Shonen Jump

No one can deny Shonen Jump's impact on manga. It's produced some of the biggest titles in the entire industry and is arguably the flagship manga magazine in Japan. Though not everyone shares the same tastes.

What do you guys generally think of SJ titles? Do you prefer the older series from the 90s and/or mid 2000s, or is their new era the best?

Well, out of what had caught my interest, this decade would be my favorite due to Haikyuu!! and Nisekoi actually having presence enough to last as long as they do. Don't quote me on that, though, since I haven't gotten past where the anime was for either of them. Next would be 2000s 'cuz I did like Bleach and Naruto (hey, it did start 1999, so pretty close) more than Dragonball's Z era. Hearing that it's all the same manga makes me less enthusiastic about checking it out, but I did grow bored of those others eventually anyway. Not really too much I can really say on the manga side though, but I have shown interest in it a lot more recently.

I've really only read Naruto from them; that, and whatever Yugioh titles they had serialized in there.

So in a way, whatever they printed when magazine was still in text form (physical copy of it), that's about all I read in SJ.

After they went digital, stopped reading it so can't really say if the new wave of series is good or not.

----

Though, I suppose I did get a slight peak at some of the "new" series at one point; a few of them were kinda meh.

I read/did read a lot of Jump titles.

One Piece

Assincation Classroom

Nisekoi

Shokugeki No Soma

Bleach

Naruto

Toriko

Dragonball (not sure if I read the whole thing)

Bakuman

Death Note (not sure if I read the whole thing)

I've always read some of the short lived series that died after 20 chapters. Poor things. I feel like I might have read more complete series, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Sadly, I'm stupid behind on most of those for various personal reasons, but when I do get back into he swing of it, I have a LOT of manga to read.

I just went through my manga list and a good amount of them were Jump titles.

[spoiler=I've read]

Assassination Classroom

Bakuman 

Beelzebub

Bleach

Death Note

Dragon Ball

Dr. Slump

Eyeshield 21

Food Wars

Hikaru no Go

Hungry Joker (one of their short-lived series)

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Medaka Box

My Hero Academia

Naruto

Nisekoi

One Piece

Reborn!

Rurouni Kenshin

Shaman King

Sket Dance

Toriko

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yu Yu Hakusho

So I suppose I owe my love for manga to SJ since they've comprised the bulk of my reading. 

Looking over these ones, I think the most common trait they all share aside from battles is heart. Pretty much every series I listed here showed they had heart at some point and that's what I want to get from manga. And I think that quality resonates with a lot of people, so that's why SJ titles typically have larger appeal.

Though that's not always the case; Monster, Hellsing, Tokyo Ghoul and Green Blood were all good reads. 

One of my favorite manga/anime series used to feature in Shonen Jump. it's called Märchen Awakens Romance, officially abbreviated as MÄR. It ran for 102 episodes and the manga was 161 chapters. It was a great series with awesome fights, it's a lot like Naruto or Bleach except fore fantasy oriented.

If you want to know more I made a detailed thread about it, here's the link: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/346719-m%C3%A4rchen-awakens-romance-m%C3%84r/

One of my favorite manga/anime series used to feature in Shonen Jump. it's called Märchen Awakens Romance, officially abbreviated as MÄR. It ran for 102 episodes and the manga was 161 chapters. It was a great series with awesome fights, it's a lot like Naruto or Bleach except fore fantasy oriented.

If you want to know more I made a detailed thread about it, here's the link: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/346719-m%C3%A4rchen-awakens-romance-m%C3%84r/

Was actually Shounen Sunday. I probably prefer that, it's got Arata: The Legand, Magi (so with all those the ones I've read mostly share the trait of being fantasy), and my favorite manga, Hayate the Combat Butler. But I also prefer the anime of Silver Spoon and Zettai Karen Children to most everything Jump's got (also a shame MÄR was never fully dubbed, hoping to check it out fully sometime soon). But is also a different publisher. You can blame them for only being off by one word though, they're both weekly magazines too.

... Everything that I say here is just going to make me seem like a hipster, but I say okay.

Archived