a Hunter. Lettess put his finger on his chin as he was wondering if he left out anything. Yeah I think that's everything. So who's up next? Lettess asked with a smile.

From his position at the counter, Alex surveyed the going-ons of the massive VIP area. Almost four hundred people were in the room yet there was still plenty of room to move around. Despite being in a party-like setting as this, most people did not bother socializing too much; in fact the majority looked with a certain disdain at those who were happily talking away. He looked with curiosity at the beastfolk, a race he had only seen a few times at a distance, but he did not bother approaching. He had something else on his mind, or rather someone. One of the 398 people in this room was Jem Doppler.

For the 66th time after Alex had entered, the door opened. He had sat there for more than three hours, watching all sorts of weird new examinees enter every few minutes, but this one made him pause for a moment. There, receiving badge #399, was Ahmed bin al-Waleed, the multibillionaire oil prince he had encountered on his way in. There was no mistaking that curly little mustache and goatee on that wide and smug face. However, before Alex could put the man under greater scrutiny, there was an astounding loud sound that made him turn.

It was a fierce-looking Jiptian man with an eyepatch standing at the back. It seemed he had merely clapped his hands, but the sound resounded through the entire hall like thunder. The music stopped a moment later, and the room was silent. There was a stillness to the air, making it harder to breath.

"Man, the quality of the people taking the Exam has really dropped, hasn't it? I thought the Navigators were supposed to filter out the trash." He sneered as he walked past the crowds of examinees. Tossing a look at a red-feathered bird boy, he creased his eyebrows contemptuously. "We even have little children here. This isn't your preschool, you know."

"I suppose even you can provide me with a bit of entertainment," he said. "If you haven't realized, I am the Proctor of the First Phase of the Hunter Exam. Amir Attia, Jackpot Hunter. Now anyone knows a key aspect to earning money is a discerning eye for partners and business relationships. I hope you guys have been networking in the brief hours you've been here, because I want all of you to form teams of four and report to my lackey here so he can record your numbers."

The thin man who had handed out the badges bowed upon being referenced.

x393wz.jpg

4Pq1E1b.jpg

x393wz.jpg

Xiu was already beginning the next recitation of human history even as she turned from Arash. But it would seem the cat who Xiu had decided certainly wasn't a book still wanted something more out of her. A question of what her purpose was at the Hunter Exam. Turning back to face Arash a serious look appeared in her eyes for once. That's right. She was at the Hunter Exam. This much was real and important to focus on.

"I'd advise against digging into my motivations too deeply." She started, her tone nothing like before. Soon the happy, relaxed and aloof look returned to her face. "But if you want to know a little bit about it there's a lot of places of research and learning only Hunters have access to and I need their resources for what I'm researching. I could befriend a Hunter that much is true but becoming one myself seemed much more reliable." she concluded mostly back to her usual self. Arash began interacting with the strange bird that had come their way but Xiu's focus was elsewhere. There was a presence moving towards the lounge but not one she recognized. It felt like nen and fairly powerful at that.

It wasn't long before a man with an eye patch entered the room and really began pumping it full of his aura not to mention a rather loud clap of his hands. This presence brought Xiu's focus back to what was actually going on around her as opposed to the maze that her mind sometimes was. Teams of four were to be made. Xiu hadn't finished taking inventory of all the would be participants and was mildly frustrated. Acting without complete information was dangerous. She'd only really spoken with Arash. Ultimately, Xiu concluded it didn't matter who her teammates were so long as she made it through the exam so Arash seemed like as good a bet as any. But she wasn't going to be direct about it. There would always be stragglers who would prove simple enough to use. Arash's interest in her simply made him stand out.

"We'd best figure out who we'll be working with quickly if we intend to participate." she said to both the cat and bird before her.

x393wz.jpg

ULXKCSD.png

x393wz.jpg

Aduain was excited to hear Ivory seemed a lot like him. She wanted to explore the world too and she'd seen a fair bit of the world that is the ocean's floor. He began strapping the trident back to his bag as Amber explained the gems she had found in some ruins but what came next was much more surprising. Strange metal seemed to be appearing around her hands and to show what they could do she shattered a nearby table. Aduain's eyes widened and lit up with excitement as she did so. It was all he could do to stop himself from jumping up onto one of them to get a better look and feel of what they were. Still he commenced bouncing around Ivory looking at the gauntlets from just about any angle he could manage.

"That's amazing!! I gotta find me some of these! You gotta tell me whe-" he began. He would have probably said a million more things in rapid succession had he not been interrupted by a rather loud sound that echo'd through the entire lounge. It sounded like someone clapping but no one clapped that loud. Aduain saw a man with something over one eye walk into the room and explain how the Hunter Exam would begin. As the man entered the three slits on each side of his torso that were his gills twitched as if reacting to something in the room but what it was Aduain couldn't be sure. Running a hand softly over them to see what was wrong he found nothing particularly out of order and he was still breathing regularly. Focusing back on the man just in time he heard mention they would have to form teams of four to proceed. It was just now Aduain realized he'd only really spoken with Ivory. He might have panicked a little bit but he was really glad to have spent the time with her and hoped he'd found at least one teammate in her.

"Ya hear that Ivory? Teams of four!" he started as he grabbed hold of one of the gauntlets she had summoned and tugged on it playfully.  "We could work together! We'd have to find two other people pretty fast but that probably won't be too hard. I really liked talking with you and I'd love to hear more about the places you've been!" he said with a bit more confidence back to him now. There wasn't any more time to be awkward and shy, the exam was starting soon and he didn't want the one person he'd really talked to or began to befriend at all to leave.

x393wz.jpg

"I'd advise against digging into my motivations too deeply. But if you want to know a little bit about it there's a lot of places of research and learning only Hunters have access to and I need their resources for what I'm researching. I could befriend a Hunter that much is true but becoming one myself seemed much more reliable."

Arash raised an eyebrow at the woman’s initial reaction. That was interesting, he couldn’t help but wonder what caused that change. He’d make sure to keep an eye on this one and, converse to her wishes, find a way to dig a little deeper. Her motivation seemed to be fine enough, selfish like most but that wasn’t any of his business. She still intrigued Arash, even more now.

He had to focus on the kid after that, however. Since the birdboy was trying to give him a cat. Arash was always a little uncomfortable around actual cats, if that’s what this was. They seemed to like him too much, and it bothered him. Nonetheless he found he couldn’t resist that innocent face and reluctantly accepted the cat. As soon as he did, the thing gave a small “mew” and then curled up against his chest. Arash’s eyebrows twitched. “Damn furball...” he muttered.

And then Arash felt...something, something stifling. He let out an automatic hiss and bared his fangs as he turned to face the newcomer. Someone saying they were the Proctor. Some high and mighty jabroni who decided it would be fun to single out the kid, well funk him too! Arash let the cat drop, which immediately moved behind the Nekomimi.
“Ya know,” Arash said, with his most contemptuous voice he could muster. “you’d think someone as supposedly important as you wouldn’t have managed to lose an eye. Wonder how long it’ll be before someone scratches out the other one.”

"We'd best figure out who we'll be working with quickly if we intend to participate."

“Yeah...” Arash put a hand on Cammie’s shoulder and proclaimed loudly, keeping eye contact with the Proctor. “You’re with me kid, we’ll tear through this exam like a hot knife through an eyeball.”
He then tilted his head back towards Xiu. “You want in? I’m sure we’ll find another easily. I got my eye on a few candidates already.” Arash was hoping to get one of the larger guys on the team. He had to be careful not to pick someone not all muscle and no skill, but he knew it’d be helpful to have someone physically strong in whatever was to come. Like that weirdo in the corner, or the one with the axe. Or the girl who seemed to be from the desert. But he’d have to be open to options, who knew for sure what skills would come in handy.

Tinman’s new watering hole was less fun than first impressions had made it seem, dazzling lighting and the many amenities of wealth are kind of gimmicky, especially when the whole bar doesn’t have a half-decent drink to it’s name. Time passed relatively quickly and quietly as he maintained a light buzz in a mess of people taking little social interaction. Getting to know others seemed like bad idea the same way, naming your livestock is a bad idea. Don’t get attached to food.

That isn’t to say he didn’t take interest though, he scanned the room constantly during his stay noting particularly troubled cases. A good number of the Hunters were young, like… stupidly young. Tinman was surprised half of them left their mothers bosom long enough to actually show up. There was the standard crowd of baddies, as in so bad at their job they developed a pride for it. You know the type, brawny, big, 20’s, 30’s, with something to compensate for. How did they breed so much to be everywhere?

There were a few notable exceptions, an older gentleman, dark-skinned holstering a monolith of an axe, he possessed it about as well as at that cocky ass grin taped on his face. Clearly someone who won’t be having trouble, his cockiness isn’t AS much of a front as most here. There would be little to gain in interacting with someone like him, he’d be at odds most likely if things progressed. His next sight was was a blob of pink-white hair, he didn’t take too much notice of the young human girl it belonged to, it was just her hair lit up like a disco ball in the aesthetically lit VIP room. Normally her age and gender might have made her a noteworthy person of interest for Tinman but the buffet was too prime to waste it someone who’d be fine, she looked capable enough, she walked softly and equipped with a big stick.Great, now all the disco ball heads were popping up in Tinman’s peripheral vision. A young pretentious-looking lady killer with a head so white he must use fabric stain removal to keep it clean, a red-headed shark from what Tinman can assume must taste good with ginger itself, a… red hors- okay, pets aren’t allowed, right? Who did this party trick! Kick it out before it shits on the carpet!

By the time Tinman had finished his soliloquy, he was graced with a presence of a suit-wearing man with an ey-, “It’s the corporate pirate,” he said softly to himself with a smile trying not to be too overheard.  

"If you haven't realized, I am the Proctor of the First Phase of the Hunter Exam. Amir Attia, Jackpot Hunter. Now anyone knows a key aspect to earning money is a discerning eye for partners and business relationships. I hope you guys have been networking in the brief hours you've been here, because I want all of you to form teams of four and report to my lackey here so he can record your numbers."

Oh dear, half of Tinman’s job is done for him. The man commanded a great deal of attention from the crowd for being a pirate and all, he must have been a captain. Although this created a dilemma for Tinman and he knew that. He often enjoyed the luxury of knowing the sides, the situation, the task, the results, and knowing how to change the direction and flow of morale. He wasn’t in charge, he could do no such thing. How was he supposed to play, he disliked being a player, there wasn’t a whole lot they could actually test him for, right? Tinman concluded he had to be flexible. It would be best to pick some weak but not entirely hopeless group, grasp the situation better, then change based on the needs later. He already heated the plan.

A quick scan of the room later, which was harder with everyone bustling about, his eyes narrowed on a young bird humanoid thing, what a hopeless case. He only noticed her-… him? His knowledge of ornithology was limited. He only noticed it, because it was a sore thumb. The bird person had gathered around a group of 2 other allies, a cat-girl (?), not Tinman’s fetish, and a conservatively dressed girl with hair like a lime. There is a group that won’t make it 20 minutes, Tinman concluded. It’s decided.

Tinman strolled as cleanly as he could before arriving to the trio, he was afraid to make so bad an impression that his help would be unwanted but always wanted to avoid making BFF bracelets before the actual exam started. “You all look happy, something good happen?,” he said casually butting himself into what conversation they were having, it was probably sort of stupid anyways. “You want know a secret?” he asked rhetorically before continuing, “I have connections on the inside of the exam team, and have been informed as to some secrets and tips. So I thought to myself, ‘Hey, Tinman’. That’s my name by the way, ‘Why don’t you do the right thing, and help out some kids through this.’ Look at me, I’m an older guy,” he said knowing he only looks in his 30’s, “I won’t last the whole exam probably, but I’m good at what I do, and I can help some people who will. AKA, you three. What do you say?”

Warden was struggling to maintain control of himself.  Within the first minutes that he had entered into V.I.P., his eyes fell upon the only weakness he had (next to women of course):  little furry animals.  Warden, as a man of nature, was drawn to these creatures.  Their small size, tiny appendages, and likely squeaky demeanor made him squeal internally with glee.

There were cats, birds, dogs, and so much more.  Oh!  How he so wanted to assaul--er, shower them with affection.  For you see, Warden never had a pet of his own.  A cat, a dog, a bird, a fish.  A squirrel, a bear cub, a billy coat.  A dragon youngling, a demon spawn.  Anything would suffice.  But right now, his eyes were focused on the obnoxiously cute cats before him.  Gripping Harriet tightly, Warden made an intense effort not to leap across the room, and tack--er, hug the ones who had captured his heart.

Fortunately, the atmosphere was changed drastically, and suddenly.  A loud, bratty young man crossed the threshold of the room, announcing his presence with a fluid pouring of aura into the room.  Being the big man that he was, Warden was no slouch, and wouldn't easily fold to the pressure being exerted on him.  Even still, it was quite impressive.  He wouldn't dare challenge this kid to a fight.  Hell, he wasn't sure of his own capabilities, let alone the extent of Mr. Amir Attia, as he had claimed himself to be.

"If you haven't realized, I am the Proctor of the First Phase of the Hunter Exam. Amir Attia, Jackpot Hunter. Now anyone knows a key aspect to earning money is a discerning eye for partners and business relationships. I hope you guys have been networking in the brief hours you've been here, because I want all of you to form teams of four and report to my lackey here so he can record your numbers."

So that's who he was.  The first proctor.  Were they all this frighteningly strong?  If the Hunter Exam was anything like he imagined, Warden had to look forward to some very dangerous, very stressful situations.  All of which would likely become more exceedingly important to him, to accomplishing his goals.  He sighed, realizing Mr. Attia's words accurately described his failure.  Warden had been mostly silent in his brief time in the V.I.P. Room.

It was unfortunate that he did not recognize any of the other contestants right away.  He would have surely addressed them, and struck up a conversation.  However, the best way to get to know someone--when you're new like Warden--would be to talk to them.  But where to begin?

Surveying the room once more, Warden saw that he was getting eyes from a mess of pink hair and cat ears.  Trying desperately not to grin with joy, Warden took note that the cat-child noticed his presence.  Who else could he lock eyes with, and potentially establish a mutual relationship with?

There were many that caught his eye.  But the most out of place and slightly strange youngster, was a child who's face was wrapped,standing about two feet shorter than Warden.  She was with one other, still near the entrance of the room.  That settled it then.  He would make his move.  But he couldn't be overly blunt.  Young lady or not, this was still the Hunter Exam.  If he took this girl's presence too lightly, she would destroy him.  If he came on too strong, seemingly desperate, she would dismiss him.  A difficult place to begin.  A challenge.  A worthy opponent!

And so Warden approached the small, pale-green girl a polite, "Excuse me," escaping his lips as he addressed Ninsar.  "Pardon me if I seem rude.  As you may have heard, the Exam's Proctor has asked us to form groups.  I couldn't help but notice that you had not yet formed a complete group.  Would it be too forward of me to ask you to accompany me during the exam?" he said extending a firm hand.

"Aah, it's nice to see a would-be gourmet hunter like you here, Lettess."

Hearing that the boy wished to be a gourmet hunter, Miaris' interest was sparked, and she wished to hear more about it. It should be an interesting prospect - travelling the world in search of the best ingredients and recipes to create heavenly dishes, sounds like a job out of a dream. However, her intrigue was somewhat dampened as Lettess revealed that he came from the famous Sprout family. Envy soon creeped all over her as she listened on the main reason he was in this exam. Having that much enthusiasm in following the family's path, being able to follow the proud lineage proudly like that, and having fun while in it...Mia's eye turned proverbially green when she heard all of that. But before she could be even more jealous of Lettess, someone, probably from the association, passed near her, the boy, and the fire beast.

"Man, the quality of the people taking the Exam has really dropped, hasn't it? I thought the Navigators were supposed to filter out the trash."

Rather than being angry, Miaris only sighed as she heard that. He's not wrong, after all. There were trashes like herself that managed to snuck in this elite exam. Though, if there's a lot of others that could be categorized as trash too...maybe all that it would take for her was to put a lot more effort than her competitions to be the top of the garbage bin. That might be enough, hopefully.

"Now anyone knows a key aspect to earning money is a discerning eye for partners and business relationships. I hope you guys have been networking in the brief hours you've been here, because I want all of you to form teams of four and report to my lackey here so he can record your numbers."

"Well...this eases things up. But I guess, since I assume we'll be in a group together now, us three I mean, let's finish this introduction first. I'm Miaris Caelis Cannes, and I'm here to be a Treasure Hunter if I can pass this exam.

Pleased to be you two's acquaintance, yeah."

"So there's a lot of trash around. They should hire a better janitor." Sela took the examinee's statement literally, and missed its point, though her gaze was still locked at Emui even if the examinee announced that they would require a team of four now to proceed.

"Emui, go find two others for our team. I'll follow your lead."

Lettess was eagerly awaiting the reply of his new discussion buddies, but the air got thick. He felt this before. He felt this awkward feeling of suffocation and fear. It was similar to when his father gets slightly annoyed and "lets loose" some aggression. He turned around and noticed the man who demanded everyone's attention. 

Lettess looked at his two new hopefully friends and put on a big smile. Awesome!

"Well...this eases things up. But I guess, since I assume we'll be in a group together now, us three I mean, let's finish this introduction first. I'm Miaris Caelis Cannes, and I'm here to be a Treasure Hunter if I can pass this exam.

Lettess smiled instantly as he just made a new friend, but upon further reflection he tilted his head. Why do you say "if"? Lettess is genuinely unfamiliar with the concept of self-doubt. At least when it came to the unknown. To hear a peer who seemed to be near him age talk this way was slightly disheartening. I mean you come from money like I do, I can see that in how good your skin is. So what do you have to be afraid of? Of course you're going to pass this exam. We all are and hopefully we won't have to hurt each other to do it. Lettess put his fist out for a fist bump. Besides the proctor said a lot of trash made it into the exam which means we're already ahead of the game. Lettess did not even contemplate that the proctor was actually talking about him...even though it is likely that the pre-school statement was directed at him.

WYqmEKA.png

Cammie seemed to beam with pride once Arash took the kitty from him, the animal happily curling up in his arms. It began to purr and mewl against him, and Cammie's wings extended out as he watched. His attention was drawn away from the cats when he heard a jab. It wasn't something he wasn't expecting...

"We even have little children here. This isn't your preschool, you know."

But it still stung. Cammie narrowed his eyes as he looked at the Proctor of the exam, a sense of pressure building in his chest. This wasn't stage fright, a feeling that he was already quite used to... The air felt stagnant, and a small sense of dread began to overwhelm Cammie as he tried to take a deep breath. 

"Now anyone knows a key aspect to earning money is a discerning eye for partners and business relationships. I hope you guys have been networking in the brief hours you've been here..."

Ha! I've already gotten started on that, so nyeh! I'm good enough to be here...

Once the rather rude proctor had finally stopped talking, Cammie's attention immediately shot back to Arash and the cat that he had been holding... Except it seemed to be on the ground now. Oh well, it was mister big kitty's cat, not his! He blinked for a moment as Arash put a hand on his shoulder, nodding once the bigger male spoke. "Trust me, mister big kitty. That man has no idea what he's talking about, I'm far, far stronger than I look..."

He turned to look at Xiu, not having said a word towards her up to this point. He rubbed his neck gently before sheepishly looking down, "Er, I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation with mister big kitty, ma'am. L-Like he said, you can join us! If you're worried that I can't fight or something, well... That's not true, I can help, I promise."

He grinned as his wings folded against his back again, waiting for her response before...

“You all look happy, something good happen?, I have connections on the inside of the exam team, and have been informed as to some secrets and tips. So I thought to myself, ‘Hey, Tinman’. That’s my name by the way, ‘Why don’t you do the right thing, and help out some kids through this.’ Look at me, I’m an older guy,I won’t last the whole exam probably, but I’m good at what I do, and I can some people who will. AKA, you three. What do you say?”

Cammie's mind seemed to race as he looked up at the strange man who had approached them. His wings fluttered for a moment as he contemplated reaching for the cello on his back, something about this... 'Tinman' seemed to cause him a great deal of distress. He squirmed a bit, his brighter demeanor starting to get a bit more subdued as he glanced towards Arash and Xiu, clearly not sure how to handle this particular person.

His wings fluttered softly as he finally shook off the initial unpleasant feelings though, and took a closer look at Tinman. He couldn't seem to pinpoint a reason why the man made him feel uncomfortable, but something about him seemed to unsettle him... That isn't really fair, he hasn't done anything to me... I should give him a chance...

FZPMbmt.png

Ivory laughed softly as Aduain bounced around her, her tail swishing around behind her for a moment as she hums softly. She tried to get a good look at the bouncing Aquarian, but his constant movement was making it hard. When he began to talk again, she nodded softly before he was cut off, a small chill coming over her body as she turned around, taking a look around for the voice that had started to speak.

Spinal, that's the exam proctor... Apparently there's a kid here?

I'm more concerned that we're supposed to have been networking in here. Aduain is the only one we've talked to, he said that we need to form a team of four.

Oh, that's easy. We just need to find two other lonely looking people.

Ivory blinked for a moment, coming back to her senses as she felt Aduain tugging at her gauntlet. She grins as she hefts up her hand, pulling him up along with it as she nods, "I would love to work with you, dear. We both have some... Similar goals, we can see about traveling together after the exam as well. Maybe we'll be able to set out and I can show you some of the underwater ruins I've visited!"

Ivory took a look around the room for a moment, her gaze scanning along the crowded room as she set Aduain down on the ground again. She frowned a bit as she seemed to have trouble finding a suitable pair, until... "You're right, we need two more people... Aduain, over there. I see two girls, looks like... Cat? Er... I don't think they would eat us, I've seen cat people who are fairly good about not doing that."

She taps her chin for a moment, looking down at Aduain before patting his head and laughing a bit. Amber seemed to take over here, reaching out to push people out of her way... Along with clearing a path so that her smaller partner could easily walk his way through the crowd now. "We can take 'em if they do try to eat us, I say we give them a shot!"

"Hey, you two! Catgirl and her friend, I want to talk to you for a moment!"

Amber that was an incredibly inappropriate way to address someone.

"My friend here," She motioned to down the smaller fishy as she grins, "And I need a couple of partners for this test. We noticed you seemed to be looking around too. My name is A-... Ivory, and it's great to meet you both!"

Smooth Amber, forgot our name for a second there.

Shaddup, I'm excited.

That was the most meaningless hot air Alexandre had seen anyone blow for a while. A Jackpot Hunter? Wasn't he just some rake who shamelessly chased after money? Some people simply became too full of themselves when they earn a little cash. Like that oil prince.

Alexandre narrowed his eyes at the diminutive man before making up his mind. He pushed his way past several worthless muscle heads to make it before his target. Gritting his teeth slightly, he gave a small slalom to the man and a smile. "I would like to offer my services. My name is Alexandre du Lac. Someone with... class much better suits an exalted one as yourself, wouldn't you agree? In addition to fighting and killing, I have a great deal of other expertise, including the ability to select truly worthy companions for our team."

Alexandre stood there staring at the man's indiscernible expression. Just as someone was about to push him out of the way, the oil magnate spoke. "Name your price."

There was a moment of stunned silence from the crowd gathered around the man. Alexandre sweated slightly as he thought about it. It couldn't be too high, but he couldn't sell himself short lest he seem less professional. The wine he drank earlier triggered his mind. "Fifty million Jenny and I shall guarantee you will pass this round."

Ahmed pondered for a second, before looking Alexandre in the eyes. "For the price of one bottle of wine, huh?"

For a split second, Alexandre stiffened up. Goosebumps prickled on his skin as he knew the oil prince had noticed his reaction. "No more and no less."

"Fair. However, I shall select my own teammates," said the oil prince. He glanced at the others gathered around him. "Begone, you beggars."

iU8EggM.png

Alexandre followed his new "master" like a faithful hound, all the while staring at the man's back thinking of ways to kill him. However, the oil prince didn't notice and scanned the room like he was surveying a buffet table. His eyes rested on a pink-haired girl with a sword on her back for a few moments before muttering to himself. "Not yet..."

Finally, the magnate started towards to a very tall Jiptian woman in desert garb. "Go invite that woman," he said, stopping a few feet away.

Without asking questions, Alexandre gave a polite bow before walking over. "Excuse me, madam. I would like to invite you to my team."

VIwyCMI.jpg

"Yes."

"Good to hear," the nekomimi said.  "Just stick with me and I'll get your back."  All lies of course.  She did have a "second chance" in her pocket (and didn't feel sorry at all for examinee #123), but that was hers, just in case somebody snatched away her actual chance.  This was simply how Emui Valentine operated.  The next thing she knew, some jackass with an eyepatch was talking like he was a big deal.  Business?  Networking?  Please!  Who needed a network when you could just leech from others?  In that sense, everyone was already her network.

"Emui, go find two others for our team. I'll follow your lead."

What was more important was that a team was still required.  Glancing around the room, Emui saw a duo of people.  A little fish boy, and a bigger shark girl.  The humor of a nekomimi teaming up with a couple of fish people caught her fancy.  Making her way up to them, Emui looked at the boy of the two.  Then the girl.  Then back to the boy.  "Well well, the two of mew are a long way out of the water.  My furrend and I saw that there was only two of you, and I thought it would be a nice idea to team up, the four of us."  Holding out a hand to each of them, the nekomimi asked "How about it?"

bz4EDFZ.jpg

The proctor of the first phase of the Hunter Exam.  A young man with an eyepatch who sounded far too full of himself.  Razia had fought men with swords bigger than this guy with nothing but her bare hands.  Hopefully he didn't think he was a big deal just because he had an eye missing and some magical powers.  However, Razia's attention was taken after the proctor had finished his speech by a boy, speaking to her.

"Excuse me, madam. I would like to invite you to my team."

He seemed to have one other person on his team too.  He didn't have the spine to walk up to her, but she could see the other boy a few feet away, looking intently at her.  "Your companion over there won't get very far in this exam if he can't even walk up to me."  Still, an ally was an ally.  Two for the price of one, seemed like a nice bargain.  No reason to turn him down.  "However, I'll accept your offer."  Extending a hand outward to the one who had invited her, she said "My name is Razia, from the Screaming Desert.  And yourself?"  All this team of three needed now was a fourth member.  No doubt there was such a person in this room...well, obviously.  Hopefully they wouldn't be as spineless as the guy who couldn't even approach Razia.

AN9JTWn.png

The air of the room grew heavy.  A boy with an eyepatch was speaking.  He didn't seem like a pleasant person at all.  Already Ninsar wasn't too fond of that guy.  With any luck, she wouldn't have to deal with him too much in the future.  He did, however, mention having to team up into groups of four.  Well, good thing she already had a new friend to partner up with.  "The two of us shalt partner up," Ninsar said to the girl sitting next to her.  That left only two more to go.

Well, one more.

The next thing she knew, a tall man had come up, asking to have the pair accompany him in the exam.  This team seemed to be making itself!  At this rate, there would be four people before Ninsar even had to worry about it.  Life in this era wasn't so bad after all.  "Aye, we'll be a group.  That doth make for three of us.  Only one remains..."  But who?

Nanika

Nanika raised her eyebrow. Ninsar had a peculiar accent and a formal style of speaking that reminded Nanika of old royal tongue. It seemed as if the younger girl was quite innocent, almost to the point of naïveté. Nanika sighed internally, ruffling the other girl's hair softly. If this girl was dead, she certainly didn't smell like it or feel like it.

"You can call me Nanika. I'm from…" Nanika paused for a moment as she considered what sort of response to give. "... I'm from hereabouts in this city." Just as Nanika was about to ask the same in kind, everyone was interrupted by a sonorous clap. Turning to face the source, she took in the man's face. He was relatively tall, and his one revealed eye was cold and hard as it surveyed the audience. His rude remarks irritated Nanika a great deal, and her fingers twitched slightly as she imagined wrapping them around his throat. Taking a deep breath to settle her nerves, she grimaced when he revealed he was the Proctor - although it wasn't surprising given his entrance.

At the mention to make teams of four, a burly man with an axe wandered over to Ninsar, requesting to team up with her. Nanika stared him down as she looked over his body to determine how skilled he might be. It seemed as if he was quite strong however, and Nanika waved. "We'd be glad to have you on our team. Now if you will excuse me, I'll go look for the fourth and talk to the Proctor." Walking off, she scanned the surroundings. As expected, groups had already begun to form even before the Proctor had arrived, and most of those people teamed up. There was some bickering obviously, for cliques that had more than four people. Nanika was about to step forwards when she could hear someone gasping for breath and apparently running up to her from behind. Sliding forward quickly as she turned around to make space between herself and the unknown, she glanced at the new arrival.

Looking up at her with a hopeful expression in his eyes was a young, blond-haired, blue-eyed guy who couldn't have been older than 23 or so.. As Nanika looked over his appearance, she thought to herself, Geez, this guy looks so… bland. Absolutely mundane. Catching his breath, the man stood up and dusted himself off. Offering a hand and a smile, he spoke. "Hey, uh, do you think I could like, um, team up with you? I-I mean you probably already have a team and don't want someone like me anyways, b-but if it's okay and your team isn't full yet?" Nanika paused. She had been considering turning him down, but his expression seemed so genuine and fragile that he might break otherwise. Unable to turn him down, she sighed internally once again. Shaking his hand, her eyes widened slightly as she realized he had a quite strong and worn grip. Nanika could tell this was the hand of one who could hold his own in a fight, at the least. Maybe I found someone who isn't completely useless.

About to point him over to where Ninsar and the other man was, Nanika realized neither had introduced their names yet, and she looked at the new fellow pointedly. His expression was confused for a few seconds until he figured out what she probably meant. "Ah, sorry, I'm Smith!" Nodding, Nanika gave her own name. Giving him directions to where the rest of her team was, she headed over to the Proctor's assistant. I'm teaming up with Ninsar, some tall man with an axe, and the Smith fellow heading over to them. After the man noted it down and nodded, Nanika jogged back over to rejoin her group.

Her eyes sparkling, she faced the other three members as she spoke. "Well hello everyone, seems like we're a team. So let's give it our all, 'cause I'm not about to give up, and none a y'all better either! Hopefully, this would inspire a sense of camaraderie, which would be good for a team. Sure, she could have gone alone if it wasn't required to have teams, but having other people would be a good safety measure. On top of that, she'd get to make friends. Ninsar was her friend, right? Glancing at the small girl, she smiled happily.

Ryuuken was in a state of panic. He had to find a team of four?! But... he didn't know anyone in here! He just fixed the doors that he had kicked down and went to his corner and began to do his set of push ups for the day. He didn't know who to ask or who would even take him!!

Everyone was rushing around finding partners, and sadly making groups faster than the mountain man could even keep track of. Everyone he asked either had a group or... Really just didn't want him. He could understand why. He probably looked stupid with his muscles, and to be honest, he knew he didn't know much about this strange new world he stepped foot in. People always called him too kind or too naive. Well, it could be worse... He supposed.

He then noticed a tall, dark skinned woman. She was just a little shorter than him, and she had some scars along her body, meaning she could fight! This should be a good sign, right? Someone who can fight, and looked like a good fight. Oh! Maybe after the exams were over, they could have a sparring match! That sounded like a lot of fun. He walked over and placed alone of his oversized hands on her shoulder, not caring or knowing about the concept of personal space.

"Hi! My name is Ryuuken! Do you need a teammate?" he asked with a giant grin and a cheerful voice. This had to work, right?

"Aye, we'll be a group.  That doth make for three of us.  Only one remains..."

She spoke like a girl of old.  Almost as if she were a pirate.  To Warden, this was as intriguing as it was hilarious. 

"We'd be glad to have you on ourteam. Now if you will excuse me, I'll go look for the fourth and talk to the Proctor."

This one was a bit more cheery.  Excited even.  She had just gladly accepted Warden's company and now was up to get a partner to complete their grouping.  It had been the simplest process Warden had been a part of.  And at last, their fourth came running towards them.  He'd yet to introduce himself, but judging by the fact that he had returned along side Nanika, their team was complete.  Now it was just a matter of the exam beginning.  

The proctor would hopefully begin making his rounds shortly, verifying teams and that sort of thing.  Then it was only a matter of learning what their first challenge would be.  Judging by the fact that everyone was being forced into groups, perhaps it was some kind of relay race!?

Unlikely, but Warden could dream.  While he waited, Warden went on to introduce himself.

"My name is Warden.  I appreciate your help.  So who here will be leading this group?" he asked, wanting to quickly establish a line of communication and organization.

x393wz.jpg

ULXKCSD.png

x393wz.jpg

Aduain couldn't help but laugh a bit as Ivory lifted him up with her gauntlet he'd been holding onto. She was really strong and cool in a lot of ways. She patted him on the head briefly as she set him back down. Aduain quickly scooped up his bag as they both turned their attention to the crowd that was rushing to form teams for the exam. Ivory caught sight of what looked like cat people. Aduain had seen cats before. Various human homes he'd been in had cats in them too. He got a little nervous when she mentioned they probably wouldn't eat them. He had no idea cats liked eating fish. The ones he'd seen always had these weird little dry things they ate. As Emui approached he noticed she seemed to be looking at him a little more than Ivory. A bit of worry over being first on the menu would have set in had Aduain not taken notice of her ears and tail. Emui had extended an invitation to make a team with them as well as her hands likely for handshakes but curiosity was taking over for Aduain.

"You really are a cat person..." he said almost in awe of what he was seeing. "People tried to tell me only humans could have children with humans. How'd a person and a cat manage to..." he trailed off seemingly not wanting to pursue that thought much farther. He started shifting from side to side to get different angles on Emui. Particularly he was examining her ears which seemed real enough. Then there was the tail. He couldn't tell if it was really connected or not due to the clothes she was wearing. He really wanted to tug on her tail a bit to be sure but he'd have to save that for later. Tail pulling probably wasn't a good way to make friends with a cat person or get them to join your team. Aduain sort of snapped back into focus remembering where he was and what was going on.

"Yeah sure we can team up!" he said as he took hold of Emui's right hand and shook it as he'd been taught to by various humans he'd interacted with. He didn't really get why people felt the need to shake hands but it was fun enough.

x393wz.jpg

4Pq1E1b.jpg

x393wz.jpg

“You want in? I’m sure we’ll find another easily. I got my eye on a few candidates already.”

Sure enough Arash's curiosity about her had remained unabated by her warning. The request to have her on his team was surely meant as a means to get more information or understanding. It was the logical outcome of the conversation and circumstances as they had unfolded. Not that Xiu always had the best grasp on every day logic. She nodded her head in response to Arash's question with little else to say on the matter. It was an exciting opportunity to learn about Nekomimis and humanoid birds even if they were unlikely to have any information she really wanted. It might have been natural to worry about the overall strength of their team but Xiu was confident she was more than capable of handling what the test had to throw at her due to her knowledge of nen. But that was something she didn't need to reveal until necessary.

Just as Xiu was contemplating what strategies to employ for the test a man approached their little group introducing himself as Tinman. Or at least she gathered his name to be Tinman from the man voicing his thoughts while also speaking to them. It was always entertaining to see others do things she did herself. Perhaps her mind was simply giving her a reminder of the silly things she did. Regardless this man claimed to have some inside information on the exam and on the off chance it was true she didn't want it getting to anyone else.

"I think we'd love to have you along, Tinman was it? I enjoy seeing someone else willing to think out loud. But you'll have to take up joining us with our kitty cat here," she said motioning to Arash. "He's the natural born leader of the three of us and we have to do these sorts of things in an orderly and official way. I'm sure you understand." she said as she shifted focus back to thinking and preparing. She started playing with the ends of her hair again some as she waited for Arash's response to being called a kitty cat or a natural born leader. Knowing humans as well as she did she could guess his reaction but this wasn't a human she was dealing with. Every test was a step towards greater understanding.

x393wz.jpg

Arash couldn’t help but smile at bit at the bird’s response. He wasn’t so sure about how strong the kid would be, though he didn’t want to underestimate, but he hadn’t put him on the team because of strength. The exuberance Cammie showed made Arash want to say something particularly nasty but he settled for a simple. “We’ll see, kid.” And checked for Xiu’s response.

When he thought about it, he hadn’t asked Xiu because he thought she was strong, either. He considered if he was making a mistake, making his team based on compassion and amusement. However...he was sure even alone he could deal with whatever this test was. He decided that he could afford a bit of whimsy in his choices here. “Good choice. Now, for the last one I think we should...eh?"

A man, an older man than many around, came towards them then. Arash took an instant dislike of him, something about him just...felt off. Arash couldn’t place it but he trusted his instincts. Nonetheless he would listen to what the man had to say.

"I have connections on the inside of the exam team, and have been informed as to some secrets and tips. So I thought to myself, ‘Hey, Tinman’. That’s my name by the way, ‘Why don’t you do the right thing, and help out some kids through this.’ Look at me, I’m an older guy, I won’t last the whole exam probably, but I’m good at what I do, and I can help some people who will. AKA, you three. What do you say?”

Arash raised his eyebrow. Before he could respond, Xiu piped up with her input. Seems she took a shine to this wackjob. That kinda bothered Arash.
Though it really bothered him when Xiu called him a kitty cat. “Hey just because...wait, leader?” He had to pause. It was true he was the one to ask everyone, thereby forming the group, but leader? Making rules, giving laws, that kinda thing? Wasn’t exactly his style. But... “Yeah, you know what fine, I’m the leader. Rule one, don’t funk me over. Rule two, try and not die. As for you...”

“Are you mentally ill?” He grabbed the man by the shirt and pulled him closer. “Or are you one of those political snake types? Let me tell you right now that if you think you’ll get away with bullshitting me you’re dead wrong.” He patted the case slung over his back, which had his sniper rifle inside. “Emphasis on dead. So you better not be lying.” He let his gaze travel up and down the man. He wasn’t all that impressive looking, honestly, despite his words. Arash’s eyes flicked around the room and he almost groaned when he realized his choices for potentional teammates were all finding teams while he was busy gabbing with this guy. He had to form a team fast if he wanted one at all. “Fine, you’re in. Just pull your damn weight and we won’t have a problem.”

He took a few steps back, surveying his group. An insane book lover, a baby bird, and a snake in human form. Well sheet, this couldn’t have gone any worse had he tried. Arash sighed. “Guess I’ll go let the cyclops know we have a team...or whatever this mess is supposed to be.”

Tinman backed up, and brushed off his shirt. Honestly, that cat-boy/girl is one mean feline, Tinman was preparing a witty retort but he/she wandered off shortly after threatening him, apparently dealing with him team wouldn’t be as easy as he had hoped but it worked easily enough. He was glad that the bird and the girl was kind enough to him, they seemed trusting… not a good trait. Tinman looked back at the two remaining group members, “Well… we’re all friends now. Bully for us!” he said with the brightest smile he could muster, “Now, if you excuse me, I need to find the little boy’s room…”

Tinman escaped the group shortly after Arash, their formation was set, no need to stick around, there was more important business to get to, he knew a bit more about the game, and was free to move. Tinman’s plans were never destined to resign to the role of observer, settled comfortably into a group that he felt confident enough leading into the exam, business could resume. Humans have a nasty tendency to play out in the most logical way, the strongest win, the smartest win, etc. Underdogs are underdogs because they’re chances are shy none. Tinman had embraced a differing ideology, and letting things play out that way seemed tragic, bordering on criminal, most of all here.

Having broken away from his posse, finding little need in doing little more than confirming his group, he slipped out of eye shot and found an empty table as the crowd scrambled to organize themselves. His momentary reprieve bought him time, time enough to find an alternate plan of action. He wiped out an obsolete model mobile phone from his inner clothing, and proceeded to clumsily play with it. While age is not directly proportional to one’s ability to utilize technology, it just increases the likelihood one gives up trying to keep up; and Tinman and fallen below that line at some point but learned enough simple functions. The screen lit up dimly, showing one new message. It was a response to a request he made to ‘friend’. Coming to a Hunter Exam blind might be a good idea to some, maybe even honorable but there was no fault to keep one’s self informed. Thankfully, long life blesses one with enough connections to help in such circumstances.

Tinman’s eye strayed over the lit pixels, and a variety of expressions waxed and waned over his face from grim smile to resigned frown. His gaze froze over one particular line, and his mouth opened lightly in surprise. “She wouldn’t be an awful choice, certainly might have fun doing it…” he said quietly. He ran further down the message and he mumbled to himself, “To think, we’d have a patron of such a forsaken place grace us here,” he promptly closed the phone and checked over his shoulders to ensure no nosy devils had been too curious. As he rose from his seat, he scanned the room, someone like that would stick out like a sore thumb in the luxuries of the illustrious club-room.

His eyes rested on the pink-white haired girl he had previously noted for having a disco ball for hair, “Must be Nanika, tragic.” He figured he might as well take a shot if his lead was half as good as he hoped. Tinman rose and crossed the room, towards her as nonchalantly as possible. “Excuse me!” he said hastily after breaking from the crowd and bumping his shoulder with the girl, she was concluding business with her group. He tried to make it obvious, as he palmed her Hunter badge with slight of hand, “My fault, good luck!”

Tinman disappeared back into the crowd now holding onto Nanika’s exam badge, he found himself a comfortable spot at the VIP bar, which was nearly vacant as the crowd was on their feet. She’d find him missing soon hopefully, ‘I’d hate to accidentally disqualify her if she’s without when the test starts,’ she chuckled to himself. 

He had been content to absent-mindedly watching those around him, trying to study the society that life had decided to throw him into.

"Oh...and...what happened to the table, dear fiery beast?"

It seemed however, that life itself had other plans for him, though, after the other being started yammering away, causing him to tune out for a few seconds and fold down his ears in an attempt to deaden the energetic voice. He heard the name mentioned in reference to the male human, but wasn't paying attention to much else. "Yeah I think that's everything. So who's up next?"

Oh, wait, he finished.

Just as Taikyu went to open his muzzle to answer the original question, the air started to strangely enough to become thicker, making it similar enough to the super-heated air near the Mother Volcano for him to breathe easier. A confused frown fell upon his muzzle before his ears perked up and pointed towards a new voice that strangely rumbled through the air.

He had turned his snout in the general direction of the voice midway, then towards the 'lackey' mentioned before his ears caught another voice, this one close to and the original one that approached him.

After the other, this 'Lettess' person continued on before he finally stood up onto his four paws and stretching, revealing the leathery orange appendage on his back that stretched straight up with the black metal quarterstaff in hand.

"One: I do not know what a 'table' is. All I know is that this place needs better laying spots."
Two: My name is Taikyu Zephyr, and among other things, I hope to be the first Armagni hunter and to secure peace from other poaching Hunters for my family.
Three: ..."

At this point, he first turned his snout towards the female human first that approached him, pointing at her with the tip of the whip-like appendage on his back, the whip-arm, after putting his quaterstaff down for a second. "Miarish," he barked out with a little difficulty in a questioning tone, as if hoping for confirmation that he got the name right. Last thing one wants is to wind up calling out the name and only finding out after death that one has been calling the wrong name.

As soon as she gave confirmation or any indicator that he was right in his attempted pronunciation, he did the same with the male human instead. "Lettesh..."

Hang on, that didn't sound right, even to himself. He tried pronouncing it again and the same slip occurred near the end, prompting him to shake his head before picking the weapon back up without needing to look at it. "...sorry for the name error..."

"...sorry for the name error..."

Lettess just looked on with his eyes about to explode from his head looking at the sheer awesomeness that was standing before him. You...are...soo cool. Taikyu, Taikyu Lettess kept repeating the horses name to get familiar with it. Well that's cool we got three team members so far so all we need is a fourth. Lettess looked around cartoonishly. He almost made a full 360 degree turn until he noticed a massive black and grey figure behind Miaris. He jumped back instinctively because he did not notice this creature even though it was clearly next to him for some period of time. What kind of stealthy being is even capable of that. After a second of thought a lightbulb lit up inside his head. 

OMG ITS A NINJA! He shouted while pointing at their new visitor. 

To be fair En was far from new. He had actually been that close to the group the entire time. He just was not paying that much attention to them. Well that is a lie for miscellaneous reason he was paying attention to all potential threats. These exams are said to be very dangerous. It would not be a surprise if the exam proctors hired child assassins to help thin the herd. Then there was the horse creature...it was a horse creature it would be hard not to look at it. It was when the proctor mentioned needing a team of four that En decided it would be best to take some form of action. Ninjas work as individuals not as groups...this was going t to be a problem. That was of course until the over energetic child proclaimed they needed a fourth. Children couldn't be that hard to work with could they? 

After making himself known to the group he waved his hand, pointed to himself and then held up the number four. Lettess then snuck over to Taikyu and Miaris and whispered the question. Hey, what do you think he's tryna say? En tilted his head as this may be harder than he initially thought.

Fortunately for this seemingly-mute stranger, this would not be the first time that Taikyu has dealt with a silent being. Though it was rare, it wasn't so rare that one or two of each generation of Armagnis to wind up either mute or missing one of their five senses. However, how an mute Armagnis communicates and how a human communicates is a fair bit different. Thankfully for the group, the actions used were ones he's seen used before. "You wish to join us, yes?" After waiting a few seconds for a reply, verbal or not, Taikyu continued on while keeping his eyes on the newcomer to hopefully avoid missing something. "Do you have a way to give us your name?"

En thought that it was odd that the most logical one of the group was the one that looked the most strange. En nodded to the Taikyu's question. However the treasure hunter female did not exactly speak up yet. She seemed to be the intuitive type. Once he had earned her trust she would become quite the valuable asset. En put his left hand over his right arm and began typing into what looked like a nothing but soon after he flexed his wrist and words started popping up one by one on his right forearm. 

My...name...is...EN

Lettess looked on and realized that maybe he was a bit too simplistic when it came to these matters. But what good would not trusting people be.That's not how he was raised. Well his upbringing was a lot more combative, but still the point still stands. 

So we should go over to the first exam proctor and record all of our numbers. Right? En nodded in response and as he looked at the boys hands while he talked couldn't help but notice something. This boy is very adept at taking life. His optimism is a knee jerk reaction from trauma. Its almost unnatural how natural his optimism is. The same could be said for this Treasure Hunter. She is as introverted and guarded as the chef is extroverted. She's hiding her true strength for whatever reason, but out of the three she has the most likely to become a full fledged Hunter. 

En held up his badge stating that he was number 31 which was weird because Lettess' was number 32. Of course Lettess quickly ran to go report this to the head proctor person. 

"So we should go over to the first exam proctor and record all of our numbers. Right?"

"Yeah, I assume so.

And nice to meetcha, En! My name is Miaris. Please don't sneak behind me again, ok?" Miaris reaffirmed Lettess' question before greeting the ninja person, trying her best to sound cheerful, a bit forcefully so. She's quite uncomfortable with how he was already behind her all the time, but at least she assumed that En didn't do something funny while being there. At least, even with her innate uncomfortableness while being around a ninja, the team is complete now. With Lettess' prompt, she revealed the number 399 to the boy, and expected Taikyu to do the same. To pass time as Lettess went towards the examiners to confirm the team, Miaris decided to see more about her current teammates. Thinking about it, if she was an actual witch, their current team would look like a typical fantasy party. Lettess look like a frontline fighter, she would be the witch caster, En being a support ninja, and Taikyu..would be the mandatory mascot of the team. Giggling a bit at the thought, she then decided to go ahead and ask the question directly to the fire beast.

"Taikyu uh...you don't mind telling me more about you and your kind? First time I see one of you, and I'm getting curious.

Also you spelled my name wrong, and Lettess sounded even more like a vegetable when you said his name."

Archived