Nintendo

Nintendo has announced that along with the NX and smartphone games... They will be revisiting anime with some of their properties.

My attention is grabbed.

Any series you wanna see in anime form?

Fire Emblem over here, or Kid Icarus. Or Smash Bros. Especially Smash Bros.

Discuss... And hopefully, we can use this for when they do actually announce which ones they're doing.

[spoiler=Ideas]

Kid Icarus would work; I think the cutscenes from Smash Bros speak for themselves. And they had those minisodes with Uprising a few years ago. They definitely have the cast of characters for it.

Fire Emblem's another no-brainer. I could see them adapting Awakening and Fates to start.

I'd be down for a Metroid anime. But in order for it to be any good, we'd need a good look into Samus' character and one that should be better received than in Other M.  

I'd also like to see a Star Fox one.

For Legend of Zelda, I think they'd be better off doing OVAs. Rather than trying to circumvent the silent Link issue for a whole season's worth of episodes, show snippets of his adventures here and there through occasional OVAs. Use LoZ for visual storytelling, Hyrule is such a rich environment and there's endless possibilities to work with here.

We might see a Mario anime, but I wouldn't expect much out of it. I'd watch it and it could be entertaining, but nothing beyond surface-level stuff.

If they want to make another Pokémon anime, then they should adapt Pokémon Colosseum make Pokémon Origins an ongoing mini-series. Do Gold and Silver next, then proceed every few years with adapting the next gen. Or stop at Gold and Silver, whatever works.

I'm not too familiar with Xenoblade, but that seems like another franchise that would translate well into anime. 

My primary concern is that these adaptations would follow suit with other anime series based off video games. Some anime have been known to be mere shells of their properties and only exist to promote the source material, stuff like Devil May Cry, Devil Survivor 2, and God Eater. I know there has been successes, Persona 4 seemed to resonate with a lot of people and I liked Danganronpa (though I've heard others disagree). 

I just hope they put some effort into the characters and stories instead of just shelling out the bare minimum. Because there's a lot of potential with Nintendo's IPs.

I do think it's interesting that they're doing this, because there are a few Nintendo IPs that have the potential to work as animes.

I would very much like to see a Fire Emblem anime, and a Kid Icarus anime would be pretty cool too, but yeah I agree with Fusion, if they put in the effort rather than exerting the bare minimum there is some potential.

Finally, an A&M thread I can contribute to.

I want to see a Xenoblade and Metroid anime more than anything.  The Metroid Manga shows just how dark and gritty Samus's story is, and telling it from a TV standard might give a better grasp on Samus's personal story.  Of course, keep Yoshio Sakamoto away from that.  As for the Xenoblade potential anime, it could actually deal with the origins of how the two game's biggest plot points came to be.  I won't mention them because they are dangerous spoilers.

In addition to the no-brainer franchises, I get the feeling that among their first candidates can be Splatoon as well, since as far as I know they have already worked on some sort of manga that also doubled as a tutorial for the game.

Now that I think about it, they already have a franchise in anime form: Pokemon. Although I don't know how well it's doing.

Still, I wonder why it took them this long to considering animating more of their franchises.

Akira Himekawa's Zelda manga do a wonderful job of me liking a talkative Link. A voice, or in general him talking in a style more like TP, I feel would more easily ruin it though.

I don't see a Smash Bros. anime working unless they did something like The Subspace Emissary. Having the only point to it be the fighting is why the Keldeo movie is my least favorite of all the Pokemon movies. I know there has something to do with them being toys (or the like) being controlled by like one kid, and I suppose there could really be more to it, but to me, that's not enough.

Any more separate series sounds much more workable, and for me, interest would go to Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem and maybe even Splatoon first.

Give me kid icarus, the Palutena dinner short is pure gold, i need more Palutena in my life, gimme Palutena.

A Splatoon anime could possibly work, there's a lot of hype around it, and it has some potential.

LoZ wouldn't fit really well, unless they made Link speak (and we all know how it went last time they did it...), so that's a no.

Mario is their most popular franchise but it really wouldn't fit as an anime in my opinion.

I feel that a good way for approaching a Smash Bros. anime is as a collection of "slice of life" anime shorts, rather than a series with a plot, continuity, etc. I don't know how to explain myself better, but think of the "Fireball" series, in which the episodes are more about everyday or casual events. Or for a better idea, look at the comics on Smash Bros. made in Brawl in the Family or Awkward Zombie.

A Smash Bros anime would literally kill everyone on the planet.

Why?

The hype would be far too much for anyone to comprehend.

Each Nintendo anime has the same recurring side character: some silly asian dude messing with someone in the background or the protagonist for a second, and then appears at the final after-credits scene.

"My name is Masahiro Sakurai. I'd like to talk to you about the Smash Initiative...because we would like to play."

Archived