HxH: 108 Stars of Destiny [IC]

Aix

Nanika

Nanika finished talking to her new teammates, someone was towards her. Not immediately whipping around to face them, she waited to see what would happen. When they bumped into her shoulder, Nanika looked up at the man, almost missing his hand snaking out in a whipping motion as he simultaneously apologized. Before she could speak another word though, he merged with the masses once more. Patting herself down, she realized her badge was missing.

"Oh, so that's what this is about, huh?"

Losing the badge meant she would be disqualified, and that wasn't an option. Leaping off the ground almost an entire five feet off the air, she caught sight of the man at a bar table. Lightly stepping on the heads of some poor fellows, she vaulted over the crowd with a flip and landed on her feet on the other side. With a gentle smile on her face, she approached the mysterious figure, her hand out.

"I do believe that badge is mine. If you would be so kind as to return it, that would be much appreciated."

Despite her calm tone, there was a hard undertone that made it clear she wasn't about to take a no for an answer.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Your words are nice, but your eyes are daggers, young lady,” Tinman joked as he showed the girl’s badge in his hand. He kept this fist closed around most of the badge, until he spoke again, “Nanika, I think your name is. Don’t ask how I know, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you who told me. I’m Tinman.” He held up her badge between his fingers loosely now, showing it to her plainly, “Sorry about taking it, I have no intention on winning that way. I had to break you from the group a second, I had something of a proposition for you.

He didn’t need to see her face to see that a girl like Nanika would be high skeptical of him, but ideas are parasitic things and she’d be someone who might just act on them. “Exams are naturally a high competitive, don’t you think?” He didn’t wait for an answer, he already laid out the most plausible method of persuading her. From what he knew, she was warped enough to kill but not enough to do so thoughtlessly, but that wouldn’t be enough. Tinman had to utilize her morality, protective instincts. “I happen to know there are those taking the exam who would prey on those they see as unfit; dishonorable and villainously even killing outside the rules of the exam.”

Tinman held out his hand and the badge, “The next stage of the exam will start soon, but from what little I know about you, I’ve been lead to believe you wouldn’t let such a thing stand bec-” Tinman raised his free hand to his mouth, as if holding back emotions. “I’ll level with you, your team is targeted by these people. They see your friends as weak and are planning to hurt them. You have a reputation for being strong, I owed you at least this much.” Tinman let go of the badge and stared into Nanika’s eye, “There is a man over there in white hair, he’s one of these shadowy characters but he’s been eyeing your team… his name’s Alexandre.”

Tinman stood up, and nodded to Nanika, “I hope to see you and your team alive by the time we meet again,” he said glancing every few seconds back to the white haired man across the room. He dismissed himself and left back for his team. It’s enough for now, he’ll get to the next one soon...

"Ah yes, pardon me for not introducing myself. My name is Alexandre du Lac, hailing from the Phiora Regione. Pleasure to be working with you, Razia of the Screaming Desert," replied Alexandre with a business smile. "Although you may not think he appears very competent, this man here is Ahmed bin al-Waleed, one of the top 100 richest men in the world. Now that introductions are over, it would appear we only need to find one more person."

No sooner than said, another person appeared. He seemed to be a martial artist of some sort, with well-developed musculature, and he called himself "Ryuuken". Just as Alexandre was about to speak, the oil prince stepped forth, seeming to cross the distance between them in an instant when none of them were looking.

"With this our team of four is complete, hmmmmm," said Ahmed, stroking his long curled mustache. "Good, good, let us go submit our numbers to the Proctor." With that he walked ahead towards the Proctor's assistant.

His rhythm once more disturbed by the oil prince's haphazard actions, Alexandre could only give the others a helpless look and follow his employer behind.

iU8EggM.png

"About five minutes have passed," said the Proctor. "Those of you who haven't submitted your teams yet..." he smiled. "Congratulations, you have already failed the Hunter Exam."

At that point, someone cried out angrily. "What?! I didn't come all this way—Aeuuughhhh!" Doubling over, he spit out blood.

"I'd visit a hospital quickly, you seemed to have bitten your tongue quite severely," said the Proctor, sneering. Those who caught his movements would have seen him create a circle with his index finger and thumb and stab a pocket knife into the circle, but once the knife entered the circle, the knife's blade disappeared. Pulling the knife out again, the knife was whole but stained with blood and the Proctor quickly put it away.

The majority of people had no clue what happened, but sensing the chilly atmosphere the Proctor gave off, there were no more dissenters.

Alexandre narrowed his eyes as he watched and muttered under his breath. "There it is, that strange power. They called it Nen. I wonder what variety of things are possible with it. It would certainly be exciting if I could learn to use this Nen myself."

"Now, you" said the Proctor, pointing to the main door of the VIP room.

iU8EggM.png

Everyone followed the Proctor through the door. They were in for a shock, there was no way this was the seventy-eighth floor outside the Amir Alllayl VIP room, the door opened up to a massive indoor coliseum with a twenty-meter diameter fighting ring, that looked like a bigger UFC ring, except without the fence. A floor up was a dining area filled with rich spectators watching; Alexandre realized that these were all the hotel guests he had seen earlier coming in.

"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present you some late night entertainment! These are the examinees of this year's Hunter Exam, all of you fortunate enough to witness the First Phase of the famous Hunter Exam in action right before your eyes!" the Proctor announced into a microphone. "In order to pass this Phase, the participants must defeat their opponents in a no bars held four-on-four, and do it with style. We are fortunate enough to have our panel of three judges who will be deciding whether our participants pass, the Honorable Deneb, the Amazing Vega, and last but not least, the Neglected Altair."

As if on cue, a figure draped in the vibrant crimson and golds emerged from the woodwork as if by magic in the most theatrical fashion. Artificial lighting blinded the room, and gave the new arrival an entrance to remember; a vaguely male silhouette formed, the colors now resting into an array of gaudy jackets, scarves, overcoats, and accessories. He stood standing on the balcony of the stadium, overlooking the arriving crowd as if waiting for applause for his company. His angular sharp face was brimming with confidence and a grin from ear to ear.

“I grace you with my company, for it is I, the Amazing V-”

His display was shattered by a monstrous hand which grasped a fistful of fabric behind the dramatic man, and threw him with outrageous strength backwards and into a black embellished chair.

The fist belonged to a man who was overshadowed by the previous theatrics but he was no less unorthodox, the beast of a man, was clad in the steel, elaborate but practical from head to toe. His hair was shielded by a face helm, which only showed an aged face chipped through the years of discipline. He turned to the crowd, “Honorable Deneb. We will watch for your valor and strength.” He spared little words. He swiftly sat in the middle of three seats to allow the Proctor to continue. There was a third man beside him. When did he get there?

The Proctor spoke again as the first group stepped onto the fighting ring. "Allow me to explain the terms of this match. You are to knock your opponent out of the ring, if they touch the ground outside they lose, and the team that is completely out of the ring loses the match. Any weapon is allowed, except you are not allowed to fire firearms. Deaths and serious injuries are an inevitability, but you are free to flee the ring at any time. At my signal, you will begin fighting."

iU8EggM.png

Match 1: Team Sundowner vs Team Arash

“Lucky me, looks like we wandered into the candy aisle of teams. I ain’t sure half you guys are old enough to be this far from your parents. Go ahead and leave whenever!” -Hyun

“Hyun, don’t be so cocky. It’s easy but your mouth will doom us all if you refuse to shut up from time to time. Let the our tazmanian devil take a shot.” - Rashad

“I sheet you not, Rashad, I’ll beat you with a stick in an alley. Yo’ little shits we’re fighting! We don’t take tears for surrenders, you’ll have to say so; loudly too.” - Leon

“Conclude this quickly...” -Hikariganai

Match 2: Team Queen and Aces vs Team Emui

“They don’t look so tough, kind of disappointed myself. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but, you’d think we’d want at least a decent warm-up for the later matches. Render, you want to do something about this?”-Jezel

“I’ll do what Jacklyn thinks is best…”-Render

“Of course you would…”-Jezel

“Play nice, Jezel. Underestimating your opponent will lead you to an early grave,” -Piper

“Focus up, let’s not give away a match talking the whole time!” - Jacklyn

Match 3: Team Razia vs Team Khaldro

"Man, a fatty, some pretty boy princess, an exotic dancer, and a Bluce Ree wannabe. Seems like we drew the easy team! However, I, DJ Khaldro, will not be going easy on you!" said a colorful man wearing headphones. He proceeded to burst into crazed laughter.

"Are you a match for me? Well, we can only see!" cried a girl, brandishing her gloved fists. "Omigosh! That rhymed! My name's Betty!"

"..." the woman wearing a tophat obscuring her face with shadows was silent.

"JUSTICE and the LAW will side with me, Felix Tight!" announced a blond young man pointing his finger at no one in particular.

"Man, are we supposed to do these sort of flashy introductions, too?" asked Alexandre, cringing slightly as he scratched his head.

Match 4: Team Lettess vs Team Muscle

"This fight will be your last! I, Minus-1, will ensure it so!" roared a muscular and not very stealthy-looking ninja.

"Now, face the mighty Buffalo!" cried another really muscular guy in red.

"Fear the name of the dread Captain Teach!" roared a buff old pirate.

"So you've come to face Kono Muscle-san!" thundered a muscular asian man.

Match 5: Team Nanika vs Team Learistikk

"And so the lion has come to devour the lamb!" declared a pale teen.

"Baby, ooooohhhhh, yes you, baby, with the pink hair! If I, Just Beaver Learistikk, was your boyfriend, I'd let you win!" cried an effeminate teen.

"I'll be kicking your ass," said a man wearing sunglasses.

"Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory will be mine," said a cowboy wannabe.

An arena? The hell? Arash shook his head as they were led into the place where they would be taking the next test. Sounds like it would be an elimination match against another team. Arash wondered which of the group of weirdos he’d be forced to bring down.

He gazed open mouth at the people who would be judging them. “These circus clowns are judges, the funk kind of test is this?” Arash said, baffled at the outrageous behavior he saw in the first few moments of introduction. Whatever, he’d just get this over with and that was that.
The Proctor explained the rules, Arash groaning at the thought of such strict rules. His stealth would be completely useless and...no firearms? Fine, funk you too, test. Arash dropped his sniper rifle case to the side. “I’ll be back for you later.” He said to it.

And then he was staring down his opponents. Two of them looked flashy and ridiculous, and the other two looked almost comically serious. Yeah that seemed about right for this place so far.
“Alright guys keep away from the edges at first, until we find out what these guys can do.” He was glad he didn’t lose if any of them fell, he’d just have to keep himself in it and they’d be fine.
Shortly after this, the opponents introduced themselves.
The first one pissed him off, but that third JABRONI, ooooh that guy landed himself neck deep in Arash’s sheet list from the start. “Hey cuntface, yeah, I mean you.” He said to the long haired young man. “How long you think it’ll be till I make you eat your words. I give it five seconds, tops.”

Arash barely waited for the referee to say start before he rushed the guy. He could tell by their expressions they hadn’t expected such a bold and, honestly unwise, forward charge.

But the long haired boy only smiled. “Warned you.” He suddenly charged forward at high speed, rushing the catboy with even more speed than Arash had.

There was a wild glint in Arash’s eyes. Good, the little funk took the bait, revealed his skills right away. And at this distance it should be easy to....
Arash halted his movement, and sidestepped as the other boy got close, then brought his leg up at an angle, aiming for the boy’s stomach. The strike was a solid one, on both sides. Arash winced as he tried to deflect the damage and his opponent gasped as his momentum was suddenly stopped.

Arash ignored the stinging in his leg and lowered it, but only so he could move into a position to bring the other around in a roundhouse kick straight to the boy’s face.
"Five!"
While Arash and Leon clashed, the other, who expected Leon to win in the head-on charge, were already preparing to take out the rest of the team.
Hikariganai gazed upon the foes, and saw among them a child. “Better to die than to grow up in a world such as this.” He said, before raising his hand. A trio of light blasts shot from his hand, heading for the birdboy.

WYqmEKA.png

Cammie seemed to be in his own little world while they were being led to the site of the first test. He swayed from side to side, a small chirp escaping him as he hums softly. He doesn't seem to really pay much attention to the announcement of the judges either, in fact... At this point, it was pretty clear that he had been listening to music the entire time. When he finally popped the earbuds out of his ears, he just grinned at the other team and laughed. He did pay attention once the proctor began to explain the rules, making a note of the limit against specifically firearms, but once the taunting from the other team began, he just shrugged a little bit as he looked at them. He turned to the one who spoke first, Hyun, and mimicked in her voice, 

"You're right, I'm looking right at the candy aisle!"

He smirked a little bit as he reached over his shoulder, pulling the bow from his cello. He gave it a few short swings as he hums softly, eyeing the other team for a moment as he took a deep breath... He waited for the countdown from the referee, the sign to start, anything. It was starting to get to him, he was getting a bit tense. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the START was given, and Cammie laughed. Arash wasted no time in getting going, and he knew that was going to be the standard for this group.

He kept his eyes on the opposing team, taking a look at the leader for a brief moment. He narrowed his eyes as he saw him began to prepare the attack, his wings stretching out quickly. He jumped into the air, one of the light blasts hitting the ground where he had been standing, another one sailing just past there, while another shot into the air underneath him. His wings began to beat as he held himself into the air, his other hand pulling his cello off his back as he hums to himself, "I really hope that you're reaaaady.~ To die fiiiinaally.~"

He didn't bother to aim as he pulled the trigger on his crossbow, a single bolt shooting from the end of the cello and flew towards the leader of the enemy group. His wings fluttered as he fell back down to the ground, slowing his descent as he laughs, "Soooo tell me how you want~ to end this!~ In a TV show, in a quiz maybe?~"

He looks back up at the leader, seeing that he avoided the bolt. He huffs softly as he points his cello-crossbow back at the older male, "Oh come on, you're all serious and stuff! You gotta put some flair into this, mister! Sing a musical number with me!~"

Cammie grinned as he braced himself for the next attack, watching as the man prepared another blast of light to launch towards the boy. He hefted his cello up once again, shooting another bolt towards him, hoping to hit the blast of light he was preparing, "No...? Fine... I'll keep singing then!"

"Oh darlin', please don't cry~ it won't change anything!~ Plus screaming is against the rules, so~rry.~"

---

While Cammie was busy singing to the opponents, the girl he had mocked at the beginning of the fight set her sight on their green-haired teammate. She closed her eyes for a moment as she gripped onto her weapons, a shadow blob starting to rise from the ground next to her. It stayed that way for a moment, until it began to take on a more recognizable form... A double of herself! She laughed as she charged at Xiu, her double by her side. As she approached Xiu, she brought her right hand down towards the girl, the mace gleaming in the light. Her double mimicked the action with its left hand, bringing the dagger down, "This is already over!"

FZPMbmt.png

Ivory kept her eyes on the opposite team, clad in her leather armor once again. She clicked her tongue a little bit at the opposing team, letting out a loud laugh as she listened to them. She gave a wink towards Jezel, her hips swaying ever so slightly, "Oh darling, don't underestimate what you can't hope to understand."

She watches as the woman she spoke it took on a stance... One that wasn't unfamiliar to Ivory. The stance of a hand-to-hand fighter caused her to grin as she brought her hands up to the gems on her armor, her pair of gauntlets appearing on her hands once again as she looks towards the fiery girl again. Once the announcer gave the signal to start, the girl's arms lit up, fire surrounding them as she created a cloak of it, attempting to obscure her charge

Clever girl!

Not clever enough though.

Ivory let out a laugh as she charged forward, her movements fluid as she thrust the palm of her right hand out into the cloak of fire, the gauntlet around her hand smothering the flames in the air as she grins to Jezel, "Are you ready, darling? Looks like we have similar... Tastes.~"

With that comment, Ivory brought her left hand into a jab towards the girl's stomach, which was quickly met with a jab back from her right hand. A small blast was heard between their fists as Jezel growled at Ivory, "What are those things made out of?! That should have knocked you off your feet!"

"Magic!" Amber took control at this point, matching Jezel's force with a second punch towards her shoulder, her right hand coming in fast. Jezel quickly moved her left hand up to block the incoming punch, then balanced herself as she looked at Ivory.

"Oh, it's on."

---

While Ivory instigated the fiery girl's temper, the youngest member of the team quickly fell back behind her teammates. She glanced around the battlefield quickly, doing her best to try to come up with some plan of action that she could send her team on for an assured victory. But with so little information to work with, it was proving to be fairly difficult.

"Jezel, keep the sharkgirl busy! I need more time to figure out what we're doing..." She looked over at the opposing team, quickly scanning the four members. The sharkgirl was obviously a brawler, she probably wouldn't be any match for Jezel in the end.

The small fish was holding a trident of some kind, it might be okay to have their leader go after him...

She reached into her shield and took a deep breath, pulling out a... ball of yarn? What kind of weapon was that? ...And that girl on the opposite side had a ball of yarn too! What was going on here?

Her eyes locked onto the cat girl as she frowned a little bit, trying to find any kind of weapon she might have... She eventually decided that it wasn't worth thinking about anymore, she needed more information before she could make more of a plan. She conjured her shield as she prepared to give an order, "Render, the small black haired girl, keep her occupied. She looks fast, we can't let her have too much free movement."

The male nodded as he held up his hand, a small black sphere appearing before small bullets began to fire towards Emui, trying to keep her locked into a small range of movement.

Lettess was amazed that there was such a quick selection process to the whole get rid of the examinees. If making friends was a way to help becoming a hunter then he was going to be in good shape. Once he realized that he and his friends made their way past the first round of the trial he turned around and gave them a massive thumbs up. But that was just the beginning it was time to follow the proctor to the next stage of the exam. 

En on the other hand was more distracted by the assassination move that Mr. Jackpot used on the failure. This must have been the manifestation of that Hunter's Nen. En was pretty upset that he hadn't mastered Nen to that level. It was one of the few times that he felt incompetent...this was not a good feeling. It makes sense that ninjas don't dabble in these things. He almost felt himself loosing focus on his mission. That didn't matter the setting for the next exam was underway. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The group walked in and bore witness to the chamber of violence that they were supposed to perform for. Lettess looked around and tilted his head. This was pretty savage for an exam. Maybe that's what means to be a Hunter...savagery. He laughed out loud at the thought. 

"Allow me to explain the terms of this match. You are to knock your opponent out of the ring, if they touch the ground outside they lose, and the team that is completely out of the ring loses the match. Any weapon is allowed, except you are not allowed to fire firearms. Deaths and serious injuries are an inevitability, but you are free to flee the ring at any time. At my signal, you will begin fighting."

Lettess looked on and laughed as he wondered what his team would fighting. Were they even a group of fighters? He was a chef by trade but he has had a lot of training when it comes to dealing with wild beast. Maybe that would help him. It didn't look like his team was going to go first so maybe it would be a good a idea to see how others were going to deal with this competition. He still couldn't believe what was happening so the smile was still on his face. He looked to his team thinking of what would he need to say in this situation. Alright guys I know we're going win our match. More thumbs up followed. Lettess looked on eagerly as his hyper activity increased with each passing match. Until finally the announcing board finally read

Match 4: Team Lettess vs Team Muscle

Of course the young chef was so eager to get down to the ring that he almost jumped from the stands to the ring. Luckily the ninja put his hand on the boys shoulder exercising caution. The group slow walked into one side of the ring and they looked across the field at there opponents. 

"This fight will be your last! I, Minus-1, will ensure it so!" roared a muscular and not very stealthy-looking ninja. En stared at this one quite carefully. A ninja in bright blue...no. No to all of this.

"Now, face the mighty Buffalo!" cried another really muscular guy in red.

"Fear the name of the dread Captain Teach!" roared a buff old pirate.

"So you've come to face Kono Muscle-san!" thundered a muscular asian man.

Yeah...well...I'm the chef...and...and...Lettess froze. Yeah I don't have a comeback prepared here! He said sounding quite disappointed. I had three rounds to prepare and I still didn't come up with a comeback. Might as well serve my h...HA that's it! He said as the proverbial lightbulb lit up inside he head. I'm the chef and I'm going to serve you up a big plate of defeat! He looked back at his teammates. What do you think guys? Did it land? I think it landed well. En almost hung his head and chuckled...two emotions in the span of a day...this may not be healthy to continue, but such is the risk of being a ninja. 

En flicked up his right forearm and  the RECON appeared. This was a signal that he was going to go and gage the enemies abilities when when fight started so they would be able to provide appropriate counter strategies for their opponents abilities. En tapped on Lettess' shoulder and pointed to Team Muscle. Lettess raised an eyebrow and just went with it. When the match stated the two of them moved forward. 

BEGIN! 

En immediately took a combat stance and expanded his En aura. Hmmm another ninja! Minus-1 shouted as he launched a volley of ice blast at the two. However when the blast entered a 1 ft radiues of Lettess and En they seemed to explode. Minus-1 snickered. "So that's your range? Pathetic!" En and Minus-1 seemed to disappear as constant rattling was heard all around the cages it seemed ninja showdowns were not meant for the eyes of the regular. 

Lettess looked on as he was surprised that he could actually follow some of those movements. Unfortunately he let himself get so distracted that one of the members of team muscle tried to cleave him in two...or so the pirate thought "No getting distracted brat!" Captain Teach exclaimed. However when the old pirate actually deigned to look down at the boy he would notice that Lettess eyes were on him the entire time! Teach instinctively stopped in his tracks and laid his swords in a flat X in front of him. Not a second later about 50 clangs, clicks and tears were heard. When the man put down his sword he saw the young boy had draw two very sharp butcher knives that came from the hotel's kitchen. "Very good...47 contacts, not bad for a little brat. That speed though, its a problem." Lettess smirked as he didn't think that many people other than his family could block him when he was using food honor. 

Well let's see what happens when I move with the intent to actually harm you. Lettess said somewhat arrogantly. As he said that he noticed that he was about to be tackled by this Buffalo character. Lettess snickered as he was about simply dodge this straight forward attack until the man somehow just picked up speed at the last second which totally caught the youngster by surprise. With coughed blood Lettess was sent flying out of the ring. Luckily he was grabbed in mid air by some "force" (known as ninja En) and tossed right back to Taikyu and Miaris. Lettess stood up and cracked multiple body parts and smiled at his teammates. 

Okay so I think we got a good idea what they can do now! He had a big smile on his face that was pretty much covered in blood. I got the Buffalo man! I'm taking him down myself. Anyone else got any ideas?

"Right, so a battle." Selardi commented flatly as she heard about the proctor's announcement after Emui (bless her) registered the two and their food source...well the fishes as a team. She knew about the chance of facing actually strong opponents, but with how much she had been disappointed before, she felt that it's best if she didn't expect much, even right now. She was going to try starting a conversation with the fishes out of the water, but it was interrupted by the order to go straight to the arena. If she heard about it correctly, she and her team would be in the second match. Waiting for the first match to conclude was quite a pain, but Sela had her balls of yarn to play with so she wasn't really that bored. She watched the fishes and mainly Emui closely too in the meantime. Mainly to make sure Emui or their food source...uh, teammates didn't disappear to nowhere.

And then, soon the battle commenced and the four of them entered the arena, facing the opposing team with a sense of dignity in each of their heart. Probably. The four of her opponents started to smack talk to open the fight and set the atmosphere. Maybe she should also join in, Sela thought.

"All of you wouldn't be enyaugh to stop us, nya. I'll show you all who the real pussies here, meow." With how adorable Emui's speech was, Sela felt like it'd be nice to copy her style so she could be more authentic as a cat. And with that, the battle is on. The female fishgirl was first, dealing with the twintails showing her armpits. Their battle looked interesting, but...probably wouldn't be stimulating enough for Sela, so she decided to shift her attention to the others. The black haired young girl didn't seem like a big threat, and the leader...maybe she would try battling her immediately. However, she realized something a lot more important: her dear Emui was apparently assaulted by the projectiles of a young man. No, no way she would let a fellow cat suffer like that. She picked a nearby pebble, and just like a baseball pitcher, she threw the rock at high speed towards the young man - it also turned into a cat mid-air.

Render was startled with the sudden harsh meowing of a cat, and managed to barely dodge the flying projecatile. He looked around in confusion before decided to contact Piper about it. He didn't say anything, but the startled expression was more than enough to tell the girl about what he's going to ask.

"It's from the woman with the yarn over there! J-just-"

"I'll go handle her instead. Render, keep the small one busy. Piper, stay back and keep an eye on the other fish, and try to assist Jezel and Render if you can.

We'll adapt to any future changes, but now, let's follow that direction. Do not do anything reckless, focus on gauging the strength and capabilities of your opponents beforehand."

With it, the leader stepped on the fray. Sela's eye slitted at the sight of her, perhaps sensing strength coming from her. A catty smile formed on her usually expressionless face as she realized she might get the fight she entered the exam for. However, Jacklyn was not one to mess around, and opened the fight with a shockwave of sonic boom in a linear area before her - of course after warning her teammates of the attack beforehand. The force hit Sela squarely (though it didn't knock her back), and she could start feeling the pain on her body - a sensation she was waiting for. However the attack also deafened her temporarily, which kinda sucked. Sela sighed and made a sign towards Aduain and Emui to inform them that she wouldn't be able to hear them, before turning her attention back at Jacklyn. The girl, however, had used the time after her shockwave to close the gap between the two, and start pounding her with her fist. Each of her strikes and punches was amplified with a certain force, probably Nen. Being Sela, the cat took in all the attacks as she stood her ground steadfastly and figure out the movements of her opponent.

In the meantime, Render continued his intended task of cornering Emui with more and more of his emitted bullets. With the turn of the battle, he decided to try being more aggressive, and start firing waves of smaller pellets to force Emui to react. He shouldn't waste the materials around him for a big blast just yet. In the meantime Piper continued to watch the fights, analyzing the movements of each participants. She's ready to summon her shields again on the others' order.

bz4EDFZ.jpg

A fourth team member, excellent.  Judging by the looks of him, he knew how to fight.  Unlike that spineless mustachio Alexandre was already with.  At least she wouldn't be carrying half the team on her back or anything like that.  Ahmed bin al-Waleed, his name was...and he was one of the richest men in the world.  Razia was not impressed.  All the money in the world meant nothing if you didn't know what to do with it.  This Ahmed guy would have to prove himself if he wanted to impress Razia.  So far, he was doing a terrible job with his first impression.  Much unlike this fourth team member; a big muscular guy named Ryuuken.  He was even bigger than Razia was, and one doesn't just grow muscles without fighting or at least training.  Other than herself, this was probably the person she was most confident about in her team based purely off first impressions.

Five minutes passed, and the proctor made his announcement.  Anyone not in a team had already failed the Hunter Exam.  One boy had complained about something, and while the proctor said he had bitten his tongue, Razia saw what had really happened.  So that was the kind of power Nen users had.  With power like that, then by all means, it would be possible to change the world as needed.  If at any point she was uncertain, Razia's doubts were now certainly erased.  She had to pass this exam, and become a Hunter.  No obstacle would stop her.

The groups were then led into a large combat ring.  A trio of judges were introduced...that Amazing Vega was quite the character.  Not to mention far too flashy for Razia's taste.  Bells and whistles may have been appealing to some, but not this one.  The rules of the match were then explained.  The first team to be knocked entirely out of the ring lost?  Seemed easy enough; Razia's team had at least two members that were pretty big and quite strong; not getting knocked out would be easy.  However, when Razia was faced with her opponents, it became about more than just knocking them out of the ring.

This enemy team was beyond annoying.  Just the boy with the headphones on his own was already loud and obnoxious enough that Razia wanted to punch his lights out.

"I want the boy with the headphones," Razia growled.  "You boys can pick from the rest among yourselves."

VIwyCMI.jpg

Well, that had gone far easier than Emui had anticipated.  A pair of fish people teaming up with a catgirl and the human who seemed to act like she was a cat.  With the team all well and assembled, their numbers had been reported in to the proctor.  A short while later, teams were sent to an arena and the rules were explained.  First team to be thrown entirely out of the ring loses.  And the opposing team seemed to have their eyes on her, probably because she was unarmed, unarmored, and simply looking at them like she wasn't taking them seriously at all.  Then, however, that one boy among them started shooting at Emui all of a sudden!

She'd dodged worse from better, however.  It was just a matter of jumping, rolling, misdirecting, and running around.  For a human, this would probably be tough, but for Emui Valentine, it was easy!  This chump couldn't even tou--

POW!

One of his shots nailed her right in the wrist.  It knocked her back a good distance, but she avoided falling out of the ring.  Okay.  Now she was pissed.  Didn't this guy ever learn that you don't shoot a cat without making sure you kill it?  Now this Render boy had a really pissed nekomimi darting straight at him on all fours.  He done funked up now.

AN9JTWn.png

"And so the lion has come to devour the lamb!" declared a pale teen.

"Baby, ooooohhhhh, yes you, baby, with the pink hair! If I, Just Beaver Learistikk, was your boyfriend, I'd let you win!" cried an effeminate teen.

"I'll be kicking your ass," said
a man wearing sunglasses.

"Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory will be mine," said
a cowboy wannabe.

...these guys were nuts.  Even Ninsar could see that much, and she wasn't exactly in touch with the standards of the modern world.  Looking around at her own teammates, then back at the enemy team, the petite zombie pointed at the effeminate teen.  "I shalt combat that one.  He seems the weakest."

Things were going well for Ryuuken! He was accepted into the team with no issues. That was great, since that meant that he wasn't eliminated from the tests, like some of the others. Still... he had a rather... fat man as a teammate and a guy who looked too pretty to really know how to fight. Well, his sensei always told him looks were deceiving, so he would have to wait until he saw them fight before he could pass judgment.

The team was herded into an ring, where the rules were explained. As Ryuuken understood it, all they had to do was get their opponents to land outside of the ring? Well, that shouldn't be too bad. He cracked his knuckles as a guy in headphones called him a Bluce Ree wannabe. Who was Bluce Ree anyways? Oh well, now was not the time for pondering things like that. It was time to fight!

"I want the boy with the headphones," Razia growled for some reason. Was she made about something?  "You boys can pick from the rest among yourselves."

"Alright!" Ryuuken nodded and took off, moving at a surprising speed for a man his size. He was fast enough to get in from of this 'Felix Tight' and forcefully drive an elbow into the man's throat. "GEN...,"  He then took his other fist and performed an uppercut into Felix's stomach. "NO…" Finally, he redirected the force of the uppercut into a rising uppercut that caught Felix's chin, "RYUOU…," sending the blond haired man skyward as Ryuuken leapt into the air. "TSUME!" He smirked as he landed on his feet, watching Felix fly into the air. How would he recover? What would be his counterattack?

God, this was exciting!!

Felix landed on his back, groaning as he did. Well, the big guy knew how to hit hard, but this was perfect. His judo would shine today! Felix got back up to his feet and pointed his finger at Ryuuken.

"You're good, but with JUSTICE at my side, I can not lose to you!" He then charged at the much larger man. Ryuuken smirked and adjusted his stance before throwing a mighty punch at Felix. Felix, however, managed to sidestep the attack and grab the larger fighter's wrist, twisting around and performing a judo throw, tossing Ryuuken over his shoulder and onto the ground. A faint 'boom' was heard as Ryuuken landed painfully on his back. 

With a grin, Ryuuken spun around on the ground, aiming to catch Felix off guard with a sweep kick. Felix, however, predicted this and performed a backflip to avoid being tripped up. Ryuuken quickly flipped up, using his hands as leverage to flip back on his feet. The two were grinning widely at each other before charging, fists drawn back to attack the other. 

A mighty cross counter occurred as the two punched the other in the face, a shockwave created from their blows. Neither one was looking to give up ground, each trying to push the other over their limits. The question was, who would falter first?

Nanika

”Tinman, huh.”

Nanika’s arm snaked out at lightning speeds to palm the badge, but stopped midway as she heard the man make an offer. Her hand clenched tightly when she heard about the existence of the villains that would also be partaking in the trial. Combat for the strongest was all fit and good, but intentionally preying on the weak and even breaking the sacred, inviolable rules of this Exam? This was unacceptable, and competitors who would fall to such dishonor would have justice brought down upon them. It wasn’t like she hadn’t expected the presence of such people already, given how much she had witnessed of people’s true nature, especially in a place like this. Rather, her hope that this test would go over with integrity, had just crumbled. As if that wasn’t enough, the man went on to reveal that those nefarious people were targeting not just any random underdogs, but her friends? This was something she could absolutely not have. It went against her very being, her morality, her creed.

”Those wicked people will meet their comeuppance.”

Nanika’s voice was unnaturally calm, her burning hot resolve only belied by her steely expression and whitening knuckles. Glancing over at Alexandre when Tinman pointed out the white-haired figure, if looks could kill, he would have been dead. Even so, her aura began to take on a noticeable chill as her bloodlust infused into it. She was about to approach Alexandre when the voice of the Proctor rung out, giving directions to the next stage. You may have slipped away from me for now, but I will come for you...

It seemed as if this part would be determined by a battle royale-style competition. That was fine. The terms suited her just fine as well. The judging crew was quite… unusual, to say the least. One of them was swathed in vibrant wraps of cloth, while another was clad in a fortress of steel, and there was… a third? Nanika’s eyebrows raised slightly. She began to get the idea behind the ‘Neglected’ aspect to the judge’s name. Well, enough of that. It was time to get a look at who she’d be up against…

And it was… some edgy guy who hadn’t been out in the sun enough, a teenager that looked like he belonged more in some gaudy modelling studio, a man that looked more like a man-shaped sack of bricks, and some old guy that looks like he saw one too many Louisiana Jones films? Needless to say, Nanika wasn’t very impressed. She was undecided by which of them irritated her more, but settled on the feminine-looking boy.

”Your attempts at flirting are as weak as you look. And I don’t need anyone to let me win. If I am to win, I will do it fair and square by my own terms.”

Just as she was about to challenge him, Ninsar stepped up. Nanika was about to point out targeting weaker-looking enemies wasn’t honorable, but then realized Ninsar wasn’t much larger either, and this was probably the fairest fight for her. Alright, next choice, pale-teen.

”Not sure who you’re calling a lamb, but if you mean me, I think you’ll find I might be the one shearing you apart.”

Unsheathing her sword and swinging it around comfortably, she pointed it straight at him.

”Let us both hope you are more than just words!”

At Nanika’s beckoning, her opponent growled before seemingly leaping at her, disappearing. Yanking her scabbard up not a second too late, he slammed into it, pushing her back a step or two. Good thing she hadn’t been on the edge. What angered her though, was the fact he was biting the scabbard, as if his main intention was to bite her in the first place. Disgusting. Throwing her own body forward, she slammed her heels into his chest with explosive force, sending him reeling backwards to his own side. Flicking off the spittle, she glanced over her scabbard. Thankfully, it wasn’t marked with teeth. If some random edgy teen had damaged her scabbard, she would’ve been quite infuriated. Clasping her sheath back to its original place, she taunted him once again.

This time, when he made his powerful jump, Nanika could see it a little better, as if her eyes had grown sharper. Side-stepping partially, she spun around and rammed her leg into his side, before punching with smashing force into his ribs. He grunted as he skidded back, just barely ducking out of the way of her blade as it scythed down. It sliced through the ground without much effort, and Nanika whirled around, slashing in a mad flurry of attacks, forcing him to retreat under the barrage, as he suffered cuts and lacerations across his body. This was enough to send him escaping for his own allies once more, prompting Nanika to do the same and rejoin her teammates.

It seemed as if the preliminary clash had ended, and both sides were settling into the sensation of battle. Next to step up was the man with a chest of solid rock. Pointing at Warden, he spoke in a monotone, rocky voice.

“I will finish you. Come.”

”Not one to mince words, eh?” Looking at the axe-wielding man that had joined her team, Nanika nodded. ”Go for it.”

Taikyu nodded at the words that appeared on the newcomer's arm, interested in how En had done so. Hearing Lettess say something about turning in the number cards, he pulled out the '1' card he had been given earlier and also gave it to the pointed out boy with the tip of the strange orange appendage on his back, the whiparm...

"Taikyu uh...you don't mind telling me more about you and your kind? First time I see one of you, and I'm getting curious.

Also you spelled my name wrong, and Lettess sounded even more like a vegetable when you said his name."

...though he had admittedly not been expecting such questions and therefore had no real answers prepared for them.

"Um..." Taikyu thought at how to answer, scratching the top of his head with the tip of the whiparm in thought. "I...know not where to start..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taikyu's eyes were on the field the whole time, watching and studying what fighting styles he could from the multiple bipedal creatures that were present. By the time the four round was due to begin, he already had a few ideas as to how to deal with the crowd that may come for him and his allies.

"So you've come to face Kono Muscle-san!"

So fortunate that most of his foes are actually weighted heavily enough for one of his ideas. Muzzle pointed at the 'asian' man, he began growling before positioning himself in a way one would see a scorpion, the front low and the whiparm poised to strike with one of the pointed ends of the black metallic quaterstaff pointed at him. "I have a question for you, have you ever been to the Tenere Desert?"  At the momentary look of confusion Taikyu received, he lunged forward while dropping the staff, the air immediately around him super-heating itself as he did.

The whiparm immediately grabbed the asian man around the middle a few times. Though the man struggled against his sudden binding, Taikyu braced himself on all four paws before lifting him up and flat throwing him immediately out of the ring, causing him to land several feet outside of the line. Satisfied with himself, Taikyu turned around, picking up the staff and glanced around at the other three challengers. "Who is next?"

This firefox was not one to play around...

"I...know not where to start..."

"Ah...alright then. maybe we can do this later."

When she answered it however, Miaris' mind was completely somewhere else. The announcement of the team battle worried her a lot. Four on four, which would mean that her teammates would see just how much she sucked. And worse, firearms would lead to disqualification. It's as if the odds were intentionally stacked against her. Lettess seemed to be as eager as always, Taikyu would definitely be able to deal with battles with ease, and she had no doubt En would be able to hold off on his own. But, how the hell would she survive? All the thoughts came rushing to her head, and it's hard for her to focus at what to do now.

However, much to her relief, it's announced that her team would be fighting fourth. The mere fact she didn't have to fight earlier gave Miaris some relief. Maybe she could figure out some way to actually not be a deadweight for her team in that downtime.

The matches was currently being done, and Miaris felt like she had found a solution on how to trick the judges so she could still use firearms. It's all a matter of sleight of hand, as always. She could utilize Shu in such a way to silence the pistols and create an envelope of nen around her bullets to made it seem that they're simply emitted nen bullets. These bullets with increased penetration power would then home inside of her target, and then, she could just...

"Ah, it's our turn now." Miaris tried to sound confident when she said it, but she's far from being that way during the time. As much as she had found a way to do something, she still felt like a free point for the opposing team at best. What she hoped by then was that she could at the very least do something before she inevitably get knocked out.

And facing them was...a group of muscleheads. There goes any chance of her doing anything.

Oh well.

"Yeah...well...I'm the chef...and...and...Yeah I don't have a comeback prepared here!

I had three rounds to prepare and I still didn't come up with a comeback. Might as well serve my h...HA that's it!

I'm the chef and I'm going to serve you up a big plate of defeat!"

Hopefully their chance at winning would be better than the quality of that one-liner. At least the opposing ones were even worse.

"What do you think guys? Did it land? I think it landed well." Miaris, unsure on what to say, simply nodded her head in support while attempting to smile awkwardly. She looked at Taikyu and En to see if they could have anything to say that she could agree on, but the two were silent, busy with their own thoughts, probably thinking on ways to defeat the other side. Trying to break the awkward silence, Miaris attempted her own one-liner.

"Y-yeah! I'll send you all to the stars above with a bang!"

That was lame.

At least, she was saved from further embarrassment as the match soon started. She noticed the opposing blue ninja immediately launched an ice attack, but it exploded near En as his En blocked it. How convenient, and the two then busy dueling at high speed. Lettess in the meantime fought against the old pirate, and his speed...oh god his speed...it was ludicrous. How many time did he attacked? And the pirate managed to block them all. Before he would continue though, one of the muscleheads tackled him and sent him flying. Thankfully En caught him and sent him back to the arena before he could be considered as out.

Okay so I think we got a good idea what they can do now! I got the Buffalo man! I'm taking him down myself. Anyone else got any ideas?

RIght, plans.

"I'll go take the-"

But before she could finish, Taikyu had decided on his target. He went out and after momentarily confusing his target, he proceeded to heat the air (really uncomfortable) to lower the man's guard, and used his tail? or something and his four paws to throw the man barely outside. That was fast.

"Uh...if the one you said by buffalo is the chargey-chargey one...I guess I'm stuck with the sailor, huh? After all, En probably would pick the other ninja." Miaris let out a loud gulp. Those big swords look menacing. Maybe her best bet now is to try lasting as long as she could before Taikyu clean the field afterwards. Getting assist might not be too bad if that's the only thing you could do.

And so the girl prepared herself to have a go at the sailor now, broom and tricks on her hands. The sailor saw her, and started to laugh as he noticed her shaking while coming at him.

"It'd be best for younguns like you to just step back! This is the stage for adults, not you or that other kid!"

"...Yeah yeah. Let's just get on with this already." With a half-flat tone, Miaris replied.

"Don't blame me if yer getting cuts, kiddo!"

And thus, the sailor didn't waste any time to start attacking Miaris with a relentless chain of strikes from his two swords. The strikes were surprisingly readable - which allowed Miaris to barely dodge each of them at the cost of her coat being in tatters now, but the ferocity of the attacks kept her at her toes. The man had stamina to spare, and she couldn't dodge forever. It's a matter of time before she failed to read the movements of the swords, and get cleaved in two for her troubles. The sailor was definitely one hell of a swordmaster seeing his moves, but her Gyo-enhanced reflex and perception, even if it's just a minimal increase, allowed her to keep herself from being utterly defeated. It helped that the fact she only dodged so far made the sailor didn't have to bother to change his approach much.

"Til when ye'll keep on dancing, missy?"

"Just shut up!"

She kept on dodging the attack, and finally noticed an opening before her. Not wasting it, she rushed forward in a sudden dash, and placed her hands at the sailor's hands before triggering the pistols she hid on her sleeves. The sailor was startled by it, but regained enough focus to swipe and toss Miaris aside to the ground like a ragdoll. As she struggled in pain to get up, Miaris chose that moment to explode the bullet she fired. The sailor yelled in pain as his hands were now disabled permanently from wielding swords. However, the girl didn't get a moment to celebrate as the sailor charged at her in fury, smacking her around mercilessly with the stumps on his arms. Miaris gritted her teeth as she tried her best to stand her ground, withstanding each hits one by one.

"How dare you...I'll funking kill you now wench!" The sailor roared.

Each direct hits made the girl dizzier and dizzier. She didn't even get the chance to counterattack now. She managed to stand steadfastly on her position, but what's good will it do her if she's soon going to be defeated. A hit to the face. A jab to the stomach. Miaris coughed blood, her sight started to be unfocused. She could see...the ninja continuing his attack on En, and she could also see the disqualified musclehead on the sidelines, yelling tgo encourage the sailor as he continued to beat her up. Where's Lettess and Taikyu? She didn't see them.

Her broom.

She realized that her broom was not too far away from her. It's her last chance. As the sailor attacked again, Miaris ducked to avoid it, before rolling to the side to grab the broom. She could still see the sailor coming at her barely. One chance. Putting all of her into this one chance, she activated Ko to put every single drop of her Nen into her right hand, and when the sailor came at her, she jousted the handle of the broom upwards - right to his eyesocket. The force of the strike amplified by her use of Ko managed to plant it deep there, and wasting no time, Miaris pulled the trigger. Still in a state of panic and desperation, she pulled the broom and jabbed it in another position before unloading her shotgun ammunition from it inside of the sailor - and soon let it all explode.

And then everything was quiet for Miaris. Even as gravity pulled the body to fall near her, she couldn't hear anything. It wasn't real. It didn't feel real at all. And before she could think about what she just did more, the Buffalo, who obviously saw what happened, charged towards her, and tossed her out of the arena to a nearby wall where she fell unconscious instantly.

x393wz.jpg

ULXKCSD.png

x393wz.jpg

Once the proctor got things moving boy did things really fly. The participants were escorted out of the room to some huge arena. There were people all over the place looking on and cheering, making all sorts of noises. There were lots of lights too, more than Aduain liked. His team was up for the second fight and the wait was almost unbearable for him as he wanted to get going. Finally as the first round was wrapped up Aduain picked up his trident, set his bag down somewhere safe and eagerly took to the arena with his team. They were supposed to knock their opponents out of bounds to win. seemed simple enough. Some of their opponents didn't seem to think to highly of them but Aduain was too excited to care. He was continuously almost hopping from foot to foot ready to take off at a moments notice.

Ivory quickly got off to fighting with the girl with black and white hair and fights quickly broke out between Render and Emui and Jacklyn and Sela. This left Aduain the girl who was hanging to the back with a shield out and readied. If there was one thing Aduain was good at it was slipping in and out of tight spots. Getting to the back lines and taking out this Piper girl who seemed more intent on providing support would be a breeze and it would make the other fights easier for his teammates to focus on.

Aduain took off at a sprint, his focus on the fight steadying his feet, and he moved surprisingly fast despite being more built for water. Emui was busy dashing at her opponent and as Aduain's path was about to cross hers he quickly planted his trident in the ground spears down and pole vaulted over her and a few feet into the air. Readjusting quickly he grabbed hold of the trident with both hands and prepared to bring it down on top of Piper as he landed.

~

Jezel was really raring to go now. This fish thing she was fighting was tough for sure. But everything melted at some point, even those gauntlets. The flames around her arms flared up in response and seemed to be burning practically white hot at this point. Quickly kneeling down she punched the floor sending a few waves of fire erupting toward Ivory. Then she lunged forward readying her left arm for an explosive punch. As she moved she was practically flying through the waves she had just sent out.

"How hot can you take it?!" she called out, her voice blending into the sound of the crackle and hiss of her flames.

x393wz.jpg

4Pq1E1b.jpg

x393wz.jpg

Time had been of the essence after all in forming and reporting the teams to the proctors of the exam. It wasn't long before it was announced all those who had yet to report had already failed. A complaint was raised which ended rather poorly for the man who had voiced it. Looking back at the proctor Xiu caught a glimpse of a bloody knife yet the man hadn't moved or thrown anything. An intriguing ability to be sure. She thought about it for quite a while until things moved on with the exam. Something about a show or entertainment, for who Xiu didn't particularly care. Very quickly she was standing alongside her newly formed team staring down another team of four in an arena of sorts.

The sound to start the fight came and Arash quickly took off toward one of their opponents while Cammie was shot at. Xiu had been suppressing her nen with the zetsu technique until right before the match was started. Now her nen was flowing around her body normally as she prepared to fight. She readied her wooden staff and very quickly found herself the target of an attack. The girl Hyun seemed to have made a double of herself and both were charging in fast. A fascinating nen technique as they tended to be. Attacks from two angles a mace in the hands of the original and a dagger in the hands of the double. Raising her staff outward and up to about eye level Xiu readied her defense. In a flash the ends of the staff appeared to be covered in metal and two distinct metallic clangs rang out as the perfectly synchronized attacks clashed with the ends of the staff.

"Thank you for being so quick to show me your hatsu." Xiu said with a smile as she continued to hold back the two attacks. Shifting her weight to her right leg and her nen to her left she swiftly delivered a strong kick to Hyun's diaphragm then using the newly freed end of her staff delivered a quick strike to the double's face with the metal tipped end of the staff. She then shuffled back a step or two to ready herself for what Hyun might do next.

~

The last member of the opposing team, Rashad remained rather calm while the others began the match and soon turned his attention to Tinman. He bore no weapon and at least physically seemed the most impressive of their opponents. Not that that would do him any good. Physical strength meant nothing in the face of Rashad's power. A cold air began to form around Rashad both literally and figuratively as he began drawing in the surrounding heat in the air with his power. Nothing too major for now. No reason to alert his opponents. He began calmly walking toward Tinman as he readjusted the sunglasses on his face.

"Let's not keep the others waiting." he said as he took a bit of a fighting stance. His eyes were fixed on Tinman trying to read all he could from his body language. Still not seeing anything that impressed him he began charging at Tinman, preparing a simple punch with his right hand. But whether it was blocked or landed he was ready to sap all the heat out of whatever he hit.

x393wz.jpg

Tinman stood wide-eyed and mouth gaping, as at the drop of a hat, Arash, his androgynous feline compatriot, engaged in a high-speed duel with youngest of their opponents. “Insane…” he muttered as the boy accelerated at inhuman speeds to Arash but his counter flawless. Tinman was wondering if he undersized his allies and he watched in horror as the two exchanged blows in a physical contest of speed. There was always something about talent that could surprise people, but being so desperately wrong about his allies…

A flash of light streaked across his vision as a beam of light, the red bird was dodging a frenzy of beam-like attacks from the leader who was maintaining a safe distance. The bird was holding himself well too, what nonsense was this? The leader frightened Tinman somewhat, his attacks were plain and safe, he was waiting for an opportunity and taking advantage of the distance to dodge Cammie’s ranged blows as well. It was seeming each of his allies were being paired with their similar fighter. Xiu had already begun to engage fighting as well, she seemed to be a fighter of significant technical prowess, or at least she had to be to be keeping two opponents at ba- a kick, right into one of the double’s abdomen- and a follow up strike. Impressive skills to say the least, her opponent was clearly trained but it didn’t seem to matter…

x393wz.jpg

Distracted, Tinman didn’t see as Rashad, the last of the opposing team, was walking up to him. He wasn’t a particularly intimidating man, but he was cloaked in winter clothing and bearing goggles. Why in the heck would a man need goggles- in a sprint, Rashad closed the distance between them, even as a the least physical, he possess a similar speed to his allies. Rashad swiped down his hand, leaving a trail of chilled air. Tinman managed to stumble backwards enough to avoid it, but it the first of maybe. His opponent’s power relied on physical contact obviously, but he already felt the chill give him goosebumps. Tinman landed his hand on Rashad’s shoulder to grip him into an attack but his hand recoiled at the blistering cold of his body. ‘If I just keep the distance, I c-’

Tinman yelped in pain as Rashad’s hand made contact with Tinman’s thigh during his backstep. In an instant, ice crystals formed over his trousers and cold like a burn emitted from his leg. In instinctive rage, Tinman stopped his retreat and threw a haymaker towards Rashad’s head. It was sloppy, Rashad easily ducked and raised his palm smashing it into Tinman’s chest and the cold turned into a searing sensation, “The volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature.”

“The f-” a burst struck Tinman sending him propelled backward like he was hit by a motorcycle. His landing was less than graceful as he rolled sideways, barely managing enough of a recovery to brace himself to fight again. ‘What a load of s***,’ Tinman thought, this is his worst opponent. Tinman’s hand-to-hand combat requires submission throws and grapples, but against an opponent impossible to touch… what can he do… His leg was already too useless to run faster than him, he’d have to change to a different style.

Rashad approached again, Tinman sidestepped and took advantage of their size difference. TInman flung out his arm and kicked out his leg, tossing Rashad off-balance easily enough. The cold was still present but if he avoiding maintained contact, it was bearable. Tinman cocked back his fist and slammed down into his now defenseless opponent’s stomach. The cold sunk into the joints of his fist, but he managed some damage on the man. Rashad recovered, grabbed at Tinman’s ankle while he was on the ground, the searing sensation from before was now an intense heat that forced Tinman backwards. He maintained a defensive stance as Rashad got back to his feet. He couldn’t beat an opponent like this easily, he cried out, “When one of you got a second, I could use a hand!”

“You jabroni.” Leon growled. “I won’t let you get away with it, I’ve got to much riding o...” Arash shut him up with a punch to the jaw, which staggered the boy. “Oh, shut up.” Arash growled, stepping forward and bringing his knee up into Leon’s gut, before slamming an elbow into the side of his head. Not stopping there, Arash unleashed a strong kick to the side, and Arash heard a rib crack. He had to keep up the pressure, not allow Leon to get any momentum, that was the key to victory. And to do that, he’d have to be ferocious.
Arash could totally do ferocious.

Several kicks, combined with a few lighter punches to keep him off-balanced, Arash forced the boy closer to the edge. Arash could see the anger, the determination, the panic, in his face. But all Leon could see in Arash’s was...a predatory glint.
Getting nearer to the edge of the arena, Arash suddenly lifted his leg and slammed his foot down on Leon’s knee. There was a cracking sound and the boy cried out in pain. Arash took a couple steps back, but not to give mercy, he was past that now.
“Even if you scream at the top of your lungs, there is no surrender for trash like you.” Arash took a running jump and drop-kicked Leon in the chest, sending him flying off of the arena.

Arash landed with a roll, springing back to his feet before glancing around the arena.
Xiu...sheet, she was doing...well. Like, really well. She really knew her way around that staff. Arash hadn’t seen enough to be impressed but it was quite something.
Meanwhile...birdboy was...was he in danger? It was really, really hard to tell. He was dodging the attacks, and was singing so clearly he wasn’t worried but...eh, funk it, he had to let the kid show some moves.
But that one. The snake. Arash knew it was a mistake bringing him here. He was getting his ass handed to him. Arash rolled his shoulders and sighed. Having that guy in the arena would at least give the other’s a target, take the pressure off. So...might as well help.

Arash made his way back across the battlefield as Rashad bore down upon Tinman, seemingly certain in an easy victory, the man didn’t expect to get yanked around and uppercutted by a cat-boy.

Arash shook his hand and cringed, that stung like hell! No wonder he usually fought with his legs. “Hey loser, not you frosty, well you’re a loser too but funk you. Loser, you better step up your game cause I won’t bother with your sorry ass like this often.”

“Tch, that was a nice sucker punch pussy cat. But let’s see if you can stand the heat.” He unleashed a burst of flames suddenly, scourching towards Arash, who braced himself for the attack.
He hadn’t wanted to do this so early, but if they were using Nen... Arash threw up a barrier in front of him, letting it take the hit, slowing it and allowing Arash to roll out of the way before releasing the barrier so it didn’t shatter on him.
Panting with the exertion, Arash sneered at Rashad. “I’ve felt more heat when cooking my lunch.”

Warden was surprised at the efficiency of the Hunter Exam.  Within an hour of his arrival, he had grouped with three others, and had already been thrown into a massive fighting ring cluttered with many others.  But before he could truly take in the awe of the arena, he was thrust into a battle against four unidentified entities.  A large man clad in black leather and shades approached him, sticking out his chest.

“I will finish you. Come.”

Warden looked around, before turning his head back to the one who'd challenged him.  Pointing a finger at his own chest, he made a questionable gesture, as he raised an eyebrow and pointed to himself.

”Go for it.” 

Warden shrugged, as Nanika addressed him.  It couldn't be all bad, could it?

He stretched out a hand to his opponent, offering a handshake.  Warden was promptly snatched by his arm, and flipped over onto his back, with a resounding smack.  Rubbing his back, Warden sat up straight, climbing to his feet as he picked up his axe.  "Well.  That was rude," he said turning around.  Warden was greeted with an elbow, but he caught the attack, causing his opponent to turn around as he attempted to continue his assault.

Warden ducked the incoming punch, driving a knee into the enemy's stomach.  As his opponent reeled just a bit, Warden brought the blunt side of his axe's blade down on the large man's head, smacking him flat into the arena mat, leaving a large gash in his forehead.  The leather bandit rolled, swiping his legs at Warden's and causing him to trip.  Warden quickly rolled over, and snatched up his axe as he flipped forwards out of the enemy's reach.  He struck quickly, with a two handed low strike at an upwards angle, in an attempt to cleave the enemy in half.  The large man responded quickly, by catching Warden's axe with both of his hands.

They proceeded to struggle with one another, attempting to yank the blade out of their opponent's hands.  Warden eventually got the upper hand, wrenching the blade away from the opponent.  He stumbled back quite a bit, as his blade was let go forcefully.  In the momentum, Warden's opponent dashed over to his side, and jumped into the air over Warden.  He brought down another elbow, but Warden was once again prepared.  Warden kicked backwards, speeding up his stumble and falling purposely on his back, and rolling up right.  When the enemy moved to get to their feet, Warden replied with a blunt axe handle to the stomach.  The leather man groaned, as he grabbed his stomach.  But Warden didn't let up.  Warden continued his blunt assault, jamming the axe handle into his opponent's knee with all of his might.  The man cried out in pain, before toppling over backwards.

Before he could react again, Warden was standing above his opponent, axe to the enemy's throat.  "It's over," he said plainly.

The man struggled, rolling left and right, but Warden had pinned him with a heavy boot to his heavily damaged knee.  But Warden wasn't satisfied.  He shoved the blade closer to his opponent's neck, as he honed his eyes on the man's black shades.  "Move again," he whispered.  "dare you."

But this man was not afraid of death.  He once more tried to wrench free, but was promptly met with the broad side of Warden's axe to his forehead, knocking him out unconscious as the gash on his head deepened.

WYqmEKA.png

Cammie's laughing only got louder the more blasts that he managed to avoid from the leader of the enemy team. Being his size has some advantages, the most noticeable of which is that nobody ever seems to adjust their aim for it. Sadly, once people realize this, Cammie has to start being a little more careful, and this time, he wasn't careful enough. As he executed a midair dodge, the opposing team's leader finally managed to land a hit on his right wing. It was only a graze, but it caught Cammie by surprise, causing the small boy to land down on the ground quickly, "Urf... Fine! That song not good enough for you?! I have a perfect one in mind!"

Cammie brought his hands to the earbuds he had been wearing earlier, cranking up the volume. It didn't take long for the music to start up once again, this time echoing throughout the arena as the

"Travelling through space and time..."

Cammie lunged forward towards his opponent, watching the leader's hands as he prepared enough blast of light. The bird's eyes widening as he ducked down, the blast of light soaring over his head as he slid towards the older man, "Everything's about to go down!"

Cammie jumped up into the air again, his cello's bow in his right hand as he brought the blunt end of it against the older man's shoulder. He made a direct hit, landing his first blow of the fight as the team leader stumbled backwards, "Urgh, kid... You have no idea what you're dealing with!"

"Even if I told you that you'll have a really bad tiiiime?~"

Cammie prepared his stance again, holding out his sword as he looked directly at the enemy. His wings stretched as he laughed a little bit, watching as the leader prepared a spread attack of light. Numerous small orbs began to launch towards the small bird as he held his weapon into the air, "Why'd you gotta play this trick?~ God, I am so freak-in' sick of you!~"

He waited as the blasts of light approached him, then brought his sword into a wide slash, hitting all of them with the blunt edge of his weapon. A two of the blasts rocketed away into the sky, one of them launched towards the frosty hothead that Arash and Tinman was currently fighting, while the last two were deflected back at Hikariganai himself! The man seemed to flinch a bit as his aura began to surround himself, causing him to turn invisible as he dodged out of the way of the attack. He remained invisible as he planned the best way to continue his assault. Cammie, however, wasn't having it. He quickly drew his crossbow once again, and began to fire bolts evenly distanced apart from one another as he searched for the man, "Stop pretending that you don't know what you're doing heeeereee!~"

Hikariganai only managed to narrowly avoid the bolt that grazed his sleeve. It cut into his flesh, causing a small spurt of blood to fall to the ground, which Cammie promptly picked up on as he laughed and resumed his charge, "Why are you here anyways?~ Did you plan this for a long time?~"

He brings the sword down quickly once more, trying to land another hit on the man's shoulder. Hikariganai was prepared and held out his hand, a sheet of light appearing and blocking the strike. Cammie pouts a little bit at the easy that the man managed to block the blow, but he jumped back and held his sword out, his voice ringing clear as he sang once again, "Killing every single soul here?!~ Don't you feel kinda bad?~"

Cammie prepared to charge once again, but the older man beat him to it this time. He rushed towards Cammie with his right hand outstretched, a large orb of light in the center of it. Cammie's eyes widened as he hefted his crossbow up once again, shooting a single bolt directly at the orb of light... And he hit. The bolt drove through the orb, causing a large blast of light to explode through the arena for a moment as the bolt dug into the palm of Hikariganai's hand. The blast knocked both Cammie and the enemy leader back, though neither of them landed out of the ring. The both stumbled, the force of the blast bending one of Cammie's wings to a rather... Ugly angle, while the bolt seemed to have lodged itself firmly in Hikariganai's hand, blood trickling out of the wound.

"Huff... O-Oh yeah, you're so innocent... Imma show you what no mercy is!"

Cammie hefted up his crossbow again, this time aiming for Hikariganai's left hand as he let another bolt fly towards the man. The team leader dodged as he prepared another laser blast to shoot towards Cammie, but this one seemed... Shaky. Cammie ducked to the side as the leader's laser wobbled from side to side, a smirk on his face as he holds his sword into the air once again, a hand on his hip as he poses dramatically for the audience, "Hopefully you'll burn in hell and can't ever come back!"

With that, Cammie launched forward again, his charge not as fast as Arash's, but every bit of heated as he brought his sword in a horizontal slice. The sheet of light that blocked his earlier attack reappeared as he glared at Hikariganai's face, the two of them locked together, neither one wanting to make the first step away, "Is kiiiilling everybody reaaally oh so goood...? I can't understand you, well I don't want toooo..."

He closes his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath as he brings his cello in for a hard smack across Hikariganai's right leg, causing the man to howl in pain as the bones in his lower leg broke. He growled as he prepared a bright flash of light, his final trick. The light surrounding him began to glow brighter...

"Couldn't you just leave us all in peace down here...? Imma dunk you so hard so you'll die down here...!"

Cammie growled as he launched forward, his eyes shut tight as he took one final lunge towards his opponent. He grabbed the older male and brought him down over the line, only able to topple him thanks to the damage done to his leg. The two of them fell down over the line, resulting in a double ring-out for the two. Hikariganai's attack began to fade from the surprise of the brute force attack, the blinding light dying down as he realizes that he was thrown out of the ring.

---

Hyun's eyes widening with surprise as Xui's staff seemed to block her weapons, a small snarl escaping the girl as she jumps back, but not quick enough. She managed to get the kick off on the original, a loud cough escaping her as she frowned, "Here we go."

Her double disappeared for a moment, before reforming behind Xui. As the green-haired girl took her stance, the cloned double began to rush her from behind. The original charged towards her from the front, ducking under the staff for a moment as she swung her dagger down, trying to jab at Xui's stomach. While the original began that attack, the clone began to swing the mace up towards her head, hoping to land a direct blow to end this sooner, "You can't keep this up forever, it's two-on-one!"

FZPMbmt.png

Amber let out a loud laugh as she pushed her hands out once more, forcing the wall of flames that had been shot towards her to separate. 

Amber, let me take over now!

Spinal waited as Jezel began to lunge towards her, covered in the remaining cloak of flames as she hums gently. She taps her foot softly as she turned her body enough to avoid the explosive punch. The blast went off and threw Spinal off the side, but she steadied herself as she landed on both feet. While Jezel was busy getting her stance back into place, Spinal charged forward and brought her left hand into a quick jab, hitting Jezel right in the side. The girl's eyes widened as she felt the jab make contact, a small growl escaping her as she stepped back and looked towards the shark. "Oh no... You aren't gonna get away with that...!" 

Jezel's hands lit with flames once more as she charged forward again, leading with a quick punch with her right hand. Spinal met her charge halfway, her left hand thrusting against the punch and meeting it halfway. The searing flames caused Spinal to flinch, but the impact of the blow would affect Jezel more. 

Got a plan, Spinal? Maybe we should work together here.

...I wanted this to be quick...

The two of them began to focus, their body swaying along to some unheard music as they started to dodge blow after blow from Jezel. The flames from the girl began to surround the duo, leaving them trapped in their own ring of fire as Ivory smirked a little bit. Each failed punch seemed to infuriate Jezel more and more, while Ivory just kept avoiding her blows. "You... What are you doing?! We're supposed to be fighting!"

Ivory didn't bother to respond as she winked at Jezel again, blowing the angry girl a kiss as she laughs. She ducks down under another punch, the blast of fire from it shooting over her head as she sees her opening. She swirls around onto her hands, her tail sweeping underneath Jezel's legs to try and knock the girl down. She held herself up on her hands as her leg shot up to kick at one of the girl's arms, hitting it directly as she winces and falls down to the ground. Ivory landed back on her feet as she leaned down and looked at the girl, "We are fighting, dear.~"

---

Render seemed to grin softly as he watched the catgirl get hit by one of his bullets. He didn't relent his attack as she charged directly at him, instead he seemed to take more care in his aim. Many of his shots seemed to barely miss her head as he tried to put a single shot to end the fight. The closer she got to him, the more he seemed to start panicking though. He forced himself to calm down as he fell back besides Piper...

Piper glanced around nervously on the battlefield, her eyes widening as she shakes her head. Everything was starting to go wrong, the other team was way stronger than they looked. That sharkgirl already managed to knock Jezel off her feet, the one girl was throwing cats at Render, and the catgirl was avoiding all of the shots that she had Render send out. Even worse, she looked like she still had free reign to move around as she wanted to, it's like her strategy wasn't working at all!

She took a deep breath as she closed her eyes, trying to get a gauge on what to do at this point. She needed to get Jezel some help, but Render was occupied, and their leader was clashing with the pink-haired girl. Now that render was falling back with her though...

She brought out her shield once again as Emui charged at her partner, using her shield to block the catgirl's advance. While Piper did this, she took the ball of yarn in her hand and waved it around at Emui, "Hey, kitty kitty! Don'tcha want this?!" Stupid shield...

While Piper switched out on the catgirl, Render noticed the small fish that was charging at the two of them. He frowned as the fish jumped up into the air, and prepared a single bullet to launch up towards him. It flew towards Aduain, not hitting the fish himself, but the trident that was coming down to hit the duo! It didn't do much but Aduain a little bit off course, causing him to land down a bit further away from Render as he prepared another few bullets, sending them all at once towards the fish.

x393wz.jpg

4Pq1E1b.jpg

x393wz.jpg

Hyun's reactions were quick and despite the blow to her abdomen got back into things quickly. Xiu quickly gathered she was being attacked from the front and behind this time. It was going to be close. The dagger inching in toward her stomach, a mace ready to hit the back of her head. With the split second available to her Xiu concentrated her nen using the ren technique, a noticeable disturbance appeared in the air around her for a moment. Focusing to her feet she twisted and jumped into the air though not before hyun's dagger dug into her side some. A blood stain was quickly forming near the wound on her plain white shirt but despite the pain Xiu was focused on the task at hand.

"How did she-" Hyun started as her double came to an abrupt stop to avoid colliding with the original. Xiu landed gracefully a few feet away from both. Hyun smirked at the sight of blood on her, figuring she was gaining the upper hand. Hyun and her double wasted no time both charging Xiu once again but halted briefly at the sight of the entirety of her staff glowing. The lights were glimmering on the surface of the wooden staff almost as though it were a disturbed body of water. Hyun felt something of a breeze past by her then looked in horror to see her double impaled through the chest with a spear.

"That's impossible!" she started and jumped back as her double faded. There stood Xiu but the spear tip was missing again. Just the shimmering lights. But how had she moved so fast and where was the weapon that had pierced through the double?

"Hmmm... just my luck I lost track of which one was you during all that. No matter. I've seen enough of your hatsu to know how to fight it." Xiu said as she pointed her staff at Hyun, almost like it were a spear. "I'm in a spear mood today aren't I? I love spear moods." she continued seeming almost completely unfocused. Hyun took the opportunity to form a new double and rush just the double at her opponent. Just as it was ready to hit Xiu with both weapons at once a flash of light and some strange piece of glass appeared in front of Xiu. Hyun saw the double's weapons connect with Xiu but do nothing more than tear up her clothing some. The double seemed almost transparent now as the floating glass disappeared.

"It was entirely made of nen just as I thought." Xiu said almost as though examining the double. Looking around the arena she took note of the rest of the fight. Arash had dispatched his opponent and gone to Tinman's aid and just as she looked Cammie took his opponent out with him. "Well that's two to one now in our favor. I should really make it three to one already." she mused aloud a serious look returning to her face along with her focus. The disturbances on the surface of the staff increased again and Xiu charged in at Hyun who readied both her weapons to defend against the incoming spear attack no doubt. As Xiu closed in she simply attempted to strike Hyun with her staff. Hyun's mace was sufficient to parry the blow. Again a metallic ring sounded at the contact. Hyun swung her dagger at Xiu's right arm, drawing some more blood as Xiu backed off.

The two women traded blows a few more times, Xiu's staff occasionally striking at Hyun's legs, no doubt leaving large bruises while Hyun would occasionally get a cut or two in with her dagger. Finally feeling ready to take the offensive again Hyun charged in and lunged out with her dagger looking to stab Xiu in the chest. Xiu's staff couldn't move in time to guard it. Just at the tip began to pierce flesh the dagger went flying from her hands and to her amazement saw what looked like a metallic fist extending from the side of the staff in Xiu's hands. Before long it disappeared. Taking advantage of Hyun's surprise Xiu struck her right arm with her staff causing her to drop her mace. Then a large hammer head took shape at the top of Xiu's staff.

"Suppose I wasn't in a spear mood today." She said almost surprised as she swung away driving the hammer into Hyun's sternum. The force of the blow sent Hyun flying off her feet out of bounds of the arena. From what Xiu could tell she wasn't unconscious but wouldn't be moving for a while. And just like that she'd made it through a fight in the Hunter Exam. Her peers were definitely living up to expectations. Taking a quick count Xiu found roughly seven cuts of varying severity. Her nen relaxed as she took a deep breath and a moment to make sure everything was alright. She turned her attention to the last part of the fight. It would be three on one now, but Xiu had hopes she wouldn't be needed for it. The cuts aside using as much nen as she did was giving fatigue a chance to settle in.

~

Rashad hadn't counted on his his flames being blocked, much less by a shield made of nen. But that had to be what it was. Still it seemed to really drain the cat of his strength, something he wouldn't let go to waste. Having used up the heat he'd gathered Rashad shifted to gathering more from the surrounding air. The temperature began dropping noticeably around him once more. Just as he'd gotten to Tinman with the cold he could take this cat. But the cat was fast, probably too fast for him. But there was someone who wasn't.

Rashad charged at Tinman counting on his teammate interrupting again. The moment the cat touched him to keep him off of Tinman he'd have him trapped and drain all the heat out of his body.

x393wz.jpg

ULXKCSD.png

x393wz.jpg

Aduain's jump had gone off without a hitch and he would later pride himself in doing it so well under the pressure of the situation. That was until something knocked him off course. A small black sphere collided with his trident and whatever it was it was packing a lot of force behind it. With his course altered he landed past the girl with the shield who appeared to be moving off to focus on Emui. He wasn't about to let her run off on him but at that moment felt several very painful impacts on his left side leg and arm. His skin was tough enough he wasn't bleeding but the sheer blunt force was incredible. Aduain let out a scream from the pain in his left elbow in particular. The impact had dislocated the joint leaving him unable to move the arm without really hurting himself. Focusing back to the source of the shots Aduain saw Render who was preparing another volley of his projectiles. The young fish began a charge at his attacker, ready to dodge the attacks this time. His opponent said nothing and even made no other noises.

Still quick on his feet, Aduain managed to dodge the first few but was soon hit directly in the gut and knocked back a good distance. The effort was repeated one or two more times with similar results.

"I can't get to him just by running, but I need both hands to really get hopping around..." Aduain thought, his left arm still unresponsive. He could tell something wasn't quite right with the bones in it. Render seemed more than content to keep his distance and wear him down with the projectiles. Aduain still had no idea what they were he just knew that they moved fast and hit hard. He had a bit of an idea at this point, probably not the best but it was worth a shot. He charged in again and Render quickly responded with another barrage. Instead of jumping to the side Aduain let out another scream as he lifted his left arm with his right hand and took the shot to the palm of his hand which sent him back aways again. He heard an almost grotesque pop but sure enough his arm was responsive again. Grabbing hold of the trident with both hands now he made one more charge. This time the barrage came as usual but once again Aduain used his weapon to launch himself into the air. Render quickly shifted focus to his airborn target.

"Ha ha!" Aduain cried out as he landed close by Render and began jabbing at him with his trident. Render was quick and kept pace with Aduain's thrusts. Render tried a short range blast of his spheres but saw nothing but a pole in front of him as he did. The trident was planted in the ground with Aduain balancing himself on the top. Swinging around the pole Aduain put all of his weight into kicking Render in the face. While an impressive blow and one Render hadn't counted on receiving, all of Aduain's weight wasn't saying much. Render was quick to return fire and the incoming shots knocked Aduain's weapon out from under him and back towards the edge of the arena. While he would have taken a moment to take in the bruise to his tailbone that was now surely developing from the landing, Aduain had to move fast to retrieve his weapon and avoid the incoming shots. They had increased in density as no doubt Render didn't intend to let a repeat performance occur.

"Doesn't he ever run out of those things?!" Aduain said aloud as he finally retrieved his weapon after nearly being knocked out of the arena a few times. Knowing running in wouldn't work he prepared to launch himself again into the air. As he did so he noticed a distinct lack of projectiles where he would have been. Render had anticipated the strategy and instead fired to meet Aduain at the height of his jump. Aduain had one idea left. It was some he occasionally did hunting larger fish underwater, air couldn't be that much different right? Aduain braced himself and guarded his face with his arms as the initial barrage came in, his own momentum still in tact. Holding the trident back with his right arm he hurled it as hard as he could manage in Renders direction. Render himself had just fired another round at Aduain and couldn't react in time. The three prongs of the trident plunged deep into his gut, the impact startled him but still not a single sound escaped his mouth.

Aduain saw his weapon find its mark but not for long as Render's last round came flying in at him. Battered and tired there wasn't much he could do and the shots hit him square on, knocking him just out of bounds of the arena. He landed rather roughly face down on the floor. He didn't feel like moving much, he'd taken quite the beating for that. Managing to move his head up enough he looked over to Render who remained in place still very much inside the ring. Render was in a lot of pain but wouldn't show it to anyone. Unable to move from the shock of hit he fell to his knees but was still very much conscious and in the arena. He was smart and didn't attempt to remove the weapon lodged in his innards knowing it was the only thing keeping him from bleeding out. He would stand his ground as long as he could but as he was there wasn't much more he was going to be able to do. Aduain was mad at himself for not decisively defeating his opponent and getting himself knocked out of the fight but there wasn't anything he could do about it. He just had to hope Ivory Emui and Sela would be able to finish up without him.

~

Jacklyn's opponent hadn't so much as tried to attack her yet. Past intervening to protect the cat girl she hadn't done a whole lot other than take punches. She might have begun to question her why but then Jacklyn's opponents had a funny way of not being able to hear her when she spoke to them. Still, why her opponent seemed to be biding her time had her concerned. Not wishing to give her an opening, Jacklyn increased the intensity of her punches, pushing out more nen with each blow. As the attacks were continually guarded against or simply taken she started emitting sound waves with each strike, hoping to overwhelm Sela either by force or by injuring her ears beyond any hope of recovery.

x393wz.jpg

“I’ve felt more heat when cooking my lunch,” spouted Arash trash talking the goggled boy.

Rashad was angered that was interrupted by Arash, it gave Tinman time to recover; by it was clear Arash wasn’t going to take the fight. Tinman wondered if Arash would refuse to continue out of principle, or didn’t want to continue physical combat with Rashad’s icy personality. Tinman chuckled at his thoughts, but it came out as a cough since his chest was already damaged to some extent. Rashard charged Tinman but was interrupted as he dodged a stray bolt from the Canary V.S. Supervillain fight. He was growing eager to end Tinman quick.

Rashad’s eyes were lit ablaze, his anger was building and the cold was too harsh. He was clearly frustrated of being interrupted from his match when he was leading with advantage but Tinman was once again on the defensive.

Tinman collapsed on his weak leg, Arash was watching from a safe distance, the prick. No, that’s wrong, he helps momentarily, that’s… enough. The mix of burns and borderline frostbite was taking his toll on Tinman’s body, he couldn’t move quick enough, or hit hard enough to end the match faster than Rashad could finish him off. Tinman’s eyes could see the nen of Rashad, walking menacingly towards Tinman with half an eye on Arash. He would get paired with literally his worst match-up the first day, must be karma.

x393wz.jpg

Tinman raised himself barely back to two feet, he thought of a gambit, one f***ing hell of a gambit at that. His vision was already blurring, his brain was already gating the pain from his different wounds, not exactly a good sign. Tinman’s past is sometimes obscure even to himself but there is one memory that was scorched into the back of his head that might do well here. Tinman bit the inside of his lip until it began bleeding slightly in his mouth and glared at Rashad. Pushing off his right leg, Tinman charged Rashad. Rashad’s eyes widened in surprise, “You lost your mind!?” Rashad was not so inexperienced to lose composure, he prepared a counter. Tinman fell straight into Rashad, who smashed his palm into Tinman’s chest once more, the familiar pain was hard to tell whether it was heat or cold anymore. It was only momentary, Tinman reached out and clutched Rashad by his coat, yanking him forward with all his might. Rashad was smaller than Tinman and came easily, losing balance.

Tinman gaped open his mouth and grasping Rashad by his chest, lowered his head and sank his teeth into Rashad’s neck. “The f***! Get o-” Rashad screamed struggling by releasing a whirlwind of frigid colds and inferno-heats scarring Tinman. Quickly, Rashad’s words stopped and turned to just screaming. Tinman was forcibly connecting himself to Rashad’s blood, and allowing the parasite within Tinman access to his nen.

“GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!,” Rashad yelped.

Teeth drawing blood from Rashad’s neck, his screams were of agony and mindless pain, while his nen abilities turned from desperate defense to outright berserk as he was losing control. Tinman has lived so long that he can’t remember so much as the century he was born but the earliest memory that never left him was the excruciating pain when the cursed parasite burrowed deep into his bloodstream, leaving him paralyzed with indescribable pain for weeks as it integrated into his body and nen. By drawing Rashad’s blood and connecting it to his, the parasite can’t leave Tinman but it will instinctively claw at Rashad’s nen internally, that’s a pain no one has trained to tolerate, like forcing your heart to beat. Like Tinman’s experience ages ago, even such a small connection would be intolerable to the point of medical shock. That’s exactly what happened.

Tinman broke off his bite of Rashad once the boy went limp in Tinman’s clutches. What a f***ing ungraceful way to win. The boy fainted luckily, death is an extremely unlikely possibility for someone physically able. Tinman could barely hold Rashad’s unconscious body up, his own pain was substantial. The burns and the small amounts of dead skin from the cold would heal with time, but he’d have to do something before the next match if he hoped to fight at a good fraction of his original strength. He laid Rashad gently on the ground, before limping towards Arash standing not too far. “It’s never pretty…” he muttered to Arash.

He was the last to be done, embarrassingly enough. Arash finished quickly, not surprising given of what Tinman had seen. Xiu was absently-mindedly enjoying herself in someway, it was clear she was barely wounded from her fight; and Cammie had a draw in her solo-match, they managed to ring out. ‘Hikariganai kept up with that,’ he thought, suddenly Tinman felt even fortunate to have been forced to fight Rashad less he’d have fought the monster that kept up with his bird friend. He looked up at the judges, who were watching with different expressions, one focused, one bored, and… the third judge is gone. Anyways, it was nearly a rout; surely they got to progress to the next round.

One, two, three, four, a hundred, Sela had somewhat lost track on how many punches did she take. Perhaps she had moved an inch or two, but it's still far from the edge of the arena. She didn't try to do any counter-attacks, simply attempting to use her Nen to withstand the attacks better. Did it hurt her, taking as many punches like that? Of course. She liked the pain. The pain of being beaten down mercilessly, the pain of having her body put through a grinder. Relishing in all the sensation she felt, Sela moaned openly, disturbing Jacklyn enough to stop her chain of attack momentarily, but after just one or two seconds, she returned to attack Sela again. Getting impatient and annoyed at how Sela kept on standing her ground, she intensified her attacks further and further, and put more of her Nen to it. Yet, Sela's expression of slight pleasure then changed immediately to a flat bored one as her moan turned to a yawn.

She had seen enough from her opponent, and concluded that she was a disappointment. She would've stayed there to get beaten up more if she could, but she had to win this before she became too disoriented and punch-drunk to fight. So, as Jacklyn kept on punching her, Sela suddenly charged forward and headbutted her opponent, pushing her behind. It managed to surprise Jacklyn, but she was ready to handle Sela once more by preparing her sonic attack again. She noticed Sela was standing before her, and moved on to fire the blast...only to trip as she walked straight to Sela's trap. Like a cat preying on her prey, Sela formed a malicious grin on her face as she pulled her ball yarn again from her pocket.

And a cat likes to play with their prey.

Ten seconds later, Jacklyn found herself completely bound by Sela's yarn - in such an uncomfortable position that made it hard for her to retaliate even if normally it wouldn't be hard for her to break free from bindings like it. She tried to call out for Render, Jezel, and Piper, but it's clear that they're really being busied by each of their opponents to be able to help. She then turned herself to look at the cat that sat beside her with a worried expression, while Sela played around with a rubber ball on her hand.

"T-the hell you're planning to do?"

"This." Once she said that, she threw the ball with as much force as possible to a direction, and at first Jacklyn didn't understand about what the point of it was.

Until the ball bounced on a temporarily solidified platform of Nen, and hit her hard in the face. It then bounced again to another direction, and Sela bounced it back at Jacklyn again. Again and again, the ball kept on bouncing and hitting the poor girl hard as the cat watched in half amusement and half disappointment. After what looked like the thirtieth hit, Jacklyn seemingly was unconscious now. Sela sighed a bit before dragging her out of the arena. It was a promising start, but the girl petered out just as things become interesting. At least she got beat up this much, so it's all good. The rest would be less challenging than the girl she just pushed forward, so the cat decided to take a little victory nap for now inside of the arena. After all, her muscles felt a bit sore from all the sonic punches.

VIwyCMI.jpg

Aduain had done a good job setting up for Emui to get Render out.  The boy was in pain, but having a trident ran through you would do that.  More importantly, the trident was still in him.  It had to be by choice, or quite possibly for survival.  So removing that quickly would kill him or something.  A plan hatched in Emui's head.  Jumping onto Render so that Emui's feet landed on his shoulders, the nekomimi quickly gripped the trident and bounced back off the boy's shoulders, taking the weapon with her.  The sight of blood was never one she liked - especially in the amounts that started coming out of Render once she pulled the trident out - but the hunter exam was on the line here.  She'd put up with it this time.

This was her first time carrying a real weapon, but there had been many times where she'd had to improvise with something nearby in the past.  A trident was basically the same as fighting with a broom...except heavier.  And pointier.  Okay, maybe not that much like a broom after all.  More like a pitchfork.

Giving herself a good spin first, Emui swung the trident around and smacked Render square on the side of the head.  He was down, but no way to know if he was out.  "Stay down there unless mew want a trident through the gut again," she said, for good measure.  "Or even better, just get out of the arena.  Go on, shoo."  It seemed Sela had dealt with her opponent as well.  That meant this was now three versus two.  Easy.

"Hey, kitty kitty! Don'tcha want this?!"

Emui directed her gaze toward Piper.  She was carrying a ball of yarn.  Blasted stereotypes.  Not that she didn't want it or anything.  Once again, a plan quickly hatched in Emui's head.  Running toward Piper, Emui shoved the trident onto the floor, using it as a vaulting pole to hop over her target, grabbing the yarn as she moved over the girl's head.  Ball of yarn get.  "Play nice and give up, would mew?" Emui asked from behind the girl.  "It's three on two, so the odds are in our favor right nyaw."

AN9JTWn.png

Ninsar looked at her opponent.  A battle of epic proportions was about to begin!  Except...not really.  Ninsar wasn't much of a fighter, and her opponent didn't look like the best of brawlers either.  The two stepped up to one another and stared each other in the eyes for a brief moment, before Beaver got the first move.  That move was a spinning sweep kick that knocked Ninsar right off her feet and onto the floor.  However, the small zombie wouldn't give up so easily.  Grabbing her opponent by the ankles, Ninsar opened her mouth wide and chomped down on his leg with all the strength her little jaws could produce.  He squealed in a manner that Ninsar was pretty sure was impossible from a boy before wildly shaking his leg in an attempt to get her off.

"Get her off me!" he shrieked, flailing his leg around until eventually he was able to shake Ninsar's grip on him.  However, this skirmish was far from over.  The two promptly ran at each other and began flailing their arms at each other while keeping their heads back to avoid getting hit in the face.  Honestly it was kind of a sad sight to see the teenaged boy use the same fighting techniques as the thousand-year-old little girl, and a sadder sight that these two were in the running to become Hunters.

Intrigued Lettess looked on as Miaris took on the pirate that had blocked his attacks. He wanted to intervene but it was clear that the "Buffalo" had other plans. The massive red figure stood in the little lads way swinging wild and almost unpredictable blows at the little chef. "Ha if all you got is speed then this is going to be quick then!" The cocky combatant bellowed. Lettess wasn't sure what he meant but he knew that how to actually take on this monster. All he needed was an opening. 

Meanwhile the En and Minus-1 battle still raged on as En just kept blocking the the ice blast that Minus-1 was dishing out. "You're not even attacking!" Shouted the blue ninja. "You are just a relic of the past and you have no idea of what it means to be a current ninja. Fade into nothingness with the melted ice." Minus-1 prepared to shoot a mighty ice blast at En, but as luck would have it the ninja was completely oblivious to how one of his teammates was defeated. Minus-1 then realized that the air was too dense with heat that he couldn't actually generate ice. It was at this moment En took his time to strike. He thrusted straight towards the ninja and gave a him a mighty foot to the mouth almost as a symbol of the ninja's fatal flaw. This kick clearly sent the man out of the ring and En looked onward to see how everyone else was doing.

Lettess was busy dodging blows from the Buffalo while trying not to murder the man. After all Lettess was still wielding his butcher knives and his opponent was going at it barehanded. Maybe this was unfair. That is how he felt until the Buffalo sensed this hesitation. The wild man then gave a Lettess a hook across his face and followed that up with what looked to be sand in young lads eyes. "Too easy brat!" Buffalo shouted as he kicked the tiny child away and he made his way to the falling maiden. 

"HAHAHAHA! It looks like I get to take everyone out myself then. I'll start with the little girl." Buffalo started charging at the falling Miaris. HAHAHAHAHAHA....HA...HA..." his laughter stopped as he fell to the ground while feeling a sharp pain in his legs. He was rendered motionless as he looked forward and noticed that En was already holding the falling girl inside the ring and keeping her from the ring out. From behind he would hear the words of the little boy walking up behind him. 

Just so you know I'm a Sprout chef. I've been trained to cook without the use of my eyes for the longest. Lettess said as he walked up to the man who was bleeding from his legs and facedown on the ground. Lettess wiped his eyes and sat on the mans shoulders while he monologued. You fight like my big brother. He fights dirty too. Except I'm pretty sure he's a lot stronger. Lettess still wiping sand out of his eyes continued. Also something I was curious about. Why do the front of your shoes have like steel guards on them. Your achilles and other valuable muscle parts are on the back of your legs. Makes it kinda easy to cut them down and keep you from moving. Sad too, you had that charge thing goin' for you until you took a swing at my friend. Now it looks like you might not walk again. Lettess pouted. Oh wait you might bleed out if you don't get medical attention. Lettess "looked" up where he thought En was...Hey En can you handle this? En literally tossed the man out of the ring giving the team the win! 

Lettess was smiling, jumping and clapping! WE DID IT! He said trying to high five the team even though he was facing the totally opposite direction of said team!

Letting out a long breath, Arash stared at the one called Tinman. He hadn't been able to see exactly what it was the man did, but it was something...strange. "Hey, whatever that was, it was freaky as hell. I think I'm going to avoid touching you as much as possible." Arash said to him. "But, you actually did something, I'm surprised." To be honest he was surprised that the rest of the team managed to fight as well as they did. He had come in with the assumption he'd be on his own for most of this.

The kid was out of the ring, and Arash wasn't sure they were supposed to go out of the ring until it's over but funk it. He passed by Xiu on his way towards Cammie. "Hey, Xiu, keep that up I might be impressed...Also stay in the ring until they say not to, just in case."

With that he hopped off and headed to the bird. "Kid, ya did good. And you didn't die, which is usually a good thing. Gonna be fun seeing what other crazy sheet you pull off during this." He offered his hand to the boy...which was taken by the cat from before, which had rushed up to him and was now rubbing itself on Arash's hand.

"The funk? No, shoo cat, shoo." The more he attempted to get rid of the thing the closer it got, until it decided to hop onto Arash's arm and climb to his shoulder. "Ahhh funk, guess I've got a new teammate..."

Heart Pounding Battle!

The two had been fighting for awhile now, trading blows back and forth, a grin spread across both of their faces. They were both enjoying having an opponent as skilled as the one they were fighting. Ryuuken took to the offensive and lifted his leg for a roundhouse kick.

Lifting his hands and swatting around Ryu's foot, Felix countered with a monstrous left hook that sent Ryuuken spiraling away until he landed on his neck and shoulders several feet away. Jin smirked as he watched Ryu flip back to his feet and rub his jaw. "You're really good... maybe the best martial artist I ever fought...,"

The two warriors charged forward simultaneously with Ryuuken rearing back for a fist and Felix lifting his leg for a roundhouse kick. With both their limbs shooting out at the same time, the two warriors parried each other's attacks with the resulting impact causing a buffeting wind that spread out and hit the audience watching the fight intently, slightly breaking their ranks with the force of the wind that came from the point of impact. After a brief standstill, Felix lowered his leg and went for a low sweep, but Ryuuken hopped into the air at the same time to strike the ducking Felix in the side of his head with a hopping spin kick.

But when Ryuuken landed and ducked down for what appeared to be an uppercut, Felix was the first to get up and strike the wandering warrior with an uppercut of his own: a standing uppercut that launched Ryu several feet into the air. With his opponent still airborne as Felix stood upright, Felix continued the flurry with an elbow thrust and a high palm before sending Ryu flying away with a straight punch: an attack appropriately named "Justice Combo."

The mountain warrior landed on his hands and flipped back to his feet to see that Jin was already charging him to continue the attack. With only one attack in his arsenal that could effectively stop Felix when he was coming at him that fast, Ryuuken crouched down slightly just as Felix's fist was about to come into contact with his head and soared into the heavens with his own fist catching Felix under his chin and launching him into the air with him.

"Shoryuga!"

Felix tasted blood in his mouth as he experienced the mighty uppercut and plummeted down back-first into the ground. But even as the pain rushed through his head and made it difficult for him to think clearly, Felix formulated his game plan and what would happen when they landed. Ryuuken probably expected the attack to daze him and leave him unable to attack when they landed, but Felix still had enough wits about him to get back up immediately, which he did, charging at the much larger martial artist.

"Justice... TACKLE!!" He cried, wrapping his arms around Ryuuken and going for a suplex. However, he noticed that Ryuuken didn't budge, no matter how much he tugged.

"Hey, it's been fun, but I think I better finished this now," Ryuuken said, freeing himself from Felix's grip and grabbing him with his giant hand. He then proceeded to knee the judo master in the stomach before launching him out of the ring.

Felix did his best to catch himself, but in the end, he landed outside of the ring. He sighed and rubbed his head. "I suppose I have to trust my teammates to get me through this part of the Exam," Felix muttered.

"Good luck to you!" Ryuuken said, bowing to the judo master. Now he hoped his teammates were doing as well as he was.

WYqmEKA.png

Cammie's head was swimming after he finished the fight, but he laughed all the same. The dull pain throbbing through his body seemed unimportant to the small bird as he reveled in his half-victory, clearly enjoying the fact that he managed to take out the much larger opponent. He wheezed a bit as he rubbed his chest, his wings laying back against the ground. They occasionally fluttered as he tried to catch his breath, before he eventually pulled himself up. He couldn't tell if the crowd was cheering for him or not, his mind was still in a daze. What did catch his attention, however, was Arash slowly walking over to him. He blinks a bit and shakes his head, "S-Stay in the ring, mister big kitty, finish the fiiiight!"

"Kid, ya did good. And you didn't die, which is usually a good thing. Gonna be fun seeing what other crazy s*** you pull off during this."

Cammie pulled himself up slowly as he shook his head some, letting out a small yawn. His wings fluttered a bit as he nods, bringing it around to the front of his chest. He started to straighten out the wing, wincing in pain a little bit as he pushed it back into place, a small chirp escaping the downed boy before he started to stand up again.

"Dying... Dying isn't what I want to do... The man wanted to kill me... So... I couldn't let him...! A star can't die before it rises!"

He blinks a bit at the cat that jumped on Arash's shoulder, throwing his hands into the air as he grins, "We getta keep the kitty!"

FZPMbmt.png

BANG

Another meeting of fists.

BANG

And another.

No matter what, Ivory couldn't seem to keep this girl down. She had the stubbornness to match Amber easily, and Spinal couldn't keep the two of them from going at it anymore. It was a pure battle of brawn now, and neither of them seemed to be backing down.

Jezel came rushing forwards towards the shark once again, a loud roar of frustration hitting the girl as she punched at Amber once again. Flames shot around the arena as her focus started to drift. At least one blast of flames shot out towards the audience, badly burning a man on the left side of his face. Another blast went straight into the sky, while another one burnt the edges of Amber's hair...

"You should NOT have done that..."

Amber growls as her punches start to get harder, the impact starting to cause Jezel's fists to shake. Her gauntlets seemed to cushion the impact as she narrows her eyes, the death stare into the fiery girl's eyes only getting more obvious.

"You're going down, sharky."

Jezel brought her fist down to the ground again, this time causing a huge column of flames to rocket towards Amber. She twisted her body out of the way at the last moment, only to have to dodge another barrage of flames. The blasts hit the side of her armor, leaving the leather black, though it still seemed to be together. Amber winced as she growled back at Jezel, this time launching herself forward once more. She punched a few more blasts of fire with her gauntlets, causing the flames to separate around her body. This didn't save her from the searing heat, but she continued her assault. She brought her fist into a direct impact against Jezel's stomach, while Jezel landed a direct hit on Amber's shoulder. 

The two of them were both sent back by the impact of their blows. One of Amber's hands grabbing onto her shoulder while Jezel fell down to her knees, trying to catch her breath after having it all knocked out. Amber watched as Jezel stumbled to her feet once again, charging towards her. She charged right back, her gauntlets grabbing to Jezel's hands as she tried to punch her once again. The flames billowed around the duo, the rising temperature able to be felt throughout the entire arena at this point as she pushes her opponent. Flames swirled around them as the two girls were locked into a pushing match, just trying to brute force their opponent out of the ring. The two seemed to be equal matched... At least until Amber's tail came along and smacked the bottom of Jezel's legs, causing the girl to stumble just long enough for Amber to give her one more push, hard enough to send her toppling out of the Arena.

Of course, but this point, the flames around the area the two had been fighting had risen to be far, far to large for the duo to stomp through with their gauntlets. The shark grumbled a bit as she dusted off her armor, burn marks all over her as she did.

"...Well, crap, I guess fire lady beat us after all."

Amber sighed a bit, shrugging softly as she stepped outside of the Arena next to Jezel, before pausing a moment as she looked around. She frowned a bit when she saw Aduain, seemingly knocked out facedown. She ran over to him, kneeling down a bit as she looks at the smaller fish, huffing a little bit, "We have to get you taken care of, it looks like you had it rough..."

Piper could only watch in despair as her final teammate was knocked out of the Arena as well, leaving her alone. And a tactician without an army? Not much of a tactician. She took a deep breath as she took a few steps back, walking herself over the line to the Arena and knocking herself out of the contest voluntarily. She looked around quickly as she tried to find her teammates, tears in her eyes as she ran over to the conscious ones, by this point her leader seemed to have woken up, if she was a little bit dazed.

"I failed you guys, I didn't identify the enemies quick enough and I failed to come up with a plan, I-I'm sorry!"

Archived