[Finished][Striker] YCM Modern Warfare

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=cardgameking]

At first glance, I doubt anybody would use this. The Summon requirements are too difficult to see practical use; therefore, this card just screams gimmicky. If someone decided to run a terrible, gimmicky Dragon Deck, then the rest of the effect comes into play, and the effects are, well, overpowered to say the least. Fusion Summon can’t be negated, but it can be affected by cards like Bottomless Trap Hole and other non-negation anti-Summon cards. The widespread anti-targeting effect for Dragons seems a bit excessive. Maybe Level 4 or lower, though it wouldn’t justify the gimmicky Fusion Summon by itself. The last effect does, but a gimmicky Fusion Summon should not be rewarded with an overpowered effect. You can Summon 2 Dragons (1 from your hand and 1 from your Graveyard due to the and/or) with no chance of the Summon being negated. The implications of that are a bit too numerous, though they all worry me.

Balance: 6/15

Playability: 5/15

Flavor: 6/10

Originality: 6/10

Total: 23/50

[spoiler=Dragon Sage]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there aren’t a lot of practical ways of Summoning this. The Summoning requirements just seem odd to me in terms of playability, though it works in terms of flavor. The first effect brings troublesome thoughts to mind. Soul Charge, in theory, would absolutely overpower this card as you’d essentially get a free mass Summon. Though, you’d only get that during your own turn. Solemn Warning is another as it turns to a free Summon negation. I’m sure there are other uses for the effect, but those two come to mind. The destruction effect does limit this, but a smart duelist would have already used this to its full potential before that happened. The last effect, well, I get the flavor behind it; however, it seems out of place. You could have done better and perhaps did a draw effect or something along those line.

Balance: 7/15

Playability: 8/15

Flavor: 9/10

Originality: 8/10

Total: 32/50

[spoiler=mikel.]

First effect is a De-Synchro and De-Fusion in one, but it also includes an Xyz equivalent. However, it is Dragon specific, though I don’t really mind since having all three of those together is strong. It being a single use hand trap for that effect helps, and it prevents this from being a dead draw in some instances. When you do get to Summon this, you can get an instant R8 or lower Xyz depending on whether you use the Level modification on this or another monster. The same could apply to an instant Synchro monster, though I see Xyzs coming out of this. In fact, this may be too good given the versatility of the effect; however, there are a lot of implications to consider depending on what you are trying to do. The last effect wouldn’t see much use due to the Level modification.

Balance: 11/15

Playability: 10/15

Flavor: 8/10

Originality: 7/10

Total: 36/50

[spoiler=The Taken King]

Hmm, Pendulum Effect makes me believe this card would suit Dracoslayers. Not that familiar with their playstyle, but I guess it could work based on Luster Pendulum’s Pendulum Effect. The Monster Effect just screams “USE ME AS A BEATSTICK!” to me, and it looks like it does that job well. More often than not, you will Special Summon this card. Given that, the protection it gets when it attacks directly (I mean, it is almost certain you would use the direct attack effect) looks overwhelming. I don’t think it needs the attack protection for that very reason. Maybe a more passive protection instead of one that promotes a beatstick mentality?

Balance: 10/15

Total: 34/50

[spoiler=Dova]

Off the bat, you lose points in the flavor department. I say that because Evolzar’s are FIRE Dragon-Type Xyz monsters, and this is not an Xyz monster. Also, what dinosaur is this based on? I ask since the three Evolzar monsters are based on Dinosaurs based on what I’ve researched. Moving on from that, the Summoning requirement forces you to use all the Evo tiers. This makes the card a bit too gimmicky. Be careful of your ands, mate. Because you would be using all the Evo tiers to Summon this, you get access to all the anti-effect/anti-Summon effects that this card has. Just like a previous card, I don’t like it when a gimmicky card is rewarded with a powerful effect(s). Hard OPT helps, but it shouldn’t have access to all three of the effects.

Balance: 10/15

Playabilty: 8/15

Flavor: 6/10

Originality: 8/10

Total: 32/50

[spoiler=cardlover3]

Oh hey, another Chaos monster. As someone who used Chaos regularly, I consider this to be one of my specialties. Standard Summoning method for big Chaos monsters (e.g. BLS, Sorc), so nothing special here. As for the effect, I agree with egotisticalghost that this would have been better if it added the banished monster to your hand instead of your Graveyard to justify the discard; however, I do see a use for it. You could set up a BLS or a Sorc with it, if needed; therefore, it isn’t as useless as some may believe. The clause at the end is not needed as you could have made the effect’s soft OPT a hard OPT instead to prevent abuse and/or an easier BLS/Sorc set-up.

Balance: 12/15

Playability: 8/15

Flavor: 7/10

[spoiler=The Eternal Dolphin]

Hello beatstick Jinzo, how are you doing today? I don’t like the premise of it being able to attack twice with no repercussions. The fact that Trap Cards can’t affect it when it attacks twice makes it extremely overpowered and OTKish, which should be avoided at all costs. Also, it is relatively easy to Summon. Monster on the field and Foolish Burial would be enough to get this out, and then you’re completely protected from Trap Cards on top of that. The difference between this and Jinzo is that the latter only has the anti-Trap effect while the former can do a hell of a lot more. No thank you, mate.

Balance: 3/15

Total: 27/50

[spoiler=XOXO]

I am going to assume that the alternative Summon requirement Special Summons this card from the hand, which is the most reasonable out of all the alternative ideas. From that, I can assume this is supposed to be a more balanced, Dragon Ruler-like card. I am also going to assume that the “once during either player’s turn” was supposed to be “once per turn, during either player’s turn”. Either way, it should’ve been a hard OPT to prevent the off-chance you have multiples of these or other potential abuses. I can see the final effect as potential to set-up further Dragon plays with the Dragon-specific Foolish Burial. Seems interesting.

Playability: 9/15

Originality: 5/10

[spoiler=Enguin]

Primary, if not sole, function of this card is Synchro Summoning Dragon-Type Synchro monsters. Possible outcomes include Stardust Dragon, Red Dragon Archfiend, Stardust Spark Dragon, Black Rose Dragon, etc. Based on that, you could get practically any Dragon-Type Synchro you need for a given situation, which is good playability-wise. It being useful in WIND Decks only does balance its ability to bring out whatever Dragon-Type Synchro you want, which helps I guess. I’m a bit worried, though not that much. In the end, excellent card.

Playability: 11/15

Flavor: 7/10

Total:  37/50

As mentioned before, Darkness' scores should be up Thursday at the earliest. Sorry for the delay folks, but hopefully this second batch of scores helps.

I'm actually surprised in my progression given my rushed wording of the card. It looks like my most lacking feature is originality. I suppose I could have tried to be a bit more unique. W/e though. I always aim for flavor and playability anyhow. (Balance slips my mind at times tbqh)

Winner will be determined by sum of all the scores. Still waiting on Darkness (will bug him again). Here are the current totals.

Enguin: 73/100

The Taken King: 68/100

mikel.: 66/100

Dova: 65/100

Dragon Sage: 64/100

XOXO: 64/100

cardlover3: 63/100

The Eternal Dolphin: 52/100

cardgameking: 51/100

Archived