Wondering if I should ever RP, given past related issues

I've been asked by multiple people on multiple sites to RP. Thus far all of the offers have been politely declined. Shortly before writing this, I decided to ask myself "why not?"

Its true that I feel that reading a well done RP is like reading a good fanfic, but I still feel hesitant to participate in a RP.

Then it hit me:

Years ago, I had this friend who I eventually broke up with. I won't give his real name since I'm not posting this part of the story to attack him, for now I'll just call him 'fatty'. Fatty and I would often do what I would guess one would call a 'verbal RP' using our favorite video game characters as our 'personas' during long car rides together or during other long spaces of time. However, for every verbal 'post' I made, his next 'post' would always 'one up' whatever I had contributed. Its hard for me to describe specifics since its been a long time, but although our characters were allies in these 'verbal RPs' his always came out superior to the point where even the people driving during the aforementioned car rides noticed the trend.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about despite my poor attempts to describe it?

Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed?

edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong section

My cousin and I used to play a game which I would now describe as a two-player D&D, in which we would take turns being the "DM". It started out being similar to those "escape the room" type of games, but later evolved into more of an RP of sorts as we incorporated larger storylines, and sometimes settings and characters from anime and such.

Towards more the beginning of these games, my cousin would usually include a character in all the games he narrated, who always shared the same name across these words, and was a massive Gary Stu. I certainly got annoyed by how perfect and powerful this character was and how I could never overcome him in these games. He would never be an enemy, but also seldom an ally who would directly help me out. He would be aloof and easily solved any problems that came his way, sometimes making things harder for me as a result, all the while ignoring me.

It was a little frustrating, but I noticed I could never do anything in return because I couldn't establish a recurring character like my cousin did, nor make them so perfect.

I did complain and it stopped in time, and after playing some of my cousin's more wonderfully crafted worlds, as well as D&D, I'd say there's not much to worry about. How old were you when you did these verbal RPs? From what I've seen, constant one-upping is common amongst children; you needn't apply it specifically to your RPing experience, and I'm sure the RPers on here are much more considerate than that.

To be honest, that's how I felt. The almost exact same situation happened with me and my friends. However, we were all inexperienced and it kinda broke down, and I too was hesitant to participate in an RP.

Well, I joined one just now, and I really am enjoying myself. The people here are generally very good and welcoming, and I'm liking doing it with them.

It would be nice to RP with you in the future, if you should decide to.

Archived