YuGiMon: Pokemon ROM Hack! (Planning)

Dova

Our Good ol' friend Tinkerer is planning on making a Pokemon ROM hack, and merging it with Yu-Gi-Oh to create YuGiMon (Gotta sack 'em all), an RPG where you basically just catch Yu-Gi-Oh monsters and do everything else Pokemon Style!

Why post a thread when the game is only in the planning stage? Why, for input of course. What would you like to see in such a hack? What Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh Monster synergies do you see? What moves do you see for monsters? Would you rather Red/Blue or Gold/Silver be edited as the base?

Please post what you think!

Credit to XOXO for slogan.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can somehow implement fusing two 'mons together like SMT or something I'd hype the hell out of this. Hell, once you can get fusion to work, Synchros and Xyzs aren't too hard to add on.

If you pick Yellow to start out with(By the way, aren't Gen 3 games better for this sort of endeavor? There's a sheet ton of hacks for those, Touhoumon variants being a favorite of mine) then you can make Gigobyte replace Pikachu or so.

Ok, I'm on my computer now.

As is, I don't think I'll really change up actual functions of the game (implementing fusions and stuff).

My plan with this is:

• replace pokemon with yugioh monsters and change their types/moves accordingly.
  • replace moves to be more in like with yugioh.  However, most of these are too long to fit naturally and most of them would end up being exclusive moves.
  • Change the Hero sprite (maybe?)
  • Change the pokemon to yugioh sprites
  • make small item/(maybe) text edits.  Nothing to really change the gameplay, but stuff like Max Revive becomes M.Reborn, etc. 

What I was looking for is help with which monsters could replace pokemon successfully/evolve, which moves should be replaced, item name changes, perhaps sprite work if anyone is good at that, etc.

Even without altering game functions/map changes/scripting, this would still end up being a pretty big project.

Help and support would be greatly appreciated!

One that works really well with the whole evolution thing: Cocoon of Evolution. You'd have to use the cocoon if any, so I was thinking you might only be able to use 2 of the other 4 forms, but then again, it works more like a branched evolution, and that can definitely be done. Kind of. Would be pretty hard to do that many of them if it was a gen I game. 1 could just be level up (the weakest one the easiest way?), and the others with stones, but I have a feeling those could be saved for more interesting things. 

I will say if anything just don't use Petit Moth, would probably be pretty useless in game anyway. I guess I don't have a concrete idea for the whole thing, but I'm saying it anyway for some reason.

Well, LV monsters are an obvious easy start. Maybe they should be your starters? Pick between Silent Swordsman, Horus, and...m I dunno, Ultimate Insect?

Things like Dark Magician and Blue Eyes can be legends.

No love for armed dragons eh?

Make sure there are moves accurate to effects. Also, spells and traps could be items, like the Raigeki Ball. The Meklord Emperors need to be able to steal synchros in some way. Lava Golem needs to be a thing. Egyptian Gods, Earthbound Immortals, and Exodia can be legendaries. Starters can be Dark Magician, Blue Eyes, and Buster Blader lines.

Make dark magician and dark magician girl duo legendaries, give them the spell type ( strong against: warrior, fairy, and Dragon. Weak against: fiend and idk thunder?). Finishing touch, give DM dark magic attack, and DMG murky burning.

Take off your nostalgia goggles there dude. DMG and DM aren't strong enough to be legendaries. However, the fact that they were some of Yugi's best cards in gen 1 of YGO makes them worthy of being starters in YuGiMon, at least IMO.

STARTERS (perhaps?)

Magician's Valkyria -> DMG -> DM

Red-Eyes B. Chick -> Red-Eyes Retro Dragon -> Red-Eyes B. Dragon

Buster Whelp -> Dragon Buster Destruction Sword -> Buster Dragon

I can dig the latter 2, but it would be pretty awkward having a male Dark Magician Girl, dontcha think? I do like the idea of DMG being a 2 (maybe 3 stage with Magi Magi) but it only being 1 gender (ie. Replacement for the F-Nidoran line).

Any idea for the typings of said starters such that 1 is weak against/strong against the others?

Some monsters which could be interesting are the members of the "VWXYZ" series. This species of YuGiMon could have a somewhat similar gimmick to Eevee, however in the opposite direction; multiple different species evolve into the same specie. By giving each of the base forms a different movepool, you could make the final form rather unpredictable due to sheer diversity of its moves. Though I don't know what the source of evolution might be. You might want to remove their egg-group, as breeding it would most likely give unpredictable results.

If you decide to do the above, some form of split evolution might be necissary for the evolution of "X", "Y" and "Z". You could solve it using evolutionary stones, time of day(though I don't think that is exactly the best option), the way Tyrogue evolves (based on its Attack relative to its Defense), or like Wurmple's: Random.

Other than the above monster, I think "Kuriboh" and "Mokey Mokey" could serve as some sort of mascot similar to Pikachu, The "Gigobyte" series has already been mentioned, but it has my vote. Also, "Yubel" and its other forms could also serve as a nice evolutionary line. In case you are looking for replacements for Plusle and Minun, I think that "Aitsu", "Koitsu", Soistu and Doitsu could fill their roles quite nicely. Though banned in Yu-Gi-Oh!, each of "Dragon Rulers" and their younger version can very well be an evolutionary line. 

I can dig the latter 2, but it would be pretty awkward having a male Dark Magician Girl, dontcha think? I do like the idea of DMG being a 2 (maybe 3 stage with Magi Magi) but it only being 1 gender (ie. Replacement for the F-Nidoran line).

Any idea for the typings of said starters such that 1 is weak against/strong against the others?

Well what could be the other starter then? It should be something from YGO gen 1.

You know, a little bit more insight on how you actually plan on making this would probably go a long way. How would you go about creating all of the things you mention in the thread? Do any of you actually have previous ROM hack experience? If not, then this probably won't make it any further than the brainstorming stages.

Take off your nostalgia goggles there dude. DMG and DM aren't strong enough to be legendaries. However, the fact that they were some of Yugi's best cards in gen 1 of YGO makes them worthy of being starters in YuGiMon, at least IMO.

As I said, not strong enough. STARTERS.

There are several starters higher tier than several legends. Plus the idea is that the cards are legendary cards, which they are. Even in the lore of the anime, iirc. From what I remember in GX. So it's still possible. But it all depends how the story is meant to go and how many legends are wanted.

The Dark Magician duo don't need to be cover legend status but, still.

And Koko's question, must agree with that needing to be answered. It's fun to come up with ideas but I really don't want this going on and on and die off because no one knows how to implement it.

There are several starters higher tier than several legends. Plus the idea is that the cards are legendary cards, which they are. Even in the lore of the anime, iirc. From what I remember in GX. So it's still possible. But it all depends how the story is meant to go and how many legends are wanted.

The Dark Magician duo don't need to be cover legend status but, still.

And Koko's question, must agree with that needing to be answered. It's fun to come up with ideas but I really don't want this going on and on and die off because no one knows how to implement it.

I'm thinking more in terms of how good they are in the actual card game. I don't care about the anime all that much tbh. And there are also some starters that are terrible (Meganium, anyone?). Which is why I suggested they be starters. However, that idea has now been scrapped. Maybe this could be the last starter line:

Debris Dragon -> Stardust Dragon -> Shooting Star Dragon

The only immediate problem I see with this is the fact that all of the starter lines would be dragons. It would be interesting if nothing else, and they do all have different attributes (as far as I know).

I have experience. Not enough to alter complete scripts and events and stuff (hence no implementation of new things like fusion, etc.), but I have done several little rom hack projects.

As is, I think I'm gonna use Gold as the base game. Gen 3 might have more tools, but it also requires another 100+ pokemon to switch to yugioh monsters, a huge number of attacks to switch up, and abilities to contend with.

What do people think about Kuriboh/Kuribabylon being the "Ratata" of the game?

Archived